PDA

View Full Version : Spoopy Adventures

FocusWolf413
2015-10-05, 01:16 AM
Hey everyone! It's October, and that means super spoopified Halloween adventures. Does anyone have any creepy, scary, or just downright odd rpg stories to tell?

I'll start with an idea that I've had for a while. Someone I know wants to use the general theme for a campaign idea, but I doubt he's going to use most of the details.

On a clear, crisp autumn night deep in the pine forest outside of a mining town, something falls from the sky. It screams down from the heavens with pale blue fire and silently explodes into a flash of cold, pure, empty white light. People from the town wonder what happened, but wisely choose to wait until dawn to venture into the woods. A group of five experienced hunters set off towards the site of the explosion and do not return.

The miners grow worried and the mayor sets out a call for investigators. Eventually, the party shows up. Some are in it for gold, some are in it for the adventure, and some want to know what in the nine hells happened in those woods. After two days in town, the well equipped party sets out towards the site of the explosion.

Around ten miles out of the city, the party's ranger or druid notices some trees that stand out. They are white and gray, with no leaves, bark, or mold. They stand in small circles of gray dust.

As the party progresses deeper into the forest, those strange trees become more frequent. Not long after, the party enters dead woods. Everything is bone white and lifeless. The grasses have lost their color, the trees have all lost their leaves and bark, and the layer of dead leaves that usually covers the ground have disintegrated into a fine white powder. Everything is still, everything is dead, everthing is silent. Not even the wind moves.

If someone detects magic at this point, they would notice a very faint necromantic haze covering everything that grows stronger the deeper they go.

After another ten minutes of walking, the party starts to see bones. At first, they notice the immaculate skeletons of a rabbit or squirrel, but they soon start to see other, larger skeletons. An intelligence, nature, heal, or survival check reveals that the animals seemed to have just dropped dead; their soft tissues turned to dust around their skeletons.

If the party continues deeper, they eventually find the bodies of the hunters. The corpses aren't like the others. Although their bodies are completely desiccated, their soft tissues still exist. No decomposition is evident. A perception check reveals that all of the men have a couple tiny puncture wounds on major arteries and the blood was drained from them.

If the party still does deeper, they find a tree that stands out. Its bark is flaky, its limbs are gnarled, and its leaves are the color of graphite. It slowly oozes sap with the color and consistency of crude oil. The ground around it is drenched with blood. Any rangers or druids must make saves versus nausea. The tree radiates a powerful necromantic aura, but it has a different flavor and texture than the forest's aura. Once the party turns away, a dryad, covered in the same oily sap, attacks them. It uses sneak attacks with constitution poison and bleed damage to try to drain the life from them.

If the party tries to leave, they must make perception checks to notice movement around them. Once they get within half a mile of the edge of the dead woods, they spot a single dryad. She is gaunt, her skin is pulled tight, and she looks as desiccated as the corpses of the woodsmen. She talks ro the party with a hollow, whispy voice, explaining to them that the forest needs life. She asks them to follow her back into the woods. If they resist, they are attacked by three pixies (or other appropriate fey) wielding daggers. They try to dose the party with poisons that knock them out. If they comply, she leads them into the center of the woods.

If at any time the party rests, make whoever is standing watch roll one perception check per party member, plus himself. If he succeeds, he can warn the party before they're dosed with poison to keep them knocked out. There is one pixie or level appropriate fey per member.

Somehow, the party reaches the center of the dead zone. This area radiates strong enough necromantic energy that the area glows with cold white light. Creatures take one point of negative energy damage per five rounds. There is a hole in the ground with a five foot radius. Light bubbles from it, but does not illuminate anything. The fey, all gaunt and desiccated, claim that "it needs life, it needs blood, for the forest to come back." If the fey aren't convinced by the party that the forest is being warped by "it," they attempt to sacrifice the party. If they are, they move back twenty feet and watch the party.

In the hole, there is a creature. It looks something like a mixture between an elf, a troll, and a vampire. It stands fifteen feet tall, has long, spindly limbs, long fangs, pointed backswept ears, and black eyes. It communicates telepathically with the party. It lets out a barrage of charm or other enchantment spells in order to attempt to force the party to sacrifice themselves. It uses necromantic energy to feed off of their life force. It can only be killed with positive energy.

