PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed VoP psy war question

morkendi
2015-10-04, 07:55 PM
I just noticed that call weapon says it calls an actual weapon from another location in space and time. Since it is an actual weapon being used, would it violate VoP?

Psychoportation (Teleportation)
Level: Psychic warrior 1
Display: Material
Manifesting Time: 1 round
Range: 0 ft.
Target: One weapon; see text
Duration: 1 min./level; see text (D)
Saving Throw: None
Power Resistance: No
Power Points: 1
You call a weapon “from thin air” into your waiting hand (actually, it is a real weapon hailing from another location in space and time). You don’t have to see or know of a weapon to call it—in fact, you can’t call a specific weapon; you just specify the kind. If you call a projectile weapon, it comes with 3d6 nonmagical bolts, arrows, or sling bullets, as appropriate. The weapon is made of ordinary materials as appropriate for its kind. If you relinquish your grip on the weapon you called for 2 or more consecutive rounds, it automatically returns to wherever it originated.
Weapons gained by call weaponry are distinctive due to their astral glimmer. They are considered magic weapons and thus are effective against damage reduction that requires a magic weapon to overcome.
Augment: For every 4 additional power points you spend, this power improves the weapon’s enhancement bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls by 1.

Rubik
2015-10-04, 07:58 PM
It's the effect of a power, and it's not permanent, so I wouldn't think so.

OldTrees1
2015-10-04, 08:02 PM
Are you asking RAW or DM ruling?

RAW is very explicit about prohibiting the use of magic items (even owned by others) and explicit about this summoned weapon being a magic item before, during, and after it was summoned.

DM rulings would tend to go the other way since "fluff is mutable".

ZamielVanWeber
2015-10-04, 08:02 PM
It's the effect of a power, and it's not permanent, so I wouldn't think so.

It is a real item though. It is implied to be non-magical so calling a weapon that is on the acceptable list, such as a quarter staff, should be fine.

morkendi
2015-10-04, 08:08 PM
They are considered magic weapons and thus are effective against damage reduction that requires a magic weapon to overcome. So it is a real magic weapon, so any would violate vow?

Rubik
2015-10-04, 08:13 PM
It's like an improved Shillelagh/Greater Magic Weapon spell that also summons the weapon the spell enhances. Sure, it's a weapon, and it's magical (or in this case, psionic), but it's not inherently magical because it's a spell enhancing it temporarily. So, as noted earlier, if it's a simple weapon, it should be fine if a nonmagical weapon enhanced by the above spells is okay to wield.

OldTrees1
2015-10-04, 08:31 PM
It's like an improved Shillelagh/Greater Magic Weapon spell that also summons the weapon the spell enhances. Sure, it's a weapon, and it's magical (or in this case, psionic), but it's not inherently magical because it's a spell enhancing it temporarily. So, as noted earlier, if it's a simple weapon, it should be fine if a nonmagical weapon enhanced by the above spells is okay to wield.

Strange, I read it as summoning an enhanced weapon rather than enhancing a summoned weapon.

Either way, I see no reason to rule against it.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-10-04, 08:49 PM
Be sure to use Soulbound Weapon (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a) if you're going this route!

Rubik
2015-10-04, 08:53 PM
Strange, I read it as summoning an enhanced weapon rather than enhancing a summoned weapon.

Either way, I see no reason to rule against it.Well, it's definitely being summoned, and it's enhanced when it gets to you. Thing is, there's no way that I know of to reduce an enhancement on a weapon; once that +1 equivalent is there, it's always there, meaning that if you summoned your soulbound quarterstaff as a +1 flaming quarterstaff the first time, it should always be a +1 flaming quarterstaff thereafter, with additional effects tacked on (which would then become permanent). But the power allows you to change the enhancements on your weapon every time you summon it, meaning it must be the power itself adding temporary enhancements. Otherwise, I don't see that it could work.