PDA

View Full Version : Shield Guardian Spell

cooperjer
2015-10-02, 06:45 PM
I'm setting up an encounter that will use a shield guardian. The guardian has the ability to cast one spell when commanded or on a trigger. In this encounter, the guardian will be controlled by a cleric. My thought for spells that would help the cleric escape the encounter would be: Sanctuary, Warding Bond, and meld into Stone. Sanctuary is not idea as the cleric would be susceptible to area of effect spells and if the Wis test is good then it can be attacked. Warding Bond, is questionable is actually allowing an escape. Meld into Stone is better than Warding Bond, but still questionable on the escape. What do you feel would make for an interesting encounter against a shield guardian and a cleric?

MrStabby
2015-10-02, 07:37 PM
Are there domain spells eligible as well?

Chaosvii7
2015-10-02, 07:51 PM
I actually made a topic about this myself, earlier. Link here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?440004-Best-spell-to-put-into-a-Shield-Guardian)

The general consensus was that Dimension Door is good if you want your BBEG to have the potential to live through the fight and come back, and Polymorphing the owner of the shield guardian into a giant creature with a lot of spare HPs makes them hard to kill due to the extra HP and the half damage the shield guardian grants.

Other suggestions included Otiluke's resilient sphere and greater invisibility, as well as revivify if the character dies.