PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Monstrous race/subclass combinations. Trolls! Slaadi! Yuan-ti! Harpies!

Rfkannen
2015-10-04, 06:34 PM
Presented here are the first drafts of several combination races/subclasses that let you play powerful monsters that might be to powerful to have as a normal race, or would not be satisfying enough. So I decided to make them combinations of races alongside subclasses, similar to those monster classes in 3.5. What do you think? How are they? Any more I should do? If I did it badly, is it still a good idea?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trolls

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/e/e6/4e_trolls.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20081013203531

Trolls are a race of giant kin known for their regenerative ability. Thought to be stupid by the other giant races, trolls are indeed rather primitive, relying more on brute strength and regeneration than intellect, though they are still capable of complex thought like any other race.

The troll racial class is designed so that you can play a troll without taking a single level of the racial class and still feel fairly trolly. The subclass does help them though, and works to make it so that you get the most trolly troll possible. The subclass can be played with other races, though it might need some adaption. It could be played as someone who learned the secrets of the trolls, is turning into a troll, or is just capable of regeneration.

Troll race stats
Ability score increase. Your constitution increases by 2 and your strength increases by 1,
age. Trolls mature much faster than humans, regeneration speeding up the growth process, becoming mature at around age 10. However from then on the power of their regeneration lessens cell degradation, making them live up to 1000 years. However trolls tend to be very violent, and so they very rarely live that long.
Alignment. Most trolls are chaotic evil. Troll children are left to raise themselves, and are never taught basic concepts such as empathy, and therefore view themselves as the most important thing, and have little respect for laws. However trolls are capable of learning such concepts and not all trolls have such childhoods.
Size. Trolls at level one are much larger and bulkier than humans, however they are still medium, they are around 9 feet tall. If you take the troll class enough levels to become large you grow to around 12 feet.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision. Thanks to your bestial eyes, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim lights within 60 feet of you as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of grey.
Good nose. You gain proficiency in perception.
Unarmed attacks. You have menacing unarmed attacks, all of which deal 1d8 damage. If you use your claws to attack you deal slashing damage, and if you attack with your both you deal piercing damage. If you have something in your hands you can’t use your claws, and if you have something in your mouth you can’t use your bite.
Regeneration; when you spend hit dice to heal hit points in a short or long rest you add your constitution modifier twice instead of once. In addition you may spend a hit dice to regain a limb or other body part instead of regaining hitpoints.
Languages. Common and giant.

Subraces.
scag.
aquatic adaptation, you can breath underwater and have a swim speed equal to your walking speed. However your regeneration ability works only while underwater. (improved regeneration still works as normal)

moss
yep; yep

Barbarian subclass

Improved regeneration; starting at level 3 your powers of regeneration have been honed to be used in the middle of combat. When you have at least 1 hit point, at the end of your turn you regain hit points equal to your constitution modifier.

Fully grown; starting when you reach level 6 you reach the full size of a troll. You become large, making your unarmed attacks deal 1d12 damage. You may also now use large weapons, which are the same as normal but deal an extra 1d4 damage.

Tracking smell. Starting at level 10, Your sense of smell has heightened to the point where you can track down anything. You have advantage on wisdom(perception) that rely on smell, and once per short rest you can use an attraction to smell out the area, sensing how many living or undead creatures are within one mile. You can not smell constructs, and you can only tell if something is living or undead, no other info is available.

Loathsome Limbs; starting at level 14 you have mastered your body to the level where you can reattach limbs in a second, and detach them just as fast, making them deadly weapons. As a bonus action you can reattach any part of your body that has fallen off. In addition, when you take at least 15 slashing damage you may choose to detach a limb of yours. This limb has 10 hit points and 13 ac. If you sever a leg the leg is unable to attack and has a speed of 5. If you sever an arm it has a speed of 5 and when you attack you may choose to attack with this limb, although you have disadvantage on the attack. You can also sever your head, this head can make a bite attack, but can not move. Also you still see from your head.
Your speed is halved if you are missing a leg, if you lose both legs, you fall prone. If you have both arms, you can crawl, With one arm you can crawl, but only at half speed. With no arms or legs, your speed is 0.
You can only have one copy of a limb at a time, if you regrow a new one the old one dies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Slaadi
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ZwEANUAikAM/VZQxGhnrfpI/AAAAAAAAEd8/BXxP3ZMdnic/s1600/241slaad4e.jpg

Slaad are the physical embodiment of chaos. A race that grows more powerful as age. They resemble frogs

The slaadi race can be played as a green slaad that never goes to another stage of evolution, however in order to really get the green slaad feel you should take at least one level at the begging. The class is designed so that it is assumed that when you reach levels 6 and 14 your dm gives you an opportunity to reach the next stage, such as finding a death slaad’s corpse lying about or going to go kill one. The slaadi subclass is for sorcerers, and is used for slaadi who wish to evolve to the next step of life. It would require a large amount of change but could you be played as a battle ready sorcerer.

