PDA

View Full Version : How could a wizard make himself useful in close combat?

Likantropos
2015-10-04, 08:32 AM
So, in a party of a Rogue (AT), a Monk (hand), a Cleric of Light and an Archer-ranger, I'm playing a wizard with a cleric dip. Currently (level 3) I have the highest AC and second-highest HP in the party (+2 CON and some lucky rolls). So, I see no reason not to wade into close combat. The thing is, I also don't see any reason to. Stabbing mooks with a dagger won't stay viable for too long, between warcaster and resilient, combat feats won't come into play soon, and Mirror image, Blink and Shield look too tempting to not abuse them. The question is:

There's a wizard, who is pretty difficult to remove. How can he make himself dangerous in close combat? I mean, more dangerous than the usual "stay in the back rank" wizard.

Nowhere Girl
2015-10-04, 08:36 AM
So, in a party of a Rogue (AT), a Monk (hand), a Cleric of Light and an Archer-ranger, I'm playing a wizard with a cleric dip. Currently (level 3) I have the highest AC and second-highest HP in the party (+2 CON and some lucky rolls). So, I see no reason not to wade into close combat. The thing is, I also don't see any reason to. Stabbing mooks with a dagger won't stay viable for too long, between warcaster and resilient, combat feats won't come into play soon, and Mirror image, Blink and Shield look too tempting to not abuse them. The question is:

There's a wizard, who is pretty difficult to remove. How can he make himself dangerous in close combat? I mean, more dangerous than the usual "stay in the back rank" wizard.

Vampiric Touch?

Maybe go either conjuration or evocation (the former for more tankiness, the latter for the ability to apply Overchannel to, well ... Vampiric Touch).

Hawkstar
2015-10-04, 08:41 AM
Simple.

"THIS HAND OF MINE GLOWS WITH AN AWESOME POWER!!"

Kabooki
2015-10-04, 08:49 AM
If you have any weapon proficiencies from your race, use them. No one said a wizard can't swing a sword. I don't know what domain you picked for cleric, but this could be beneficial to you in melee as well. Grabbing War Caster at level 4 will greatly aid you as well. Another dip sounds terrible, but a rogue 2 would allow you to disengage easier when things do get rough. It would gain you a little more damage if you can work with the monk. Good luck on the concept.

DemonSlayer6
2015-10-04, 08:57 AM
Being a Cleric should grant you some weapon proficiencies so you aren't only using a dagger.

Also, note that several spells are "self" and "touch" ranged. So wading into combat and casting a spell is fully viable in 5e. (Unlike in 3.5 and Pathfinder, casting a spell in combat doesn't grant enemies an opportunity attack against you).

Hell, an Evocation Wizard could center a "Shatter" or "Sleep" on themselves sculpted around their person if things get too hectic.

Likantropos
2015-10-04, 09:03 AM
Vampiric Touch?
I'd better be concentrating on Max's hand or Fire Sphere, thank you.

No one said a wizard can't swing a sword.
He can, but it's still one attack with no extra bonuses. It won't remain relevant for long.

Let's try to approach the question from another angle:
Is there anything in the wizards spell list that you would think of "That is so awesome, but short/melee range makes it a bad choice"?

Nowhere Girl
2015-10-04, 09:23 AM
Sorry, I still like Vampiric Touch. Self-healing while still dealing damage does a lot to answer the question, "How are you not getting killed in melee, you squishy wizard you?"

Likantropos
2015-10-04, 09:49 AM
But not dying is not the problem here. Doing something meaningful and only possible from close range is.

Nowhere Girl
2015-10-04, 10:32 AM
But not dying is not the problem here. Doing something meaningful and only possible from close range is.

Well, Warcaster lets you substitute a spell for an OA. Maybe try to exploit that somehow?

I don't know. It's like you're insisting that people tell you the best way to shove a square block into a round hole. But maybe Warcaster somehow ...

Nifft
2015-10-04, 10:41 AM
Burning Hands?

Color Spray?

They weren't great in 3.x but in 5e they might be reasonable.

Belac93
2015-10-04, 10:45 AM
The sword coast adventurers guide is coming out Nov 3, and guessing from the table of contents, there's going to be a bladesinger arcane tradition. But I guess that's more of a gish option.

