PDA

View Full Version : Sunless Citadel Treasure Replacement?

SovelsAtaask
2015-10-02, 09:02 PM
I've been running the Sunless Citadel adventure with a PbP group, but I've been looking through and I've seen a bit of an issue. This adventure assumes you have the standard warrior, thief, healer, mage archetypes in your party. However, I do not. My players consist of a kobold rogue, a half-elf ranger that seems to going for TWF, a human favored soul, and an azurin crusader.

There's a lot of arcane scrolls, which aren't good for much besides selling. Any suggestions for replacements for arcane scrolls of mage armor, spider climb, pyrotechnics, and Melf's acid arrow? I'm looking for useful cleric scrolls and neat items of similar value. All sources allowed.

frost890
2015-10-02, 11:04 PM
Ummm.. what was the fourth class? Now as for the treasure, why do you need to change it? Yes you do not seem to have an arcane caster but You should not have to change all the loot. Finding someone to sell it to can be just as much as a follow on adventure hook. Another option if you still feel you need to change it is to not give them the scrolls and put in a magic item that could be useful. At the starting levels it is better to get a silvered sword then a arcane scroll if you do not have a caster for it. your best bet for the types of divine scrolls is some of the D&D spell apps. they will give you all the spells and most are free.

SovelsAtaask
2015-10-02, 11:24 PM
Whoops, fourth class is a crusader. I meant to go back and edit that in, but it ended up not happening.

I'm not planning on replacing every single unusable item, just some of them. I could make an adventure out of finding a buyer for several scrolls, but "The Quest for Magic-Mart" is not something I want to run.

Afgncaap5
2015-10-02, 11:53 PM
Well... it's probably not what the player envisioned when he or she took the role, but the kobold rogue could theoretically make use of all that arcane gear with a decent UMD check.

The Mage Armor scroll might be replaceable with Shield of Faith. At a caster level of 1 it'd only give half of the protection for 1/60th of the time, but it's theoretically an option. For Melf's Acid Arrow... maybe Spiritual Weapon? Technically less damage on average, but 2d4 is only half a point of damage better than 1d8 (unless the scroll were prepared at third level or higher, in which case Acid Arrow starts to outpace it.) For Spider Climb... what if instead of a Cleric spell for the Favored Soul you made a Martial Script for the Crusader? A scroll of Battle Leader's Charge, for instance? A charge attack that won't provoke attacks of opportunity and does an extra ten points of damage on contact is arguably an improvement over being able to climb the walls in some ways, but definitely not in others. As for Pyrotechnics... I'm not sure.

One of the problems here is that wizard and sorcerer spells are designed to be, well... flashy. Their things are going to be a bit shinier than clerics (usually) unless you decide to do more than replace them. You could improve many of them by upping the caster level, but if you're worried about even parity with what the original treasure was then this probably isn't a great idea since upping caster level (arguably) increases the value of the scroll by a great deal. It'll bump up what you can sell it for if nothing else.

Pex
2015-10-03, 12:08 AM
Replace Shatterspike with some other magic weapon the crusader would like. It could but doesn't have to be a Discipline weapon. No one takes Improved Sunder, and a crusader definitely wouldn't as any strike he could do is inherently superior to sundering.

Personally I think the developers knew no player would take the feat on their own and made Shatterspike the Treasure Weapon as an incentive.

SovelsAtaask
2015-10-03, 08:17 AM
I totally forgot the ToB classes have scroll-like items, I'll definitely check that out. Thanks, don't know how that slipped my mind.

And yes I agree that Shatterspike is a pretty lame weapon. What kind of adventurer tries to destroy their loot? I'll look into alternatives.

Afgncaap5
2015-10-03, 02:34 PM
I totally forgot the ToB classes have scroll-like items, I'll definitely check that out. Thanks, don't know how that slipped my mind.

No worries. There is no secret ingredient, after all.