Slaadi Race

Ability score Increase, Your strength increases by 2 and your intelligence increases by 1,
Age. Slaadi are born adults and don’t age.
alignment. Slaadi are born as physical embodiment of chaos, most are chaotic. When they reach the stage of death slaadi most go evil as they filled with negative energy, but adventurers are generally strong enough to avoid that.
Size. When you start at level one you are a green slaadi, and are slightly to short to be considered large, being around 8 and a half feet tall. When you become a grey you become smaller but are still medium.
Darkvision. Accustomed to the darkness of limbo you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light and in darkness as if it were di light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of grey.
Slaadi spell resistance. You have advantage on all intelligence, wisdom, and charisma saving throws against magic.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write common and slaad. In addition you can communicate telepathically one way with creatures within 10 feet.
Powerful build. You are treated as one size larger for the purpose of determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can pull, drag, or lift.

Slaadi sorcerer bloodline

Shapeshifter. Starting at level one your sladdi form has shifted, granting you a 1d6 bite attack and a 1d4 claw attack. You also gain the ability to as an action turn into your humanoid form. Your humanoid form is how you would look if you were a member of one of the other player races. You can change back as an action. You lose your bite, claw, and powerful build unless the race you choose has them.

Slaadi smoothness. Starting at first level your flesh becomes tougher, granting it so that when you wear no armor your ac equals 13+your charisma modifier.

Level 6. Grey slaadi. At this level you have transmogrified into a grey slad.
You lose powerful build.
all weapon attacks you make, including those with your natural weapons, are magic.
You gain proficiency in greatswords

Extra attack. Starting at level 6 you may also attack twice, instead of once, when you make the attack action on your turn.

level 14. Death slaadi.
At this level you have become a death slaadi. You may only take this level after you eat a death slaadi, but it is presumed your dm gives you the opertunity to get death slaadi flesh.

Your telepathies range increases to 60 feet.
Your bite increases to 2d6
your claws increase to 1d6

Regeneration
Starting at 18th level, when you cast one of the spells that the death slaadi in the monster manual can cast, you regain hit points equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum +1) + the spell’s level.

Yuan-Ti Abomination
http://www.aidedd.org/dnd/images/yuantiAbomination.jpg

Yuan-ti abominations are the highest rank in Yuan-ti society. They are large snake men.

Yuan-ti abominations are very powerful, however the base race could be played as a young yuan-ti who doesn’t get old enough during the course of the game to become full sized or more powerful. The subrace over the course of up to level 15 gets you up to around the power level of a full grown yuan-ti abomination as well as the power of a fighter. Any levels above that are fully for skill. If you change the level 15 ability you could play this subclass as a snake themed poisoners.

Yuan-Ti abomination race
Ability score increase, your strength increases by 2, your constitution increases by 1,
Age. A yuan-ti abominations reach physical maturity at around the same age as humans, they live to around 750 years old.
darkvision. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of grey
yuan-ti cunning; you have advantage on all intelligence, wisdom, and charisma saving throws against magic.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write, common, dragonic, and abysal
Speed. Your base walking speed is 35 feet.
Bite. You have a 1d4 bite attack you are proficient in.
Shapeshifting. As an action you can turn into a snake of the same size as you. You can turn back as an action as well. Your stats are the same except you don’t have arms so you can’t do anything that requires arms. Your armor does not change with you, and you can not do this while wearing heavy armor.

Fighter subclass

Scaled defense. Your scales are as tough as armor. Starting at level 3 while you are not wearing any armor your armor class equals 10+your dexterity modifier+your constitution modifier.

Poison spit. Starting at level 7 you have poisonous spit. As an action you can spit on your weapons, which are treated as if you applied basic poison. Your bite attack is always treated as if it were poisoned by basic poison. You are immune to any poison you make.

Yuan-ti spellcasting. Starting at level 10 you gain some spellcasting ability.
you’re spellcasting modifier for these spells is charisma
you can cast animal friendship at will, however it only works on snakes
you can cast suggestion 3 times for day
you can cast fear once per day

Growth. You are finally a fully grown yuan-ti abomination
Starting at level 15 Your size increases to large, your bit attack becomes 1d6 and weapons built your size you can weild and deal an extra 1d4 damage.

