PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Occultist- Sha'Ir

cecil1994
2015-10-02, 06:14 PM
Hey, I'm considering playing a Sha'Ir Occultist, and I can't help but feel like it's not worth it. I'll be at third level, which means k will only have 1 actual school of magic (I'm going for Transmutation), which means I have more Focus Power options (and, simultaneously, more Mental Focus) than I ever will need.
Also, I will be lower on spells than normal?

I enjoy the idea of this archetype, but it seems somewhat weaker than the base occultist. Plus, I'm not even sure what Element would be worth it.

All this rambling aside, I'm just curious what everyone thinks about this archetype. Thoughts?

CockroachTeaParty
2015-10-02, 07:18 PM
If you can get a +1 weapon, you can blow all of your mental focus on the legacy weapon focus power to get a bane weapon every fight. It's good for archers or melee-focused occultists.

cecil1994
2015-10-02, 07:47 PM
If you can get a +1 weapon, you can blow all of your mental focus on the legacy weapon focus power to get a bane weapon every fight. It's good for archers or melee-focused occultists.

Unfortunately, I don't have the money for that. My spell slot for Transmutation is going into Enlarge Person, too- so I don't have Magic Weapon either.

jesterjeff
2017-06-13, 05:44 PM
You do also get a school of elemental magic, I suggest fire for your 1st jin.
You end up with 3 compliment schools and 3 elemental schools, the elemental schools are cross school with evocation and conjugation common.
Personally, I'd go fire and transmutation at 1st, water and divination or abjuration at 4th, and either earth or void with necromancy at 14th. You'll end up packing some serious firepower both in spells and focus powers.

Florian
2017-06-14, 01:26 AM
Gaining three elemental schools (along three classic schools) make the Sha´ir the "blaster" Occultist archetype. It´s actually not bad at that, as Focus Powers lend the casting endurance that a 6/9 caster would normally lack. Personally, I´d dip one level in Sorcerer to push the damage and invest in Eldritch Heritage to push it even more. First pick would be Fire and Evocation, Transmutation and Water go to 4th level.