PDA

View Full Version : The Castle Below

Deadly
2007-05-20, 11:00 AM
Somewhere far beneath the Town, in the eternal darkness of the deepest underdark where even the most daring Drow would think twice about going, a castle of purest darkness and malice rises in a large cavern. It is a seemingly simple castle with a slightly curved design and low central tower. The castle and it's circular courtyard is surrounded by a thick stone wall and a large gate. In the center of the courtyard stands a withered, dark tree and off to the side, to the left of the gate stands a grotesque, demonlike statue in a circle of arcane runes. There are no signs of life or movement anywhere outside. Everything is eerily still. The bone-chilling feeling that something is here, watching and waiting, is eminent however.

Characters revealed so far
Kardice: Master of the Castle... or is he?

Xian: Who, or what, is this mysterious voice? You may never know...

Rena: Who is this charismatic woman, and what is she up to in Town?

Ixacal: An enigmatic yuan-ti... doesn't seem to like Rena

Anaris: A real charming one

Asthor: The tin can man

Lydis: A lovely elven queen

Cheon: Old Mr. Squiddy

Tebryn: Yet to be seen

Magical effects
The entire castle and courtyard is Unhallowed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/unhallow.htm), with the Silence effect (the silence affects only non-evil beings)

The entire area is under the effect of Screen (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/screen.htm), making it look like just an empty cave to observers and scrying attempts.

The entire castle, but not the courtyard, is under the effect of Forbiddance (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/forbiddance.htm). The alignment is Neutral Evil, and all residents of the castle know the password.

Other effects may apply in certain places, or may be quiescent.

((More details coming as the plot moves forward))

Deadly
2007-05-20, 11:01 AM
Deep within the castle, in a large dining hall, two figures are discussing something. One of the figures, an elderly man in fine black robes, sits at the large dining table, eating quietly. His left hand, stripped of all flesh and adorned with dark red jewels, lies still on the table.

The other figure, a woman almost entirely obscured by shadows, stands nearby. My studies are nearly complete. All I need is your aid for the final part. It will not fail. she says and crosses her arms.

The man continues to eat, not looking up at her It has every chance of failing, Akiya. While your studies are impressive, and your idea intriguing, you should not underestimate the power of your enemies. I am not even convinced that it would be possible to pull off such a ritual, it has not been done for millenia, and even then it was on a smaller scale and under far different conditions.

Akiya frowns Once we have the tablet we'll know that for sure. All I need is that damn tablet, a little more time, and your aid. You have the resources that I need, together we can gather enough power.

The man remains silent for a while, considering the proposal, then he puts his food aside and leans back in his chair Where do you say this stone tablet is now? he asks. Akiya watches him On the astral plane, in the possession of some abjurer. Achim is his name. The man nods And what will you need of us exactly?

Akiya frowns I need that tablet first of all, I won't get much further with my studies without it. And I need someone to keep an eye on possible meddlers, my sister and her friends in particular, as well as gather information on them. Oh, and find that betraying bastard Laeral too. He knows too much.

The man smirks, his voice changing slightly, growing deeper and more sinister Ah yes, love, the greatest weakness of the flesh. You really should have just left him dead, but your heart makes you weak, like any mortal.

Akiya scowls at him. I never loved him, I used him because he amused me, that's all! Love is for fools.

If you say so, Akiya. the man says and looks at her, his voice changing back Regardless, we will do what you ask. We will retrieve the tablet for you, and keep an eye on your enemies. This little scheme of yours should prove entertaining, I think. he says and waves his hand dismissively Now, if you'll excuse me, I believe you have some studies to do.

Akiya nods Thank you, Master Kardice. I shall not fail. she says, then turns around and leaves the room. The man smiles and sips a glass of wine, then after a while he gets up Bring me Anaris and Rena, I have some tasks to discuss with them. he says to the empty room before walking out.

Deadly
2007-05-21, 09:33 AM
Within a small, dark library hidden somewhere in the castle, the elderly man, Kardice, sits at a small table. His skeletal hand quickly moves through the pages of a large tome, gently touching the pages as if feeling each word inscribed upon them. Kardice himself, however, seems to have most of his attention on a slender woman draped in dark and vivid green. Her skin is that of a snake, and her eyes glow fiercely red as they watch the skeletal hand move through the pages. I do not see how you trust Rena, Master. The people of the Town are powerful, they will see through her flimsy illusions and charms. Not to mention how unpredictable she is.

Kardice smiles You worry yourself too much with Rena, my dear Ixacal. I admit, she is hard to control, but she has never failed me before. he says and takes a glass of wine with his normal hand.

Ixacal frowns This scheme of Akiya's that you've gotten us involved in is too dangerous and risky to leave in the hands of someone as incompetent and worthless as Rena. You should have left it to me, Master.

Kardice smiles, and his voice changes briefly Sweet Ixacal, always the jealous one, sometimes I almost think there's still a heart in there. If it pleases you, I shall let you be the one to destroy Rena... should she fail.

Ixacal smirks a bit, although it only barely covers the frown Lord Xian, you honor me. I don't think it shall be long before she does, Luck can't grace her with victory forever... I shall enjoy her end immensely. she says and walks away gracefully.

Kardice smirks and sips his wine, the skeletal hand resting on the book. Sometimes a little luck is all you need to get the job done. The skeletal hand resumes flipping through the tome And when that's not enough, you make your own luck.