Constrict. Starting at level 15 When you grapple someone your arms are free and while they are grappled they take 1d4 bludgeoning damage and your arms are free. You can only constrict one person at a time.

Improved shapeshifting. Starting at level 18 you have mastered your innate shapeshifting. Every time you choose your snake form you can pick what size it is, any from tiny to large. In addition you can change into the form of any small, medium or large humanoid, your stats are the same besides stat here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harpy

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/eberron/images/0/00/Harpy_by_DaveAllsop.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130715200546

Harpies are a race of bird women who charm people

The harpy race is just used to get you up to snuff for the class, but it could be played as some sort of bird person who has damaged wings. The subclass should be taken up to level 14 to get the full feel of a harpy. The subrace with some minor changes could be a charm based bards.

Race
Ability score incense. your dexterity increases by 2. Your constitution increases by 1.
age. As half elf
alignment. Most harpies are chaotic evil
Size. As human, medium
Speed. Your walking speed is 20 feet.
Darkvision
Singing; proficient in the performance skill
Wings. You have wings, they are to weak to fly yet but you can hit people with them, dealing 1d4 damage. Because of these you don’t take fall damage and fall at a quarter of the rate of other people, and can controll your direction while you fall.
Claws; you have a 1d4 claw attack.
Charm proof. Being so good at charming people, you are resistant to charms. You have advantage on saveing throws against getting charmed

Bard college

Musical disguise.- Starting at level 3 as long as you are making noise people that are looking at you see exactly what you want them to see. This works as disguise self that works as long as you are talking and you can cast as many times as you want. This fades if you stop talking for more than 6 seconds.

Luring song. Once per long rest you may make a luring song. When you make a luring song every humanoid and giant within 300 feet of the harpy that can hear the song must succeed on wisdom saving throw equal to your spellcasting dc or be charmed until the song ends. You must take a bonus action on its subsequent turns to continue singing. It can stop singing at any time. The song if you are incapacitated.
While charmed by you the targets are incapacitated and ignore other harpy’s songs. If the charmed target is more than 5 feet away from you, the take takes the dash action to move towards you in the most direct route. It doesn’t avoid opportunity attacks, but before moving into damaging, terrain, such as lava or pit, and whenever it takes damage from a source other than you the target can make another saving throw. The targets can also repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns. If a creature's saving throw is successful, the effect ends on it.
A target that successfully saves is immune to your luring song for the next 24 hours.

Fully fledged wings. Starting at level 14 your wings are strong enough to give you a flying speed of 70 feet.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How do you think I did? What would you change? What races do you want me to do?

mictrepanier
2015-10-05, 11:58 AM
It looks like my work found here
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?400330-Monsters-as-Races-The-Doppelganger-Troll-Satyr-Medusa-Minotaur-and-Succubus

, but less MM bounded. I have to check the balance using Catadon work (I guess large at level 6 came from him).

So I understand the monster abilities are replacing regular archetypes features ?

1) Troll

the level 1 troll is OP. Perception skill should be for smell only, and aquatic sub-race features are in addition to regular level1 allowance. I would reduce unarmed to d6 and remove 1 point in strenght.

Regeneration in combat is also OP. Swap level 4 and level 10 features and it should be more on par...

Level 6 unarmed should be 1d10. The +1d4 to weapon damage is fine.

Level 14 ability is weird... You want the parts to help the troll, granting advantage to combat rolls ? It is on par as per the arcane trickster ability, then fine!

Rfkannen
2015-10-05, 02:52 PM
It looks like my work found here
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?400330-Monsters-as-Races-The-Doppelganger-Troll-Satyr-Medusa-Minotaur-and-Succubus

, but less MM bounded. I have to check the balance using Catadon work (I guess large at level 6 came from him).

So I understand the monster abilities are replacing regular archetypes features ?

1) Troll

the level 1 troll is OP. Perception skill should be for smell only, and aquatic sub-race features are in addition to regular level1 allowance. I would reduce unarmed to d6 and remove 1 point in strenght.

Regeneration in combat is also OP. Swap level 4 and level 10 features and it should be more on par...

Level 6 unarmed should be 1d10. The +1d4 to weapon damage is fine.

Level 14 ability is weird... You want the parts to help the troll, granting advantage to combat rolls ? It is on par as per the arcane trickster ability, then fine!

