PDA

View Full Version : Secrets of Pact Magic and Tome of Magic Binding

atemu1234
2015-10-04, 10:14 AM
Are they compatible? I recently got a copy of it from one of my friends, who bought it for a campaign but didn't have a use for it, so I bought it off of him.

I haven't looked to thoroughly into either, and the copy is being mailed to me, so I don't have it in my hands ATM.

Pluto!
2015-10-04, 12:03 PM
They don't quite mesh, but they're close enough that you could make it work.

The Radiance house vestiges tend not to scale as well with level, presumably because their system is built around a decision between getting a single high-level vestige or multiple low-level vestiges. They also have the added baggage of constellations, bonuses, companions and so forth which the ToM vestiges don't share.

And as an additional complication, all pactbinders are by default assumed to have all available vestiges available automatically, so just mushing the various vestiges from both sources together drastically increases the number of options available to a character, and meaningfully impacts power levels that way.

I've never used them in the same game, but I think you could do it reasonably. Just. you might need to treat the interactions gingerly, without the expectation that every feat/vestige will be automatically and irrevocably available to everyone. Expect to make some rulings on the fly and to take things back if they make you uncomfortable.

EDIT: And mixing the full-casting Radiance house binder with Anima Mage's free metamagic would probably get crazy.

atemu1234
2015-10-04, 12:25 PM
Is a house rule about which vestiges you can bind in order? Like doing research as a wizard would do with spells?

meemaas
2015-10-04, 12:33 PM
Is a house rule about which vestiges you can bind in order? Like doing research as a wizard would do with spells?

There's rules in the book for researching spirits for a campaign where it's not automatically accessible.