PDA

View Full Version : Food for Cyberpunk Game

ClockShock
2015-10-02, 03:33 PM
I'm running a one-shot for some friends I don't usually have the time to game with, and I've got plenty of time to prepare.

Since we all know that overplanning the actual scenario will be a wasted endeavour, I want to spend some time overplanning peripherals to aid immersion.

I've got some music sorted (although additional suggestions would be welcomed), and some ideas for props that I will be putting together, but I'm stuck with food. We'll break to eat part way through and I want to serve something that fits the game, but I'm lost for ideas.

It's a fairly typical dystopian/cyberpunk setting. The system is Shadowrun, should it be relevant (is it possible to have a system specific suggestion?).

I don't want to have to stop the game for two hours while I prepare and cook, so something that can largely be prepared the day before and left to its own devices on the day would be ideal. I don't have a microwave.

Does the playground have any creative ideas?

Grinner
2015-10-02, 03:37 PM
Protein bars and Five-Hour Energy. :smallamused:

But seriously, I wouldn't worry too much about food. Part of the cyberpunk conventions is that the food is all preprocessed and prewrapped, being nutrient-rich junk food. Nothing impressive, in other words.

Eldan
2015-10-02, 04:39 PM

But seriously, I wouldn't worry too much about food. Part of the cyberpunk conventions is that the food is all preprocessed and prewrapped, being nutrient-rich junk food. Nothing impressive, in other words.

And here I was about to suggest soy and algae mush. :smallbiggrin:

LibraryOgre
2015-10-02, 05:35 PM
Somewhat depends on your cyberpunk, but...

Ramen, perhaps with tofu chunks.
Junk food that has ingredients listing many, many chemicals.

Those are what comes to mind.

JAL_1138
2015-10-02, 05:50 PM
Soylent. Someone is actually making a foodlike product (actually a meal-replacement shake) by that name.

For obvious bonus points, add some green food coloring.

TheThan
2015-10-02, 05:52 PM
I’m assuming you’re going whole hog here.

What food you choose depends on the sort of atmosphere you want to convey. If the setting is the high-rise corporate world of Neo-Tokyo, then sushi and other Japanese food may be appropriate. If it’s in the slums of Neo-Shanghai then Chinese food would be appropriate, maybe some street fair. If you’re in the states, then something multi-cultural might suffice; if you’re in say Neo-Los Angeles, then some Mexican food mixed in with other cultural dishes may work out. Use your imagination, watch Cyberpunk movies and figure out what sort of feel you want to give your presentation.

JAL_1138
2015-10-02, 05:59 PM
...for non-whole-hog options, some form of Asian take-out (preferably in those little trapezoidal boxes) and some coffee is about guaranteed to be appropriate.

(And depending on the restaurant, delicious.)

shadow_archmagi
2015-10-03, 08:22 AM
Start the campaign in a Stuffer Shack, serve the party Taco Bell.

Start the campaign in a runner bar, serve the party TGIF wings.

Lvl 2 Expert
2015-10-03, 08:34 AM
Smutto (http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2008-08-08).

:smalleek:

JAL_1138
2015-10-03, 08:45 AM

While natto is a popular dish (if an acquired taste with a bizarre texture), and huitlacoche is also known by the non-ironic nickname "Mexican truffle" in culinary circles, combining the two may be....unwise.

ClockShock
2015-10-03, 09:13 AM
Thanks all - I've been able to work with some of these ideas.

I've found a place that sells blank trapezoid take-out boxes, so some kind of chinese street food is an option.

Alternatively, for the everything is pre-processed and packaged angle: sealable foil bags (http://i00.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/885/033/631/631033885_847.jpg)

I should be able to print out logos for either.

Now I need to figure out which is least likely to poison my guests.

Zrak
2015-10-03, 10:17 AM
In Shadowrun, specifically, animal life has become so scarce that real meat is extremely rare and most people get their meat fix and protein requirements from synthetics made out of mycoproteins. This is actually a real thing (http://www.quorn.us/), pretty tasty, and easy to prepare to suit your session's location.

ClockShock
2015-10-03, 10:26 AM
In Shadowrun, specifically, animal life has become so scarce that real meat is extremely rare and most people get their meat fix and protein requirements from synthetics made out of mycoproteins. This is actually a real thing (http://www.quorn.us/), pretty tasty, and easy to prepare to suit your session's location.

Half the household is vegetarian, so we've already got that part sorted. :)
Well reminded though, as it will make preparation easier.

rooster707
2015-10-03, 01:14 PM
Pizza!

Tell them it's future pizza.

Mr Beer
2015-10-03, 04:36 PM

Seems appropriate, it should convey a dystopian sense of soul-crushing despair to the consumers.

Zrak
2015-10-03, 04:55 PM
Xuitlacoche is probably just in there for the name, though. It's delicious, and not even in the acquired-taste way natto may or may not be edible.

JAL_1138
2015-10-03, 06:51 PM
Xuitlacoche is probably just in there for the name, though. It's delicious, and not even in the acquired-taste way natto may or may not be edible.

