PDA

View Full Version : help me build a character please. Make it functional and competitive, but not OP :)

ngilop
2015-10-02, 09:10 PM
Hey guys, so a game that I asked help for years ago and that I never got any help on, well I did get help but not the help that I wanted.

has an open position again and I really want to get in this game, the story line seems cool and I have my awesome background ready and willing to go.

SO some rules. DO NOT DO THE TYPICAL GITP protocol; wherein I mean you create me some kind of unstoppable undefeatable monster. and please PLEASE do not just throw a build out to me that is in direct opposition to what I requested.

I want a competent character that does what I am envisioning well, not something that makes every body else worthless and therefore pointless in even being in a team based type of game.

this is what I want my class progression to be
Favored soul 5/divine oracle 10<>Paladin5/pious templar 8/Saint 2 for the 15th level
and
Favored soul 9/divine oracle 10<>Paladin5/pious templar 10/Saint 2 for the 19th level

Human and with a focus on self buffs in spell selection, the most powerful thing I ant is to DMM: persist my self buffs ( which I want to be defensively buff like holy aura and freedom of movement, death ward etc etc) I think that with the extra feats filled with Extra turning that should be decent enough to fuel me having some decent buffs up.

my character concept is a holy warrior chosen to meet his fate at the end of a great and enduring hardship that will decide the fate of the rest of the world.

Group 1 is level 15

Group 2 is level 19

Gestalt Rules. No mixing of Prestige classes, meaning you cannot get more than one per track. Most Classes are allowed, although I admit that even after several years I still do not understand how the classes in Tome of Battle work. Feel free to explain them to me again, and if you choose to play as one be prepared to explain it to me several more times. No Psionics, sorry.

40 Point buy.

Ability score boosts increase two abilities by 1.

Two feats at each interval (1, 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18) so you can make better use of your Gestalt classes.

Two extra skill points per level and eight bonus points at level 1.

Malroth
2015-10-02, 09:37 PM
The problem is what is functional and what is OP vary wildly, Some gamers here would consider DMM Persisting every cleric buff in existence to be Underpowered and barely worth the space on a party roster while some of the playgrounds Denizens think that skill focus (Craft basketweaving) is too powerful and that anyone who takes any feat that improves any of their rolls should be eaten by Orcus. You also have a very condescending attitude and much of your build seems set in stone. You honestly aren't giving the playgrounders much room to work with or incentive to be helpful.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-10-02, 10:05 PM
Am I misunderstanding something? You said only one prestige class at a time but both your builds have each track taking a prestige class.

As for Favored Soul spells I would recommend nothing with a save. It will reduce the stress on your stats. Self/party buffs are always a good choice and here is a good start. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?74555-Best-Low-Level-Cleric-Buff-Spells)
If you cannot actually keep up that PrC progression I would recommend taking paladin to full to take advantage of Battle Blessing.
Avoid overlap between Pious Templar and Favored Soul. I don't have CDivine handy the check, sorry.

ngilop
2015-10-02, 10:09 PM
The problem is what is functional and what is OP vary wildly, Some gamers here would consider DMM Persisting every cleric buff in existence to be Underpowered and barely worth the space on a party roster while some of the playgrounds Denizens think that skill focus (Craft basketweaving) is too powerful and that anyone who takes any feat that improves any of their rolls should be eaten by Orcus. You also have a very condescending attitude and much of your build seems set in stone. You honestly aren't giving the playgrounders much room to work with or incentive to be helpful.

Because when I do this, literally everytime I ask for character help. the vast majority of GITP-ers 'advice; is 'youre dumb' 'play a wizard' 'or insert ToB class that I said I did not want to be'

basically what I really need help with is the feat selection ( since I have so so many feats) and what Items I should be getting

It just gets frustrating when I get insulted over and over again on these forums by people who deliberately just say what they want and completely ignore my guidelines-if you will-. I ask if there is a PrC that does X for a rogue and people even though it was mentioned X books are not allowed, proceed to tel lme to use class from said book and then next post they put how im dumb for taking Endurance even though that feat fills out my backstory on how I was able to survive for long long staying ahead of the dire wolf pack and half-starved.

Sorry if I came across condescending, Im trying to work out bad habits such as getting mad at people for insulting me on forums and then throwing such emotions back at others some of whom are innocent.