If it is killed, the fey do not change much. They let the party leave, but still prey on anyone else who enters the forest. If the party attacks the fey, they are constantly hounded in a slow battle of attrition. Eventually, the party must flee. If the party attempts to set fire to the forest, surrounding fey again attack, but the party is not tailed. Everything screams as the party flees the quickly spreading inferno. Only by killing the creature and torching the woods does the party end the threat.

I'm still putting together details, but I like it.

What about you guys? Do you have any fun stories to share?

ekarney
2015-10-05, 04:43 AM
Hey everyone! It's October, and that means super spoopified Halloween adventures. Does anyone have any creepy, scary, or just downright odd rpg stories to tell?

I'll start with an idea that I've had for a while. Someone I know wants to use the general theme for a campaign idea, but I doubt he's going to use most of the details.

Honestly, I'm contemplating running a one off session for my own players on Halloween using a very corny skeleton war idea with homebrew classes in an e6 setting. 'll be doing some concepting tomorrow if you're interested?

Also if you want a serious, very creepy style adventure then I'm also your man from that, surrealist horror is my speciality.

FocusWolf413
2015-10-05, 06:03 AM
Honestly, I'm contemplating running a one off session for my own players on Halloween using a very corny skeleton war idea with homebrew classes in an e6 setting. 'll be doing some concepting tomorrow if you're interested?

Also if you want a serious, very creepy style adventure then I'm also your man from that, surrealist horror is my speciality.

This is a thread for the creepy, weird, and strange. By all means, feel free to share them.

Aegis013
2015-10-05, 12:11 PM
I can't take credit for this idea, but one of the best I've seen was a kind of horror-survival adventure, but the it was played by candlelight. Each player had a single candle and there were no other light sources in the room.

So the DM utilized a lot of passing notes to players and vice-versa so that players wouldn't know exactly what was going on with other characters.

He'd use traps to separate the player characters and then when the character died, the player was simply supposed to blow out their candle.

So as the session goes on, the candle lights slowly get blown out one by one, until the only one left is the DM's candle. At that point, since the session is over, the DM blows out his candle.

FocusWolf413
2015-10-05, 12:34 PM
I can't take credit for this idea, but one of the best I've seen was a kind of horror-survival adventure, but the it was played by candlelight. Each player had a single candle and there were no other light sources in the room.

So the DM utilized a lot of passing notes to players and vice-versa so that players wouldn't know exactly what was going on with other characters.

He'd use traps to separate the player characters and then when the character died, the player was simply supposed to blow out their candle.

So as the session goes on, the candle lights slowly get blown out one by one, until the only one left is the DM's candle. At that point, since the session is over, the DM blows out his candle.

Woah. That sounds incredible.

Strigon
2015-10-05, 02:39 PM
Last year I made a Halloween one-shot for my players, which was very different from the way I normally do things.
First off, it was quite railroady; there was a sequence of plot points that would be followed in order, and my players were okay with that.
Secondly, throughout the session there would be homebrew magic items with a Halloween theme to them. These items could be kept, permanently, so that they could keep a certain number of them with each of their characters, and they would scale up with level (Each artifact had a certain point value associated with it; they essentially bought these items at character creation with a 10-point budget.).
Finally, it was filled with cliches. I really didn't have time to make a convincing and unique plot, while trying to figure out if it would last a whole session (or even fit into one session) so I forgot about making it unique and just wrote down ideas as I hear them.

