PDA

View Full Version : 'Worst' game ever?

Emperor Ing
2007-05-19, 02:07 PM
Inspired by the "Best game ever" thread on this post, I made this. Not all video games are good. Some either arent that good, others just cause your console or computer to secrete a foul-smelling ooze. I would like you to share any such games you have. :smallwink:

The worst game I played has to be Medal of Honor, European Assault. Between enemy glitched accuracy, and enemies shooting through walls, this game is a prime example of the skinky goo that my Gcube secreted. Enemies from the other side of the warzone were able to shoot me as if theyre at pt blank range. Im certain it was easy difficulty.

Setra
2007-05-19, 02:39 PM
I'd say E.T. or Aquaman Battle for Atlantis, but I've never played em.

The worst game I have ever played was... er... I can't remember.. it was a RPG/TBS like Disgaea, but it sucked... the main character was this Nun or something?

Yuki Akuma
2007-05-19, 03:00 PM
Obligatory Superman 64.

Also Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing and any Phillips CD-i Zelda game you care to mention.

Pronounceable
2007-05-19, 04:21 PM
If this Superman 64 is what I think it is, then it IS the worst game ever. The one which you play (surprise!) Superman who loses health when he hits a FLYING BRICK or a WIREFENCE.

That is possibly the worst game ever, and the only reason a friend and I finished it was because it's on MAME which allows us to have unlimited coins. And we were drunk. OK, that's two reasons.

Morty
2007-05-19, 05:10 PM
Well, worst game I've played is probably Might & Magic IX. That game was some sort of mistake. Stupid plot, disgusting graphics(not important in cRPG, but that...) boring combat, screwed-up class system...
I generally carefully plan what I'm going to play, so I don't end up playing crap.

Glaivemaster
2007-05-19, 05:46 PM
I tried to play FF2 once. Maybe it gets better later, but I remember hating it

Thiel
2007-05-19, 06:08 PM
Top Gun and Top Gun: The Second Mission for the NES. Those games must be the worst games I've ever played.

Ranis
2007-05-20, 12:06 AM
The Magic: Battlegrounds game for Xbox.

You shall NOT emulate a card game WITHOUT THE CARDS. kthx.

Meeeeebit
2007-05-20, 12:14 AM
Warhammer: Mark of chaos

The atoms that make up this game should of been put too better use as ****!
the blody creators sucked up $60 from .

Why?:
Bugs
graphics wemt weird for some units
Story= crapness
Multiplayer= like 2 day download of patch!
No skirmish/death match
Some of multiplayer maps are screwed up
Only 2 playerable races in the story

zomfg :smallfurious:

Setra
2007-05-20, 02:08 AM
I tried to play FF2 once. Maybe it gets better later, but I remember hating it
A lot of people do, I don't harbor any real like of it, the system is interesting, but is flawed.

Hunter Noventa
2007-05-20, 02:46 AM
The worst game I have ever played was... er... I can't remember.. it was a RPG/TBS like Disgaea, but it sucked... the main character was this Nun or something?

I think you're thinking of La Pucelle. A subpar game, but hardly the worst ever.

Magna carta: Tears of Blood is a pretty wretched game,a nd the worst of my collection I'd say. Very pretty, and some interesting gameplay, but the interesting quickly turns to irritating when you can no longer use any attacks because you deplete the area of the energy you need for them and can't replenish it easily.

Setra
2007-05-20, 02:49 AM
I think you're thinking of La Pucelle. A subpar game, but hardly the worst ever.
Ah yes, thank you.

I don't play many horrible games, it was one of the few I could remember.

Sephiroth
2007-05-20, 04:25 AM
please don't hate me for this
i think LOZ WW is the WORST GAME EVER like come on the only best thing about it the that bosses and the darknuts also little cute mako but still game play DUMB detail OMG I WANT TO KILL MYSELF and well difficult EASY

Pagz
2007-05-20, 04:37 AM
Not so much the worst game, but I remember thinking "I just wasted a large amount of time playing this hyped up game and getting nothing but frustration out of it", Black and White.

It was almost painful to slowly creep up your worship, and the storyline.... geezus, the most anti-clamatic thing ever!

I mean... the evil guy just dies! no major battle, the largest pain in the ass trying to town crawl to his volcaino, and YOUR CREATURE IS SCREWED FOR THE FIRST HALF OF THE LAST LEVEL! It nearly drove me insane, and all that was left when you finally beat it is villagers you've seen/killed in the past, fireworks and a giant black hole in your soul.

Can't think of the worst at the moment.

Om
2007-05-20, 04:50 AM
Bah. I actually had a pretty bad game in mind but now I've forgotten it.

We should probably limit this to games that you've actually played though. I doubt that anyone on this forum has ever played Big Rigs, for example.

Dhavaer
2007-05-20, 05:09 AM
I seem to remember a game called 'Howzat' that got 2% in a review. It was described as a cricket game in which you could not control the batting, bowling or fielding.

Elliot Kane
2007-05-20, 11:39 AM
Not so much the worst game, but I remember thinking "I just wasted a large amount of time playing this hyped up game and getting nothing but frustration out of it", Black and White.

It was almost painful to slowly creep up your worship, and the storyline.... geezus, the most anti-clamatic thing ever!

Can't think of the worst at the moment.

I agree. So boring I never finished it. And there's only about four levels to the thing in total...

Your followers are utter morons who can't do a thing without you, and your Creature is nearly as bad. Add in the mpossibly slow creep to gain any ground at all and it is just NOT worth the effort!

Not sure it's the worst game ever, but it's nothing I'd ever recommend.

J_Muller
2007-05-20, 02:23 PM
Black and White isn't bad per se, but there are definitely moments where it gets tedious and very annoying. I never got past the first part of the third island, where you need to take control of a village that's outside your influence. Mind-numbingly tedious in a totally cheap way.

Zaggab
2007-05-20, 03:34 PM
I would defintately have to say SimEarth.

Imagine the whole world divided in maybe 20x40 squares. And then you have to develop life etc. After 20 minutes you get so sick of it that you let loose some vulcanoes (that can obliterate Australia), some normal meteors and some Ice meteors to drown the planet.

After these 25 minutes, you are so sick of the game that all you want is to beat up God to get that lost time back, and bulldoze the game into nothingness.

Though I didn't do that, I gave it to friend as a birthday present... MOAHAHHA!

Sephiroth
2007-05-20, 03:43 PM
Sim city the only fun i have was destroying the city

The_Snark
2007-05-20, 03:44 PM
I would defintately have to say SimEarth.

Imagine the whole world divided in maybe 20x40 squares. And then you have to develop life etc. After 20 minutes you get so sick of it that you let loose some vulcanoes (that can obliterate Australia), some normal meteors and some Ice meteors to drown the planet.

After these 25 minutes, you are so sick of the game that all you want is to beat up God to get that lost time back, and bulldoze the game into nothingness.

Though I didn't do that, I gave it to friend as a birthday present... MOAHAHHA!

Actually, I kept at it, and didn't even set off volcanoes and meteors after the mandatory first-created world. I think everyone's first world ends in an apocalyptic firestorm; when they give you the means to rain down natural disasters, of course you're going to use them.

My second-created world, I nurtured caringly, introducing bacteria, plants, invertebrates, and such on up the food chain, although I stuck a human down way too early just for fun. (It died.) After maybe half an hour, I get a warning that the seas are boiling off. Despite numerous attempts to figure it out, I can't stop them. My second world dies as the seas boil, and I'm left staring at a solid red map in which glaciers sublime in seconds and even the bacteria can't survive.

After a couple halfhearted attempts to figure out the control scheme, I gave it up. As amusing as watching my world destroy itself was, that was a pretty bad game.

Netherwood
2007-05-20, 09:11 PM
Actually, I kept at it, and didn't even set off volcanoes and meteors after the mandatory first-created world. I think everyone's first world ends in an apocalyptic firestorm; when they give you the means to rain down natural disasters, of course you're going to use them.

My second-created world, I nurtured caringly, introducing bacteria, plants, invertebrates, and such on up the food chain, although I stuck a human down way too early just for fun. (It died.) After maybe half an hour, I get a warning that the seas are boiling off. Despite numerous attempts to figure it out, I can't stop them. My second world dies as the seas boil, and I'm left staring at a solid red map in which glaciers sublime in seconds and even the bacteria can't survive.

After a couple halfhearted attempts to figure out the control scheme, I gave it up. As amusing as watching my world destroy itself was, that was a pretty bad game.

Did you remember to add an Ozone layer? :smalltongue: Seriously, that game didn't just make you worry about the landscape and creatures, it had settings for basically every aspect of the planet. That would be why I could never keep anything alive. stupid SimEarth...

Fus.Weapon 1337
2007-05-20, 11:38 PM
Obligatory Superman 64.

Also Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing and any Phillips CD-i Zelda game you care to mention.

What was for dinner, anyway?

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-05-20, 11:49 PM
Infiltrator for the NES.

For starters, you were Secret Agent Jimbo. The name alone...sigh.

The flying mission was just bland after I eventually figured out how to fly without crashing.

The land missions were repetivie, and I never ever did figure out what I was supposed to be doing and to top it all off, Secret Agent Jimbo never learned to swim!!! How does a secret agent not know how to swim. He can fly a plane for Shock's sake, but basic self-boanacy eludes him.

kellandros
2007-05-21, 12:02 AM
Heavy Nova, for the Genesis.

A fighting game that predates Street Fighter II, and lacks any cohesive control scheme. Add in two additional flaws, and it becomes ridiculous.

You automatically turn around if your opponent gets past you, UNLESS you are in the middle of an attack animation. Then you are stuck, until it finishes all the attacks you had been furiously button mashing. And if you jump, you become invincible. Projectile attacks are instantly useless.

BanjoTheClown
2007-05-21, 12:07 AM
This game for Psx, It was called Ehrgeiz. It had ff7 characters in it, but it still sucked.:smallfurious:

averagejoe
2007-05-21, 12:29 AM
Brings me back. One night my friend and I read EGM's "Top Ten Worst Games Ever" and downloaded a few of the roms for those games, to find that they were as bad as all that.

Let's see... there was the DnD game for the NES. Horrible, horrible, horrible. It didn't even work either.

There's always that diabetes based game. Even if one respects what the game is trying to do, it was a horrible, horrible game.

Oh, and ET is even worse than they say it was.

Jerthanis
2007-05-21, 04:08 AM
Let's see... there was the DnD game for the NES. Horrible, horrible, horrible. It didn't even work either.

Oh man, that was the one where there was no button that could possibly make your character attack, wasn't it? Oh geez that game was terrible.

I'm gonna say that Stake is the worst game ever. It's an arena style fighting game with no special moves at all as far as I could tell, shoddy level design fraught with errors and bugs, terrible music, no useful items (including some items which appeared to randomly change the effect they'd have on pickup) and you get the worst game ever made in my opinion. The gameplay was entirely running around the level trying to find people, then executing the same 3 hit combo on each other over and over until one of you died.

There are games which are terrible and those that just don't appeal to anyone but a niche market. Sim games and Black and White appeal to people who aren't me, but I can see them potentially being fun for the right type of person. Some games are entirely unambitious, repetitive or boring, but otherwise are inoffensive like Bujingai, Dark Cloud, or Dead to Rights, and then there's the abominations against livelihood itself like Stake, Superman 64 or Burger King's Stealth action game. There are bad games that exist on entirely other levels beyond, "I got bored with it" or "The graphics annoyed me" or something.

Cubey
2007-05-21, 04:27 AM
Worst game I've ever played... hmm. I'm struggling to choose between Dink Smallwood and Knights of Xentar. If you played any of them, you know why. If you haven't - words can't describe them. Just feel lucky you didn't.

Setra
2007-05-21, 06:28 AM
This game for Psx, It was called Ehrgeiz. It had ff7 characters in it, but it still sucked.:smallfurious:
I've played Worse.

It actually wasn't that bad, I'd give it a 6.5/10.

PlatinumJester
2007-05-21, 07:28 AM
A Bards Tale - press left and you go forwards, press right and you go left, press attack and you explode.

