PDA

View Full Version : Optimization What scales with spell level?

Jormengand
2015-10-03, 07:29 PM
Apart from the obvious, there are a few things which scale with spell level, such as Improved Counterspell, Bracers of the Blast Barrier and Bracers of the Entangling Blast. What else scales with spell level?

Necroticplague
2015-10-03, 07:50 PM
DC to resist the spell, if applicable.

Jormengand
2015-10-03, 07:53 PM
DC to resist the spell, if applicable.

I was counting that as "The obvious". I mean, are there any other items, feats, class features, etc. that scale with the level of the spell? Rod of Absorption is another one.

Troacctid
2015-10-03, 08:06 PM
Is this for another truenaming trick? Should we only look for stuff that works with spell-like abilities?

Jormengand
2015-10-03, 08:08 PM
Is this for another truenaming trick? Should we only look for stuff that works with spell-like abilities?

Okay, fine, you got me. :smalltongue:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-10-03, 09:01 PM
Reducing the spell's effective level (such as with Sanctum Spell) can be beneficial when applying effects that have a spell-level-limit, such as (lesser) metamagic rods and spell storing weapons.

Increasing the spell's level scales with metamagic feats with a per-spell-level effect, such as Flash Frost Spell in PH2, Black Lore of Moil in CA, etc.

Bakkan
2015-10-03, 10:19 PM
The effects of reserve feats scale with spell level.

Troacctid
2015-10-03, 10:30 PM
Okay, fine, you got me. :smalltongue:

Slashing Dispel (PH2) and Voracious Dispelling (CAr) deal damage based on the spell level of the effect they dispel. If you can meet an arbitrarily high truespeak DC, use a quickened utterance of arbitrarily high level on your target and then dispel it (automatically succeeding against your own spell) to deal an arbitrarily large amount of untyped damage.