What I mean by effective an not overpowered is. well of course NO Tippy style crazy shenanigans. I do nto want inifite loops or anything close to Pun-Pun. I basically want an oracle who is melee capable AND I do notmean totally replaces all melee, but one who can hold his own. mostly because of his defensive spells and abilities/feats.

But don't go to the extreme opposite side of the spectrum, be a jerk to me, and then tell me to pick up acrobatic for all my feats like some have suggested before.

What would you do at your table and how would you make a melee Favored Soul who is mostly a shield wall rather than a shock trooper.

ngilop
2015-10-02, 10:15 PM
Am I misunderstanding something? You said only one prestige class at a time but both your builds have each track taking a prestige class.

As for Favored Soul spells I would recommend nothing with a save. It will reduce the stress on your stats. Self/party buffs are always a good choice and here is a good start. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?74555-Best-Low-Level-Cleric-Buff-Spells)
If you cannot actually keep up that PrC progression I would recommend taking paladin to full to take advantage of Battle Blessing.
Avoid overlap between Pious Templar and Favored Soul. I don't have CDivine handy the check, sorry.

I might be mis interpreting per track.. I thought one PrC per track meant one per side of the gestalt. or in other teams I thought a track was a side of a gestalted class and that each track could have their own PrC but only one.

Pluto!
2015-10-02, 10:16 PM
So for clarification, you want suggestions, but will potentially be offended if they make your character stronger and will potentially be offended if we ask you to change your existing feat intentions.

I'm going to consult JOSHUA on what the winning move is here...

Malroth
2015-10-02, 10:18 PM
Honestly at my tables I'd go for Tippy loops since I'm likely to fight CR 20 monsters by lv 4 regardless of my build thus Favored Soul and Melee would never enter the same sentence together. If i were to enter a table with sane people? I guess Intuitive Attack/Shiba Protector to reduce my MAD and rely on a ton of buffs.

ngilop
2015-10-02, 10:37 PM
So for clarification, you want suggestions, but will potentially be offended if they make your character stronger and will potentially be offended if we ask you to change your existing feat intentions.

and this is a prime example of what I was talking about.

I am not saying that making my character stronger is going to offend but pay attention to what I want to play and that I do not want to be a one man army capable of taking on a balor at level 4.

IF tippy is a 10 and WOTC is a 1. try to a 5 or 6.

I want a competent character not a 'why do I need the rest of my party character'

frost890
2015-10-02, 10:42 PM
Ok I do not mean to be a jerk but... You have most of what you want but it seems like you do not want to take credit for it. Now since we do not know what kind of GM you have the definition of unstoppable is something you need to clarify. You also might want to tell us WHAT it is you are envisioning if you want us to work around it. I can take a character and play it three different ways. What do you see as making everybody worthless? The build you described makes you the Holy fighter, Augmenter(buff/debuff), Healer and Face.
Now as with most Gestalt builds you are making a GOD!!! Something that is greater then those around you and able to fill more roles.

ngilop
2015-10-02, 10:56 PM
Well I am going to be heavy with Charisma BUT I do nto want to be a party face, thought I may have to grudgingly do so ( wich would be great for the RP)

Im going to self buffs and focusing on the whole, well to put it MMORPG style Protection paladin.

I do not want to do a lot of damage, well burst damage more accurately. but I want to be the rock that they (the enemy) has to smash through to get to my teammates.

I do nto want to be a glory hound but I ' somebody has got to do it;

If you wanna drop in a few martial studies that's OK, I think there is a feat that make peeps not doog good if they are not attack me or something like that.

frost890
2015-10-02, 11:20 PM
Well I am going to be heavy with Charisma BUT I do nto want to be a party face, thought I may have to grudgingly do so ( wich would be great for the RP)

Im going to self buffs and focusing on the whole, well to put it MMORPG style Protection paladin.

I do not want to do a lot of damage, well burst damage more accurately. but I want to be the rock that they (the enemy) has to smash through to get to my teammates.

To the first paragraph. Clerics and favored souls are naturals at people skills. So that is on how you play the character.

second paragraph. Heighten, Empower and extend spells are great for buffs.