The Great Skenardo
2007-05-21, 08:42 AM
Endorfun: I think even playing the demo of this one caused my computer monitor to spontaneously become tie-dyed, that's how trippy it is. The concept is sound: Roll a multicolored cube around the map, picking up small squares for points. It was... the ambiance that made it so bad. It was supposed to be a "Wellness enhancement game" in which the music was made by stringing together the game 6-second loops together in random patterns with subliminal soundclips such as:
"I feel joyful now."
"I love being Alive"
"I love the world and it loves me!"

0_o

Indon
2007-05-21, 08:57 AM
A Bards Tale - press left and you go forwards, press right and you go left, press attack and you explode.

That's not at all how I remember the play for the game. Was your Controller/Keyboard functioning correctly?

If I remember, the game played a lot like the later Wizardry games (or Eye of the Beholder or any of those other D&D-ish RPG games). Turn-based combat, AD&D AC tally, etc.

And as for SimEarth; I'm pretty sure more meteors and volcanoes lead to more atmosphere. You get the heat and humidity up to start producing little bacteria and then you can start tweaking the actual content of the humidity. I'm not sure I ever managed to evaporate all my oceans, though.

Edit: I think the worst game I ever played was Ultima: Exodus for the NES. A potentially pretty good game, except from what I recall, your party ate food faster than you could obtain money to pay for more food, leading to inevitable starvation.

Elliot Kane
2007-05-21, 11:43 AM
The more I think about it, the more I'm going with Black & White as the worst game I've ever played. While the likes of the original Neverwinter Nights were poor and bug ridden, and games like Tomb Raider: Angel Of Darkness were buggy and slow almost to the point of unplayability, B&W is the only game I remember getting really, really bored playing.

The Evil Thing
2007-05-22, 03:48 AM
Big Brother 2.

If you thought it was simply not possible to make something more idiotic, condescending and crap (pardon my Dutch) than the TV show (NB. the contestants don't count), check out this game. (NB. I haven't actually played this game, but that isn't necessary to know how bad it is).

On second thought. Don't check out this game. Just leave it be and take my word for it.

Demonicbunny
2007-05-22, 07:01 AM
4 words.

Anything By Derek Smart

Seriously. The man seems to be unable to design a game that isn't bugridden to unplayability and counterintuitive on top of that.

Sephiroth
2007-05-22, 03:05 PM
one word ET (two letters at lest)

Daze
2007-05-22, 05:30 PM

Awww... I actually didnt mind Bards Tale. Snarky humor at it's best. And I liked the "beer" song in the beginning tavern so much that I bothered to kinda memorize it.

Along came a man by the name of Charlie Mopps
And he invented a wonderful drink and he made it out of hops..
dum, dfa dum dum... (forgot)
Beer, beer, beer.. tiddly beer, beer, beer

anyway, great diddy... heh

Worst game though? Simearth is definitely up there.. a most backwards and confusing game.

Kessen tactics was god awful too.

Martok
2007-05-22, 06:54 PM
I'm of two minds on this one.

In absolute terms, probably the worst game I've played was space combat arcade title called Bang! Gunship Elite. It had horrible controls (extremely non-intuitive), and was annoyingly repititious as you blew an unending stream of bad guys out of the sky.

Overall, however, I would rate Master of Orion III as the worst game I've ever played. [shudder] In terms of meeting expectations -- or in this case, *failing* to meet them -- MOO3 is easily the biggest disappointment I've ever experienced. It still leaves a faintly bitter taste in my mouth even now, four years later. :smallyuk:

LordVader
2007-05-22, 07:41 PM
What, Randomizer, the l33t Nazis were too much for you?:smalltongue:
Red Steel. Controls=Horrible.
Design=Horrible
Gameplay=Horrible.

Lord of the Helms
2007-05-22, 08:39 PM
Dungeon Siege strikes me as the most boring game I ever played, closely followed by Age of Empires II. I've thankfully always avoided playing truly crappy games (the stuff that gets less than 20 % in press reviews).

Dragor
2007-05-23, 01:32 AM
Worst game? Turok Evolution. Bad bad bad bad.

And as for Black and White sucking, well.... I agree. It's a very good IDEA, just not implemented well at all.

The second game goes distances to improve it, but it's too biased towards Good aligned players.

Setra
2007-05-23, 02:02 AM
Dungeon Siege strikes me as the most boring game I ever played, closely followed by Age of Empires II. I've thankfully always avoided playing truly crappy games (the stuff that gets less than 20 % in press reviews).
Is it sad I consider Age of Empires II my favorite RTS? (Yes I've played Starcraft).

Red Steel. Controls=Horrible.
Design=Horrible
Gameplay=Horrible.
This is one reason I don't like the Wii, I get the feeling its gimmick will fail in the end.

Om
2007-05-23, 06:03 AM
Tiberium Sun. In terms of disappointment anyway.

Driderman
2007-05-23, 06:22 AM
I'm not sure Black & White is the worst I've played, but it was certainly the most disappointing.

The promise: Play as a God. Do what you want, good or evil. Get a fantastic pet that you can train and grow to awesome epic levels.

The truth: You can either play nice and help your minions or play dumb and wreck things for them, wrecking things for you as well.
You get some sort of fluffy tamagochi creature that hardly grows at all and most of all looks like it's the cousin of My Little Pony. The creature, at it's most evil, craps on your minions buildings, wrecking them. Then it cries and eats its own poop.

EricDerKonig
2007-05-23, 01:09 PM
I love SimEarth! It's tricky at first, but once you start to get how everything interacts, its rather fun. At least for me.

As for bad games: Civilization: Call to Power 1&2 - I really wanted to like those games, they really felt like they had potential. The AI was just too stupid, however.

jkdjr25
2007-05-23, 01:27 PM
E.T. was the suck. :smallyuk: Though Shadowman 2 for the PS2 was pretty horrid as well.

elliott20
2007-05-23, 02:01 PM
Age of Empires II? Wow, talk about tough crowd. I mean, okay, you don't like RTS... but wow... I happened to liked it a lot.

Anyway, I've actually PLAYED the Zelda game on the CDI... Man, the controls were not responsive and I swear the hediously drawn graphics were a thing to behold. It was as if the animation companies that did the graphics were deliberately trying to creep you out with their lack of artistic talent.

So yeah, that's up there with my least favorites.

Ergheiz was... very uninspired. It felt like they put 3-4 fairly poorly done games and mixed them into one. It just... wasn't very good. Probably not the WORST, but definitely up there.

One game I had a really tough time with was Settlers. The first one. While it was a good concept, and it had an awful lot of depth and potential, the micromanagement process and the game pace made the game very tedious. The second problem is that you can't really DIRECT your troops to attack your enemies. So that makes a lot of the conquest games very difficult. For a game that showed so much potential, it was hard for me to find it any fun.

Gemini
2007-05-23, 02:14 PM
Superan 64. I think that is enough horrible in one to and I;m going to stop.

Emperor Ing
2007-05-23, 03:41 PM

Its hard to kill n()()b5 when theyre blessed with L33Tness. I think the "nemesis" in each level is the PC who has hacks. NO NAZI CAN TAKE 5 BAZOOKA SHELLS AND LIVE!!!

In other words, I think they hack.

5() 1 \/\/1|| }{4K 7}{3/\/\ B4(K!!! |)13 }{4><><()rz!!!

SurlySeraph
2007-05-23, 05:31 PM
Is it sad I consider Age of Empires II my favorite RTS? (Yes I've played Starcraft).

At least it's better than Empire Earth II. That isn't sad at all.

I've never played a truly awful game like Big Rigs, but I have to say to all you people you hate SimEarth: try SimLife. Basically the same thing, except years earlier. And much, much suckier. The graphics are less detailed than those of a board game, and the point is to place a bunch of plants and animals around and wait until everything dies. Seriously, you can NOT make it sustainable, no matter how good you are. Why? Because the living things "evolve," which usually means an entire species spontaneously mutates in such a way that it is reliant on a food source that is not available in the world you created. It's not "evolution" if all the creatures suddenly become ill-adapted and all die. Also, all the times when, say, sheep suddenly mutate to become carnivorous and start eating, say, toucans, just make playing the game like a really weird dream, except with 3 irritating sound effects that play over and over instead of actual sound.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-23, 05:56 PM
Knights of the Old Republic

It's certainly the crappest good game ever.

Lord of the Helms
2007-05-23, 07:12 PM
Age of Empires II? Wow, talk about tough crowd. I mean, okay, you don't like RTS... but wow... I happened to liked it a lot.

RTS has consistently been my favorite genre ever since I started playing Earth 2140 ten years ago. I just thought AoE II was really really boring and pointless. I can't even put my finger onto why, it's just that the overall game offered nothing that made it worth playing for me.

Daze
2007-05-23, 08:31 PM

KOTR is up there just for the virtue that most people cant play it.
I have like the most awesome gaming PC ever, and the stupid thing still wont run. Ticks me off!!

Emperor Ing
2007-05-24, 04:35 AM

:eek: OMG dude!! I LOVED THAT GAME!!!

Sephiroth
2007-05-24, 05:24 AM

same here it the BEST xbox RPG and 2nd best PC RPG (ff7 is 3rd and BG is 1st)

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-24, 05:39 AM
same here it the BEST xbox RPG and 2nd best PC RPG (ff7 is 3rd and BG is 1st)

Yes, yet for a good game that loads of people like it's really bad.

Om
2007-05-24, 06:22 AM
I have like the most awesome gaming PC ever, and the stupid thing still wont run. Ticks me off!!That's odd. I can run the game absolutely fine on my laptop. This is a entry level machine with a terrible Intel integrated chipset. Did you try turning the graphics options down?

Miklus
2007-05-24, 07:07 AM
Overall, however, I would rate Master of Orion III as the worst game I've ever played. [shudder] In terms of meeting expectations -- or in this case, *failing* to meet them -- MOO3 is easily the biggest disappointment I've ever experienced. It still leaves a faintly bitter taste in my mouth even now, four years later.

I second that. And the sad thing is, it has a lot of good things going for it. I liked that the alien races didn't look like humans with fins stuck on. And the planet generation system was good. Nice intro too. But the implementation of the game was horrible. It was so buggy, it was unplayable until you patched it. Even then, there was too many sub-menus. The diplomacy is completely broken, not that you have any need to talk to the aliens anyway.

Some fans desperatly tried to fix the game by "modding" it. But they could not fix the most fundamental problem with MOO3: It is just plain boring.

elliott20
2007-05-24, 08:41 AM
RTS has consistently been my favorite genre ever since I started playing Earth 2140 ten years ago. I just thought AoE II was really really boring and pointless. I can't even put my finger onto why, it's just that the overall game offered nothing that made it worth playing for me.

Hmmm... well, I guess for me it was the "friend" affect, where I got into it with my friends and we just got better and better at it as a result.

Orzel
2007-05-24, 08:53 AM
Any 3D Frogger Game.

Daze
2007-05-24, 01:34 PM
That's odd. I can run the game absolutely fine on my laptop. This is a entry level machine with a terrible Intel integrated chipset. Did you try turning the graphics options down?

Yup, I've tried just about everything man. I have an AMD chip though, I think that's the problem. According to some tech forums I read, people with AMD chips couldnt run the game and LucasArts wasn't offering any support (figures).

Oh well... wasted 25 bucks or whatever on the game, thats what I get for being honest!

NEO|Phyte
2007-05-24, 02:36 PM
Hrmm, all this talk of Black & White reminds me that somewhere I've got the files for a creature that still needs to learn the upgraded explodybeamfromthesky miracles. Then I could brag about having a creature that knows all the miracles :smallbiggrin:

Morrandir
2007-05-24, 02:53 PM
Toss up between FF7 and Prison Tycoon, for me.

FF7: Emo villain =/= exciting storymaking. Only character I liked in even the slightest was Aeris, and we all know how well THAT turns out.

Prison Tycoon: You run a prison. Exciting! Only 2 good things about this game. One, it runs, and two, it's possible to make a concrete box and put everyone in there and have them kill each other.

