PDA

View Full Version : Using higher level slots, or why spellcasters would multiclass?

Dimolyth
2015-10-04, 06:32 AM
That is not a thread about multiclassing for full casters. That is a thread that was born "because of" multiclassing for full casters.
And also that is about wonderfull 5e spellcasting feature - to increase the spell, you could use just a slot of higher level.

So back to the topic: what spells have you used at higher level slots? Using higher level slot can also change nature of using the spell.

My first vote will be Bestrow Curse. Use 5th level version to set up disadvantage on Wis saves. Then use 3rd level version - to set up "each turn target takes no action, unless he make Wis save". It saved my day while we were attacking Church of Cyric - with 4 BBEG in one encounter - so turning "off" one of them turned our loose to victory.

So, Playgrounders, have you had an expirience for that kind of spell slot using? With what spells?

NNescio
2015-10-04, 06:57 AM
That is not a thread about multiclassing for full casters. That is a thread that was born "because of" multiclassing for full casters.
And also that is about wonderfull 5e spellcasting feature - to increase the spell, you could use just a slot of higher level.

So back to the topic: what spells have you used at higher level slots? Using higher level slot can also change nature of using the spell.

My first vote will be Bestrow Curse. Use 5th level version to set up disadvantage on Wis saves. Then use 3rd level version - to set up "each turn target takes no action, unless he make Wis save". It saved my day while we were attacking Church of Cyric - with 4 BBEG in one encounter - so turning "off" one of them turned our loose to victory.

Just use Contagion then. Or Banishment, Polymorph, et al. At least with the latter two you don't even need to touch your target.

So, Playgrounders, have you had an expirience for that kind of spell slot using? With what spells?

Major Image from a 6th level spell slot. One semi-permanent (until dispelled) illusion that you can move. Works better on an Illusionist chassis, since they can alter the illusion later on, or make it real at Level 14.

Conjure X spells. Using higher level spell slots allows the caster to summon more creatures, or creatures with higher CR, depending on the spell. This replaces the tiered Summon X I~IX spells from previous editions.

Dispel Magic and Counterspell. Burning higher level spell slots guarantees dispelling/counterspelling of higher level spells. Generally not an efficient use of resources (since lower level spell slots still have a chance of dispelling/counterspelling higher-level spells), but sometimes necessary. Completely unnecessary for a charisma-based caster with Glibness on though.

JellyPooga
2015-10-05, 06:27 AM
Completely unnecessary for a charisma-based caster with Glibness on though.

I'd never noticed that before.

Add another one to the list of reasons I hate Glibness in 5ed :smallsigh:

DireSickFish
2015-10-05, 07:43 AM
We had a player who would start the first round hasting himself. Then on rounds after he'd cast inflict wounds out of a high level slot, use the haste action to make an attack and smite on that attack if he hit. He had a lot of cross classing shenanagins going on so had a lot of spell slots but only low level spells.