PDA

View Full Version : Modern counterparts of each Class

Asmotherion
2015-10-04, 10:19 AM
My personal view of Stereotypical behavior of each class, and what they would be in modern society.

Warlock: Founder of some very obscure occult cult. With initiation levels etc. They would search the answears to the occult by researching secret lore, and probably would have a dark tone. Someone who gets a lot of money (power) through a bargain. They also get a bunch of fanatic followers.

Sorcerer: Hollywood Celebrity. A lot of (social) power, a high oppinion of themselves, and a sence they are above all other people. The fact they got there was more an innate tallent than something they had to study for.

Wizard: A Scientist. Probably the kind to make clones, robots, and other over-the-edge research. Needs a lot of study to get there. If you do, you get a higher sallery (power) than most though, and you are considered the "smart one" in social situations.

Rogue: Some kind of cat burglar; A mafia member; A hired assasin. In the end, they end up with a lot of money, through illegal means, and have a network to support them. You can also see them as profecional spies.

Barbarian: From a gung member to your typical highschool bully, all of them quallyfy. In general, someone who loves fighting and intimidating people. Maybe a biker.

Fighter: More than your average soldier. Having devoted his life to warfare, a fighter might quallyfy to be in special forces or a CIA agent.

Monk: A profecional martial artist or a Shaolin. Someone who has extended his martial arts prowes to an extend of defying the ordinery, running on walls etc.

Ranger: You know, a profecional hunter, for societies that this is still a thing. Maybe a different kind of soldier than the fighter, more into the survivalist kind. Like, a Fighter would be J.I. Jo, wile a Ranger would be Rambo.

Cleric: Priest. I don't feel I need to explain it further.

Druid: A pagan or a New age believer. Devoted more to Natural forces rather than Gods and Godesses.

Paladin: You know those guys who are too much into religion, to an extend of bulling non believers? Probably a terrorist or a neo-nazi. Sory, there are no cool modern counterparts of paladins. Edit: missionaries to impoverished nations who do their best to help people, as JNAProductions said. I guess I tend to see the evil in people more than the good XD

Bard: A rock/pop star. Again, no further explaination needed.

JNAProductions
2015-10-04, 10:27 AM
Paladin: You know those guys who are too much into religion, to an extend of bulling non believers? Probably a terrorist or a neo-nazi. Sory, there are no cool modern counterparts of paladins.

*Cough cough missionaries to impoverished nations who do their best to help people cough cough*

Sorry, had a non-offensive interpretation stuck in my throat. :P

Asmotherion
2015-10-04, 10:29 AM
*Cough cough missionaries to impoverished nations who do their best to help people cough cough*

Sorry, had a non-offensive interpretation stuck in my throat. :P

Smooth... I literally got stuck, and couldn't think of anything XD thnx

Daishain
2015-10-04, 12:48 PM
Especially in this edition, Paladins are first and foremost champions of causes, religion doesn't necessarily need be involved. Missionaries are a good example. But that guy who organized a militia to fight poachers of endangered species would be another. As would people like Elon Musk.

Pex
2015-10-04, 01:06 PM
Paladin: Policemen, Firemen

It's really not that hard.

Prince Zahn
2015-10-04, 01:26 PM
Warlock: Founder of some very obscure occult cult. With initiation levels etc. They would search the answears to the occult by researching secret lore, and probably would have a dark tone. Someone who gets a lot of money (power) through a bargain. They also get a bunch of fanatic followers. also, College Frat houses. those who live by it might eventually pursue the calling.

Sorcerer: Hollywood Celebrity. A lot of (social) power, a high opinion of themselves, and a sense they are above all other people. The fact they got there was more an innate tallent than something they had to study for.

[...]Rogue: Some kind of cat burglar; A mafia member; A hired assasin. In the end, they end up with a lot of money, through illegal means, and have a network to support them. You can also see them as profecional spies. Polititians, too. I'm not joking, being charismatic enough to make the newspapers on a daily basis is in their job description. rebels also fit both their descriptions.

Wizard: A Scientist. Probably the kind to make clones, robots, and other over-the-edge research. Needs a lot of study to get there. If you do, you get a higher sallery (power) than most though, and you are considered the "smart one" in social situations. Scientists, street magicians, engineers, architects, any class with enchantments could be a psychiatrist, too.

Barbarian: From a gang member to your typical highschool bully, all of them quallify. In general, someone who loves fighting and intimidating people. Maybe a biker. also movie stars, football players. hard to picture path of the totem warrior making much sense unless you are on National geographic or something.

Fighter: More than your average soldier. Having devoted his life to warfare, a fighter might quallyfy to be in special forces or a CIA agent.law enforcement, self-defense teachers, gun/fighting enthusiasts, gym teachers.