Emperor Ing
2007-05-24, 03:12 PM
Some games game developers made for the same reason you would
make a concrete box and put everyone in there and have them kill each other and its basically the same thing too, in that this game is made so that gamers will tear each other apart over this, or gamemakers were paid by antigame people to make all video games look bad. Either way, some games are purposely good, others have no excuse for ownership.

FdL
2007-05-24, 03:20 PM
I liked Black & White, it wasn't that bad. Most of it was enjoyable, if the game style is your kind of thing. It had many good things, it was different from other games (ie, not a RTS or FPS). I didn't finish it either but I would have liked to. I bought the xp and the sequel, which is better but alas, no multiplayer :(

Daze
2007-05-24, 03:22 PM
FF7: Emo villain =/= exciting storymaking. Only character I liked in even the slightest was Aeris, and we all know how well THAT turns out.

Still, is it worth mentioning as "the worst game ever"??
Regardless of the story, FF7 is widely recognized as a good game. Even if it's not your cup of tea, you cant really call it bad.
But thats just my opinion...

Wojiz
2007-05-24, 03:27 PM
Of course, because the main villain of a game is depressed because he believes himself to be the last of his race and created in a test tube, it's the worst game evar. Mmhm.

I'd say Superman 64. I rented it, returned it and then felt disappointed that I couldn't beat it, not realizing how bad it sucked at the time.

Scroofy
2007-05-24, 03:40 PM
The worst game ever..was by one "Dr" Derek Smart...called BattleCruiser 3000AD

next to that there is always dai katana....LOL

Emperor Ing
2007-05-24, 03:41 PM
Im not sure if it matters, but I saw this thing on MTV counting down the top 10 best and worst video games of all time, and guess what was #1?:smalleek:

SUPERMAN 64!!! HERES TO THE GAME THE MOST OF US LOVE TO HATE BEING THE SAME AS THAT OF MTVS!!! hip hip, HORRAY!! hip hip, HORRAY!!! hip hip...HORRRAAAY!!! :smallbiggrin:

\/\/()()7 /\/\y 507}{ p()57!!!

ufo
2007-05-24, 03:42 PM
Well, most disappointing would be ArmA: Armed Assault. It was far from what I expected, and near unplayable because of bugs.

J_Muller
2007-05-24, 08:49 PM
Ah, I was reminded by rereading the first page of this thread:

First, I second SimEarth. I never could figure out what exactly was going on there.

Second, SimIsle. Not only was the gameplay so arcane that you can barely figure out how to do anything, you can't do anything to accomplish your objectives without ensuring your failure. Seriously, any action you take leads to game over.

Setra
2007-05-25, 04:38 AM
Well, most disappointing would be ArmA: Armed Assault. It was far from what I expected, and near unplayable because of bugs.
I hear only the demo was bad, and that the actual game is far better.

The demo was pretty bad... but I can't say much about the real game.

pathanos
2007-05-25, 06:32 AM
The Magic: Battlegrounds game for Xbox.

You shall NOT emulate a card game WITHOUT THE CARDS. kthx.

i know its an old message but you can emulate a card game but only with certain games like ....well ill think of one soon enough

BanjoTheClown
2007-05-25, 07:00 AM

How can FF7 be one of the worst games ever. Its one of the Best Rpgs of all Time!

Yuki Akuma
2007-05-25, 07:02 AM
How can FF7 be one of the worst games ever. Its one of the Best Rpgs of all Time!

Have you played any recent RPGs?

Or any old RPGs that aren't FFVII?

elliott20
2007-05-25, 08:38 AM
Have you played any recent RPGs?

Or any old RPGs that aren't FFVII?
Glad to know I'm not the only that hated FF7.

The game itself is really not THAT bad, I don't think. But I just get sick of hearing all the hype about it. But then again, JRPGs bore me to no end

Timberwolf
2007-05-25, 08:42 AM
Battlecruiser was indeed bad, mind numbingly complex and I just couldn't be arsed. Other nominees from me include...

Mechassault for sheer heresy

Sim City for being rubbish, boring and sucking.

Bandits, Phoenix Rising for being repetitive and dull

X2, buggy and a nightmare to figure out how to control

Dune 2000, standard C+C clone, without all the things that made C+C fun - the ridiculously hammy acting, the music etc.

Yuki Akuma
2007-05-25, 09:07 AM
Glad to know I'm not the only that hated FF7.

The game itself is really not THAT bad, I don't think. But I just get sick of hearing all the hype about it. But then again, JRPGs bore me to no end

I just hate the hype around some "BEST GAME EVAR!!1" games. Final Fantasy VII isn't that good compared to recent Final Fantasies (and Final Fantasy isn't the best RPG series out there anyway). Ocarina of Time is nowhere near on par with Twilight Princess, or even Majora's Mask (although the last is merely an opinion). Super Mario World isn't the best platformer ever.

I'm not saying they're bad games. They just don't age well (which the exception of SWM, which aged rather well).

Setra
2007-05-25, 09:37 AM
FFVII is good, but nowhere near as good as the hype.

Orcarina of time is the same (Though still better than FFVII, In my opinion).

Super Mario World is my favorite Platformer, I won't say it's the best, it's just one of the few I've really played.

None are bad, just overrated.

Tokiko Mima
2007-05-25, 10:17 AM
It warms my heart to see E.T. mentioned in the first response to the initial post.

The other games listed here are bad, some are terrible... but you don't know what 'soul-destroyingly-awful' is until you've played E.T. and managed to climb out of at least one hole, and realized that you'll have to do that again, many, many, many times.

Inigo_Carmine
2007-05-25, 12:11 PM
I have like the most awesome gaming PC ever, and the stupid thing still wont run. Ticks me off!!

Yeah. Did you have the problem where everytime you loaded a new "room" you had about a 30% chance of freezing your computer (not just a simple crash to desktop)?

And their tech support is about as useful as a brick wall. I got one response telling me to update my drivers. When I informed them I already did this, I never got another response again, despite sending in 4-5 requests over the next 6 months or so. From what I could tell on message boards, the game simply doesn't like any videocard that's not nvidia (the opposite of NWN which didn't like any videocard besides Radeon).

The real kicker is that the earlier version of the game works fine. I think it's the second patch that screws up the game. Unfortunately, you can't play the entire game that version because it has a dialogue bug that prevents you from either getting off the initial ship or the planet you crash land on (it's been about 2 years, forget which).

It's to the game's credit that I actually ended up playing it all the way through despite the bugginess. Twice! It was that great a game. I actually wanted to give it a go for a 3rd run (trying each of the jedi classes), but the bugginess prevented me from going that far.

elliott20
2007-05-25, 01:10 PM
that's why when I played it on the Xbox, I saved compulsively every other scene. (which resulted in me having like, 70+ saved games for each run)

All things considered, KOTOR did a very good job making a computer actually feel like an RPG. Seriously, open dialogue that actually effects how the PCs act around you? Now that's what real RPGs should be like.

Daze
2007-05-25, 01:26 PM
Yeah. Did you have the problem where everytime you loaded a new "room" you had about a 30% chance of freezing your computer (not just a simple crash to desktop)?

And their tech support is about as useful as a brick wall. I got one response telling me to update my drivers. When I informed them I already did this, I never got another response again, despite sending in 4-5 requests over the next 6 months or so. From what I could tell on message boards, the game simply doesn't like any videocard that's not nvidia (the opposite of NWN which didn't like any videocard besides Radeon).

Exactly right, in fact that's how it would work on a "good" day. More commonly the problem was just ridiculous slow downs for no apparant reason, I tried to play that way but it was impossible...
Oh, and I have dual Geforce 6800 ultras... with updated drivers, blah, blah... your right about tech support. They never did anything besides their initial stupid response, despite the plethora of emails I sent.
I still think the problem was I have an AMD chip and not pentium.. but who knows. It still ticks me off, I really wanna play that game!!!

Timberwolf
2007-05-25, 01:59 PM
I've played KOTOR 1 and 2 through many times, on 2 seperate, none too powerful PC's, AMD Chipset each time with both Nvidea and Radeon graphics cards and aside from an annoying graphical glitch on KOTOR 2 on Dantooine, I have never, ever had a problem with it. I have never patched them or anything.

Bizarre.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-25, 02:16 PM
I've played KOTOR 1 and 2 through many times, on 2 seperate, none too powerful PC's, AMD Chipset each time with both Nvidea and Radeon graphics cards and aside from an annoying graphical glitch on KOTOR 2 on Dantooine, I have never, ever had a problem with it. I have never patched them or anything.

Bizarre.

Supposedly most bugs happen because the computer you're using isn't the same one that they did the bug testing on. You may have got lucky and your computer is close to the one the game's designed for.

Scudboy
2007-05-25, 02:34 PM
Second Dungeon Siege, which was probably the most boring, cliched string of fantasy plots I've ever seen, without a hint of humor or self-awareness or ANYTHING to leaven it. Plus, all your characters end up looking like clowns with the way they did the color schemes for their magic items. Yes, I'll wear the red-and-white-striped breastplate with the blue with purple polkadots shield. No problem, just make sure I have enough plusses.

Also, thirteenth or whatever Black and White. I was totally psyched to play it, but gave up after maybe an hour and a half tops, just bored as sin and irritated by the controls at the same time.

I liked Sim Earth, though. A bunch of friends and I played it in college, and would compete to see who could get the weirdest thing to happen - one guy managed to get global warming and nuclear winter going simultaneously, leaving the planet still in equilibrium. The coolest, though, was the guy who managed to freeze out his technological civilization, only for them to leave behind a race of intelligent machines, still living in cities.

I only had one real bug in KOTOR, so of course I loved it. Not a very challenging game, at least once you got off the first planet, but wow what a plot.

Driderman
2007-05-25, 05:22 PM
Even though this isn't a troubleshooting forum: I had problems with running Kotor I on my old laptop until I found a program on the net that converted drivers meant for desktop computer hardware to work with laptop hardware. After that and patching, not at hitch. Shame the game wasn't particularily good.
Decent, but not good

Caelestion
2007-05-25, 05:24 PM
Considering that I still play Master of Orion II both single and multiplayer nowadays, I found its sequel to be tedious, long-winded and dull. (That bad!)

Demon Stone is a DVD-ROM game with voice acting by Patrick Stewart and Michael Clark Duncan, a storyline by R.A. Salvatore and not bad graphics. The gameplay however wouldn't be out of place on the arcade machines I used to play in the late 80s/early 90s. It's all button-bashing, control-one-character-at-a-time, no real decisions about how to level up, what gear to use or even when to level up. It even commits the cardinal sin of fixed save points, non-skippable FMVs and endless fighting.

I also eventually got bored of both Dungeon Siege and Icewind Dale, as despite everything else, the endless diet of unremitting combat bored me silly.

Setra
2007-05-25, 05:25 PM
Isn't KOTOR on the X-Box?

I never knew it was on the PC.

Lord of the Helms
2007-05-25, 05:44 PM

Ever heard of multi-platform games? :smallwink:

Driderman
2007-05-25, 06:00 PM

Making a CRPG and not lauching it for the PC?

Inconceivable!

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-25, 06:22 PM
Isn't KOTOR on the X-Box?

No, that was Jade Empire.

Originaly.

Suraht
2007-05-25, 06:31 PM
While FFVII isn't on my 'Worst Ever' list, it's nowhere near the 'Best Ever' list, either. It felt like I was replaying FFVI(mysterious main character with superhuman abilities fails to save world from being nearly destroyed, then goes AWOL for a while, then discovers their true power in time to go kill the bad guy) with a character building system I liked less, shinier graphics, less interesting PCs, and a bad guy with a severe oedipus complex that wasn't really there the whole time. Chocobo racing was fun, though.

I've played E.T. I was able to beat E.T. on the hardest settings...it was just kind of boring to do so. Still not the worst game.

I remember a game called Irritating Stick, some knockoff of a Japanese game show where people got shocked. It really lost something without the live current. Still not the worst.

I remember playing the Ghostbusters game that the AVGN reviewed. Boring, still not the worst all time.

