PDA

View Full Version : The Infinity Gauntlet?

Max Caysey
2015-10-05, 06:43 AM
Hi guys....

I was just wondering if it had ever been converted into D&D 3.5 or if possibly anyone could do it. I personaly am not so good with the Marvel lore, I only know the overall abilities and such, but I would think it cool, if someone here could actually do a propper writeup? Or if its out there on the net somewhere, where I havent found it, ten link it.

Thanks guys

Flickerdart
2015-10-05, 09:13 AM
The Infinity Gauntlet's power defies stats - it grants its wearer omnipotence of the sort that even overdeities cower before, with the exceptions of the One-Above-All (source of all life in the multiverse) and the Living Tribunal (the One-Above-All's right hand man). The only limits on its power are that it does not function across universes (planar boundaries in D&D).

Jowgen
2015-10-05, 09:33 AM
What Flickerdart said... but eh, might as well take a crack at it.

I think each of the infinity Gems ought to be a powerful artifact in it's own right. I would personally tie each one to a school of magic. The powers of each one are themed to that school, giving really powerful benefits BUT also incurring really nasty risks/drawbacks... unless you have the gauntlet/all the gems that is. Now, there are 9 schools but only 6 gems... add the gauntlet itself as a 7th... make universal the capstone and push two similar ones into a single one.

Mind: Enchantment. Geas-type stuff at will, CL increases... Oh, and overcome mind-affecting immunities.
Space: Conjuration. Teleport and Portal creation at will... maybe some dimensional lock stuff.
Power: Evocation. Do away with dice-limits on evocation spells, plus a caster level boost. Maybe change damage types at will.
Reality: Transmutation. This one's easy enough. You can turn stuff into other stuff. At will disintegrate.
Time: Divination. You foresee the future, get extra actions a la celerity, that sort of stuff.
Soul: Necromancy & Illusion. Anything from Magic Jar to resurrecting stuff. I threw illusion in here for balance, but it might be better served as part of the mind-gem.

The Gauntlet itself: Abjuration. Powerful protective benefits that increase with each added gem, and also partially off-set the damage from the gem.

Once they're all together, all the benefits super-change and you unlock the Universal school. Which is basically wish at will, but with some limitations. Maybe throw some free metamagic on there, and casting-time reductions. In essence, having this ought to give you the equivalent of some divine ranks with some elder-evils powers added on top. Still no going into Sigil though.

So yeah, those are my 2 copper.

Red Fel
2015-10-05, 09:52 AM
First off, this article (http://observationdeck.kinja.com/explaining-the-tesseract-infinity-gems-and-other-power-1462974279) offers a brief explanation of the Stones. Keep in mind that while the Stones are part of a long-standing and established comic book canon, they will be featured in upcoming movies, so for those who are spoiler-averse, you may want to avoid the article.

Now, with regard to the Stones, they are summarized as follows:

Soul: As stated, most often used by Adam Warlock to examine, cleanse or steal the souls of others. It is the most nebulous of the gems in terms of ability. Originally, all of the gems were known as "Soul Gems," because this was the first to make an appearance. Mind: Usually allows users greater access to the Astral Plane (the dimension of the mind) and increases any mental abilities exponentially. Most famously used by Moondragon, sometime Avenger and sometime world-conqueror. Power: Perceived as the most simplistic of the gems as it is usually used to make people stronger. With it, anyone can become a credible challenge to the Hulk, for example. Although Drax (soon to be seen in the Guardians of the Galaxy movie) used it for a while, perhaps the best Power Gem story involved the She-Hulk as she built herself up to fight the Champion (the original Rasslor) and her own enemy Titania, both of whom possessed the gem. Time: This gem has rarely seen use, although for a long time it was protected by Gamora (also soon to be seen in the Guardians of the Galaxy movie). Space: This gem can take you anywhere in the universe, and its most pernicious possessor is Pip the Troll. Man, would he be fun to see in the movies. Reality: The least understood and most feared of the gems, the Reality Gem does whatever you think it does. Ego: The least seen of all the gems, this one acts as a central nervous system for the gem set. This one will probably never be seen or referenced in a movie, and it's not necessary for the story.
(Red Fel's Note: The Ego Gem is one of those "sometimes" items. Usually, the other six are the "only" Infinity Stones, unless they need a plot device to manipulate the plot devices. You can pretty much leave it out of your calculations.)
As Flickerdart pointed out, each one is a deus ex machina - any one of them is godlike reality-warping power. The Power Gem would let you wrestle Kord and win. The Mind Gem would let you outthink Boccob, or out-magic Wee Jas. The Reality Gem would do, well, whatever you want. As for the Gauntlet? I've never known it to have a role other than simply storing the gems in one convenient vessel that allows for easy display and bragging rights.

So I'd go in an entirely different direction. Picture it. The function of the Gauntlet isn't to give power, but to take it. Specifically, it represents a pact between the six most powerful deities in the cosmology. Refluff the gems to fit portfolios. Soul becomes Death, Mind becomes Magic, Power becomes Strength, Time becomes... Time, I guess, Space becomes Travel, and Reality becomes... Yeah, I have no idea. Basically, the wielder of the Gauntlet doesn't simply acquire these abilities out of the ether; the Gauntlet allows him to steal the divine portfolios and Salient Abilities of each of the deities in turn. Used against your campaign's Death god, it steals the Death portfolio and grants, say, Hand of Death.