Asmotherion
2015-10-04, 10:50 AM

He can, but it's still one attack with no extra bonuses. It won't remain relevant for long.

Is there anything in the wizards spell list that you would think of "That is so awesome, but short/melee range makes it a bad choice"?

Vampiric Touch: You regain HP, and cast it only once/battle
Shoking Grasp: Does a nice amount of dmg, ban's reactions
Thunderclap: If surounded by enemies, it's good to have a melee AOE at will.
Fire Shield: If you're in melee, it means you're going to get hit. Why not punish them for hitting you as well?
Thunderwave: With polearm master, you hit, push away, and then, when he gets back in melee, you have an oportunity attack. Then, you can go for the combo again.
Plane Shift: Banish the enemy... You'll have to wait to use it though...

Other than that, if you want a Melee Caster, you probably should be looking at the Eldrich Knight or Blade Pact Warlock.

Silavor
2015-10-04, 10:57 AM
The cantrips Poison Spray and Shocking Grasp become a lot more useful as reliable damage sources if you are capable of getting into touch range regularly. You don't have the spell slots to be constantly spamming damage spells anyway, so the majority of your damage over time will come from cantrips or weapon attacks.

How does your strength compare to your intelligence? If you have low strength then there's no point in fighting with normal weapons or using Alter Self to gain magical natural weapons, and you are better off sticking with highly damaging cantrips.

Edit: and Vampiric Touch, of course, once you gain 3rd level spells. If you can make your concentration saves then you only have to spend one spell slot for the entire fight.

Inevitability
2015-10-04, 11:15 AM
How come no one has mentioned Greenflame Blade yet? You're a cleric, you should at least be able to effectively swing a mace or stab people with a dagger, and if you have the war/tempest/death domain you can improve that to a rapier.

Phawksin
2015-10-04, 03:54 PM
I played a very valuable and extremely fun abjuration wizard in a Lost Mines game a few months back. I took a shield to rack up some sweet AC's with medium armor (don't waste a slot on Mage Armor) and primarily used shocking grasp. If I hit I would make a point to move out of range to take advantage of no reactions basically just for fun, but it worked as a pretty good taunt. With that you can also make sure you consistently stay next to your rogue (assuming they ever get into melee) for them to rack up some SA damage. Poison Spray and Thunderclap (Elemental Evil) are also excellent at close range if you are against multiple targets with Burning Hands and Thunderwave doing the same thing only with resource expenditure. Also, if you have a Cleric dip then don't undervalue second level Inflict or Cure. I think the bottom line is you are never going to be dealing Barbarian consistent damage, but you can shake things up and provide some nice utility to the other melee guys more efficiently than you can from the back line. I hope you have as much fun with it as I did!

McNinja
2015-10-04, 07:14 PM
But not dying is not the problem here. Doing something meaningful and only possible from close range is.Greenflame Blade. Now you are super useful in close combat!

Blood of Gaea
2015-10-05, 04:33 PM
Well my first reaction is to suggest the ranger swap to something else, either melee, or a different class.

Barring that, I'm going to assume you picked Abjuration at level two. That will help you with tanking.

When a encounter starts, your very first action should be some form of crowd control, here's good ways to use level one spells for it.

Fog Cloud (on archers or casters in their back lines)
Grease (Cast it at a choke point then stand just outside it to make them stand in it to fight you.)
Silent Image (Use it when the other two wont work, create a wall or pit they wont want to cross)

After that, make sure to save your slots for casting shield, that will also give you some temporary HP.

When you are fighting, if they are in metal armor, use shocking grasp, otherwise stick with whatever weapon you have.

Another option, Reroll your character and build for a 12 Eldritch Knight/8 Abjuration Wizard, which I think would be very close to what you are asking for. I'd recommend going 6 levels of EK, then 8 levels of AW, then finish off EK. Also pick up War Caster with either Human Variant or your first or second ASI.

This gives you Extra Attack (2), adv. on Concentration checks, heavy armor, shields, martial weapons, the ability to use a spell for an AoO, and the spell casting of a level 12 Wizard.

I'd get 12-16 INT then focus on STR or DEX and CON, try to pick spells that don't require saving throws when possible. Picking up Resilient if you have odd constitution for proficiency in CON will be very strong, Tough isn't a bad feat to consider either, it helps make up for Wizard levels lowering your HP.