No, the worst game that I've ever played was a relatively unknown one for the NES called Hydlide. Combat consists of moving your character up against the enemies, pressing into them and holding down the 'a' button, hearing a lot of bumping sounds, and then letting go of the button and running when your health dipped down. You got some advantage for leveling up and such, but you were still heavily dependent on luck to beat the starting screen creatures when you'd maxxed out your stats. You got some spells, and they did have some effect, but one use of any decent spell(okay, the one useful spell) drained just about all your mana away, and you had to go sit and replenish it. That was another thing...to refill your health and mana, you had to stand still while it -slowly- recharged, and sometimes, just sitting and recharging hurt you.

The only saving grace is how short this game was. It can be easily completed from start to finish in less than a day...although I'd rather spend the day watching my Heroes of the Lance characters all die from falling in that one pit.

Setra
2007-05-25, 06:38 PM
...I know of them, I have just never heard mention of it on the PC until know.

Presumably this is because no one plays it on the PC.

Timberwolf
2007-05-25, 06:41 PM
Considering that I still play Master of Orion II both single and multiplayer nowadays, I found its sequel to be tedious, long-winded and dull. (That bad!)

I was going to put Master f Orion 3 and then forgot. But yeah, that game sucked

Also Gran Turismo 3. Now, hear me out here. I love Gran Turismo. I completed GT2 as far as the glitch would let me, and have in the region of 100 cars in my garage including a shed load of rare ones. It's safe to say I like the games a lot. Compared with GT 2 though, GT 3 was a : crap and b: had very few cars. They also got rid of the racing mods which meant that any modified car handled like a greased pig, especially at any kind of speed. Then there was the utterly unrealistic tyre wear, seriously, less than 1 lap out of super soft tyres ? Even Kimi Raikkonnen does better than that. Then there were the stupidly long championships that you had to really want to do, seriously ? 10 races of 10 laps each at the end. That's most of the day gone just doing that. Gt 2 was 5 races of 6 laps at the very most, aside from the endurance races that GT 3 also had in abundance. GT 4 was a great improvement in that you could actually modify the aerodynamics of your car you'd modified yourself (although the really sweet new paint jobs were still gone) and it added a load of new cars, but GT2 is still king as far as I'm concerned.

Daze
2007-05-25, 06:47 PM

Because it doesnt work on the PC...

I'd have been happy to play it!

Chaos Perfected
2007-05-25, 07:28 PM
I love Black and White and KOTOR. Never had any problems with them. o.o

Setra
2007-05-25, 07:34 PM
Well I just tried to play some game my friend wanted me to play.. Regnum online..

Maybe it rubbed me the wrong way, but I'd consider it quite horrible.

Thexare Blademoon
2007-05-25, 07:53 PM
Ocarina of Time is nowhere near on par with Twilight Princess

Am I the only person who was more bored by Twilight Princess than by staring at the ceiling?

TP is the only Zelda game I've genuinely disliked. I'm not gonna call it a bad game, but I will call it a game that I will not play again, and the only Zelda game I've played to be on that list. Before you ask, I've played Zelda, Zelda 2, LttP (beat it twice), Ocarina of Time (beat it twice), Majora's Mask (god I suck at that one), Windwaker (beat it twice... common theme here), Oracle of Seasons (beat it once, surprise), Oracle of Ages, and Link's Awakening... definitely not one of those annoying OoT fanboys that thinks that's the best game ever.

Anyway, on topic, I can't think of any genuinely bad games right off hand, certainly none that I'd call "worst ever". Either I have good judgement or good luck, I guess... oh, wait, almost forgot - Quest 64.

J_Muller
2007-05-25, 08:12 PM
Dungeon Siege, apparently, can be fun if you don't mind the incredibly repetitive gameplay.

neriana
2007-05-26, 01:47 AM
Because it doesnt work on the PC...

I'd have been happy to play it!

I've played it on 3 different PCs, and my boyfriend's played it on 2. It needs to be patched, and there are some issues with ATI cards. However, Omega drivers fixed the problems for me. I've talked to tons of people online who played it on PCs as well. It's too bad you had problems with tech support, because it is quite playable on PCs if you have the right information.

Dungeon Siege is horribly boring. Click-loot-click-loot-click-loot-zzzzzzz.

Black and White disappointed me sorely as well. The villagers were far too stupid. I remember needing to virtually force-feed them to get them to eat. There should have been virtually no micromanagement in that game, and instead it was ALL micromanagement.

Temple of Elemental Evil made me sad. Great combat system, great graphics, terrible story, Troika's sexist, sophomoric sense of humor, and bugs all over the place. Bleah.

Oh, and Final Fantasy 9. Not only were the characters stupid and the plot pointless, but the game was completely unbalanced. Massive disappointment.

But the worst game I ever played was Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel. I had to review it. *shudders*

Meeeeebit
2007-05-27, 09:17 PM
Has runescpae been mentioned yet or even worse
battleon. :smallyuk:

karmuno
2007-05-29, 01:38 PM
Dune 2000, standard C+C clone, without all the things that made C+C fun - the ridiculously hammy acting, the music etc.

Actually, Dune 2000 is a Dune 2 remake. Coincidentally, C&C were practically Dune 2 clones, PLUS all the stuff that makes them great and minus sand worms.

As for worst game ever, I think I'd have to say Amok, a third-person shooter for the PC. In this game, you play a robot who is apparently underwater in the first level and apparently is trying to shoot people who are apparently bad. It sucks.

Also, this one game my friend made for the TI-83+ graphing calculator. Called Dunesaga, you choose a faction (from the Dune universe. funny how everything comes full circle), and then navigate a list of menus that give you directions and whatnot. Everything you do makes you die.

"You are in a city. You have already bought everything you can afford, the only thing you can do now is explore the desert:"
"I explore the desert"
"You are eaten by a sand worm"

The sad thing was that you COULD beat it. The other sad thing is that the creator forgot how.

exodus_dragon
2007-05-30, 04:38 AM
I love black and white its prettty cool game. the thing i hate about it the most is you never have enough food or wood:smallannoyed: :smallannoyed: . im on the last island now and i dont have any wood to expand. (FRIGGIN LAME) all the trees are gone too. so im like wtf. and you dont have any spells to cast wood or trees. the other thing i hate is how the computer god can cast crap in your area but you cant in his it makes me so mad. he comes into my area firaballs the crap out of my pet and i cant do it to him :smallfurious: :smallfurious: :smallfurious: :smallfurious: :smallfurious: :smallfurious:

So far though i guess the worst game i have played recently would have to be OverGFighter not the greatest game there is I keep gettin killed and my flairs dont work:smallannoyed: :smallfurious: :smallsigh: its still kind of cool game but.................eh i dont recomend buying it.

Dragor
2007-05-30, 05:59 AM
Am I the only person who was more bored by Twilight Princess than by staring at the ceiling?

TP is the only Zelda game I've genuinely disliked. I'm not gonna call it a bad game, but I will call it a game that I will not play again, and the only Zelda game I've played to be on that list. Before you ask, I've played Zelda, Zelda 2, LttP (beat it twice), Ocarina of Time (beat it twice), Majora's Mask (god I suck at that one), Windwaker (beat it twice... common theme here), Oracle of Seasons (beat it once, surprise), Oracle of Ages, and Link's Awakening... definitely not one of those annoying OoT fanboys that thinks that's the best game ever.

My god, you sound exactly like my brother. His favourite Zelda game is Link's Awakening. Looking back at OOT, I remember being wowed by the graphics and the storyline. Now it just feels generic. Not a bad game, and still has its awesome moments.

Now, I'm going to rush to the defense of Black and White. WORST game ever? No. Definately not. It brought many new aspects to the games we play today. If it had been something else- controlling your creature from first person and smashing stuff- they'd have all have given it a low score. I think it's because it strived to be different that it failed.

Surely not the worst game ever.

Arlanthe
2007-05-30, 08:08 AM
definitely not one of those annoying OoT fanboys that thinks that's the best game ever.

I, on the other hand, am one of those fanboys. The game is fantastic. For when and where it was made, I do think it was a standard setter and exemplary piece of the Action/Adventure genre. Dragor- the reason it feels generic now is so many have copied it. Remember that Zelda games heavily influenced the Action/Adventure genre.

As far as bad games, there were plenty on the NES (10 Yard Fight, Slaughterhouse 5).

Then there were a string of boring, repetetive beat-em-up games on Sega (walk through 10 levels punching shirtless thugs in hot pink pants...)

Pretty much anything on Sega Saturn.

Most racing games are not so good. Most are pretty much the same, and god-awful boring.

Om
2007-05-30, 08:19 AM
Then there were a string of boring, repetetive beat-em-up games on Sega (walk through 10 levels punching shirtless thugs in hot pink pants...)You'd better not be talking about Streets of Rage :smallannoyed:

*Readies his drainpipe*

PlatinumJester
2007-05-30, 08:21 AM
I think MOROWIND is a bit crap. Too many loading times and it's too confusing. Plus if you've played Legend Of Zelda then it really does suck :smallfrown:

Also Streets Of Rage did kick arse along with Street Fighter 2 and Terminator vs Robocop.

Arlanthe
2007-05-30, 08:22 AM
You'd better not be talking about Streets of Rage :smallannoyed:

*Readies his drainpipe*

Hahahahahahaha, that was one of the ones that came to mind... yes! *runs and hides* I got the Double Dragon guys on my side if you mess with me!

PlatinumJester: Morrowind is 800 kinds of awesome. It is only confusing if your brain is small, damaged, full, or doesn't have the right upgrade to Brain 6.3. I know a lot of people prefer the more linear, "simple" play of Oblivion, but I think Morrowind was the peak of the franchise. Especially with some nice mods to go aong with it. Scarce few sandbox RPGs have held my attention for that long. The player rating, critic ratings, sales, and persistence of the game demonstrate it's value.

The amount of care and detail in the game... the story, thoughtfulness, small details... it is a stand alone game that beats the pants off of some MMOs content wise. To each their own I guess, but rarely have I played such a stirring game.

(And why would you try and compare sandbox RPG to Action/Adventure? They are different genres...)

Timberwolf
2007-05-30, 08:25 AM
*GOes and gets Axel ready to put a major beat down on the heretic*

Om
2007-05-30, 08:53 AM
I maintain that Streets of Rage was the pinnacle of multiplayer games. I wasted hours in my cousin's house playing this great game. Funny, that's one of the more abiding memories I have of him

*Goes on a nostalgia trip*

*GOes and gets Axel ready to put a major beat down on the heretic*I was always Axel and my cousin was always Adam. I remember that Adam was the only character that could lift the big fat bosses.

karmuno
2007-05-30, 09:04 AM
Morrowind is pwnage. So is Oblivion.

'Nuff said.

Thexare Blademoon
2007-05-30, 12:33 PM
I think MOROWIND is a bit crap. Too many loading times and it's too confusing. Plus if you've played Legend Of Zelda then it really does suck :smallfrown:
Well, by your standards I must be pretty screwed up. I've given the lsit of Zelda games that I've played, and I love Morrowind. Not only that, I liked it even more when I had no idea what the hell I was doing. The whole "wow, this is new" effect. :smallamused:

But to those who are used to certain Japanese RPGs that get pumped out year after year after year, the majority of which seem to hold the player's hand all the way through, I can see where some confusion would come in.

Roderick_BR
2007-05-30, 03:09 PM
Two that I remember for SNES.
Jim 3D. It has 3D graphics that you need a 3D glasses to see. That is not enough to save the poor playability: you jump higher than farther, it has the typical "get hit, lose 1 energy point, and is swung back a couple feet, but you can still move forward, so you fall in the same place you was hit, and the minute you touch the ground, your invulnerability ends", you have a gun, you can shot stand up or crouching up, and that's it. Ah, you can get powerups that give you extra lifes and extra time to complete a level.
Lamborgini. You start the game with one Boost. Yeah, one. If you use it, it's gone for the rest of the game. It doesn't "refresh" in every race, so you need to buy it all the time to stock up. And whenever you try to move to the side, to dodge a car or make a curve, your car first goes to the OPPOSITE way.
I didn't play Superman64. Is it that bad? I like Superman Returns for PS2. The cool part is that you are invulnerable. You can only be shacken and thrown to the ground. The actual "life metter" is the city's resistance. If you let it be wrecked too much, you fail. And who doesn't love to head-butt meteors at hyper-speed? :smallamused:

@Om: Adam could lift the fat bosses? I thought no one could lift them.
*also on a nostalgia trip* The old "jump into the hole to get 7 lifes" trick...