PC's (level 5) walk into town; overcast, early noon. It's a farming town around harvest time. They've heard of trouble, and are here to help.
They talk to locals, hear about legends of an "ancient evil", and also learn that they haven't heard from a certain farmer recently.
They investigate the farmer's place, and are attacked by animated scarecrows.
They find their first magic item here, along with some health potions refluffed to be Halloween-esque. There's also a note talking about one of the farmer's friends.
Friend points them to a hermit who lives in the woods outside town, who apparently knows a lot about this ancient evil.
The sun sets unnaturally fast while this is happening; it's well past sundown as they go through the woods.
The hermit lives in a shack, which has a circle of protection against evil around it. When they arrive, he helpfully gives exposition.
Generic story of power-crazed warlock, killed in pumpkin patch outside town, vows vengeance, blah-blah-blah.
That's all he knows; they need to go to the library to find out exactly where and how to stop him.
Huge animated tree attacks, helped by assassin vines and maybe a couple of other creatures. Second large loot stash is here.
Storm has brewed outside; when the enter the (mostly ruined) library, a tree blocks the exit. Every round, there is a 50% chance of 1D4 + 1 Grey Oozes come out of the woodworks. The party must make Gather Information/Search checks while fighting off the oozes; they can only do one per round. Once the total check reaches 150, they have all the information they need; third large loot stash.
Before they finish, the windows break and the library starts flooding. The only safe way out is through the sewers that run underneath.
In the sewers (which have also started flooding, but they have quite some time before it becomes an issue), they have to find a way out. There are several, tied to Search, Strength, and lockpicking. There's also a Mohrg down there with them, which wanders around in the darkness, picking them off one by one as it encounters them. Also, another loot stash.
Once they get out, they fight the BBEG; a human Warlock with this template (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Headless_One_%283.5e_Template%29). It takes place in a pumpkin patch, hampering movement and giving the Warlock an advantage. The Warlock can also animate pumpkin plants to rise up and fight for him, as a homebrew (weak) creature.
After they win, they get their final (and biggest) share of loot, and the adventure is over.

atemu1234
2015-10-05, 10:21 PM

... There are no words, save one. Yes.

Ninjaxenomorph
2015-10-05, 10:57 PM
I ran an encounter for my Pathfinder group that I'd had kicking around for a couple weeks just a few days ago. They laughed when I revealed that they were fighting literal Jack-o'-lanterns. Hey, they're an interesting CR 1 monster with lots of abilities, I didn't plan on the timeframe!

SovelsAtaask
2015-10-05, 11:10 PM
This isn't something that's happened yet, but something that's being planned.

Whenever my players get through the premade adventure I have them in to start things out, I intend to shift the campaign to a focus on the Plane of Shadows. After with a shadow dragon's shadow genie lieutenant, a permanent gate to the Plane of Shadows will be on the Material Plane. Should they go through it, I intend to do all I can to psyche out the players.

One of my ideas is a perfectly normal looking village, possibly analogous to one of the character's home towns. When a PC looks at it, they can hear the sounds of children playing and laughing but as they get closer the sounds turn to crying and finally screaming. The village begins to look ruined and burned when they approach, and once they've arrived burned zombies shamble from the charred husks of the houses. The screaming just gets worse as the fight continues, and will saves would be required to resist fear. Should they still try to explore, they may find some grizzly sights as well as monsters like half fire elemental shadows

FocusWolf413
2015-10-05, 11:15 PM
La

PC's (level 5) walk into town; overcast, early noon. It's a farming town around harvest time. They've heard of trouble, and are here to help.
They talk to locals, hear about legends of an "ancient evil", and also learn that they haven't heard from a certain farmer recently.
They investigate the farmer's place, and are attacked by animated scarecrows.
They find their first magic item here, along with some health potions refluffed to be Halloween-esque. There's also a note talking about one of the farmer's friends.
Friend points them to a hermit who lives in the woods outside town, who apparently knows a lot about this ancient evil.
The sun sets unnaturally fast while this is happening; it's well past sundown as they go through the woods.
The hermit lives in a shack, which has a circle of protection against evil around it. When they arrive, he helpfully gives exposition.
Generic story of power-crazed warlock, killed in pumpkin patch outside town, vows vengeance, blah-blah-blah.
That's all he knows; they need to go to the library to find out exactly where and how to stop him.
Huge animated tree attacks, helped by assassin vines and maybe a couple of other creatures. Second large loot stash is here.
Storm has brewed outside; when the enter the (mostly ruined) library, a tree blocks the exit. Every round, there is a 50% chance of 1D4 + 1 Grey Oozes come out of the woodworks. The party must make Gather Information/Search checks while fighting off the oozes; they can only do one per round. Once the total check reaches 150, they have all the information they need; third large loot stash.
Before they finish, the windows break and the library starts flooding. The only safe way out is through the sewers that run underneath.
In the sewers (which have also started flooding, but they have quite some time before it becomes an issue), they have to find a way out. There are several, tied to Search, Strength, and lockpicking. There's also a Mohrg down there with them, which wanders around in the darkness, picking them off one by one as it encounters them. Also, another loot stash.
Once they get out, they fight the BBEG; a human Warlock with this template (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Headless_One_%283.5e_Template%29). It takes place in a pumpkin patch, hampering movement and giving the Warlock an advantage. The Warlock can also animate pumpkin plants to rise up and fight for him, as a homebrew (weak) creature.
After they win, they get their final (and biggest) share of loot, and the adventure is over.