Good items to look out or are anything that increases your INT, or raises your AC (which makes it less likely to need a concentration check).

TopCheese
2015-10-05, 04:53 PM

Abjuration will give you more HP, do that, it will help a lot. High AC + maor HP is nice.

Then walk around giving enemies high fives with shocking grasp and vampiric touch.

Random question...

Any reason you didn't go straight Light, Knowledge, or Tempest Cleric instead of multiclassing cleric/wizard (those domains make you a cleric/wizard ish type).

Blood of Gaea
2015-10-05, 05:25 PM
Any reason you didn't go straight Light, Knowledge, or Tempest Cleric instead of multiclassing cleric/wizard (those domains make you a cleric/wizard ish type).

He probably wasn't originally planning to be up in your face, and was just dipping for AC and spell utility.

Grixis
2015-10-05, 11:32 PM

This is a little difficult to answer without knowing your race and the sub-specialties of your Cleric and Wizard classes. I play a Mountain Dwarf Enchantment school Wizard who was been pretty viable in melee combat for the first 8 levels. Instinctive Charm has helped me divert many attacks (sometimes to allies but Barbarian may have his resistance going and Rogue can use Uncanny Dodge). One reason I like having a familiar around is so it can be a potential target for the victim of Instinctive Charm. This ability also helps save you from having to spam Shield constantly and keeps you Level 1 spell slots available for offensive and tactical spells. Just make sure you do cast Shield when dealing the multiple enemies or you think the one enemy has multiple attacks.

Ability bumps are typically better ideas than feats. that said, for a truly melee focused caster I would say Warcaster is mandatory if only for the advantage on maintaining concentration. Remember, even if you take 1 point of damage, the LOWEST concentration saving throw DC is a 10. You are more exposed to attacks while in melee and even a pinprick can make your awesome concentration spells a total waste. This is why vanilla Vampiric Touch SUCKS!!! Using a Level 3 spell slot to average 9 damage and regain 4 health per round (IF you hit, IF you maintain concentration) is pretty terrible. With Warcaster, Vampiric Touch would be less terrible and maybe it would be fair if your school is Necromancy because of Grim Harvest.

Warcaster can be abused a great deal if you double it up with Polearm Master. thematically is makes no sense but by RAW, while holding certain weapons, when enemies enter your threat reach you can cast a spell. This is because Polearm Master does not specifically state that the opportunity attack must be made with a weapon. Per Warcaster, "When a hostile creature's movement provokes an opportunity attack from you, you can use your reaction to cast a spell at the creature, rather than making an opportunity attack."

If you have proficiency with shields, Shield Mastery could be great. Dex saves triggered by BBEG is a Wizard's nightmare and this could help your survive-ability. There's not too much for low level Wizards to use their bonus actions for so a bonus action shove attempt to potentially give you and your allies advantage on your melee attacks could be viable.

One weird way to go is to take Crossbow Expert and stick with your ranged spell attacks. You can cast everything in melee and you won't get disadvantage using this feat. Scorching Ray from point blank range would be pretty cool.

Shocking Grasp has been invaluable in my games. I'll often use it if one member of the party needs get out of melee combat and their use of disengage isn't practical. It scales with your character level which keeps it relevant as your games advance.

Misty Step is a must. it is your "get out of grapple free" card.

Haste bumps your AC and allows you to make an additional weapon attack. The best way to answer, "should I cast a spell or should I use my weapon?" is with "I'll do both!"

Mirror Image is awesome. It is how Wizards avoid dying in drawn out conflicts.

Polymorph. Yeah, it rules.

More general advice is to stay true to your thematic goal but make sure you use you Wizard for what a Wizard is good at; creating tactical advantages, controlling the battlefield and using emergency spells. Use Tasha's Hideous Laughter to take someone out of the fight for a round or two, beat up his friends then come back and finish him off. Cast Grease in the right place at the right time and damn does that make those low level battles easier. If you're going to be close anyway, may as well look at all of those "cone" shaped spells. Fear is good since you might be able to give everyone in your party, including yourself, opportunity attacks.

Cybren
2015-10-05, 11:35 PM
Simple.