Third. to be honest it sounds more like you want to play a Crusader from TOB/Cleric combo to me..

ngilop
2015-10-02, 11:43 PM
To the first paragraph. Clerics and favored souls are naturals at people skills. So that is on how you play the character.

second paragraph. Heighten, Empower and extend spells are great for buffs.

Third. to be honest it sounds more like you want to play a Crusader from TOB/Cleric combo to me..

No, I want help with feats and items NOT my classes.

I do not really care for ToB ( mostly cuz it did not do enough and basically said 'EFF YOU fighter/rogue/paladin/ranger)and I abhor the crusader mechanic. derp time for random stuffs!!! no, I know being have a ToB fascination on these forusm and that's Ok, It a decent book t it tried to fix 'mundane' by effing over the original mundanes.

but the stuffs is decent and are the only things I know of that allows one to be like 'hit me or face the cinsequences'

I get like what 20 feats total ( when you include such as weapon focus for the favored soul)

and then the massive amount of gold that I am just so terrible at spending with high level characters.

that's what I really need help with, feats and magical item not class suggesttions so much as this feat at this level and take this magic item.

OldTrees1
2015-10-03, 12:04 AM
No, I want help with feats and items NOT my classes.

I get like what 20 feats total ( when you include such as weapon focus for the favored soul)

and then the massive amount of gold that I am just so terrible at spending with high level characters.

that's what I really need help with, feats and magical item not class suggesttions so much as this feat at this level and take this magic item.

You get 2 feats at 1, 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18

Question 1: How many of these feats are going to be spent on which areas? How many on nonToB martial combat? How many on Divine spellcasting? How many on Social skills/Social abilities?

Question 2: You want to not eclipse the Martials in their own field, so it would help if you could give me an estimate of how well they will be doing.

Knockback(requires: Power Attack and Improved Bullrush) is a nice feat if you can qualify.
Combat Reflexes + Evasive Reflexes + Karmic Strike(requires: Dodge and Combat Expertise) is rather nice.
Both Three Mountains and Dire Flail Smash are nice feats but have a long feat chain(you have the feats).
Knock-down(requires: Improved Trip) should be mentioned too.

As for wealth/items here is a list for a Fighter(it is still mostly relevant):

Phoenix Cloak(MiC, 50Kgp)(Fly Perfect at land speed)
Third Eye Conceal(Mic, 120Kgp)(Mind Blank)
Banner of the Storm's Eye(MiC, 15Kgp)(Stun and Fear immunity aura)
Hathran Mask of True Seeing(UE, 75Kgp)(True Seeing)
Minor Cloak of Displacement(DMG, 24Kgp)(20% Miss Chance)
Ring of Blinking(DMG, 27K)(Blinking at will)
Dimension Stride Boots(MiC, 2Kgp)(Teleport 20ft 5/day)
Soulfire(BoED, +4Armor/25Kgp Bracers)(Immunity to Death Effects, Energy Drain, and Negative Levels)
Ring of Freedom of Movement(DMG, 40Kgp)(Freedom of Movement)
Dispelling + Greater Dispelling(MiC, +2Weapon/18Kgp Backup weapon)(3/day cl 5 targeted Dispel Magic, 3/day cl 10 targeted Dispel Magic)
Blindsighted(Und, +30Kgp weapon)(Blindsight 30ft)
Raptor's Mask(MiC, 3.5Kgp)(Immunity to Blindness)
Tooth of Leraje (ToM, 21.6Kgp)(1/day Greater Magic Weapon +5)
Cloak of Resistance +5 (DMG, 25Kgp)
534,850gp spent so far(under 19th level WBL)
+Ability Boosts
+Primary Weapon(would include some way of bypassing DR/magic, DR/damage type, DR/material, and DR/alignment, that might be the +2 Transmuting ability or Hank's Energy Bow)
+Primary Armor

That should be a reasonable list for a 19th-20th level Fighter or Rogue that would be able to participate in 19th-20th level encounters as part of a party.
Pre perma flight, gear would also include ways to ignore movement slowing terrain(there are 2-3 cheap boots from MiC that one combines for that) as well as a temporary flight item(at 6th+).

bean illus
2015-10-03, 10:12 AM
]Because when I do this, literally everytime I ask for character help. the vast majority of GITP-ers 'advice; is 'youre dumb' 'play a wizard' 'or insert ToB class that I said I did not want to be'
[/B]

basically what I really need help with is the feat selection ( since I have so so many feats) and what Items I should be getting

It just gets frustrating when I get insulted over and over again on these forums by people who deliberately just say what they want and completely ignore my guidelines-if you will-. I ask if there is a PrC that does X for a rogue and people even though it was mentioned X books are not allowed, proceed to tel lme to use class from said book and then next post they put how im dumb for taking Endurance even though that feat fills out my backstory on how I was able to survive for long long staying ahead of the dire wolf pack and half-starved.