Oh cool I hadn't seen your work, It is very good! I had considered doing races as full classes like you, but I decided that that would be harder to balance and would restrict people from capstones, so I just did subclasses. I think bolth work, I just wanted to try it this way. I think I want to keep the +2 str, but I will reduce the unarmed strike. How does this sound as a subclass;

you lose 10 feet of movement on land but you have a swim speed equal to your land speed+10 and can breath underwater, however you don't gain the benifit of regeneration unless you are underwater.

what is catadon work? I was not inspired by it as I don't know what that is.

yeah they are supposed to be normal archetypes.

Reason I gave regeneration was it was based off the regeneration of the immortal from the unearthed arcana, but it is turned down a bit from that. So I think it is fairly balanced, since it is weaker than than the wotc material. Also, didn't you also give regeneration in combat?

You know, I liked loathsome limbs when I made it, but I am not so sure now. The other abilities were to work for the fantasy of the troll, but loathsome limbs was just supposed to fit the variant. I am not satisfied with it. The troll is supposed to be a big, practically immortal, brute, not a tactical limb thrower. I am going to think of something to replace that, maybe growing huge? Nah that isn't right, but something else.

mictrepanier
2015-10-06, 09:42 AM
what is catadon work? I was not inspired by it as I don't know what that is.

http://community.wizards.com/forum/dungeon-master-help/threads/4234921?page=2#comment-52469316

He will move it elsewhere when the forum will close..
minus: not the MM race

minus: High Join Level adjustment races will maybe not be replicated correctly. I'll rework my 7-8 races on Enworld ang Giantip.

Plusses: Archetypes are way easier to balance than my work or Catadon's

Plusses: It is possible to use the race features as sub-classes for more than 1 class. See Quickleaf work (and mine as a supporter) herehttp://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?394575-Swashbuckler-and-Ship-Mage-%28new-archetypes%29

Plusses: No debate as I had earlier with Catodon about mandatory Players classes vs full monster classes. I still consider no JL better if I could, even after 50+ hours of work on it

Plusses: Catadon system is still a must to balance the monsters sub-classes!

mictrepanier
2015-10-06, 09:51 AM
I just wanted to try it this way. I think I want to keep the +2 str, but I will reduce the unarmed strike.

Still too much with Catodon system points.

you lose 10 feet of movement on land but you have a swim speed equal to your land speed+10 and can breath underwater, however you don't gain the benefit of regeneration unless you are underwater.

Don't forget to add: Acid and fire negates the regeneration. Yes, regen is then nerfed. It worth 3p in Catadon system, plus barbarian HP= a valid class level. The aquatic Troll is fine!

Reason I gave regeneration was it was based off the regeneration of the immortal from the unearthed arcana, but it is turned down a bit from that. So I think it is fairly balanced, since it is weaker than than the wotc material. Also, didn't you also give regeneration in combat?

The immortal has regen only when under half HP. The Troll with 20 CO will get 5 HP a round. Your troll is weaker than MM one but better than the Immortal, even with fire/acid nerf.

You know, I liked loathsome limbs when I made it, but I am not so sure now. The other abilities were to work for the fantasy of the troll, but loathsome limbs was just supposed to fit the variant. I am not satisfied with it. The troll is supposed to be a big, practically immortal, brute, not a tactical limb thrower. I am going to think of something to replace that, maybe growing huge? Nah that isn't right, but something else.

I don't like it neither. The MM mention it as an option. I gave Troll a weapon style based on grapple: free grapple attack when he gets 2 hits during a round on 1 foe (teeth or claws).

Slaadi : well balanced! Of course, it will be OP if the class changed to a fighting class (extra attack at 6th level)...

mictrepanier
2015-10-06, 10:25 AM
From my previous work, adapted as a rogue sub-class (with Catadon points):

Doppelganger – Rogue sub-class

level 1:

Abilities modifiers: Dx +1 (2)

Racial Features (see MM p82):

Shapechanger Better than disguise self spell as it cannot be dispelled and there is no investigation check since the disguise is perfect. Objects are not modified. (6, as warlock invocation worths 4 points)

-Read Thoughs Gives advantage on insight and charisma checks (3)

Condition Immunities: charmed (1)

Minor traits: Darkvision 60' ,

Level 3 Martial arts (4); sneak attack +1d6 (2); natural weapon Slam d6 bludgeon damage (1, only while in natural form -50%), ) 12.5

Level 10 Ambusher : advantage on surprise (2); Surprise attack: +3d6 (3), Detect thoughs once a day (1) 10.5

Level 14 Detect thoughs at will (3) 10.5

mictrepanier
2015-10-06, 10:56 AM
Minotaur (large one) Your system fits well for this one too!