Corn smut: funny name, mildly horrifying appearance, tastes like some of the best mushrooms you'll ever eat, with a hint of sweetcorn. (Although the canned variety can develop a bit of a funk and can be offputting--so can canned mushrooms, granted--but fresh it's amazing stuff, when and if you can find it). And it's better for you than the corn it grows on.

Lvl 2 Expert
2015-10-04, 03:52 AM

O, I bet both are pretty great (never had them, should do that sometime), and even the smutto mix is probably still good food. This topic just made me think of that strip. The way it's drawn there at least it does look like something they might serve in a cyberpunk setting.

ThinkMinty
2015-10-04, 10:46 AM
Take-out noodles? Nothing says "It's the future and we're all ****ed but look out, we got a badass over here." circa the late '80's like some random guy eating noodles while it's raining.

JAL_1138
2015-10-04, 11:19 AM
Shadowrun-specific to some extent, but soykaf (http://www.soy.com/Soy-Coffee_c_42.html) is a staple of the setting.

(Link only to prove the stuff exists IRL; surely to god there's some cheaper brands out there, but my Google-Fu is failing me.)

Nifft
2015-10-04, 11:20 AM
Textured veggie protein on a pizza.

Textured veggie protein mixed in and fried with scrambled eggs and spices, served on top of rice.

Seaweed wrapped around rice and amaranth, served like greek grape leaves.

Seaweed mixed into a traditional Western salad.

Ninjaxenomorph
2015-10-04, 10:27 PM
If you're on a budget, just toss some cup noodles at them and tell them they havent had a good job in months.

ZeroGear
2015-10-04, 11:01 PM
A lot of cyberpuk games tend to have asian-esque themes in them, so why not get some asian-esque junk food?
If you have a local asian food story, see if you can buy some snacks that you don't normally find in the US. Things like ramen, pocky, shrimp flavored chips, soft chews, bean-paste buns, and wasabi-flavored items work rather well.
If that's not your thing, try out some of the unique asian soft drinks in stock. Depending on your tastes, tea sodas, ramune, jelly-drinks, or ginseng sodas are a good way to add variety to your game. If you want extra fancy, get sushi.
If you want a more global feel, try getting items form multiple ethnic stores. Mexican-, Arabic-, Asian-, French-, and Italian food stores have unique varieties of processed foods and snacks that work well with a blended culture theme (like they have in Bladerunner or The 5th Element). If you can find it (and have some spare change) try getting some 'space ice cream' form your local history museum gift shop.

On the other hand, you can try going 'retro' by getting rare or older varieties of US soft drinks. Many old-fasioned candy stores have 'vintage' sodas like 'Spiffy Cola' (a brand that makes me think of Fallout), 'Cherrywine', 'Brownie Root Beer', or similar brands. Accompany that with simple dishes such as deviled or hard-boiled eggs, steamed vegetables, baked beans, hotdogs, and other simple meals that can be made to keep to fit a more 'throwback' theme.

Lastly, the easiest answer is pizza. Almost every version of the cyberpunk future has it.

Hope that helps.

JAL_1138
2015-10-04, 11:51 PM
*Minor correction: "Cheerwine" is the name of the soda, not "Cherrywine." It's also the one of the best cherry sodas ever made. (The diet version is one of the worst, however.) A bit regional, may be hard to find outside the southeast, although it's spreading a bit through Pepsi distributors. Try some if tou can find it.

Other retro/oddballs include Double Cola, Sioux City, Frostie, Nehi, RC, Red Rock (their ginger ale is some potent stuff, approach with caution), Dr. Brown's (try the Cel-Ray...celery soda shouldn't work, but it somehow does), Ale-81, and the original--and definitely an acquired taste--Moxie.

ZeroGear
2015-10-05, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the correction. Also, on the topic of drinks:
A few stories I know feature prolific use of either grilled, roasted, or stewed meats (usually "hobos" roasting whatever they find in the slums) and semi-solid or liquid nutrient mixtures. If that is heavily featured, I would recommend thick soups, smoothies, bean or nut pastes, creams, and anything else that you could picture coming in the form of a squeeze-tube.

Gorilla2038
2015-10-05, 12:38 AM
Noodles. Cyberpunk badasses eat noodles. Decker? Noodles. Dallas? Noodles. Karl Urban in being human? More noodles.

Honestly, doing some Terayaki noodles with a side cold Lo Mien salad ( Maybe apple, raspberry vinegar, scallion/ginger?) Either that, or make some good miso ramen and pork buns. Every thing can be premade and nuked.

*I'm a chef. And ston...hungry. Its OK, everyone is hungry in Seattle.

Nifft
2015-10-05, 11:36 AM
A few stories I know feature prolific use of either grilled, roasted, or stewed meats (usually "hobos" roasting whatever they find in the slums)

Hmm!

You could cook rabbit meat and tell the players to pretend it's unspecified urban rodents. (Obviously you'd first tell the players that it's actually rabbit.)

You could also make a lamb / buffalo / bacon hamburger mix and serve "hobo burgers" which will taste pretty good, but also disturbingly unlike beef. (This is good if you're in a location with a grill.)

