PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Dual-Cursed Life Oracle guidance, please

Amphetryon
2015-10-04, 05:50 PM
For a new PF-only campaign I'm about to run from 1st level, I'm going to be trying, for the first time, a Dual-Cursed Life Oracle; she's essentially there to allow the Players' PCs - a Fighter, a Monk, a Wizard, and a [TBD] - the luxury of not worrying much about investing in healing at the low levels of the campaign (which is scheduled to end at or before 10th level). Unfortunately, in the process of making her backstory fit the available Curses, I may have made her overly "blessed with suck," to use the TVTropes term.

If it matters, the point-buy in conjunction with the concept wound up with a Half-Elf Oracle, STR 14 DEX 14 CON 16 INT 7 WIS 7 CHA 20. Race, Class, and Stat allocation are not subject to change; essentially, everyone in the group made a conscious decision to have a couple of Stats below average, while still covering the various bases to the best of their combined ability.

The Curses under which she labors are "Consumed" and "Foretold." Significantly, Consumed is the Curse which never changes its abilities as she levels. These are not subject to change. As I read the Life Oracle's abilities, this puts a significant damper on which Revelations are actually viable for her, particularly at the lowest levels of the game. Am I reading the Revelations wrong? Is there a way to make this Curse and this Revelation function together without the poor gal passing out with regularity?

Psyren
2015-10-04, 06:15 PM
Wow, she's pretty dumb isn't she? "Unk, Grunthilda am healer."

I'm not sure why you're worried though - aside from effectively taking additional damage from Life Link, Consumed and Life go together quite well. Remember that all magical healing acts on lethal and nonlethal damage simultaneously, so from the perspective of any healing magic you use (Cure spells, channel energy etc), you're healing both simultaneously and the nonlethal may as well not exist. Since most of the Life abilities make you better at healing in combat (Combat Healer, Safe Curing, channel etc) and they apply to you too, you're better equipped than most Oracles would be. to counteract the negative effects of the curse. Furthermore, Spirit Boost and Enhanced Cures combine to give you an additional buffer before the damage you take might make you unconscious.

Basically if you're that worried about Life Link, just skip it, or be a little bit more proactive about dropping cures on yourself, but that's really it. The other revelations make this curse better, not worse.

Amphetryon
2015-10-04, 06:47 PM
Wow, she's pretty dumb isn't she? "Unk, Grunthilda am healer."

I'm not sure why you're worried though - aside from effectively taking additional damage from Life Link, Consumed and Life go together quite well. Remember that all magical healing acts on lethal and nonlethal damage simultaneously, so from the perspective of any healing magic you use (Cure spells, channel energy etc), you're healing both simultaneously and the nonlethal may as well not exist. Since most of the Life abilities make you better at healing in combat (Combat Healer, Safe Curing, channel etc) and they apply to you too, you're better equipped than most Oracles would be. to counteract the negative effects of the curse. Furthermore, Spirit Boost and Enhanced Cures combine to give you an additional buffer before the damage you take might make you unconscious.

Basically if you're that worried about Life Link, just skip it, or be a little bit more proactive about dropping cures on yourself, but that's really it. The other revelations make this curse better, not worse.

She is indeed. One of the other Characters has 7 INT and CHA, with a 16 WIS, for context. She's got a little Zaphod Beeblebrox in her, I think.

Primarily, the concern is that Life Link reads as the clear cream of the crop of 1st level abilities, with Consumed all but removing it from consideration as a viable choice at 1st level. Safe Curing is generally mimicked via intelligent positioning (which the Wizard and Monk will guide); Enhanced Cures and Spirit Boost are essentially wasted at 1st level; Energy Body reads from here as a losing proposition in damage cured vs damage received for a Consumed-Cursed Oracle until high level, as does Life Link; Healing Hands was unanimously called 'underwhelming' by the group, and the remaining ones (I think) require my Oracle to wait until she's higher level.

Psyren
2015-10-04, 07:10 PM
You're forgetting Channel, which is the best 1st-level Life revelation by far. That's an extra 6d6 of healing per day to the entire party that doesn't touch your limited spell slots.

By the time you're ready for another one, you should have the HP to withstand a Life Link with some nonlethal attached, and then for your next one at 7 you'll be ready for Combat Healer.

grarrrg
2015-10-04, 07:13 PM
Primarily, the concern is that Life Link reads as the clear cream of the crop of 1st level abilities, with Consumed all but removing it from consideration as a viable choice at 1st level. Safe Curing is generally mimicked via intelligent positioning (which the Wizard and Monk will guide); Enhanced Cures and Spirit Boost are essentially wasted at 1st level; Energy Body reads from here as a losing proposition in damage cured vs damage received for a Consumed-Cursed Oracle until high level, as does Life Link; Healing Hands was unanimously called 'underwhelming' by the group, and the remaining ones (I think) require my Oracle to wait until she's higher level.

Channel Energy says "Hi".

Kurald Galain
2015-10-05, 03:41 AM
As I read the Life Oracle's abilities, this puts a significant damper on which Revelations are actually viable for her, particularly at the lowest levels of the game. Am I reading the Revelations wrong? Is there a way to make this Curse and this Revelation function together without the poor gal passing out with regularity?

Channel has already been mentioned, but you should also check the variant channeling rules (www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/cleric/variant-channeling), which halve the healing but can have some interesting buffs depending on your deity.

Also, as a dual-cursed oracle, Misfortune is absolutely amazing. The ability to go to every single enemy you meet (once per enemy) and say "no you don't, try again" is both powerful and hilarious, and will make your party love you. If you are blessed with suck now, this makes you cursed with awesome.

Finally, Spirit Boost is a useful revelation. In fact, you should probably take Extra Revelation as your first or second feat.

Selion
2015-10-05, 04:06 AM
Nice choice, fortune and misfortune are broken abilities :)
If you hate your master focus on one shot spells, like hold person, and use misfortune to make the enemy reroll their TS

Amphetryon
2015-10-11, 07:19 AM
Nice choice, fortune and misfortune are broken abilities :)
If you hate your master focus on one shot spells, like hold person, and use misfortune to make the enemy reroll their TS

If I hate my DM, I'm hating myself. As I said, she's for a new PF campaign I'm about to run.

Psyren
2015-10-11, 09:18 AM
So, did you pick Channel as the first revelation, or Misfortune? Both are good choices.