The_Loose_Moose
2007-06-12, 06:20 PM
About a week ago I played a demo for a game called Hour of Victory (The latest one). I downloaded it with high expectations, because the WWII game market is overcrowded and competitive, which leaves no room for low-budget games (right?) It was terrible. Graphics were terrible and the AI was atrocious. I counted 3 people running into walls. Also, the crosshair was the same giant circle, whether you have a rifle or a knife. I almost cried.
However, I enthusiasticly recommended this game to my friend. I'll see how he likes it.

Nathander
2007-06-12, 11:37 PM
That one "Alex Kidd" game for the Sega Genesis. It's been years since I've played it, but I can remember just how much I hated it to this day. It sucked so bad it wasn't even funny.

As for the FF VII debate...I think FF VII is a fine RPG, but I don't think it holds up to some of the others in the game, and especially not to its direct predecessor, FF VI. While I liked the PCs for FF VII, I don't think they were as well done as those from FF VI, and I don't think many villains, Squaresoft or otherwise, hold a candle to the pure insanity and evil that is Kefka Palooza.

Really, there was only one aspect that genuinely angered me about FF VII, and that would be Cloud. I could understand why he got all emo, but the fact that he decided to remain emo after no longer having a reason to be so really irked me. Usually, as a game goes on, the hero will begin to have more confidence in himself/herself. In this case, Cloud simply began to have less and less.

Querzis
2007-06-13, 12:12 AM
Well that one is hard for me, when I find a game I really dont like, I just play it 10 minutes then I never play it again and forget the name....But there is one I remember, I think it was called Breath of fire or something. Its probably not the worst one ever, some game bored me way faster then that one but I remember that there was a random encounter every two step you take. Usually, in a RPG, I can try to find random encounter to get a level but in that one I was just wondering: «Where the hell is that damn dungeon? Wait I see it now (get in 20 random encounter before I get in the dungeon). Finally! ( take two step and get in another random encounter.) I think I fought 300 random encounter before I fought a boss...

By the way, if some people think that OoT or FF 7 are the best game ever why cant they? You can judge the graphic, the game systems, the characters or the stories in different game but you cant judge the fun. Its not because that game bored you that it wasnt the best game ever for someone else because if you like a game or not depends entirely on the fun you have when you play it, nothing else. And I personnaly have much more fun with good old OgreBattle64, SuperMarioRPG, Sonic and Knuckle then most of the game on Xbox 360...I'm the only one who still play on his NES and still find Super Mario Bros.3 as fun as the first time I played it?

Mr._Blinky
2007-06-13, 12:24 AM

In what way does any of that make sense? Both games are fantastic.

Um, actually most people play it on PC, since that's what it was originally released for...

tgva8889
2007-06-13, 12:43 AM
First off, if you think a game is bad because of graphics *coughRunescapecough*, then it's not really a bad game. I mean, I hate Runescape, but it's still a perfectly good game. Better than any game I've ever played based off of a movie of some kind for a handheld console. Any kind, actually. The one's I've played all sucked. Granted, the one's I've played are Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (don't remember why I wanted this) and A Bug's Life. (not only is it annoying, if you cheat it's godawful and boring. Besides the fact that there's more exciting things to do than try to figure out how to jump that last few feet.)

Anyways, some other relatively bad games...well, there's some games that were alright for a while but got really boring really fast. Yu-Gi-Oh Falsebound Kingdoms was one such game. There's the games that don't deserve to be packaged in a game cartridge/disc. Those, surprisingly, I can think of few. Perhaps Lego Island is deserving. Lego Island and Lego Island 2 deserve to be burned.

BanjoTheClown
2007-06-14, 05:02 AM
The worst game for me is FF8. That game was just utter crap.:smallmad:

banjo1985
2007-06-14, 05:20 AM
I personally loved FF8, but each to their own! Love the avatar by the way.

For me the worst game I've EVER played is probably Magna Carta on th ePS2, really it takes the term "style over substance" to a complete new level!

SSX Blur sucks too

Tekar
2007-06-14, 06:05 AM
I have this tendency to hate games I don't like more when lots of people seem to like them, with this in mind here's my worst games top 3:
1- Age of Empires (any number, they're all the same anyways)
2- Oblivion (urgh, yuk, it's hideous)
3- Diablo II (Come on, there's nothing to it, boooriiing)

Dave Rapp
2007-06-14, 06:21 AM
Ahem.

Superman 64 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html), Big Rigs (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/driving/bigrigsotrr/review.html), and E.T. (http://archive.gamespy.com/articles/june03/dumbestmoments/index4.shtml)

Superman 64 was so horibble that it broke records.

Big Rigs was even worse; so bad that many reviewers redid their entire rating scale just to give the game a low enough score.

And E.T. was so bad it single-handedly killed Atari, crashing the entire video game market in the process. There's now 5,000,000 E.T. cartridges burried in a landfill in New Mexico.

I rest my case.

PlatinumJester
2007-06-14, 06:39 AM
Ethnic Cleansing - the most racist piece of **** ever. The KKK should go to hell.

Shaq Fu - what does Shaquille O'Neal have tdo with martial arts. Plus it's set in Japan but kung fu is chinese.

CrazedGoblin
2007-06-14, 06:45 AM
A Bards Tale!!!!!!!

PlatinumJester
2007-06-14, 07:17 AM
A Bards Tale!!!!!!!

Thank you. Someone out there agrees with me that it sucks. Bet it was the control system that you hate.

Xuincherguixe
2007-06-14, 07:39 AM
Jim Lorfen's Squirrel Raiser? Wait. No. I just made that one up.

CrazedGoblin
2007-06-14, 08:44 AM
Thank you. Someone out there agrees with me that it sucks. Bet it was the control system that you hate.

what control system it didnt have one, it was awfull haha

Manga Shoggoth
2007-06-15, 09:49 AM
Dungeon Siege strikes me as the most boring game I ever played...

I don't know. I rather enjoyed it. I grant you that it was very linear, but I tend to get very bored with the very non-linear RPGs as it takes so much time to work out what you are supposed to be doing. Then, of course, I found the the Ultima V Lazarus mod for Dungeon Siege, and have been playing it intently ever since.

Bard's Tale? I engoyed the original (it was my first RPG, back in my Commodore 64 days...), but I understand the recent remake is pretty dreadful.

On the other hand, I have had very few RPG-type games that bore playing more than once (Ultima V and Diablo II are rare exceptions).

As to worst games? Well, ironically* I would put forward Legends of Valour (C64 version) or Heroes of the Lance - both of which were unplayable.

I would also agree with "Black and White" - I didn't even manage to complete the training sequence before throwing the game in the bin. I had also managed to suppress the memories until I read this thread...

* "Ironically" because on the PC it is one of my all-time favourites...

JabberwockySupafly
2007-06-15, 07:25 PM
I've got two games I've played to nominate for Worst Game Ever:

D&D Online... i don't even have to explain it. Take MMO players (the majority of which have all the intellect and RP ability of your basic pair of sweat socks) and put them in a game originally intended for well, Role Playing & adventure but transformed into a Hack & Slash Online Wow-Copy... I don't have to really go any further. Don't get me started on how long it takes to bloody well level as well. Talk about grind-fest.

Final Fantasy 7: Dirge of Cerberus... Now, I liked FF7 a lot. For it's time it's one of the best Japanese Console RPGs (What, you say, why say Console? Aren't All JRPGs console? Try the Ys series, my friends, and you will understand what truth and love are). I'm not saying it is the best ever, I am saying for it's time it was one of the best for a console at the point in time where most of our RPG choices were quite limited.Still not the best FF though, that would have to go to either 6 (story, lovely, lovely story) or XII. What it spawned, though *shudders*. Most people call this a rip-off of Devil May Cry. That is the biggest insult to the DMC franchise someone can make. This game's difficulty curve fluctuated like a sine wave on meth. to the point where...
the first 3 levels bosses are actually harder than the last boss, whom you simply had to circle strafe to kill
The controls were, at best, manageable and at worst, completely broken. You got Melee skills, which had NO use because you were drowned in so much ammo you couldn't turn a corner without tripping over a box of bullets. Oh, and let's not forget the broken, meaningless, and poorly voice-acted storyline that only convoluted the original FF7 storyline and generally just confused me even more in terms of what the hell I was doing. And then there's the "extra" missions you unlock when you beat the game. I didn't bother, I could barely handle the actual missions, let alone the Extra Missions. Oh, and you can beat the game in about 2 days if you're playing at a leisurely pace.

I don't think I can say enough BAD things about this waste of space in my closet. Worst part is, it's a US import, so I probably can't get rid of it here in Australia. Stupid region codes...

So basically, these two games have officially become beautiful, limited edition, decorative coasters.

Cheers
JS

Fualkner Asiniti
2007-06-16, 12:14 AM
I'll be the first to admit I haven't played anything too horrible. The truly horrid stuff I have managed to steer clear of, through common sence or reading reviews. But, I'll played a few horrors...

Croc 2: Now this wasn't too horrible. In fact, the first part of the game's enjoyable. But then you take one tumble and Whoopsie! Back to near start for you. And even the level concepts were almost non-existant. There were no themes, nothing to set the levels apart except what colorful world you were in.

Pokemon Channel: There's no gameplay here. The main game revolves around... are you ready for this? Watching. Fictional. Television. It wouldn't be too bad if the shows actually were interesting. One featured some purple blobs exercising, and another was all about watching some Pokemon sleep. So many hours of my life wasted by that game... The only thing that actually made it worth the playtime was the ability to travel and meet other Pokemon. The only reason I ever liked this game was because of the sheer addiction I had to it.

The Matrix: This is the worst of the bunch. A friend got it for me as a joke gift. I played it once to be polite. 5 minutes later, I'm running around in non-descript rooms trying after killing two helpless people with whip kicks. They never had a freaking chance. 30 minutes later, I power down my GC. I have not even touched the game case since, and I refuse to go find out where it finally ended up. This game made my brain bleed.

Setra
2007-06-16, 12:34 AM
I have this tendency to hate games I don't like more when lots of people seem to like them, with this in mind here's my worst games top 3:
1- Age of Empires (any number, they're all the same anyways)
2- Oblivion (urgh, yuk, it's hideous)
3- Diablo II (Come on, there's nothing to it, boooriiing)
I find each and every one of those great games.

I consider it a personal insult for them to be called the Worst Games ever.

I mean, COME ON, they're infinitely better than E.T., or La Pucelle. I can understand dislikes of those games, and other games (Such as FF8), but for them to be called Worst Games Ever, is a joke.

Also, I can't consider Dirge of Cerberus one of the worst games ever, because unlike a few others, I actually completed it.

La Pucelle was so bad I couldn't complete it. I will not, however, say DoC is really any good.

Tekar
2007-06-16, 11:04 AM
I consider it a personal insult for them to be called the Worst Games ever.
lol, seriously?

But perhaps you should read my introduction to that post again. It comes down to this, if you would calculate game quality divided by game popularity then those three games would end up at the bottom of the list. Apart from that they're also the worst games I've ever *played* and I think it would be kind of pointless to start crying Superman64 just because I read somewhere it sucked while never having played it.

Morty
2007-06-16, 11:52 AM
But what exactly make you hate Age of Empires? I played Age of Empires II and it was very solid RTS. I can't really find anything to dislike in it unless someone hates RTS genre as a whole.

Tekar
2007-06-16, 01:46 PM
But what exactly make you hate Age of Empires? I played Age of Empires II and it was very solid RTS. I can't really find anything to dislike in it unless someone hates RTS genre as a whole.
Sure I like RTS games, they're not my favorite genre but I've had quite some fun with Starcraft and Medieval TW. However I fail to see where the strategy part is with Age Of Empires. It all comes down to knowing what to build when and klicking fast. And once you get down to the combat you lose all control.

