PDA

View Full Version : Possible to remove huge frame?

DreadArchon
2007-05-19, 08:48 PM
The "News, Comics, Stories, Gaming, Forum, Shop" frame to the left of the forums is huge. In the interest of reducing scrollage by 25%, is there any way I can get the forums to display without the frame?

Emperor Tippy
2007-05-19, 08:50 PM
what browser are you running?

DreadArchon
2007-05-19, 08:51 PM
Opera 9.something

Emperor Tippy
2007-05-19, 08:52 PM
Not sure then. I haven't ever used or bothered to learn about Opera. With Firefox you could code a greasemonkey script to do it fairly easily.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-19, 09:03 PM
Well, it's not exactly a frame, but a table cell.

And since it has a fixed pixel width, a more relevant issue is your monitor resolution rather than your browser.

This site is not friendly to anyone with less than 1024 pixel width monitor resolution. That's the max resolution on my monitor, and I have to keep my browser maximized. If your one of the unlucky few that are stuck with an 800 pixel wide or smaller monitor, there's really nothing you can do.

Of course, it's possible your monitor is capable of displaying a higher resolution. In that case, go into your monitor preferences (can't get more specific than that, since I don't know what OS you run), and see what resolutions are available.

adanedhel9
2007-05-19, 10:42 PM
A quick Opera hack: Hold CTRL and scroll down on your mouse wheel. This will zoom the whole page out.

A slightly more intersting Opera hack: View, Style, Disable Tables. The forums look really odd this way, but it does move the navigation bar to the top of the page instead of the side.

There's probably a way to do it with a user CSS sheet, but I haven't played with that. You'd probably write a CSS sheet that caused those table cells to be smaller (assuming you can uniquely identify those cells, which might not be possible, depending on how the site's written. If you can't uniquely identify those cells, you'd probably make the site look really goofy), then select that sheet with going to Tools, Quck Preferences, Edit Site Preferences, Display, and entering the stylesheet under "My User Stylesheet".

Nerd-o-rama
2007-05-20, 01:25 AM
Use 1024x768 resolution. Problem solved, unless you're in a thread with very large images causing sidescroll.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-20, 06:17 AM
...assuming you can uniquely identify those cells, which might not be possible, depending on how the site's written.
You can't. I checked the source. That particular cell is has no name or id.

Yeah, if you use Opera to zoom out on the page, you may have to play with the text size to keep the text legible.

DreadArchon
2007-05-20, 02:08 PM
Yeah, if you use Opera to zoom out on the page, you may have to play with the text size to keep the text legible.
Still, the Ctrl-Scroll thing seems to be the most effective method so far.