I think I might adapt the animated plants element of this.

For some reason, I really like druids, rangers, and fey as enemies. Properly done, they can really represent our primal fear of what lurks in the dark.

Strigon
2015-10-06, 07:23 AM
I think I might adapt the animated plants element of this.

For some reason, I really like druids, rangers, and fey as enemies. Properly done, they can really represent our primal fear of what lurks in the dark.

Oh, please do.
What I didn't mention was that when my players arrived to play the game, they literally said "Y'know, man, I'm just not feeling D&D today. Mind if we do something else?", and we moved on to play Super Smash Bros.
Such is the life of a GM, I suppose.

It'll be nice to know someone got some use out of it; the opportunity only comes for me once a year if I happen to have a group together.
Next year it'll be different; next year...

FocusWolf413
2015-10-06, 07:29 AM
...children...laughter....

Children are always demons or something. Always. Nobody in a D&D campaign or horror movie survived by approaching children.

Such is the life of a GM

I think we've all been there.

Ninjaxenomorph
2015-10-06, 07:34 AM
However, I have had a creepy horror adventure in the works for this campaign for a while. So, background: the campaign is taking place on a flying city, and the players have been informed that children have been going missing; it's been 8 children in the last 2 months, and it's been speeding up. So, here's how it will begin:

The adventure will start with me rolling randomly between the PCs (with teeth, we have one from a strange race that has really weird biology), and the one I roll is ambushed in bed by tooth fairies. They will tie them to the bed with twine and try to pry out all their teeth. I don't expect it to be too much trouble to defeat them, but the PCs should be wanting to find out how this is happening; they go to the guard (singular, since the rest is on the missing children) to find out what is happening, and they learn there has been a spate of other tooth fairy attacks in the city. They follow the clues, and end up at the garden for a manor, where they have been spawning; they fight more tooth fairies, and dig up the garden where they are sprouting from. They find seven skeletons all belonging to children, all missing the teeth (the teeth had turned into tooth fairies).

So, this manor is obviously where the children are disappearing to. Details at this point may vary, but I doubt the PCs will want to just let the guard take care of it; they go inside, and they find a horror show of a trap-filled house, all catered towards children (gruesome as well; I'm looking forward to the floor which swivels away, and the rope to grab onto is covered with glass shards). Sick, sadistic stuff. The PCs find one remaining kid, but they can't talk at all. Then, ghosts of the children start appearing; they aren't malevolent, and they say that the child's voice is stolen. Now, a savvy player will know an attic whisperer is at work. They take the living kid and break for the entrance, but meet the killer (rogue) and the attic whisperer in the foyer. Now, the party will probably not be able to take them on by themselves, with them being level 1 and 2. So, that's when the ghosts of the dead children start helping them, flanking, distracting the enemies in combat, that stuff. When the killer and the whisperer are defeated, they exit the house, to find a crowd has formed, and the families of the dead children are there. An old man with his pet crow (disguised Shoki and Nosoi psychopomps) come in and help the children move on. The players get some considerable recognition from the city, having solved the biggest crime of the century.

Chronos
2015-10-06, 08:34 AM
So, um, just what does "spoopy" mean? I thought at first it was just a weird typo for "spooky", but then the OP used it twice.

ekarney
2015-10-06, 09:05 AM
So, um, just what does "spoopy" mean? I thought at first it was just a weird typo for "spooky", but then the OP used it twice.

It means spooky, it's almost like an intentional typo i guess, usually used to denote that they're not being 100% serious.

Also, started work on SkeleRPG today OP, should be done by tomorrow.

FocusWolf413
2015-10-06, 01:30 PM
It means spooky, it's almost like an intentional typo i guess, usually used to denote that they're not being 100% serious.

Also, started work on SkeleRPG today OP, should be done by tomorrow.

Yes. It's an intentional typo. Saying spoopy instead of spooky makes it sound whimsical. D&D is, at heart, a whimsical game. I thought it was fitting.

Also, tumblr.