Basicly all those games are always the same all the time and once theres nothing new to do and discover in a game I get bored by it really fast.

Logic
2007-06-16, 06:17 PM
I would like to mention an odd game that I am sure few of you ever heard of, and probably never played.

Hybrid Heaven-N64

The gameplay was basically a turn based wrestling match.

Steelwraith
2007-06-18, 11:54 PM
For console games, it would have to be the old Atari 2600 game Mission Impossible: ironically enough, it lived up to its name, as it was shipped with a nasty bug that made it impossible to beat.

For PC games, I would say Ultima 8: The sequel to one of my all time favorite rpg's was so bad, it pretty much destroyed the franchise for me.

Mad Jyle
2007-06-19, 04:09 PM
It's not a worst list until you include Daikatana.

beholder
2007-06-20, 07:49 AM

As far as bad games, there were plenty on the NES (10 Yard Fight, Slaughterhouse 5).

slaughterhouse 5? a game of kurt vonnegut's book about crazy people?

Jalor
2007-06-20, 08:41 PM
Starcraft.

I'm actually serious here.

Starcrap is the most overrated game ever made. It's billed as a strategy game, but there's no STRATEGY in it at all. I think a STRATEGY game should require actual STRATEGY to win. You should actually have to plan, make decisions based on the map and race choices. You should have to THINK about what you do. Not once playing Starcrap have I ever done that. In a STRATEGY game, there should be more than one way to win. Different STRATEGIES should all actually work. In a STRATEGY game like Dark Reign, Total Annihilation, Supreme Commander, or Rise of Legends, there are so many ways to win, especially in Total Annihilation where almost anything goes. Starcrap, on the other hand, can only be played one way. Rushing. Just build a squad of Marines, Zerglings, or Zealots and rush the enemy base before they get their rush ready. All the other units are useless. There's no STRATEGY. Now for my gripes about the game mechanics and graphics. It only lets you select 12 units at a time. So much for grand STRATEGY. And the physics, or lack thereof. Sure, it was made in 1998, but Total Annihilation was made a year before and is fully 3D. Sure, you only have a top-down view, but everything is calculated in full 3D. Trajectories for ranged weaponry, collisions, actual unit models, flying debris, everything. Rise of Legends doesn't even do that, and it was made 9 years later. Starcraft's sprite-based graphics were supposedly good for its time, but Total Annihilation beats it. Sure, the units have less personality, but at least the colors don't look washed out like Starcrap's. And the races. Any 40K player should know that Starcrap is just a cheap 40K knockoff. I really lose it when people say my 40K Tyranid army looks like a Zerg army. It's really the other way around. And the Protoss look too much like Eldar, even though the backstory is actually different. I mean, they "warp" the freakin' buildings in! Come on! Copyright infringement! Warcraft did the same. Games Workshop, not Blizzard, invented the green Orc. Of course, Games Workshop lost the lawsuit. Not to mention Starcrap lost the darkness and gothicness of 40K. Figures. I hear Blizzard's making a Starcraft 2 now. What will that be, Stardiarreah? My latest issue of PC Gamer had a freakin' Starcrap Marine on the freakin' cover, not to mention a huge article on it. I am disgusted.

[/rant]

I hope someone comments, because that took forever to type.

Setra
2007-06-20, 08:53 PM
Starcraft.
[snip]
While I do agree it is overrated, and some of your other points I can also agree with.

It is still far from Worst Game Ever.

Rigel Cyrosea
2007-06-20, 09:15 PM
Starcraft.

Starcrap is the most overrated game ever made. It's billed as a strategy game, but there's no STRATEGY in it at all. I think a STRATEGY game should require actual STRATEGY to win. You should actually have to plan, make decisions based on the map and race choices. You should have to THINK about what you do. Not once playing Starcrap have I ever done that. In a STRATEGY game, there should be more than one way to win. Different STRATEGIES should all actually work. In a STRATEGY game like Dark Reign, Total Annihilation, Supreme Commander, or Rise of Legends, there are so many ways to win, especially in Total Annihilation where almost anything goes. Starcrap, on the other hand, can only be played one way. Rushing. Just build a squad of Marines, Zerglings, or Zealots and rush the enemy base before they get their rush ready. All the other units are useless. There's no STRATEGY. Now for my gripes about the game mechanics and graphics. It only lets you select 12 units at a time. So much for grand STRATEGY. And the physics, or lack thereof. Sure, it was made in 1998, but Total Annihilation was made a year before and is fully 3D. Sure, you only have a top-down view, but everything is calculated in full 3D. Trajectories for ranged weaponry, collisions, actual unit models, flying debris, everything. Rise of Legends doesn't even do that, and it was made 9 years later. Starcraft's sprite-based graphics were supposedly good for its time, but Total Annihilation beats it. Sure, the units have less personality, but at least the colors don't look washed out like Starcrap's. And the races. Any 40K player should know that Starcrap is just a cheap 40K knockoff. I really lose it when people say my 40K Tyranid army looks like a Zerg army. It's really the other way around. And the Protoss look too much like Eldar, even though the backstory is actually different. I mean, they "warp" the freakin' buildings in! Come on! Copyright infringement! Warcraft did the same. Games Workshop, not Blizzard, invented the green Orc. Of course, Games Workshop lost the lawsuit. Not to mention Starcrap lost the darkness and gothicness of 40K. Figures. I hear Blizzard's making a Starcraft 2 now. What will that be, Stardiarreah? My latest issue of PC Gamer had a freakin' Starcrap Marine on the freakin' cover, not to mention a huge article on it. I am disgusted.

Did you even play starcraft? Wait, never mind, your post answers my question. Rushing is not the only viable strategy, and in fact is quite difficult to pull off succefully. A prepared player can defeat any rush. As for it being a rip-off of WH40k, that's not completely true. Marines are weak, space marines are strong. Zerg are based off of the movie Aliens, not Tyranids. The protoss are so dissimilar to the eldar, you can't have possibly looked at them. The protoss are massive, fight in close combat, are honourable, and have a much different past. Warping in buildings is a common concept. Again, the protoss are actually based on the movie predator, not anything by games workshop.

I am ready to admit that starcraft is far from a perfect game, but an uninformed rant like that just makes me angry.

Jalor
2007-06-21, 05:28 AM
As for it being a rip-off of WH40k, that's not completely true. Marines are weak, space marines are strong. Zerg are based off of the movie Aliens, not Tyranids. The protoss are so dissimilar to the eldar, you can't have possibly looked at them. The protoss are massive, fight in close combat, are honourable, and have a much different past. Warping in buildings is a common concept. Again, the protoss are actually based on the movie predator, not anything by games workshop.

Yes, the units are different gamplay and story-wise, but look at them. The Marine armor looks a lot like Space Marine power armor. The Zerg were clearly based on Tyranids. The Tyranids came before Zerg, and look more like Aliens then the Zerg. Even the buildings were rippped off. And anyone who says Tyranids don't have buildings needs to actually read the fluff. And the Protoss, sure, the Protoss themselves look like Predators, but look at the buildings and weapons. If I see Dragoons blasting Marines, and don't look at the Dragoons, my brain says "Hey, look , the Space Marines are getting fried by starcannons!". And to anyone who says I've never played Starcraft, I've actually played it more than Dark Reign, which was a much better game. I just played it after Dark Reign and Total Annihilation. And as for why I played a "bad" game so much, I was trying to find out why everyone else loves it. Obviously there must be something I've missed. I wanted to love that game. Really. Apparently the rest of the world really enjoys only selecting 12 units at a time, because I sure don't. It just isn't fun to inflict games on myself that should've been made several years earlier. And it isn't fun to play so many games out now that try to imitate Starcraft's gameplay, where the fastest unit is a land unit but you can't really tell by looking. Sure, Daikatana and Battlecruiser 3000 A.D. were worse games, but everyone agrees on that. I'll stick to Total Anihhilation, where some planes are 10 times faster than some tanks, or Dark Reign where my scout units can hide by projecting holograms of rocks and trees over themselves.

Emperor Ing
2007-06-21, 08:31 AM
Did you even play starcraft? Wait, never mind, your post answers my question. Rushing is not the only viable strategy, and in fact is quite difficult to pull off succefully. A prepared player can defeat any rush. As for it being a rip-off of WH40k, that's not completely true. Marines are weak, space marines are strong. Zerg are based off of the movie Aliens, not Tyranids. The protoss are so dissimilar to the eldar, you can't have possibly looked at them. The protoss are massive, fight in close combat, are honourable, and have a much different past. Warping in buildings is a common concept. Again, the protoss are actually based on the movie predator, not anything by games workshop.

I am ready to admit that starcraft is far from a perfect game, but an uninformed rant like that just makes me angry.

OK heres the main difference between Starcraft and WH40K
Blizzard did it all right! :smallbiggrin:

Rigel Cyrosea
2007-06-21, 12:56 PM
And to anyone who says I've never played Starcraft, I've actually played it more than Dark Reign, which was a much better game.

Starcrap, on the other hand, can only be played one way. Rushing. Just build a squad of Marines, Zerglings, or Zealots and rush the enemy base before they get their rush ready. All the other units are useless. There's no STRATEGY.

You're contradicting yourself here. You cannot truly believe both of those statements to be true.

Protoss vs Eldar comparison:
http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/6508/protosszealotgu8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/1097/eldarbz9.png (http://imageshack.us)

I can't really see any similarities at all there.

Apparently the rest of the world really enjoys only selecting 12 units at a time, because I sure don't.
This is one of the worst things about the game. However, there are many ways around it (such as hotkeying groups), and once you get used to them, it doesn't detract from the game.

The Zerg were clearly based on Tyranids. The Tyranids came before Zerg, and look more like Aliens then the Zerg.

You seem to be jumping to conclusions very quickly there. Just because two things are similar, doesn't mean one was based off of the other. As I said before, Zerg were based off of the movie aliens. They ended up similar to the Tyranids because that's what the Tyranids were based off of! The whole idea for starcraft originally was Alien vs Predator.

Another thing that sets starcraft apart is the story and characters. Starcraft has a good, long, and involving story with some of my favourite sci-fi characters. Tassadar is much cooler and better done than Eldrad Uthran. (Not that Eldrad is bad, but Tassadar is better) The story is not cliched (or at least, it wasn't at the time the game was released)
The bad guys win! How often does that happen? (I'm talking about brood war here)
Another thing that really makes it enjoyable is the unit's personalities. Each unit has it's own voice and moving portrait. The "Pissed Off" quotes are often hilarious, and very memorable, such as these, from Artanis:

"Explain this odd behavior."

"Stop poking me!"
- Famous orc "pissed off" quote from Warcraft

"What do I look like, an orc?"

"This is not Warcraft in Space!"
- Before its release, skeptics jokingly referred to Starcraft as "Warcraft in Space"

"It's much more... sophisticated!"

"I know it's not 3-D!"

And back on topic, my worst game was probably the 3D pitfall game for PS2. The 2D one was way more fun.

Ghal Marak
2007-06-21, 01:34 PM
I would have to say "Metal Dungeon". I hate that game for the wasted $50 that I spent on such utter crap. The game concept is you control a team of people that make raids on an ever changing dungeon of infinite proportions to try and kill the BBG at some random level.

Another one is "Circus Maximus". A game based on chariot races, of all things. It even supported co-operative play (The second player could attack other chariots from the back while the first player focused on driving the chariot). It's not that the game sucked. Quite the contrary, I found the game fun. It's just that it really failed to hold my intrest. I played it twice and shelved it.

Iskandar
2007-06-26, 07:18 PM
my vote is for games that not only were bad in their own right, but managed to kill the series they were part of.

MOO 3 has been already mentioned here.
I have to add two more, Star Control 3 and Cyberstorm 2.

Star Control 2 was a classic, and still holds up well years later. my friends and I were so excited when SC 3 was anounced. and then it arrived... oi, what a mess. dumb down, simplified, and a pale shadow of its predecessor.

and then there is Cyberstorm 2. I don't know if anyone has ever heard of Missionforce: Cyberstorm, the turn based strategy successor to the earthseige series? great, but severely underrated, game which I still recommend to anyone who likes BattleTech, or great TBS games in general.

