PDA

View Full Version : Alacritous Cogitation -> Ultimate Magus?

lotofsnow
2007-05-20, 10:00 AM
Would the Alacritous Cogitation feat allow a Wizard to fulfill the "able to spontaneously cast 1st-level arcane spells" requirement for the Ultimate Magus PrC? If so, would it be worth it to take levels in Ultimate Magus?

Technically, you'd increase your casting level with Wizard even on the levels that state "+1 level of lower-level existing arcane casting class" because Wizard, being your only arcane casting class, is your lowest.

Essentially, it would be like continuing your levels in Wizard (Including occasional bonus feats), but increasing your effective casting level +4 by 10th level in Ultimate Magus (due to Arcane Spellpower). You wouldn't really receive any benefit from Expanded Spell Knowledge, unless, of course, you are able to convince your DM to just let you add an additional spell to your spellbook on those levels. Augmented Casting really wouldn't be useful at all.

Impossible? Viable? Worthwhile?

Jack_Simth
2007-05-20, 10:23 AM
Technically legal, but falls under the heading of:

"DM hits you with a big sourcebook on the head, then burns the character sheet"

Alternately, as specific interpertations are DM call, the DM addes the "lower level" segments to your Sorcerer level of "-", which means you lose Wizard caster levels.

At least you're not trying to say you get 17 levels of spell progression over the course of a 10 level PrC (which some muchkins might claim).

It technically also works the other way with Arcane Preparation.

Emperor Tippy
2007-05-20, 11:15 AM
It works. But you do only get the +1 to CL. And it is better than regular straight wizard, but their are other PrC's out their that are a better investment for most builds.

Douglas
2007-05-20, 01:45 PM
It technically also works the other way with Arcane Preparation.
Actually, no. Unlike Mage of the Arcane Order, Ultimate Magus specifies that the preparation must be from a spellbook.

Jack_Simth
2007-05-20, 02:04 PM
Actually, no. Unlike Mage of the Arcane Order, Ultimate Magus specifies that the preparation must be from a spellbook.
Ah, good point.

IonizedChicken
2007-05-20, 05:11 PM
I understand you could do that, yes, but I don't see why you shouldn't just go Practiced Spellcaster. You'll receive much more benefit from the prestige class that way.

Jack_Smith:
How is claiming the prestige class gives you 17 caster level progression being a "munchkin"? From what I understand, the argument for it is perfectly RAW. And this is, after all, a RAW issue (since we're discussing the meaning of the rules, not whether it's fine to use them as written).

Khoran
2007-05-20, 05:30 PM
Personally, my gut tells me it's cheating and not supposed to work like that.

Jack_Simth
2007-05-20, 05:35 PM
Jack_Smith:
How is claiming the prestige class gives you 17 caster level progression being a "munchkin"? From what I understand, the argument for it is perfectly RAW. And this is, after all, a RAW issue (since we're discussing the meaning of the rules, not whether it's fine to use them as written).

My understanding of Munkinism is that it's doing things to break the power curve in the munchkin's favor - infinite stat boost loops, hiring castings of Wall of Iron to use the iron produced as a trade good, Infinite Wish Loops, and so on.

If you bring about a way that, at level 10, you have spell slots as a Wizard-13 with the caster level of a Wizard-15, you're well ahead of the power curve. When at level 15 you're casting as a Wizard-22 with a caster level of a Wizard-26, you're definately into muchkin territory - technically valid or not.

Jack Mann
2007-05-20, 05:56 PM
Yes, but there's a difference between saying something is possible and actually doing it. Claiming that a prestige class does something broken is not munchkinism, it's simple observation. You're only a munchkin if you actually use the exploit.

I mean, I can point out that shivering touch can one-shot most dragons. I'm not a munchkin unless I actually use it.

IonizedChicken
2007-05-20, 06:14 PM
Indeed. As Jack Mann said, there is a difference between saying X does Y and actually doing Y according to X.

While I believe the the prestige class would grant you Wiz-22 casting at 15th level, I would not allow a player to create a character that exploits the rules this way (nor would I make it myself). In fact, I would probably disallow the feat altogether.

Similarly, I believe the Manipulate Form ability works as written. I just wouldn't allow it to be used.

Emperor Tippy
2007-05-20, 06:27 PM
No feat woudl allow you to get 22 casting levels. No Prestige class would either.

The only way to do it is with the Alternate Class Feature in Complete Champion.

Wizard isn't your spontaneous casting class if you get spontaneous casting through a feat.

The only RAW legal way to cast as a level 22 wizard at level 15 is with the CC alternate class feature. Nothing else published works.

Dark_Wind
2007-05-20, 06:45 PM
The only RAW legal way to cast as a level 22 wizard at level 15 is with the CC alternate class feature. Nothing else published works.

The fact that there is a RAW legal way to pull that crap at all makes me sad. Seriously, the folks over at WotC need to playtest their stuff better.

MeklorIlavator
2007-05-20, 06:49 PM
The fact that there is a RAW legal way to pull that crap at all makes me sad. Seriously, the folks over at WotC need to playtest their stuff better.

Actually, they only need to fact check it better. Playtesting would reveal how bad the break is, but fact checking would show that their is a break in the first place.