PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [Pathfinder] Simple Cleric build for beginner using Core Rules only)

Squeak
2015-10-04, 06:57 AM
I am due to play in a low (probably 1st) level Pathfinder game soon and would like to use a Cleric character. There is an awful lot of material there for Pathfinder available, so I was hoping someone could suggest a straightforward Cleric build that has decent offensive (be it melee/ranged/magic - I am not too fussy, although melee would be slightly preferred) capabilities using the Core Rules only.

It will be be point buy (probably 20) so advice as to what stats can be changed with more/less points might be useful. Also I came across this guide and was wondering if people thought it was a decent one to follow:

https://sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/extras/community-creations/cartmanbeck-s-lab/fun-character-builds-natural-twenties/how-to-play-a-cleric-and-not-hate-it-natural-twenties-5

Thanks in advance!

Psyren
2015-10-04, 06:42 PM
That guide assumes that you'll channel negative energy, which requires neutral or evil alignment, so definitely make sure that fits your concept first.

Beyond that, you have to decide whether you want to primarily be a controller/blaster cleric, or a buff/gish cleric, and for both decide how much healing you want to do. That will inform your other choices, e.g. race, stats, feats, and domains.

SlaadLord
2015-10-04, 08:11 PM
Sounds like a job for the Reach Cleric.

Squeak
2015-10-05, 06:05 AM
That guide assumes that you'll channel negative energy, which requires neutral or evil alignment, so definitely make sure that fits your concept first.

Beyond that, you have to decide whether you want to primarily be a controller/blaster cleric, or a buff/gish cleric, and for both decide how much healing you want to do. That will inform your other choices, e.g. race, stats, feats, and domains.

It is probably only going to be a one-off and I doubt we will get more than a level or two, so I am quite flexible so long as my character isn't a pure healbot.

Sounds like a job for the Reach Cleric.

Thanks for the suggestion. I take it you are referring to this build:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5kvBvq2DEHjRWctNG05X0JINm8/edit?pli=1

Kurald Galain
2015-10-05, 06:47 AM
A straightforward trick for a core cleric is to wield a reach weapon and take combat reflexes. Then you spend your turn casting or channeling, and you spend everybody else's turns making opportunity attacks. You can also trip or disarm enemies this way; if they're at reach then they generally won't be able to take an OA on you.

Yes, you won't be as accurate as a primary melee character, but that's ok since you're doing this in addition to your spellcasting.

(edit) Ninja'ed. By a cleric, no less :smallbiggrin:

(edit edit) but instead of Power Attack I recommend Agile Maneuvers and focusing on dex. You don't really want a BAB-reducing feat on a partial-BAB class anyway.

Sudain
2015-10-05, 05:15 PM
I am due to play in a low (probably 1st) level Pathfinder game soon and would like to use a Cleric character. There is an awful lot of material there for Pathfinder available, so I was hoping someone could suggest a straightforward Cleric build that has decent offensive (be it melee/ranged/magic - I am not too fussy, although melee would be slightly preferred) capabilities using the Core Rules only.

It will be be point buy (probably 20) so advice as to what stats can be changed with more/less points might be useful. Also I came across this guide and was wondering if people thought it was a decent one to follow:

https://sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/extras/community-creations/cartmanbeck-s-lab/fun-character-builds-natural-twenties/how-to-play-a-cleric-and-not-hate-it-natural-twenties-5

Thanks in advance!

Look into divination spells. You'll be amazed at how far a little divination goes to saving the party a lot of pain. Said as a DM who's cleric regularly divines and communes on the dangers he's about to walk into.

Squeak
2015-10-14, 01:18 PM
Thank you all for your advice - because of you my Reach Cleric is now a reality! (Admittedly in a Fantasy World in a Fantasy Ground but you get the idea......)