I was really excited when Cyberstorm 2 was released, I was excited until I started to play it. so many things wrong, but two things stand out:

first, they tried changing the game play from TBS to RTS, but fearing to alienate the original fanbase, they tried making the game engine do both, you could play TBS or RTS as you chose. of course, this is not so good an idea, as a TBS game usually involves some micromanaging of units that isn't so easy done when played at real time speeds. so, a lot of the more tactical elements from the first game were left out or dumbed down, (a good example is how weapon ranges were reduced by half, or as much as a quarter in the case of missiles. or how the number of units that you could bring out was reduced by 75%, from 32 to 8 if you were lucky).

and the second was the AI, which was stump dumb and cheated. despite the fact that you and up to 8 other AI corporations were all supposed to be all fighting amongst yourselves, you NEVER EVER saw two AI opponents fight, or have one temporarily offer to team up with you against another. whenever you showed up, it was all against you, which would have been a problem is the AI scripting language wasn't flawed. but, no matter what kind of losses you handed the computer, it would automatically have all new units next time you fought, never mind how much it should have cost to replace those units, nor how much time it should have taken. a human player could be crippled by two or three losses in a row, forced to use less and smaller units in a downward spiral of destruction. a computer player had no problem fielding wave after wave of units.

small wonder that this game was panned by critics and gamers alike, and vanished quickly. which is sad, as the game set itself up at the end for a sequel (or maybe an expansion pack), and since it took all hope of another great game like the original with it.

Capt'n Ironbrow
2007-07-03, 12:24 PM
the worst game I ever played (bought for € 3,-/$4,-) is probably Tales of Imerion. It is a combination of the warlords series (combat system) with elements of civilisation (settlers to build cities, mines and roads) and Heroes of Might and Magic (unit training) but utterly crap.

besides the appaling graphics (your unit model seems enormous compared to other games of this type) there's no information at all within the game as to what buildings and units can or cannot do, heck, I put it down never to play again after 3 attempts at a scenario... Even the starting unit you get seems random... you might only start with a hero with no troops and can thus only acquire a settler to build you a city by mere chance (entering a dungeon/ruin/npc settlement), with the obvious risk of a "game over" the first attempt you make entering such a location.

In fact, I've never had a game more unplayable than Imerion. It stole from the three TBS classics but fails in actually everything it aims to accomplish as a game.

F.H. Zebedee
2007-07-03, 12:56 PM
Godzilla, for GBC. It was horrendous. The game could only be described as plodding. In a very bad way. Not to mention that you could almost beat it just by holding down Down B.

Summon Nights 2 was pretty horrendous. It had so many mother-f'ing fetchquests that I just shut it off. Not worth the time.

Pokemon Colloseum was fairly awful. Nothing really worth getting except for the "Catch 'em all" deal. Plot was fairly bleh, and they threw away a chance to tell a story of redemption for a cheap "You can steal Pokemon from Evil!" deal. I SOOO would have preferred one where you WERE evil for at least a scene or two, and then find the error of your ways. Pokemon needs to get over itself and shake things up.

And don't worry about the Starcraft hater up there. He's a 40k player. They can't accept anything being better than their game. Hell, on my forums, I had a three page debate with some of them about Heroclix's merits vs. 40k, and they refused to accept that:
A. Heroclix really is (or was, at the time) easier and more convenient to pick up and play.
B. The ability of 40k figs to survive being stepped on really doesn't matter much, as Heroclix is much cheaper and very easy to repair. Besides, who stomps on their figures, anyways?
B.

Ronsian
2007-07-03, 01:33 PM
Black and White 2, pretty bad. Why? It was boring. As good, you spent hours building a huge city. That was it. As evil, you did that, and got units. Except, the enemy got over twice yours, and were all veteran. I bought the expansion pack and thought it got better... it didn't.

Simpsons: Hit And run, again, pretty bad. Need I explain?

Sacred was good for awhile, until I got alot of game-crashing bugs, and turned all my characters into bunnies (what the heck??)

Simisle. I got it as a kid, and was very excited. I installed it, and was astounded. I got on screen, but couldn't do anything. I pressed lots of buttons, called my dad over, and he couldn't figure it out.

Medieval Conquest: Not very exciting, you couldn't do a whole lot.

A few more, but I can't remeber that. And to Jalor, I cannot honestly say I believe ANY of that. I would even put it up for the BEST game ever.

Meshakhad
2007-07-03, 01:33 PM
Worst RTS: Dune 2000. OK, I enjoyed this game for a while, but compared to other strategy games, it's not very good. Really a C&C clone, with several flaws, though not enough to ruin the game.
Worst RPG: Temple of Elemental Evil. I had three beefs. One, I couldn't figure out looting. Two, clerics can't spontaneously cast healing spells, so to heal the group up requires a day to switch spells. Three, it's a simple meat grinder.
Worst Game of All Time: Airport Tycoon. You just sit and wait for an airline to give you a contract. Bo-ring!

As for Starcraft, that game is great. I'm not that good myself (I'm slow) but it's still fun.

Vespe Ratavo
2007-07-03, 02:01 PM
The Outfit for Xbox 360. Waste of 20 dollars.

Illiterate Scribe
2007-07-03, 03:09 PM
MOO3 - from the rule-book, it looked so good! However, no matter what combination of stuff I try, I can't make it beyond about turn 5 without being overthrown or running out of money.

Big Bug Basher
2007-07-03, 06:43 PM
worst game? ever that supid bionicles game, hands down. not only does the small amount of plot it has suck, they made it WAY to hard I meen they have a rediculis first level! if it was easier it might be kindof good...

Rigel Cyrosea
2007-07-03, 07:50 PM
And don't worry about the Starcraft hater up there. He's a 40k player. They can't accept anything being better than their game. Hell, on my forums, I had a three page debate with some of them about Heroclix's merits vs. 40k, and they refused to accept that:
A. Heroclix really is (or was, at the time) easier and more convenient to pick up and play.
B. The ability of 40k figs to survive being stepped on really doesn't matter much, as Heroclix is much cheaper and very easy to repair. Besides, who stomps on their figures, anyways?
B.

Actually, I'm a 40k player myself. I love 40k, but it's got some definite flaws. Like being way, way, too expensive. And it is very complicated. I still think it's a great game. However, I don't think it's very similar to starcraft, except at first glance. Starcraft is also a great game, but the pace is completely different. (among other things)

I've never heard of heroclix.

Akennedy
2007-07-03, 08:37 PM
The WORST GAME EVER has to be the LOTR the fellowship of the ring "A strategy battle game", the tabletop LOTR's mock of warhammer fantasy. It blowed. Reasons?
1: It never took off, i got stuck payin 100$ for a piece of garbage
2: LOTR was never meant to be a tabletop strategy game
3: there are only 2 or 3 different factions you can play as! it was a load of B.S. of after about 3 battles, you've faught just about everything.

Dant
2007-07-04, 08:00 AM
Hmm, worst game I've played? Difficult. I try to avoid the bad one. I've got three I think though. Call of Duty 3 disappointed me. I saw it and thought it would be great. I mean, wow, a WW2 game that actually lets you play as a Canadian! And hey, it's CoD, the other two were great! Well, it was... decent. But really overly generic and not nearly as good. It's like they just didn't bother putting any real effort into it.

Uh, Spider-Man 3. 'Nough said.

And finally, the one people may hate me for, Wolfenstein-3D. I know it's a classic, but I didn't play it until I'd played Quake 2 and Unreal Tournament. Yah, Wolfenstein kinda sucks after that. Actually, on that vein, I didn't like DOOM very much either. Please don't hurt me.

As for Starcraft, I'll admit it has flaws, 12 units selection max being one. And I'll admit that at first glance the races look very similar to WH40K. The reason for this though is that they are both military SF. Besides, people always act like WH never stole any ideas for it's races and units. Space Marines? Mobile Infantry from Starship Troopers. Actually, Tyranids, the Bugs from Starship Troopers. Or maybe the Buggers from Enders Game. Or any other number of biological races that have a hive mind and run around clawing stuff up. Eldar? Psionic/telepathic, enigmatic alien races have been a staple of SF since the genre began. Holy Terra? Trantor from the Foundation series, same goes for Hive cities. I could probably come up with more if I tried. Being totally original is difficult :)

Emperor Ing
2007-07-04, 08:11 AM
Being totally original is difficult :smallsmile:

while its hard, and I totally agree with you Its been done though, even by your fellow playgrounders! :smallwink:

doliemaster
2007-07-04, 10:36 PM
Eragon, The game.......killing things was the only reason I didn't put the controller down, it might just be my complete lack of games I DON'T like.

Hell Puppi
2007-07-04, 11:05 PM
My friends and I played a bunch of older games, and I don't remember which one it was exactly but it was a dune game that went something like this:
"Hello, I am your mother!"
Really?
"Hello, I am your father!"
Must you really explain this?
Go outside, get shot down: end of game.

I also second black and white 2.

Leon
2007-07-04, 11:06 PM
Two, clerics can't spontaneously cast healing spells, so to heal the group up requires a day to switch spells.

hmm, was sure you could - havent played for a very long time as my saves corupted and i lost interest

Dhavaer
2007-07-04, 11:10 PM
Worst RPG: Temple of Elemental Evil. I had three beefs. One, I couldn't figure out looting. Two, clerics can't spontaneously cast healing spells, so to heal the group up requires a day to switch spells. Three, it's a simple meat grinder.

You can spontaneously cast spells, I think you hold down shift or something.
My problems with ToEE was that the random generator seemed cursed, the computer occasionally outright cheated, the rules seemed inconsistantly applied and some feats simply didn't work.
The combat system was great, though.

BanjoTheClown
2007-07-04, 11:56 PM
Lost Kingdoms For Gamecube.Waste of Money.

Lolzords
2007-07-05, 07:51 AM
Worst RTS: Dune 2000. OK, I enjoyed this game for a while, but compared to other strategy games, it's not very good. Really a C&C clone, with several flaws, though not enough to ruin the game.

I agree, it's good but there are a lot of games which surpass it. Dawn of War and Age of Empires for example.

doliemaster
2007-07-05, 10:17 AM
I haven't played ANY RTS better than Age of empires 2, except MAYBE empire earth depending on what I want to play.

SurlySeraph
2007-07-05, 02:35 PM
This isn't the worst game ever, but the worst game that's supposedly a great game is Europa Universalis II. It combines the nerve-wracking time pressure of an RTS with the confusing interface and lame graphics of a turn-based strategy game. The manual was useless and the tutorial was broken - there is no way to figure out the game except practice. Also, the music was brain-splitting, if distorted string music that sounds like people chanting "Hi hi hi hi hi hi HIHIHI hi" can be called "music." I hate that game. I played it 5 times before I gave up trying to understand it and got rid of it.

H. Zee
2007-07-06, 01:02 AM
Worst game ever? For me, it was a quite obscure game called 'THE SEED - Warzone' on PS2. My dad bought it for me, and I have to admit it looks alright at first, but when you actually play it you get five minutes in and get this uneasy feeling of WTF...And then, in another twenty minutes, you have been driven to howling, frustrated insanity.

Let me explain. Firstly, the graphics. You are meant to be piloting starships over otherwordly terrain, yet the graphics show a green circle moving very very slowly over a blank pink space, dotted with other coloured circles. Seriously, its graphics I'd be disappointed to see on a Gameboy Colour, let alone a PS2 game. Secondly, fighting. When you attack an enemy's base (never the enemy itself - they are twice as fast as you and only ever attack if they are certain to win, which is often) it doesn't let you control your fighters! Instead, it switches to a cutscene of your ships flying around, letting loose a few laser beams or something, and then eventually getting blown up after flying right into an oncoming missile which you could easily have dodged had you been in control. Then, you're back in the mothership, with next-to-no money and an irritating sidekick telling you repeatedly that you need to build more ships (you're head of an intergalactic empire, yet you have to build ships, not simply send for reinforcements). The only ships you can get for free are actually called Sea Cows. They're big and slow and never win.