Deadly
2007-05-22, 08:57 AM
A man walks briskly across the courtyard towards the grotesque statue near the gates. His skin is like silver, his hair white and his eyes veiled, making him look eery and ghostlike in the darkness. He is wearing a silvery plate mail, unusually light and flexible and almost unnaturally shiny and free from dirt or grime. On his right hand he wears a metal gauntlet, of the same shiny metal, while his left hand is free. The left hand has a slightly demonic claw-like look to it. At his side he carries a sword, looking fairly regular. It is seemingly the only weapon he carries.

As he reaches the statue he stops and inspects it. In the shifting shadows it almost seems to be moving slightly. The man frowns and turns his attention to the arcane runes Damn this place... too much magical energy interfering. he mutters and begins to retrace the glowing runes while muttering on about never having a moments peace, only stopping his complaining once in a while to chant a few words of power.

Another man appears a bit away. This one looks a lot like your classic master vampire, slick black hair, pale skin, rough feral appearance and clothed in black. A woman appears behind him, she looks like an elven queen, but her skin is withered and her empty eyes glow fiercely red. She stands perfectly still in the darkness, watching silently.

The man crosses his arms and watches the armored one with a smirk Ah, I knew I only had to follow the trail of curses and complaints to find you, dear Asthor. A lovely night, isn't it?

The armored man, Asthor apparently, turns around and glares at the others Your stench disrupt my work, Anaris. What do you want? he says, his tone lighter than his words. Anaris smiles and walks over to Asthor. The elven woman remains still I just thought... it was a lovely night for a little prowl, and then I thought of you, old friend. he smiles and stops just a few inches from Asthor, looking him over with a smirk I thought perhaps you'd like to join Lydis and I on a little hunt... on the astral plane. We're going to play pirates, it'll be fun.

Asthor smiles a bit, very slightly Oh really... and finishes tracing the last rune with a rush of magic as the statue snaps still. Let's go! Arrr! That's the spirit! Anaris grins and steps back. They all disappear.

Inside the castle, Akiya and Kardice are walking through a long, dark corridor. I have sent Anaris off to fetch the stone tablet. He's taking Asthor and Lydis with him, they should have no problems with whatever resitance that mage puts up. Akiya nods distractedly Good.

Kardice looks at her briefly So, what bothers you? Akiya frowns There are too many meddlers, too many who know too much. I won't have it. I won't allow them to ruin my plans. They must be destroyed, all of them! Kardice smiles Such hate. We will naturally do what needs to be done to assure everything goes as planned. You, my dear Akiya, need worry yourself only with your studies, while we take care of the rest.

Akiya frowns but nods as they disappear deeper into the castle Yes, Master.

Deadly
2007-05-23, 12:21 PM
Once again focus turns to Kardice. He is standing at one side of a large chessboard, looking intently at the pieces. Across the board stands a dark illithid, it's flesh dry and it's eyes sunken. It watches calmly as the pieces move around on the board, in and out between each other at a pace that almost makes it look like they're all moving at the same time. You're having fun, I see. the illithid looks at Kardice, who stares at the moving pieces

Indeed I am. I am always up for a challenge, and Akiya did pose an interresting one. Now that we have the stone, she should be able to finish her studies. I am honestly looking forward to seeing her result. The pieces stop moving briefly before resuming the battle. The illithid watches the pieces And the meddlers... you're making a diversion?

Kardice frowns a bit at the game Yes. Sometimes it's best to let your enemy think they know what's going on. Our only problem is Laeral. Akiya let him get too close to her, a foolish romance that might cost her dearly.

The illithid looks up at him as the pieces stop moving Checkmate. Again. Kardice shakes his head and looks up I will beat you some day, Cheon, you can be sure of that. The illithid mentally laughs You're too easy to read. Too predictable. As for Akiya, she's just like all her kind. So what is your plan for this Laeral?

Kardice smirks as the pieces reset themselves I think perhaps it's time for a little... mind game. Don't you agree, Squidface? The illithid flicks it's tentacles at him as the pieces begin to move again

Deadly
2007-05-24, 06:54 AM
Kardice stands over a dark pool, showing the Town, his skeletal hand resting on the edge of the large stone pool. Behind him stands Cheon, somewhat in the dark. I am still a bit worried about your approach to this problem, Lord Xian. The meddlers know too much and are catching up too quickly. Akiya needs time to complete her studies, and we need time to set up the ritual, not to mention that the rituals will require a lot of time as well. If things continue as they have the last couple of days, the meddlers will have caught up on what's going on long before we even get started.

Kardice continues to watch the pool as the image shifts a bit The situation was problematic from the beginning. Akiya's defeat revealed too much too early. Attacking them and trying to get rid of them is not an option, that would only draw more attention to us, you know that. You also know that a direct assault would be doomed to failure from the start.

Cheon strokes a tentacle thoughtfully with a hand True, but attacking the ship was a foolish move. It is only a matter of time before they realise what was taken, not to mention that they're now aware of atleast Asthor.

Kardice waves a hand over the water and the image shifts a few times, showing now a bleak and horrible landscape And that is what we will use to our advantage. They may know too much, but it won't help them if they follow the wrong track. Asthor already has his orders, if all goes well we won't have to worry about them anymore.

Cheon's sunken, lidless eyes stare at the pool Oh... I see. That will be a sight.

Kardice smirks and turns to Cheon We will lay low for a while now. Asthor and his... unique lineage will do what needs to be done, and it is best if we don't draw more attention to ourselves. Call back Rena, she won't be needed for now, and get Tebryn to work on strengthening our forces. As for you, I need you to make sure Laeral does his part.

Cheon nods As you wish. I'll poke his memory a bit. he says and turns around to leave. Kardice smiles and turns to watch the pool again.