Sorry if I came across condescending, Im trying to work out bad habits such as getting mad at people for insulting me on forums and then throwing such emotions back at others some of whom are innocent.

What I mean by effective an not overpowered is. well of course NO Tippy style crazy shenanigans. I do nto want inifite loops or anything close to Pun-Pun. I basically want an oracle who is melee capable AND I do notmean totally replaces all melee, but one who can hold his own. mostly because of his defensive spells and abilities/feats.

But don't go to the extreme opposite side of the spectrum, be a jerk to me, and then tell me to pick up acrobatic for all my feats like some have suggested before.

What would you do at your table and how would you make a melee Favored Soul who is mostly a shield wall rather than a shock trooper.

I am not saying that making my character stronger is going to offend but pay attention to what I want to play and that I do not want to be a one man army capable of taking on a balor at level 4.

IF tippy is a 10 and WOTC is a 1. try to a 5 or 6.

I want a competent character not a 'why do I need the rest of my party character'

ngilop I have sometimes felt that way on DnD internet forums. You don't sound condescending to me, you sound frustrated and per-emptively defensive. I also am trying to learn how to not be frustrated with folks who are innocent after i get irritated by a previous situation. Good luck with that.

Unfortunately, i don't think i can help with your build. It seems out of my league. Perhaps if i try i might suggest:
Pick a few things you want/need to do; then make it happen with as few feats as possible. Then see if you can get those things done, and if you have any feats left for refinement.

FOR EXAMPLE:
If you want to make folks stop and since you will be getting extra feats and ability boost, perhaps some mundane battlefield control, like tripping. Then you might want to explore action economy (which tripping certainly qualifies). Also, there might be feats that help your buffs, like empower, etc.

Tripping: Combat expertise, Improved Trip, Exotic Weapon, Stand Still. 4 feats
Action Economy: A feat to increase your move speed, and something to reduce your spell casting time? 2 feats
Buffing Feats: Heighten Spell, Extend, Empower, DMM (extend), DMM (empower) 5 feats

TOTAL 11 FEATS USED
This is just an example, But maybe the layout type of approach might help you, and help us help you.:smallsmile:

smcmike
2015-10-03, 10:32 AM
Yeah, I can't help with the build, but I can offer some sympathy. It IS sometimes hard to get advice about builds that aren't crazy powerful. Your approach was a bit off-putting though.

I'd suggest start by laying out what is set in stone in your build, adding what you want to accomplish, and asking specific questions.

Andreaz
2015-10-03, 10:45 AM

Dude, you are destroying yourself right there.
You are mad. Someone irritated you on another thread... That sucks, but it's not our problem. If you dump that us, it's only obvious someone will get snippy.

You want help, don't act like that to those that can help.

Now, to the build.
What is "functional" for you ?

Also, what do you expect people can give you on top of such rigid build? It's pretty much complete.

jiriku
2015-10-03, 10:59 AM
You want to be a more attractive target than your allies, despite having worse offense and better defense than they do. This is a difficult goal. I recommend feats that provide spatial control and restrict movement (Improved Trip, Knockdown, Stand Still, Large and in Charge, Martial Stance: Thicket of Blades). There are also some Setting Sun martial maneuvers that provide the ability to reposition opponents; I am a particular fan of Martial Study: Comet Throw, because it is reliable, damages two enemies at once, and can potentially knock them both prone. For burst damage Martial Study into Divine Surge or Elder Mountain Hammer are decent choices.

DMVerdandi
2015-10-03, 11:05 AM
You came out all wrong OP.
If you are asking something from us, the best way to do it is without calling everyone out before you are done.

You could have said "so here's my build. *post build* What are the best items and feats for it. PS, the build is finally locked in."
Three clear sentences.