Thirdly, the characters and dialogue. Each 'character' is merely a static, never-changing manga drawing whose dialogue comes up as words beneath them and you cannot skip until it has all been very slowly written out. Inter-character conversations go on for hours. I actually remember them having a half-hour conversation about whether they left the kettle on or not, in the middle of a battlefield! I'M NOT JOKING!

Oh, and there was no plot at all, the annoying beepy muzak slowly turned your brain to porridge which oozed out of your ears, and whenever you lost (which was always) your 'lovable sidekicks' would have a little laugh at your expense. Oh, and the game manual didn't actually explain how to do anything, not even move. And it wasn't explained in-game either. And there were too many spelling mistakes.

Sorry for the rant, but I really didn't like that game. I only played it for about half an hour, but my dad, unable to believe he'd bought such a pile of crap, played it every night for about a week afterwards. Eventually, he had to give up, not ever having got past the second planet or level or whatever.

I played this game several years ago, so it might actually be slightly better than I remember it. It certainly couldn't be any worse.

trollhammeren
2007-07-06, 08:03 AM
Starcraft.

Starcraft needs more strategy than most other games. In other games you get all your units together and attack as one big unit. Because of the 12 unit selection, you have to use more squad based combat than other games. And rushing? If you rush, you die. In the time it takes you to make 12 marines, your opponent will probably already have 5 zealots or about 20 million zerglings. Both aron e more than a match for your marines.
About zerg being based on nids. Who gives a crap? Most of 40k and fantasy is based on stealing. Space marines - Original MI form starship troopers, nids - aliens, empire - germans, bretonnians - french, treemen - ents. And how can you call a game crap because of the graphics? Look at the FF VII, one of the best games ever but terrible graphics. Now look at black, some of the best graphics ever but a horrible game. The only things that protoss and eldar have in common are are the whole aloof, highly advanced, arrogance thing. Their combat doctrine is also completely reversed. Eldar use hit-and-run tactics, staying as far away as possible except for a chosen few (howling banshees, striking scorpions etc) while protoss are honourable and use mainly close combat.
Starcraft isnit meant to be dark or gothic so of course it doesnt have the darkness or goticness of 40k.

tobian
2007-07-06, 01:49 PM
Never before had I played a game that I couldn't figure out despite any notions that it was a "bad" game.

Then came SimIsle.

My god, I think I tried every button on my laptop and still couldn't figure out what the heck I was supposed to do. That gets the vote for my worst game ever; it was unplayable! Even the stupid gambit system in FF12 was understandable compared to that.

Meshakhad
2007-07-06, 04:32 PM
An answer to those who say that "Starcraft ripped off WH40k!"

Stealing someone else's concept is a proud tradition in fantasy & sci-fi. There's nothing wrong with it at all.

trollhammeren
2007-07-06, 06:47 PM
An answer to those who say that "Starcraft ripped off WH40k!"

Stealing someone else's concept is a proud tradition in fantasy & sci-fi. There's nothing wrong with it at all.

Thank you. Hardly any sci fi and fantasy films/games/movies are originally these days. Or ever. As someone said earlier in this thread, its hard to original.

Fishies
2007-07-06, 06:53 PM
Telefang Power! Or maybe Telefang Speed...

Ceres
2007-07-09, 05:25 PM
Wikipedia has an article entitled "Video games notable for negative reception" which contains games that are arguably the worst ever created. Especially Big Rigs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_rigs:over_the_road_racing)... *shudders*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_games_notable_for_negative_reception

Megalomaniac2
2007-07-09, 06:07 PM
I have thus far been largely successful at avoiding genuinely godawful games, but I must mention two major disappointments for me: Star Wars: Force Commander, and Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds, two ground-based Star Wars RTSs.

There's nothing I can say about Galactic Battlegrounds that hasn't already been said. Essentially an Age of Empires mod with almost no substantial difference between the factions it offers and not a speck of innovation, this game put the Star Wars universe through contortions in order to convince us that the Galactic Empire was going to advance through "Civilization Ages" on the battlefield... or that Battle Droids cost FOOD to produce.

Force Commander, on the other hand, had potential. Its camera system offered fantastic flexibility, and it had a genuinely innovative success-based economic and production system. Also, its manual was a hoot to read; done up in the style of an Imperial military rulebook, it mentions miniature ocular scanners observing the players viewing habits and other Orwellian tidbits. But the graphics, gameplay, and action (when an AT-ST fired, it blipped out a little green dot at a leisurely pace... no fun) were all terribly lacking.

Corvus
2007-07-09, 06:28 PM

I'm guesing you aren't one of us old timer gamers, who remember a little gem of a game called Dune 2, released back in '92. Dune 2 was one of the very first RTS games every released and set the model for all other RTS games, including C&C, to follow. Dune 2000 was just a remake of the game for windows with improived graphics (Dune 2 being a DOS game.)

So infact C&C is the clone, not Dune 2000.

trollhammeren
2007-07-09, 08:46 PM
Dune and C&C games are awesome.

Belteshazzar
2007-07-09, 09:10 PM
Reply to Jalor :
I am afraid you can't point fingers at Starcraft for ripping off Warhammer unless you need us loyal fans to point out that Warhammer basically put Dune and DnD in a blender and set it to high for their Universe I mean come on.

And if you want to see a game that loves to rush I happen to have Warhammer 40k Dawn of War on this computer and let me tell you not even the greenest n00b on the Korean Battlenet servers rushes like the AI in that game. I hardly have a chance to build a Chapel-Barracks and I got cultists laying the smack on my poor servitors with what amounts to an angry flashlight.

As to the graphics being inferior surely you are not one of those people who submit the the almighty polygon count above all else? That is the kind of thinking that brought us Oblivion and its shiny but shallow facade of bloom and doom.

trollhammeren
2007-07-09, 09:19 PM
Reply to Jalor :
I am afraid you can't point fingers at Starcraft for ripping off Warhammer unless you need us loyal fans to point out that Warhammer basically put Dune and DnD in a blender and set it to high for their Universe I mean come on.

And if you want to see a game that loves to rush I happen to have Warhammer 40k Dawn of War on this computer and let me tell you not even the greenest n00b on the Korean Battlenet servers rushes like the AI in that game. I hardly have a chance to build a Chapel-Barracks and I got cultists laying the smack on my poor servitors with what amounts to an angry flashlight.

As to the graphics being inferior surely you are not one of those people who submit the the almighty polygon count above all else? That is the kind of thinking that brought us Oblivion and its shiny but shallow facade of bloom and doom.

My point exactly.

Jacob_Gallagher
2007-07-09, 09:51 PM
The worst game ever is Left Behind: Eternal Forces. Basically, somebody decided that making a Christian videogame about killing people was a good idea, and made a crappy game with crappy graphics about praying to god and killing things. Gamers hated it because it sucked, Christians hated it because it was too violent.

Avaris
2007-07-11, 07:16 PM
Of the games I've played, two qualify as worst ever IMO (though fortunately I have avoided the worst it seems. These games are ok, I just hate em)

The first is Summoner on PS2. The combat system is ok, but I found the game itself prety much unplayable. You do not make such a large world and then give the player an awful map and journel system. I recall being told to return an item to someone in the market district... bit of a shame there were probably at least 50 characters there, mostly generics, none of whom had any indication of role etc. Very frustrating.

The second is Neverwinter Nights. Never have I been so dissapointed with a game. It claimed to be the spiritual succesor to Baldur's Gate, yet the gameplay and story were awful (poor games claiming to be like good games is a pet peeve of mine... case study: Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance... shameless money-grabber at 12 o'clock). It seemed designed for online play, as if the single player bit was an afterthought, yet it was not advertised in any way as such. I immediantly had a bad feeling about it when it started in an 'adventurers school'... have they lost all imaginaton?

ForzaFiori
2007-07-11, 11:43 PM
Metropolis Mania for PS2.
i got it for my birthday a few years ago. all u do is design a freaking city.

bugsysservant
2007-07-12, 01:25 AM
Hmmm... My list of terrible games. Bear in mind that I haven't played a lot of the really old, or the really bad games (E.T., Superman 64), but I do have a few that just piss me off.

1. Morrowind-Yes, I have played it a lot. I was initially amazed by the size of the world, the graphics, the freefrom gameplay. But that bogged down fast. For one thing, you can't sell anything. I have an inventory filled with daedric claymores, and nowhere to sell them. I have an obscure staff worth more than any other item I have seen or heard of in the game, and I just have to hang on to it. Another thing, The quests for the actual storyline SUCK. I spent hours wandering around the the dwarven mines (or whatever they were called) looking for a puzzle cube, one of the first quests, because they chose to make the game realistic with deep shadows and darkness, completely ignoring the fact that you can't see anything in that environment, leading to endless wandering. Also, I can't go into Vivec because the Vivec guards attack me on sight, so I can't take three steps without having to have a tedious battle. Also, you don't know what the scrolls do, and the magic effects are crappy. While this is a good game if you want to spend a few days wandering around a massive world killing things, it just doesn't work for me.

2. Guild Wars. The disapointment of this game was caused largely by its hype. I had yet to hear a bad review when I bought it, and it was with great enthusiasm that I set out into the world. But then it hit me. EVERY FREAKIN' QUEST IN THE CAMPAIGN IS EXACTLY THE SAME!!! Run from point a to point b, killing monsters. Run from point a to point b, killing monsters. Run from point a to point b killing monsters while carrying something!!! And the way they handled the power scale is atrocioius. Even though my character is the highest level, he can't just go to the initial ground and run from Ascalon to the Sardelac sanitarium without several annoying battles. My character is level 20. At what point are you allowed to stop caring about every idiotic low level respawning creature? Ugh. And people wonder why I haven't finished the campaign.

3. I feel that the wheel of time deserves an honorable mention. They took one of the greatest fantasy authors of all time, badly misinterpreted major aspects of his books, and gave you a game interface that moved so much that I couldn't play it for more than half an hour without turning it off because I was nauseous. But otherwise a decent game.

4. Finally...The Catwoman game released with the recent movie. This was bought by my brother who claimed it was the best game ever written for computers. I tried once, but the controls were so bad that I couldn't manage to do anything. They work for him, but this is also the person who will changed the controls on the standard FSP from wasd motion with the array of options granted by the surrounding keys to the forward and back arrow keys. He doesn't even bother to reset the strafe for the side to side. The controls on this game have single handedly led to my never touching games based on movies.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-07-12, 02:21 AM
Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance... shameless money-grabber at 12 o'clock).

Apparently, Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance wasn't supposed to have anything to do with the PC games, but the publisher only had the rights to make Forgotten Realms games if they had Baldur's Gate in the title. Therefore they were forced to call it Baldurs Gate even if they didn't want to.

NWN is all about the toolset.

jazz1m
2007-07-12, 09:48 AM
The worst game I ever played

Guts - SNES (you remember that Nickolodeon TV show called Guts? Yeah they made a video game out of it)

Anyone remember the show, I always thought it was pretty lame, you go through all this trouble of participating on the show, climbing the aggro crag, and at the end all you get is a medal and a piece of the aggro crag? Man, at least give me space camp...

AslanCross
2007-07-13, 08:37 PM
The Summoning, a really old SSI RPG for the PC. It was actually really fun until I got stuck because I had to throw away a mundane item that was unfortunately required as a key item much later. The problem was that I could never figure out where I dropped it. I was at the second-to-last level too. Argh.

(Of course you could say that I was just dumb for throwing away an item. Yeah, it was partly my fault. X_x)

Crispy Dave
2007-07-14, 04:08 PM
goblin comander unleashe the hourd

only 1 race and no skirmish battles unless multiplayer
very crappy campain

The Orange Zergling
2007-07-14, 07:53 PM
Dunno if I've said this before, but Ape Escape 2 (3?) for the Ps2.

Basically, the graphics, characters, and plot are all crappy, sugar-coated, and generally far more little-child oriented than I was led to believe. This is partly my fault, because the friend who told me about it has very sheltering parents, but /shrug. Also, the controls SUCKED. Seriously, wtf? The control stick is used for selecting your weapon/device instead of movement? And the concept in itself is really, really stupid. I got to like the second boss before I gave up... just... ew.