PDA

View Full Version : Equipping Nonhumanoids

Psionic Dog
2007-05-20, 06:59 AM
Humanoids get all the PC attention, so I was considering using a Worg as my next character. Horizon Walker and Psychic Warrior fit the race well, so I’m good to go on stats. Unfortunately, I can’t find a way to spend 45,000 gp on equipment. Does anyone have advice on what to buy? Worgs could use armor, boots, an amulet, psionic tattoos, and… what else?

Since the DM has hinted that the campaign will be undead heavy, I’ll probably also drop armor and relay on Inertial Armor. I would rather not spend 20K on two items.

Finally, with no helpful cohorts around, the worg aught to be able to “Dress Itself.” I am not asking my fellow PCs for help here thank-you-very-much!

Books allowed: Core + Arcana Unearthed, DMGII, PhBII, and MMII. While the DM allows all of this, I only have easy access to the core stuff.

Yuki Akuma
2007-05-20, 07:06 AM
Worgs can use any jewelry you could think of, as well as bracers, and they could use specially-modified gloves.

Really, all creatures have exactly the same item slots. A worg can wear a Headband of Intellect just as easily as any elf, and if it's modified into a special 'paw-glove', he can wear gloves and boots as well.

The only thing that has rules for modification is armour, though. I doubt it would cost any more to make a Paw-Glove of Speed or a Paw-Glove of Dexterity.

The only items you can't use normally are weapons, shields, and any other item that requires opposable thumbs. And there are even special abilities for weapons and shields that let them be used by creatures with no thumbs.

In order to 'dress yourself'... take a level of Sorcerer for Mage Hand. Or get a Hand of the Mage.

Starsinger
2007-05-20, 07:08 AM
With those opposable thumbs? Rings, possibly in the ears. Bracers. Cape. You may wish to talk the DM into allowing you to have magic items in those slots, or as charms on a collar, that would take the same slots, but then you don't have the silly image of a giant wolf-like creature wearing full plate, with winged boots, and some bracers.

Oh, and belts too.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-20, 07:14 AM
Savage Species has stuff for nonhumanoids like Necklaces of Natural weapons.

Jack Mann
2007-05-20, 08:27 AM
Really, all creatures have exactly the same item slots.

Not so. A beholder, for example, can wear a headband, three eye lenses or goggles, three amulets, a pair of braces, and up to three rings, but effectively lacks shoulder, torso, hand, and feet slots.

Psionic Dog
2007-05-20, 10:12 AM
I can actually comfortably imagine a worg in full plate; it’s the belt that looks ridiculous in my mental picture. A Hand of The Mage would be well worth the expence even though a mummified hand doesn’t quit fit the picture. Does an equivalent psionic item using Far Hand exist?
Sorcerer would be an awkward class since all spells would have to be cast with the still spell feat, so psionics are better for the somatically challenged.
Savage Beast seems to hold all the answers, but I have no access to it, so please don’t taunt me.

So, tattoos, headbands, armor, gloves, boots, and braces. Rings could translate to earrings or bracelets/anklets. Also, greater magic fang could be permanified.

Have I missed anything?

AtomicKitKat
2007-05-20, 11:09 PM
Here you go. The original thread that started the sadly short MotAW campaign.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19544

Plenty of ideas were hashed over in those 13+ pages. Replace spell-requirements with Psionic equivalents.

Bassetking
2007-05-21, 12:20 AM
I can actually comfortably imagine a worg in full plate; it’s the belt that looks ridiculous in my mental picture. A Hand of The Mage would be well worth the expence even though a mummified hand doesn’t quit fit the picture. Does an equivalent psionic item using Far Hand exist?
Sorcerer would be an awkward class since all spells would have to be cast with the still spell feat, so psionics are better for the somatically challenged.
Savage Beast seems to hold all the answers, but I have no access to it, so please don’t taunt me.

So, tattoos, headbands, armor, gloves, boots, and braces. Rings could translate to earrings or bracelets/anklets. Also, greater magic fang could be permanified.

Have I missed anything?

I'm not certain I see the problem with the belt...

http://i17.ebayimg.com/01/i/06/90/40/a6_2.JPG

Fhaolan
2007-05-21, 12:42 AM
*Very* short, *very* sadly. I think we just had too many people involved. Too many different schedules that couldn't align.

We worked out quite a few details in that thread. Other links that might help (I wrote these up, and posted them on Fax's Wiki back when we were doing the MotAW game):

Base Worg (http://www.corporation.walagata.com/fax/wiki/index.php/Base_Worg): This is a progressive build of the standard MM Worg. It points out that the version in the 3.5 MM is missing a few skill points, probably due to a misprint.

Wolves in D&D (http://www.corporation.walagata.com/fax/wiki/index.php/Wolves_in_D%26D): This is an examination of wolves and worgs in all the different editions of D&D that I have access to.