"THIS HAND OF MINE GLOWS WITH AN AWESOME POWER!!"

which class do I take lets me catch artillery shells in my hands and force them back up into the mobile suit causing its explosion?

Actually I guess Master Asia is pretty clearly a monk huh

MaxWilson
2015-10-06, 02:56 AM

Sure. Thunderclap cantrip. Great for paladin/sorcerers, so great for melee wizards as well.

Vampiric Touch is also fun, and of course Fire Shield.

All of these are even better if you're a Necromancer. Fighter 1/Necromancer X is one of my top two favorite tank characters. 8 HP of healing every time someone dies to your Fire Shield (4 if they die to your Flaming Sphere) is groovy. AC 21 + Shield is also groovy. Having half a dozen skeleton archers and four chainmail-clad zombies behind you that you can command with your bonus action is even more groovy and makes you a better tank, in real terms, than any single PC has any right to be. A lone barbarian still has only one reaction and can get overrun or evaded by 11 out of 12 kobolds, but a necrotank with his squad of undead will stop most of the kobolds cold and kill the rest in short order.

PoeticDwarf
2015-10-06, 07:21 AM

You can (if you are level 7+ wizard) get fire shield so you do damage in close combat, you can with shocking grasp do some things there but being after your teammates is way smarter often, so only spells like vampiric touch can be usefull.

Slipperychicken
2015-10-06, 10:31 AM
If you're an evocation wizard level 5 or higher, then I suggest charging into the melee and casting a fireball centered on yourself. It's not more effective than casting from long range, but it would be quite a spectacle to incinerate enemies while leaving your allies and yourself non-toasty. Such a tactic should at least draw some aggro away from your comparatively-squishy companions.

HidesHisEyes
2015-10-06, 12:19 PM
Definitely green flame blade! And use the best weapon you're proficient with (an elf with a longsword or rapier would be super cool). Also maybe shocking grasp for when you need to make a nifty escape and want to get a little bit more damage in first rather than disengage, although I know you don't get many cantrips. Blade ward wouldn't hurt either. You're never gonna be on par with any kind of warrior class, but it sounds like a fun build!

Paeleus
2015-10-06, 12:29 PM
If you're any kind of elf or dwarf, I'd echo a few previous posts and recommend the new Greenflame Blade cantrip.

Cast Haste on yourself and have an extra attack if the situation calls for strictly melee. Keep track of the duration and Misty Step/Dimension Door your butt outta there when the spell is about to end. This is hardly an optimal choice of resource usage of course.

Animate Objects can have up to 10 small objects at +6/1d8+2 per object attacking as a bonus action. 10 attack rolls as a bonus action is sweet. Plus you can potentially have many OA's(maybe not, can't fact check currently).

djreynolds
2015-10-08, 02:23 AM
Right now my wizard is a mountain dwarf abjuration type. Medium armor, no shield, hand axes.

We just battled a demon? Our barbarian charged in and I wasted a lightning bolt on the demon, dumb I know.

The barbarian was taking hits. So I went in and cast protection from evil on me first,

because my movement is 25 and sucks.

And next round mirror image. I used my shield spell as a reaction when needed and realizing my cantrips were useless started swinging.

I took a lot of hits and so did the barbarian. But we prevailed. We had a few magic weapons, and I missed on most of my swings but my mirror image ate up some hits and protection from evil gave me 5 temporary hit points and disadvantage for the demon's attacks.

Wizards with armor can tank.

Blood of Gaea
2015-10-08, 07:13 PM
because my movement is 25 and sucks.

Just a tip, if you really need to move some extra distance as a Wizard, using Expeditious Retreat or Misty Step will get your there, and have left you your action to cast Mirror Image.

MeeposFire
2015-10-08, 08:57 PM
Just a tip, if you really need to move some extra distance as a Wizard, using Expeditious Retreat or Misty Step will get your there, and have left you your action to cast Mirror Image.

Does not work on the same turn as you cannot cast a spell on the same turn as a bonus action spell unless it is a cantrip.

Blood of Gaea
2015-10-08, 09:06 PM
Does not work on the same turn as you cannot cast a spell on the same turn as a bonus action spell unless it is a cantrip.

My bad, I was thinking the Illusion cantrip.