Minotaur Traits

ST +2, Co +1 (6)
Darkvision (0)
Horns: 1d4 piercing and slashing unarmed attack (1)
Labyrinthine Recall-see MM (0)

Minotaur Proficiencies-The minotaur is proficient with all axes and with Perception skill (2.75)

Reckless-see MM (2)

Minotaur as barbarian sub-class

Features (MM p 223)

levels

3 gore damage 2d8 (3.5) (11)
6 charge (4.5) (12)
10 Berserker intimidating presence (10.5)
14 Large (x2 weapon damage) 11.5

mictrepanier
2015-10-06, 12:13 PM
Troll (my own version, with better regen but ... nothing else )

main race as yours. You are right Co +2, St +1 is fine...

Monster class levels:

3 , bite attack d4 (0) , improved regen with nerf: fire/acid restriction+
"if your current hit point total is half or less of your hit point maximum.." (4) (11.5)
6 claws damage raise to d8 (0), Troll fighting style (claw/bite) (3) (10.5)
10 claws damage raise to d10 (1), bite attack raised to d6 (0), regen: +3/round, max 1/2 Max HP (3) (11.5)
14 claw damage 2d6 (0), large (4)- double damage from weapons (11.5)

Fighting style: Troll
- extra attack with "light" natural weapon as the troll mouth
- free grapple feat
- these benefits needs all limbs free.

mictrepanier
2015-10-06, 12:34 PM
Medusa.

Here, I had to completely remove the natural armor. I need fighter 5 levels of sub-classes abilities to fit...

Speed 30 ft.
DX +1, CO +1 (4)
Senses Darkvision 60ft
Size: Medium
Languages Common

Snake Hair: The race has a new striker. Attack action gives 1 piercing damage + 1d6 poison (3)

Petrifying Gaze (Far weaker than the one at MM p214)

As an innate ability and a bonus action, the Medusa can gaze on one creature. The effect is as Hold Person spell, usable once before needing a short rest. This needs no components but the recipicient must see the Medusa as stated in the MM p214 (-1). (5)

Note: I set it to 5 points since this is a bonus action.

As a fighter sub-class

levels:

3 Poison raised to 2d6 ; 3d6 at level 8, 4d6 level 13 (6) (12.5)
7 Weapon style: Extra attack (snake hair) (3) (9.5)
10 Petrifying Gaze effect is as Hold Monster. It is usuable only once before needing a short rest. (6- affects one person, as a 5th level spell with limitations3 levels too fast) (10.5)
15 Petrifying Gaze Hold Monster effect can be used at will as a bonus action and needs no concentration or components (3) (9.5)
18 Petrifying Gaze effect can be as MM p214 (the range is reduced to 30’, affects anyone) (4) (10.5)

mictrepanier
2015-10-06, 02:33 PM
The Harpy

the level 1 race is fine!

Bard college

Musical disguise.- Starting at level 3 as long as you are making noise people that are looking at you see exactly what you want them to see. This works as disguise self that works as long as you are talking and you can cast as many times as you want. This fades if you stop talking for more than 6 seconds.

Compared to the warlock invocation at level 3, it has limitations. Too weak. But level 6 and 14 abilities compensate.

Luring song.

Move it to 14th level. It is really potent if you intend to make it an at-will ability. The warlock has a level 4 spell as an at will invocation at 15th level. Your effect is like antipathy/sympathy, a level 8 spell... The DC is 11 only in MM. Maybe nerf it by giving an easily reachable advantage to opponents ex: background noise over 40 decibels grant advantage ?

Fully fledged wings. Starting at level 14 your wings are strong enough to give you a flying speed of 70 feet.
-
Move it to 6th level and reduce speed to 40' as in the MM. Cannot wear medium armor or more like the Aarokra.

userZynx_name
2015-10-08, 12:54 AM
This is a really cool idea as a replacement for level adjustment!

An issue that mictrepanier didn't point out that I see is a player wanting all of the features of the race, but not wanting the class (for example wanting to play a Harpy Warlock).

With the latest Unearthed Arcana, perhaps a way around this is Prestige Classes?

For example a Harpy Prestige class would be d8 hit die, and have the features you gave for the bard college at the following levels, using mictrepanier's suggestions for changes (Assuming you have to be at least 5th level to take it)
Level 1: Musical Disguise, (maybe something else?)
Level 2: Fully Fledged Wings
Level 3: ???
Level 4: Ability Score Improvement
Level 5: Luring Song (maybe lower its potency?)

Perhaps give it some spell slots and a handful of spells that are harpy themed?