Obviously, this should be an object in the hands (no pun intended) of your BBEG. Once recovered by the PCs, they can then decide whether they want to return power to the gods, or take it (as did the Infinity Watch) and become godlike themselves.

Telonius
2015-10-05, 10:07 AM
Yeah, something as powerful as the Infinity Gauntlet would probably be held by either Pun-Pun or the Lady of Pain. The campaign to get it would be well into the absurdly-Epic levels.

Taking Red Fel's idea and shamelessly stealing modifying it, it might work particularly well in an Eberron campaign. Each gem could be keyed off one of the Dark Six.

Soul - The Keeper
Mind - the Shadow
Power - the Mockery
Time - the Fury
Space - the Traveler
Reality - the Devourer

(Not an exact match, particularly on Time and Reality, but close enough).

Segev
2015-10-05, 10:08 AM
This one's always bugged me a bit: If the Reality gem does "anything," do you really need the others? What can you do with all of the gems that you can't do with just the Reality gem?

Secondary question: What gems do you think we've already seen in the movies? We've seen the Tesseract, the Aether, whatever that stone was in Guardians of the Galaxy, and the explicitly-named Mind gem.

I'm guessing Tesseract is Space.

Maybe Aether is Reality? It seems to alter the world to suit its owner, if it isn't consuming him from within.

Still not really sure what the GoG stone was.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-10-05, 10:10 AM
I'm pretty sure the GotG gem was the Power one while the Aether was reality.

Flickerdart
2015-10-05, 10:30 AM
This one's always bugged me a bit: If the Reality gem does "anything," do you really need the others? What can you do with all of the gems that you can't do with just the Reality gem?

I imagine it's one of those "chemistry is just applied physics" things - you could do anything with the Reality stone, but it would be so complicated and difficult that it's much easier to take the right tool for the job instead (in this case, one of the other stones).

Red Fel
2015-10-05, 10:32 AM
Secondary question: What gems do you think we've already seen in the movies?

Producer Kevin Feige has confirmed that the Tesseract (Captain America: The First Avenger) was the Space Stone. Age of Ultron confirmed that the one in Loki's Scepter (now in Vision) is the Mind Stone. It's been suggested that the Aether (Thor: The Dark World) was the Reality Stone, and that the stone used by Ronan (Guardians of the Galaxy) was the Power Stone.

Segev
2015-10-05, 10:43 AM
Seems somewhat reasonable.

Is it an invention of the movies that the gems destroy those who try to wield them if they're not "awesome" enough in some way, or is that a property of some of the gems in most canon?

Ellowryn
2015-10-05, 12:01 PM
Seems somewhat reasonable.

Is it an invention of the movies that the gems destroy those who try to wield them if they're not "awesome" enough in some way, or is that a property of some of the gems in most canon?

Not really, it sort of depends on the gem and which series they are appearing in. Take the power gem for example, when it does show up in comics it is either in the hands of some quasi-powerful being or some random crackpot obsessed with power so its hard to tell weather you need a certain level of power to use it or if you can "attune" to it to bypass that restriction.

The biggest problem is that the gems are more of a plot device than actual usable items, doing whatever the writer wants them to do in order to make for a good story arc so the individual powers of the gems tends to change slightly with each iteration.

Bronk
2015-10-05, 12:14 PM
I imagine it's one of those "chemistry is just applied physics" things - you could do anything with the Reality stone, but it would be so complicated and difficult that it's much easier to take the right tool for the job instead (in this case, one of the other stones).

I like it... it seems like an open and shut case for the Reality stone to be 'wish', with any warpings of the wishes granted due to the user's own mind.

lbuttitta
2017-06-13, 08:46 AM
I honestly don't know much about the Marvel Universe. That said, I'll take a crack at this:

INFINITY STONES
Space: +20 bonus to Dexterity; at will - gate, teleportation circle
Mind: +20 bonus to Intelligence; at will - contact other plane (no chance of error), geas; gain psionic powers as mental pinnacle cast by a 20th-level wizard or gain +20 manifester level
Soul: +20 bonus to Constitution; at will - trap the soul, simulacrum
Reality: +20 bonus to Charisma; at will - wish
Time: +20 bonus to Wisdom; at will - teleport through time (no drift), vision
Power: +20 bonus to Strength; at will - disintegrate; double save bonuses, attack bonuses, and caster level
Any powers from an infinity stone can be activated as a free action.

SET BONUSES
Any two: DR 100/-, SR 100
Any four: additional +20 bonus to all ability scores
All: at will - polymorph any object (instantaneous), true creation, disintegrate with infinite range and area

The numbers 20 and 100 are off the top of my head; they may or may not be appropriate.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-06-13, 09:44 AM

In the Infinity Watch series (written by the same guy who wrote the Infinity Gauntlet, Jim Starlin) it was occasionally stated that the Reality Gem wouldn't work without the others to help control it.

khadgar567
2017-06-13, 10:01 AM
i think reality stone allows you to count prime material plane as your own demiplane so you have absolute control over the demiplane/ universe in your pinky finger