Monk: A profecional martial artist or a Shaolin. Someone who has extended his martial arts prowes to an extend of defying the ordinery, running on walls etc. for a modern twist, think street brawlers, kickboxers, other athletes.

Ranger: You know, a profecional hunter, for societies that this is still a thing. Maybe a different kind of soldier than the fighter, more into the survivalist kind. Like, a Fighter would be J.I. Jo, wile a Ranger would be Rambo. scout headmaster,:smallsmile: tour guide in the wilderness, pet shop owners, zookeepers, poachers, birdwatchers/keepers, police/ military dog trainer.

Cleric: Priest. I don't feel I need to explain it further. prophets, doctors of different kinds, false prophets, cultists like the Warlock. but you are right I don't see much flexibility here either.

Druid: A pagan or a New age believer. Devoted more to Natural forces rather than Gods and Godesses. nature activists/preservers, zookeepers, commericial mascots, the old lady who feeds the pidgeons by the bench when there's a sign 10 feet away instructing NOT to:smalltongue: .

Paladin: You know those guys who are too much into religion, to an extend of bulling non believers? Probably a terrorist or a neo-nazi. Sory, there are no cool modern counterparts of paladins. Edit: missionaries to impoverished nations who do their best to help people, as JNAProductions said. I guess I tend to see the evil in people more than the good XD Law enforcement, the queen's guards, heavy infantry, steadfast bodyguards, butlers (:smalltongue:) pastors, motivational speakers.

Anonymouswizard
2015-10-04, 07:51 PM
Wizard: A Scientist. Probably the kind to make clones, robots, and other over-the-edge research. Needs a lot of study to get there. If you do, you get a higher sallery (power) than most though, and you are considered the "smart one" in social situations.

Wizards are weird, they look like scientists but perform as engineers. As a brief divide:
Scientist wizard: creates new spells (cutting edge science).
Engineer wizard: uses existing spells to solve problems.
But there is quite a bit of overlap (even in the real world between the two professions, but replace spells with theories and it's a decent rule of thumb).

Cleric: Priest. I don't feel I need to explain it further.

I always saw them as closer to a Charismatic Preacher than Catholic Priest, but they do come in many varieties.

Paladin: You know those guys who are too much into religion, to an extend of bulling non believers? Probably a terrorist or a neo-nazi. Sory, there are no cool modern counterparts of paladins. Edit: missionaries to impoverished nations who do their best to help people, as JNAProductions said. I guess I tend to see the evil in people more than the good XD

Paladins are some of the easiest to come up with. Policemen are the big one, followed by military intelligence personal, missionaries, fireman... If somebody responds to an emergency they are a paladin.

Yes, terrorists can be paladins (see your terrorists are our freedom fighters), but as blackguard now seems to be part of Paladin that's pretty much a given.

T.G. Oskar
2015-10-04, 11:41 PM
Barbarians would be an oxymoron in modern society, but there's a few ways to handle them. The d20 Modern rulebook (specifically Urban Arcana) had the Thrasher, which is in essence an "urban barbarian", and closer to 5e incarnation than to its 3.5 incarnation. The Thrasher was an extension, in a way, of the Tough Hero, which typically represents your thugs - the Thrasher, thus, becomes the "super-thug". In a way, gangs behave like an extension of tribes, and thus you could conceive most urban Barbarians as gang members. They wouldn't fit organized crime gangs (Mafia, Vory, Yakuza, Triads/Tongs), but most street-level gangs. The Berserker path fits them nicely. As for the Totem Warrior path, you could consider most aboriginal warriors to fit that idea, in particular if they receive the guidance of spirits. In both cases, the Berserker path would be the "Thrasher" path, and its enhanced Rage would be the result of pent-up rage; the Totem Warrior path would be reserved to non-civilized societies' elite warriors.

Bards seem like an easy fit, but they're more than just rockstars. Sure: the idea of Bards being extremely popular might seem like a given, but note that Bards work as more than just musicians. You could perceive a skilled orator with strong force of personality (i.e. self-help speakers) as Bards. In particular, Bards would be those artists (orators being an exception to artistry) capable of inspiring people, and that also know some combat skills. The problem lies on the Bardic Colleges; College of Lore would imply educated and popular people, whereas College of War would imply some sort of military training (perhaps the conductor of a popular march band?) So yeah; seems easy on paper, but hard on actual execution. That said, you could refluff College of War and get a "Brutal Legend" kind of vibe.