Secondly, most people don't give T.O advice for normal games. As much as you might get irritated with people who over-optimize, the worst is someone who comes in with a chip on their shoulders, acting like they can be rude off the cuff, and that the rest of the posters are some sort of work-horses or geek squad for doing just what you want.
We do this because we like it, not because we owe you anything.:smallannoyed:

Now,
FEAT ALLOCATION:

1+bonus
Skill focus[Knowledge:Religion] and True Believer

Required for prestige classes

Extend spell.
Needed for DMM:Persist
Just a good feat in itself though.
Whenever you decide to cast an extended spell, cast it before you even leave your campground,

Persistent spell
Useless for now, but again necessary for DMM:persist

Divine Metamagic:Persist
Finally you get to use it.
Right now, if you have 20 CHA, you should have the ability to use it one time [3+5= 8. dmm persist takes 6 turning attempts]

Extra turning

Extra turning

Extra turning
By the end of this, you get 12 extra turning attempts, which means you can persist 3 spells a day(with a 22+charisma score).

ITEMS:

You should probably have
1. A storage item (Bag of holding or handy haversack)

2. Ring of sustenance

3.Cloak of charisma

4.tome of leadership and influence

5. Metamagic rod of extend.

6.Weapon

Now that such is out of the way, I AM going to say this. Your build IS sub-optimal. Just from a logical standpoint.

Pious templar is essentially paladin the prestige class[but without the good features]. You get paladin spells at an accelerated rate, 2 bonus fighter feats(Which I forgot to add to feats. Probably improved initiative and power attack), and accelerated smite (and smiting stinks btw. STINKS.)

I guess I get wanting to have more paladin faster, but really, it makes 0 sense to take 5 paladin levels to do that.
Take 2 (because let's be real, paladin is a 2 level class), one level of fighter[for weapon focus], and go straight into Pious templar.
Now, if those paladin class features are just to die for, you can have it.

Secondly, Favored soul.
That's all.
Is it that you want charisma instead of wisdom[why]? Or spontaneous casting[again why].
Because you really could have done that in other ways that wouldn't have made you be a favored soul.

Spontaneous cleric, or even better, spell point cleric for spontaneous casting.

For Charisma instead of wisdom, Lost tradition [3rd party, but if you don't have enough charisma to convince your DM to let you have it, roleplaying a high charisma character is gonna fall flat,bruh]

Thirdly, If you are going to use DMM:persist, you have to at LEAST, get two turn undeads.
It could have simply been using cleric instead of favored soul, with paladin, and you would have automatically had twice the amount of turn attempts.
Using serenity with the paladin would have made turn undead and divine grace wisdom based as well.
Then you don't have to be MAD.

Now instead of 3, you can have 6 spells persisted.

Rant over.
You got your items and your feats.

Demidos
2015-10-03, 11:11 AM
The previous list of items for the fighter is pretty good, but also consider --
Cloak of Shadows (6k, Dotu) for some immediate action teleports to survive targeted attacks.
Talisman of the Disk (500 gp) for unlimited Tenser's disks (still useful at 15/19th! Funnest item, hands down.)
+5 Saves item, boring but usually invaluable if you don't commonly cast superior resistance.
Consider various Rods of Metamagic

For Feats --
DMM is going to eat up alot. Consider Echoing to bounce back some of your healing spells. Extra turning * remaining slots.

Palanan
2015-10-03, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by jiriku
...Large and in Charge....

Is this available for an ordinary human? That was the race the OP specified.

jiriku
2015-10-03, 11:29 AM
Is this available for an ordinary human? That was the race the OP specified.

All feats are obtainable by any character with sufficient shenanigans. If the OP decides he wants it, I'm sure he can find a way.

ILM
2015-10-03, 12:55 PM
The Goad feat from Complete Adventurer would fit thematically, but it's terribly low-powered. There are better options but they require class levels.

ngilop
2015-10-04, 12:10 AM
1) I am going to be using 3 feats for meta magic-ness. 5 or 6 feats for combat stuff, and 5 or 6 feats for other such to fill in holes or fulfill requisites.

Three mountains sounds col, but I definite want a polearm as my main weapon, was thinking of a halberd originally, BUT that don't do bludgeoning damage.. does D&D have a lucerne hammer? its literally a halberd with a hammer instead of a axe head so I could prob finagle the DM into that.

