PDA

View Full Version : Neutral Evil Outsiders

FocusWolf413
2015-10-04, 11:44 AM
There's a TON of documentation on demons and devils, but really not much at all on yugoloths. How do you guys use them? Do you evem use them? How do they act?

Eldan
2015-10-04, 12:26 PM
Wizards really dropped the ball on them, yeah. You want to go back to second edition for that, if you can, there were several books on them. Let's see. "Planes of Conflict", "Hellbound: the Blood War" and "Faces of Evil: the Fiends" should really give you all you need.There's probably some shops somewhere that sell PDFs online, otherwise, legal means are very difficult.

They barely covered any of the exemplar races properly, other than demons or devils. Shame, really.

DrMotives
2015-10-04, 12:29 PM
The fluff for them is mostly found in older editions, from 1st to 2e Planescape. They're mercenaries in the Blood War, they really love making contracts & deals. Unlike the devils though, these aren't strictly held to the letter. The daemons (yogoloths) will break their own deals if a better one comes along, and not feel bad about it. Different mercenary companies of them will work for either of the 2 main sides in the War, and switch contracts frequently. The entire race is just a huge series of mercenary armies & warbands, and while most of what they do is fight the Blood War they can be hired out to anyone willing to pay exemplars of evil. This makes them more easily usable in a non-Planar campaign than the 2 main fiendish races. Frankly, I don't understand why they've gotten so little support in this edition.

atemu1234
2015-10-04, 12:30 PM
I usually have a host of other NE outsider races that I homebrew alongside the Yuguloths. The fact that it takes me about two hours to homebrew something with the same level of detail as the yuguloths in 3.5 is quite telling, really.

I like what pathfinder did with them, I use that sometimes, and I also have made some of my own.

Inevitability
2015-10-04, 02:26 PM
I use them alongside devils and demons in my 5th edition campaign. The players don't care too much, all they see is another bunch of fiends to kill.

FocusWolf413
2015-10-04, 02:49 PM
The players don't care too much, all they see is another bunch of fiends to kill.

That's actually really depressing.

Eldan
2015-10-04, 03:03 PM
The fluff for them is mostly found in older editions, from 1st to 2e Planescape. They're mercenaries in the Blood War, they really love making contracts & deals. Unlike the devils though, these aren't strictly held to the letter. The daemons (yogoloths) will break their own deals if a better one comes along, and not feel bad about it. Different mercenary companies of them will work for either of the 2 main sides in the War, and switch contracts frequently. The entire race is just a huge series of mercenary armies & warbands, and while most of what they do is fight the Blood War they can be hired out to anyone willing to pay exemplars of evil. This makes them more easily usable in a non-Planar campaign than the 2 main fiendish races. Frankly, I don't understand why they've gotten so little support in this edition.

I think the mercenary stuff is really the most boring aspect of the race. I quite like to extrapolate from the many schemes hinted at in the books and turn them into puppetmasters who use mercenary work as a money source and a cover-up. All the themes of fear and disease and darkness and detached, cold, science.

Back in Planescape, a lot of the really high-ups of the fiendish races were unknown, perhaps unknowable. The demon princes and Asmodeus have been uncovered, but I find it strangely fitting that the General of Gehenna is still all but unknown.