Clerics also seem quite simple - most ordained clergy from Western faiths and some Eastern faiths. Domains would be their particular focus on study of divine magic, and would be tailored to their faiths. In particular, Clerics would be those priests assigned to missionary duty and trained as theurges (in the correct sense of the word, as "miracle-workers"). Since the Cleric was originally perceived as a warrior-priest (actually, closer to a Knight Templar than a warrior-priest, but the essence was warrior-priest), most of them would probably be chaplains too (and would work more than just guides in a particular faith).

Druids are also rooted in older time periods, but there's a way to handle them, thanks in no way to another system (namely, Shadowrun). There's two ways to handle Druids; they could be aboriginal shamans, clinging to their old ways (and they could be non-civilized, or as with native American shamans, adapted to modern life), or New Age practitioners of animistic or nature-related faiths (working like street shamans). Circle of Land Druids would refer to nature-related faiths, while Circle of Moon Druids would relate to animistic faiths, particularly those that allow trances.

Fighters aren't your grunt soldiers; they're the elites, or at least the vets. You can expect most of the special forces, as well as most of the martial arts champs, to have some levels in Fighter (if not all of them). Champion works better for soldiers, whereas Battlemaster works fine for officers or warriors based on maneuvers.

Monks have an easy fit, particularly rooted in devoted practitioners of martial arts and Eastern philosophies. Bruce Lee would be easily one, as well as Jet Li, and in terms of modern fictional characters, Mr. Miyagi. This would also work with most of the clergy of Eastern faiths, as well, even if they don't actually fight.

Paladins, as mentioned, are champions of a cause. On the bad side, this includes most of the people fighting for causes such as religious supremacy, which means mostly fanatical militias. On the good side, this also includes law enforcement officers, and these are the most likely to become Paladins because of their devotion - in particular, if they try to resist corruption.

Rangers, curiously, work nicely as other kinds of special forces. They might end up as your Green Berets, your Spetznaz, your carabinieri, and yes, your Rangers (lawl!) Alternatively, they might work as some of the more agile warriors of some tribes, or rugged survivalists (like, I dunno, Bear Grylls?)

Rogues don't necessarily have to be criminals, but you'll associate them as such. Thieves, naturally, will be your burglars with lots of gadgets, whereas Assassins would be your hitmen. However, a Thief could easily be a street magician, and an Assassin could be a member of Special Forces trained for quick and easy takedown. Not necessarily focused on the criminal element.

Sorcerers and Wizards would be two sides of a same coin: they'd be essentially scientists, except Wizards do all college years while Sorcerers are self-taught (in a way; essentially, they manifest their talent) and they get tutoring along the way (thus, their "origin"). This counterpart would involve, of course, that arcane magic could be studied as a science: those with innate talent for magic could study Wizardry, but to become a Sorcerer, it'd be necessary to have the talent. Wizardry, on the other hand, requires a lot of study and probably preparing the body for the manipulation of arcane energies, and the method would be kept in secrecy. To explain better: Wizardry could be studied, but it'd be under wraps, and the alleged ways to study and cast magic would be essentially Sorcerers trying to make a quick buck - it'd work for anyone who has the talent, but not for those who lack it.

Warlocks, finally, are somewhat tied to the Sorcerer/Wizard concept. Whereas a Wizard attempts to learn magic through a very specific process, and Sorcerers manifest magic innately, Warlocks would, as per the fluff, achieve it through trickery and guile (and of course, through a pact). That'd mean it'd be the main way for some cults to emerge, but would also cover some of the more esoteric forms of magic; for example, most New Age "magicians" would be Warlocks that have established pacts with more benign entities. Because of the need for guile, the Warlock would most likely be deceptive enough to swindle people in one way or another.

Mara
2015-10-05, 05:51 AM
Bard: Politicians, able to manipulate the thoughts and beliefs of strong willed thinking individuals with just words. Any influential artist.

Barbarian: Primitive warriors, depend more on natural strength than fancy technology. Also includes basic gang heavies.

Cleric: Jesuit priest or any other science focused religious order.

Druid: knowledgeable Hippies. Master of herbs and friend of animals.

Fighter: soldier.

Monk: monks, we still have those.

Paladin: warriors of faith. Includes any devote person that uses faith as a source of strength in violent situations.

Ranger: Hunters, rangers, survivalist, crocodile hunters, ect.

Rogue: competent gang members, spies, CIA, cartel brains.

Sorcerer: anyone who accomplishes great things through sheer charismatic force. The life of a party. Cult leaders. Revolutionary leaders. Kamina.

Warlock: those who make dangerous alliances for power. The business man with organized crime connections. The politician with ties to foreign countries. A kid with a dad who could and would beat you up.

Wizard: Scientist, philosophers, professors, anyone who depends on raw intellect for fame and power.