Thinker
2015-10-05, 02:03 PM
Jello. Lots and lots of jello.

shadow_archmagi
2015-10-06, 08:41 AM
Jello. Lots and lots of jello.

Jello lit by LEDs. The custom plates will pay for themselves in the long run, I'm sure.

Rativohra
2020-12-30, 07:01 AM
I'm running a one-shot for some friends I don't usually have the time to game with, and I've got plenty of time to prepare.

Rativohra
2020-12-30, 07:02 AM
I've got plenty of time to prepare.

Duff
2020-12-30, 09:52 PM
In approximate order from best food to most realistic for a overworked/underpaid 'Runner (also most conveniant)

...for non-whole-hog options, some form of Asian take-out (preferably in those little trapezoidal boxes) and some coffee is about guaranteed to be appropriate.

(And depending on the restaurant, delicious.)

Somewhat depends on your cyberpunk, but...

Ramen, perhaps with tofu chunks.
Junk food that has ingredients listing many, many chemicals.

Those are what comes to mind.

anthon
2020-12-31, 12:09 AM
pizza and caffeine are both staples of gamers and staples of characters within cyberpunk.

Ramen can also be true to this.

want to get creative? Run a Japan town bladerunner style and prepare Okonomiyaki, which is sort of like a cross between pizza and a noodle omelet.

Chili is another good trope, since people in cyberpunk often eat dog food from a can and many brands look just like it.

Refried beans cooked over an actual flame, or MREs.

You can get MREs sometimes from places like WinCo.

if you don't care about themes, just make some cookies and pass out cheap soda. Makes most people happy.

LibraryOgre
2020-12-31, 09:10 AM
Soychips and soyburgers.

Altheus
2021-01-02, 05:01 AM
Pot noodle. Microwave burgers that may or may not be meat from the advertised animal. Anything sugary and full of chemicals with no redeeming nutritional value.

BisectedBrioche
2021-01-02, 09:05 AM
It's been mentioned, but I was also going to suggest Quorn mycoprotein if it's available where you live.

It's fairly tasty, subs pretty well in most meat-based recipes (I like to use it in stir fries), but still has that cyberpunk synthetic food vibe.

Lo'Tek
2021-01-03, 06:32 PM
falafel // potato and spinach balls --> mixed stuff that stays together when pressed to a ball
chūn juǎn // croquette // sambusa --> mixed stuff that is packed in dough and fried or baked
soup // protein shakes // smoothies --> mixed stuff in liquid form that can be bottled or bagged

-> basic paradigms : quantifiable, mass produced, little overhead (packaging, dishes, cutlery, etc)

Home cooking is rather uncommon for runners --> food stalls, deliveries and packed prepared meals

Street food becomes comparatively cheap: lower class food kitchens are everywhere: people buy in bulk, sell in meals, work all day and sleep on their storage with a gun under their pillow - or work in shifts 24/7.

Street markets are common, selling all goods of daily needs, especially food. Highrises and arcologies have mall levels, but people also sell at their apartment doors. If you can find an unlicensed barber shop, or even doctor there, imagine how many people make a business catering to daily needs. Expect a gang to be close. Many doors will also stay shut, if you look like danger. People will sell food for some profit, but are terrified of being robbed of what little they own.

So the main supplier are street food markets. People go there, buy whatever fits their taste. Some bring their own bowl to a soup seller, others rent one with a unique ar-tag. Behind a choke-point with a guard there are large buffets where cameras watch and bill every piece taken. Automatic fast food parlors deliver ordered food on a conveyor belt, Vending machine restaurants and liquid lunch from a tap dump labor cost to almost nothing.

Food delivery replaced minimum wage drivers by even cheaper drones or street-urchins. Use of rentable dishes is less common here then throwaway packaging. Food sometimes disappears on the way.

Lastly there is industrial processed prepared foods. Make no mistake most of the ingredients food market vendors have are industrial processed, but this food is what you see today in supermarkets: plastic wrapped microwave-pizza, dehydrated capsule-soup and capsule-coffee - you get used to the taste of condensed industrial nutrients with "authentic miso-aroma", a touch of soycaf, mold and chlorine. Yet i don't think you can offer that to your players IRL.

in Shadowrun food costs are included in lifestyle as part of monthly costs and handwaved to simplify gameplay, except when runners eat well above their lifestyle.

In the neon-future urban megacity only people with an upper class lifestyle have a room sized kitchen. Middle income population may have tiny kitchens to heat something, keep food refrigerated and wash dishes in their private living space, probably in a high rise, with running water, electricity and storage space. Electricity is omnipresent, but good water is luxury: contemporary western europeans believe that tap water does not smell like chlorine or similar chemical disinfectants and If they travel to india they get stomach pain from the bacteria in the water. At poor lifestyle storing any amounts of food and clean water becomes a problem: runners who sleep in a capsule hotel have little to no space, even if there is a shared guest kitchen and rentable lockers. Those who squad in the slums must consider the problem of having their stuff stolen. Some runners live in their cars, especially if they have a rigger-van, but megacities expand upwards and are not trailer-park friendly: getting a van in and out of a decent spot in the clogged streets of slum district is a pain and one can't sink much lower than squatting in an unofficially settled underground car park.