MaxWilson
2015-10-08, 10:32 PM
I took a lot of hits and so did the barbarian. But we prevailed. We had a few magic weapons, and I missed on most of my swings but my mirror image ate up some hits and protection from evil gave me 5 temporary hit points and disadvantage for the demon's attacks.

That must be a house rule. It doesn't normally give temp HP.

djreynolds
2015-10-09, 12:58 AM

Very true, but only if you were smart enough to have them in your spell book. I need to loot gold and buy spells.

djreynolds
2015-10-09, 01:00 AM
That must be a house rule. It doesn't normally give temp HP.

Protection from evil is an abjuration spell, and if you are an abjuration wizard you get bonus temporary hit points. Initially, double spell level plus intelligence modifier and subsequent abjuration spells replenish that number. At 6th I can pass it to another. I can fix once a long rest.

Blood of Gaea
2015-10-09, 01:24 AM
Protection from evil is an abjuration spell, and if you are an abjuration wizard you get bonus temporary hit points. Initially, double spell level plus intelligence modifier and subsequent abjuration spells replenish that number. At 6th I can pass it to another. I can fix once a long rest.

Pro tip: When you settle down for a Long Rest cast Alarm as a ritual, useful for security, and tops off your temporary HP.

You should also look into summoning creatures, it's a good way for a Wizard to get some meat up front, and keeps your relatively fragile wizard self back. Just someone whatever has the most HP, your party already has plenty of damage.

djreynolds
2015-10-09, 04:57 AM
Its tough acquiring spells. A cleric may cast a fireball and a ranger may cast alarm, but unless the DM "isn't" watching you can't copy those spells. And merchants and percentile dice suck.

Malifice
2015-10-09, 05:28 AM
Dip paladin 2. Spam divine smites.

NNescio
2015-10-09, 06:09 AM

Strictly speaking, those aren't temporary HP, but an alternate entity of sorts which absorbs damage for you.

So it can stack with normal temp HP!

Ward gets plinked off firs though. Which is good since you don't need to make concentration checks either (since damage to the Ward doesn't count as damage to you, unlike temp HP).

Pro tip: When you settle down for a Long Rest cast Alarm as a ritual, useful for security, and tops off your temporary HP.

You should also look into summoning creatures, it's a good way for a Wizard to get some meat up front, and keeps your relatively fragile wizard self back. Just someone whatever has the most HP, your party already has plenty of damage.

Protip 1b: Unless it's a Stealth mission, just spam Alarm whenever you can between combats. (It takes like, what, 11 minutes? Might as well do it while the rest of the party loots). Any random areas or doors really, but preferably in places where it can pull double duty as actual alarms for you.

Protip 2: If you're going to be a Gnome Abjurer anyway, consider going Svirfneblin and taking the race-exclusive feat for at-will Nondetection. Now recharging your ward is even easier!

eastmabl
2015-10-09, 11:05 AM
You could try layering in some vanilla TWF in order to make yourself more useful in close combat. Twin daggers are pretty decent.

Make sure you have a decent number of daggers. Start with two daggers and make your attacks with your Action and Bonus Action. When you need to cast a spell with a somatic component, drop a dagger. When you want to attack with a second dagger, draw a new dagger as part of your Action and make the attacks. (The trick will run out when you run out of daggers).

This is what I do with my lightfoot halfling sorcerer whose dwarven friends force him into melee far too often for his liking.

(As an aside, despite being a general turd of a class, the sorcerer has a lot going on for it for making a decent fighter-mage [at least at low levels]. Draconic Bloodline gives you mage armor for life at level 1; you are the only full caster who is proficient with the Constitution saving throw; Subtle spell lets you spend a sorcery point to remove the somatic requirement from a spell. I haven't played the class past level 5 yet, and presume that it starts to lag really hard).

MaxWilson
2015-10-09, 09:30 PM

Arcane Ward gives you double your wizard level plus spell modifier, not double your spell level. At third level with Int 16 it would have 9 HP, plus your real HP, plus any temp HP you have from e.g. Inspiring Leader.

It's probably best not to call them "temp HP" because you'll confuse people into think they are genuine, non-stacking temp HP. You could call them "bonus HP" or "Arcane Ward HP" and people would know what you meant.

djreynolds
2015-10-10, 03:37 AM
Arcane Ward gives you double your wizard level plus spell modifier, not double your spell level. At third level with Int 16 it would have 9 HP, plus your real HP, plus any temp HP you have from e.g. Inspiring Leader.

