PDA

View Full Version : Quicker Potions

Mike_Lemmer
2007-05-20, 12:58 PM
My PCs usually end up with a half-dozen buff potions they never use because they have better things to do with a standard action. To increase their use, I'm debating making potion drinking a move action instead of a standard action, as so:

Drinking a potion is a move action that provokes Attacks of Opportunity. If you drink more than one potion in a round, roll on the Potion Miscibility table to see what terrible thing might happen.*

*Potion Miscibility table pending.

Spiryt
2007-05-20, 01:04 PM
*Potion Miscibility table

Interesting idea, but quicker potions? You know they'r already quite quick- standart action and any effect starts working immidietly...

Arbitrarity
2007-05-20, 01:11 PM
Standard action is the casting time on those spells already. As it is, drinking a potion is pretty difficult, given you waste the opportunity to attack, which is likely to be better than drinking a potion. This way, you still can't drink and full attack, but it allows some viability with certain manuvers.

Although, at that speed, your character uncorks the bottle with superhuman speed, and downs shots with incredible speed.

Think about it. 2 bottles of 1 1/2 ounces each, in 6 seconds?

Fax Celestis
2007-05-20, 01:14 PM
I can do that with alcohol. Why can't I do that with potions? An ounce and a half is a jigger, which is a rather standard unit of alcohol.

Of course, potion miscibility is probably more dangerous than alcohol miscibility.

Yuki Akuma
2007-05-20, 01:17 PM
Wasn't there once a mechanic for mixing potions together, back in the dark days of AD&D first edition? No, this has nothing to do with the topic, but the fact that under this system, drinking two potions can have weird effects sort of reminded me of it..

prufock
2007-05-20, 01:18 PM
You could make it a feat:

Quaff
Benefit: You can drink a potion or apply an oil as a swift action.
Normal: Drinking a potion or applying an oil is a standard action.

Fax Celestis
2007-05-20, 01:27 PM
Wasn't there once a mechanic for mixing potions together, back in the dark days of AD&D first edition? No, this has nothing to do with the topic, but the fact that under this system, drinking two potions can have weird effects sort of reminded me of it..

Yup. AD&D included Potion Miscibility rules.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-20, 01:34 PM
Maybe you should instead actually give PCs time to prepare for encounters.

crazedloon
2007-05-20, 01:35 PM
well get a potion belt from forgoten realms campaign setting (1 gp) it alows you to hold 6 potions and it is a free action to drink 1 potion from it a round mastework(60gp) alows 10 potions. This way you can get 2 potions a round or go for 1 and an full action.

Green Bean
2007-05-20, 01:47 PM
What your character needs is one of these...

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h87/osiris32/beer_helmet.jpg

PinkysBrain
2007-05-20, 01:53 PM
Crazedloon, retrieving the potion is a free action ... drinking it is still a standard action.

Forgotten realms has the runecaster, he can create runes which can be activated merely by walking past them ... so essentially a free action, drop them on the ground and pass over them.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fr/20010418b

Yvian
2007-05-20, 06:15 PM
Helm of Beers:

This non-magical, non-masterwork Helm has cup holders for two potions. Each potion is conected to the wear's mouth by a long clear tube. The Helm of Beers alows it user to drink one potion as a free action. Nobydoy knows why it is called the Helm of Beers.

Dark
2007-05-20, 06:26 PM
Yup. AD&D included Potion Miscibility rules.
One of the possible results was Explosion :)

I don't think you got a saving throw.

DreadArchon
2007-05-20, 06:32 PM
Complete Adventurer had rapid-use potion capsules, you know.

Yuki Akuma
2007-05-20, 07:10 PM
Complete Adventurer had rapid-use potion capsules, you know.

Which unfortunately need to be readied beforehand and put into the weird tooth/tongue holder thing. Otherwise, injesting a potion capsule took a standard action, for some reason.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-05-20, 08:26 PM
You could use the logic of spells, you could make "shots" which are usable as swift actions, but only last for 1 round.

TheBoneSplitter
2007-05-20, 08:35 PM
Metapotion! :smallbiggrin: Okay, lame and broken idea if not with a fruity system...

I take it all the buff potions that your party has are expendable and really would rather get into the heat of battle rather than "playing it safe"? Otherwise, they could just be sold. Just asking.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-20, 09:41 PM
Which unfortunately need to be readied beforehand and put into the weird tooth/tongue holder thing. Otherwise, injesting a potion capsule took a standard action, for some reason.
The other downside is that they couldn't contain a full vial's worth of contents. Note the only capsules available are alchemical items that have weaker effects than their standard counterparts due to the smaller amount of liquid.

You need to drink an entire larger dose of potion to get its effects.