I am thinking in terms of spending feats 3 for the whole DMM persist chain.

5 or 6 for combat related ( like knock down and such)

and 5 or 6 for other stuffs like pre reqs.

I was thinking that the paladin alternate class feature divine spirit was a longer than 1 round/level duration that's whay I went to paladin 5. that's wrong so no point in that or even going past pious Templar 8.

I went with favored soul to get all good saves going cleric while it does give me more turn undead makes me hav crap for reflex.

so I guess the new class build will be

Paladin 4/pious Templar 8/saint 2/ X 1<>Favored soul 5/Divine oracle 10 for 15th level

and Paladin 4/pious Templar 8/saint 2/ X5<>Favored soul 9/Divine oracle 10 for 19th level.

Hell, i'll even be ready to do some ToB crusader bull to get the thicket of blades and comet throw and a couple other maneuvers on my paladin side.

I can switch out favored soul with cleric if there is a Cha based cleric thingy or you explain where serenity is from I what is it a feat, alternate, class feature, or what here?

the other melee I a barbarian<>totemist who is focusing on natural attacks and not so much armor. so im basically the opposite of them in that regards.

OldTrees1
2015-10-04, 12:30 AM
1) I am going to be using 3 feats for meta magic-ness. 5 or 6 feats for combat stuff, and 5 or 6 feats for other such to fill in holes or fulfill requisites.

the other melee I a barbarian<>totemist who is focusing on natural attacks and not so much armor. so im basically the opposite of them in that regards.

Dragon Compendium has a Luceren Hammer(pg 111):
12gp, 2d4, 20/x4, Bludgeoning or Piercing, 10lbs, Reach

Since the other melee seems to be damage/pouncing focused, you should probably focus on the lockdown style. 5-6 Combat feats: Combat Reflexes, Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Knock-down, Stand Still

DMVerdandi
2015-10-04, 01:07 AM

Three mountains sounds col, but I definite want a polearm as my main weapon, was thinking of a halberd originally, BUT that don't do bludgeoning damage.. does D&D have a lucerne hammer? its literally a halberd with a hammer instead of a axe head so I could prob finagle the DM into that.

I am thinking in terms of spending feats 3 for the whole DMM persist chain.

5 or 6 for combat related ( like knock down and such)

and 5 or 6 for other stuffs like pre reqs.

Where are you getting all these feats? You only have access to 10[Minus 2 for pre-reqs/Minus 3 for DMM:Persist]. Two fighter feats, and three general feats remain.

I
was thinking that the paladin alternate class feature divine spirit was a longer than 1 round/level duration that's whay I went to paladin 5. that's wrong so no point in that or even going past pious Templar 8.

I went with favored soul to get all good saves going cleric while it does give me more turn undead makes me hav crap for reflex.
If you aren't aware, Clerics get Resistance[Greater and superior for +3 & +6 to all saves for 24 hours]
And Spell Resistance[Gives you SR 12+Caster Level].

Clerics have the best saves in the game with that.

so I guess the new class build will be

Paladin 4/pious Templar 8/saint 2/ X 1<>Favored soul 5/Divine oracle 10 for 15th level

and Paladin 4/pious Templar 8/saint 2/ X5<>Favored soul 9/Divine oracle 10 for 19th level.

Hell, i'll even be ready to do some ToB crusader bull to get the thicket of blades and comet throw and a couple other maneuvers on my paladin side.
Still don't understand how you are able to afford TOB stuff, unless you use all five of your remaining feats to do so (Which I guess is pretty viable)

I can switch out favored soul with cleric if there is a Cha based cleric thingy or you explain where serenity is from I what is it a feat, alternate, class feature, or what here?
Serenity is a feat from Dragon compendium.
It lets you use wisdom instead of charisma for the use of divine grace, turn undead, smite evil, and lay on hands.

Thus, you can get other feats like zen archery, or Intuitive attack and pump your wisdom really high so that you can use it for attacks. Also you can get a monk's robe and get AC to wisdom.

Barbarian//Totemist is cool.

Andreaz
2015-10-04, 08:43 AM
You sure you don't want to use pathfinder's paladin instead? It got immensely buffed, which puts it solidly at "mostly okay" levels of power. Namely it keys off completely on charisma instead of cha+wis and smite doesn't suck.