It's probably best not to call them "temp HP" because you'll confuse people into think they are genuine, non-stacking temp HP. You could call them "bonus HP" or "Arcane Ward HP" and people would know what you meant.

Well then I've been cheating myself, I always cast pro from evil and he's 6th level. But I give him double the 1st level spell and my horrible +3 modifier, +5 instead of 15, dang.

But still mountain dwarf abjuration is the way to go, you can always pick up the heavy armor feat, or even dip, though I loathe to with full casters.

But prof from evil and mirror image can really help eat up enemy attacks, and medium armor helps save a spell slot that you would've used with mage armor. Sorcerer are great with twinning spells, but they only have some many spells known and twinning eats up spell points or slots.

tatsuyashiba
2015-10-18, 12:46 AM
So, in a party of a Rogue (AT), a Monk (hand), a Cleric of Light and an Archer-ranger, I'm playing a wizard with a cleric dip...

How can he make himself dangerous in close combat? I mean, more dangerous than the usual "stay in the back rank" wizard.

As other posters have said, armor, shield, Shield abjuration spell, Mirror image, Blur etc. give you plenty ability to evade/take hits. The challenge as a wizard is to lay out the damage close quarters, or fulfill the offensive threat of being a tank.

Simply standing by the NPC allows your Rogue to get sneak attack damage.

Smart hex placement allows you to cut off choke points or block NPCs from approaching the Cleric and the Archer - so they can focus on ranged attacks without engaging in melee themselves (causing disadvantage).

Shocking Grasp cantrip is decent damage, with advantage against metal wearing enemies, that also removes their reaction. This allows the Rogue or Monk to maneuver between combatants without drawing attacks of opportunity.

Your Owl Familiar can fly into combat without drawing attacks of opportunity, and deliver Shocking Grasp touch attacks to NPCs you can't reach yourself. The Owl Familiar and yourself can also use the Help action in combat to give allies advantage.

Minor Illusion, as detailed in Treantmonk's podcast, can be used to give disadvantage to attackers, cover, or advantage to your allies. Say, by hiding the rogue in a bush, or creating cover for the Ranger archer. Minor Illusion is an action to cast, but lasts a full minute without concentration, and you can have up to 3 at a time. I like to use Minor Illusion for barricades that block certain squares. By smartly using a corner, my own placement, and an additional barricade (while I concentrate on Web), I can greatly reduce the number of attacks enemies deliver per round.

Thunderclap, evocation cantrip from Elemental Evil, does d6 damage to all creatures within 5 feet on a failed Con save.

Grease, which you can cast from close up or far away, lasts for a minute without concentration and makes a 10ft by 10ft square difficult terrain. And forces enemies to save or fall prone. Great to give your Rogue advantage/sneak attack, or to lock down terrain while tanking yourself.

I've considered using Gust of Wind for a 60foot by 10 foot corridor that pushes enemies back 15 feet (if they fail a Strength save), and also halves movement. The problem is Strength saves are by far the most common that enemies are proficient in. You might consider it depending on enemies and terrain you usually encounter. It lasts up to a minute requiring concentration, and you can change the direction with a bonus action.

All cone spells, e.g. Color Spray and Burning Hands, are more useful in melee range. You're likely to hit more NPCs in the area of effect.

tatsuyashiba
2015-10-18, 01:49 PM
Protip 1b: Unless it's a Stealth mission, just spam Alarm whenever you can between combats. (It takes like, what, 11 minutes? Might as well do it while the rest of the party loots). Any random areas or doors really, but preferably in places where it can pull double duty as actual alarms for you.

Likewise, if you're a Conjuration specialist with the "Benign Transposition" 6th level ability (teleport up to 30 feet to an unoccupied space, or swap places with a wiling ally), you can use the Tenser's Floating Disc or Unseen Servant level 1 rituals to recharge the ability. Otherwise - you can't use it again until you cast a 1st level or higher Conjuration spell (I recommend Grease), or have a short or long rest.

tatsuyashiba
2015-10-18, 02:43 PM

Poison Spray does 1d12 cantrip damage versus Con save, but has a range of 10 feet. 2d12 at character level 5.