PDA

View Full Version : AD&D 2nd Ed Looking for Swamp Adventure with a Dragon (AD&D and BECM okay too)

Lord Torath
2015-10-02, 11:12 AM
I'm looking for a swamp-based adventure for my PCs (5 at level 6-8) that includes a dragon. Does anyone know any modules that would be a good place to start?

I'm setting it in the Grand Duchy (in the Known World - Mystara), but we're playing (mostly) pre-PO 2nd Edition rules. I'm planning on stashing a Holy Avenger in the treasure pile at the end for the paladin in the party.

Also, I need an interesting (possibly custom) magic item for a thief. He's just about maxed out his stealth skills, so a ring of Invisibility (or something similar) would effectively negate all the points he's put into those skills.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Digitalelf
2015-10-02, 07:38 PM
I'm looking for a swamp-based adventure for my PCs (5 at level 6-8) that includes a dragon. Does anyone know any modules that would be a good place to start?

In the 2nd edition Draconomicon (a Forgotten Realms supplement), there are a few adventures that (surprisingly enough) feature dragons. One of the adventures is set in a swamp.

It features a black dragon that is encountered within the swamp, while thrashing about and muttering obscenities. When it notices the party, it quickly turns to them and takes an inhalation of breath, and pauses... Then it asks: "What do you want?" If the party does not immediately attack (or simply run away) the dragon sees an opportunity in them, and asks if they would be willing to help him with a little problem... It would seem that this male dragon's mate is a real shrew and driving him nuts, and he asks the party to "steal" some of his treasure so that he will then look bad in the eyes of his mate and thus leave him for "richer" pastures...

The supplement can be purchased on PDF over at DnDClassics.com (http://www.dndclassics.com/product/16821/FOR1-Draconomicon-2e?term=draco&it=1) and the adventure's name is: Invitation to A Robbery, and is for 4-6 characters of levels 6-8. But depending upon how you handle the paladin's code, it may need to be adjusted accordingly.

Occasional Sage
2015-10-06, 12:07 AM
Quagmire may be adaptable; it's Expert, not AD&D or 2e, but in my memory has a very good swamp feel and is the right level range for a first encounter with a dragon.

Google also turns up Swamplight (http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=8668).

Lord Torath
2015-10-06, 07:28 AM
Swamplight might work. The baddies there are Rakshasha, not dragons, but I think it's probably still a good fit. I'll have to give Quagmire another look. It seems like Needle is another swampy adventure.

Any thoughts for a unique magic item for a thief? I'm contemplating something that will let him use his Hide in Shadows while moving (to better let him back-stab)

LibraryOgre
2015-10-06, 01:17 PM
I know that The Night Below's opening section (the Haranshire) has a dragon in the swamps to the south. I believe the adventure Under Illefarn also included a dragon in the local swamps, but that's less clear.

While not really unique, you might consider a Cloak of Elvenkind for your thief... or, at least, a similar thief-specific item that lets them use part of their Hide in Shadows while moving, depending on the speed.

Lord Torath
2015-10-06, 03:18 PM
I thought about a Ring of Invisibility, or a Cloak of Elvenkind, but both of those replace your Hide in Shadows skill, and he's put so many points in that skill that it seems mean to negate all that effort. So yeah, I'm leaning toward a custom item that will let him hide and move.

I'll have to give The Night Below and Under Illefarn a closer look.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

LibraryOgre
2015-10-06, 03:37 PM
I thought about a Ring of Invisibility, or a Cloak of Elvenkind, but both of those replace your Hide in Shadows skill, and he's put so many points in that skill that it seems mean to negate all that effort. So yeah, I'm leaning toward a custom item that will let him hide and move.

I'll have to give The Night Below and Under Illefarn a closer look.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I would use the Cloak of Elvenkind as a baseline... or, heck, make it a technique he is taught, rather than an item he gains. So, if he holds completely still, he gets to use 100% of his HS skill... basic roll, basic use. If he's moving at X, he gets to use Y% of his skill; if he's moving at Z, he gets to use A%, until he's moving faster than the technique (or item) will let him hide.

Finieous
2015-10-07, 03:24 PM
Of more recent vintage. Fane of the Sun Swallower in Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle has a black dragon (actually a mated pair) in the Lizard Marsh (Forgotten Realms, Sword Coast). They live below a ruined temple (suitable location to find a holy avenger) occupied by plague-ridden lizardmen who worship them, and the male is up against it because he was supposed to watch the dragon eggs that were stolen by a swamp-dwelling clan of half-orcs and his mate will be home soon. It has some plot bits that tie in with the rest of the GoDC story line, but it's easy to run as a standalone location-based adventure (I did). It shouldn't be too difficult to run with AD&D rules.