2015-10-04, 09:38 AM
It a decent book t it tried to fix 'mundane' by effing over the original mundanes.

I feel a need to comment on this: however you may feel about ToB itself, it's not what screwed over mundanes. Wizards did that when they built Mundanes to suck originally. Fighter and Monk (and to a lesser extent Rogue) were terrible right out of the gate, and the Cleric, Wizard, and Druid made that obvious even in Core. ToB introduced mundane options that don't totally suck. While this makes the Core mundanes look worse by comparison, ToB is not the reason standard mundanes suck; it highlights the problems mundanes face, but it didn't create those problems.

OldTrees1
2015-10-04, 11:04 AM
Where are you getting all these feats? You only have access to 10[Minus 2 for pre-reqs/Minus 3 for DMM:Persist]. Two fighter feats, and three general feats remain.

Q: Where is he getting all these feats?
A: By reading the opening post.

Always read the "Character Creation Rules" before giving advice on a character.

DMVerdandi
2015-10-04, 07:12 PM
Q: Where is he getting all these feats?
A: By reading the opening post.

Always read the "Character Creation Rules" before giving advice on a character.

your win:smallredface:

ngilop
2015-10-07, 06:21 PM
There has to be a way to get three mountains to work with a halberd..right? what is that weapon enchant called..aptitude weapon?

that lets you apply a feat for one particular weapon to another?

also here is my backstory.. lemme know what you think.

All His life, Justinian dreamed of being a hero like the ones in the stories.
When he was a young boy, his father would return from his travels with many incredible tales and songs that he had heard or written; mighty warriors triumphing over evil and earning the praise of all who heard of them. His two older siblings wanted to become bards like his father, to meet these heroes and sing songs of their deeds, but Justinian never understood why they would settle for witnessing the greatness of others; when they could perfrom the great heroic deeds theirselves. While they studied their instruments, He went outside, pretending garden tools were weapons, and fought great battles in his imagination.
As Justinian grew older and his father's journeys kept him away for increasingly long periods, Justinian spent more and more of his time watching the local guards practice and keeping the blacksmith company, admiring his handiwork. Some of these men saw his potential and began to teach me, informally at first, but soon he was joining their training sessions and became the blacksmith's apprentice as well. Justinian would only return home to sleep and eat, unless my father was home; Justinian would neglect his responsibilities to listen to every story he would tell him and dream of having songs sung of his own deeds someday.
One day, word came that a small army regiment was making their way through his land and would be passing through his town in a few day’s time. The town was frightened and the guards promised to protect them, but everyone all knew there were not enough of them to do any good. When the army came, they were not as expected. In the forefront were a handful of warrior on magnificent steeds with white plumes in their helmets and a strange emblem emblazoned upon their breasts. As Justinian stood there enraptured in his admiration, one of the knights saw something in the young lad’s eyes and offered Hand. Soon enough, He left home and began my training as a paladin, the mightiest and most righteous of all heroes. Before he had never cared much for religion, but He found a god who saw that His devotion to helping others was true and accepted Justinian to be one of his warriors.
After a few years of apprenticeship, Justinian was given a chance to join the Phoenix order, the same order those first knights so many years ago he had lain witness to. Justinian spent the next few years doing what paladins do, upholding justice, defending the weak, et cetera. One night in the midst of his order’s beseigement. He was given a dream by his deity to find the long lost relic of their order. A cloak said to have been made with the feathers of a phoenix. His asked the elders and the leader of the order, the response he got was to seek the cloak, for the divine dream must not be forsaken. He left managing to make his way out of the keep, through the fiendish encampment and out into the wilds. He indeed did find the cloak, a mighty relic indeed. He raced to return to his order’s Keep, and arrived, cresting the nearby wooded hills, just as the walls were finally breached. He sank to his knees and cried, fully believing that if he had been there, the walls, nor the order would have fallen. For fallen indeed they were, as he was the last.

So when the word came out from the king, Justinian answered the call earnestly. Hoping to redeem himself for what he sees as the fall for his order.

Andreaz
2015-10-08, 05:02 AM
Seems fine. As a DM I can twist it in so many little ways, to both make it mean something more special and to make it corrupt...