PDA

View Full Version : Input on world factor (raising dead)

JusticeZero
2015-10-05, 07:36 PM
Doing some worldbuilding, want input on how this would work out..
The setting is P6, no Piazo classes except for a few T3-4 non casters. Also no manifesting. Not low magic, by the way.
Afterlife is broken right now. Even paladins would be doomed to hell. Society thus values anything that binds souls and prevents them from passing on, or destroys them.
There are shrines where a ritual Raise Dead spell can be cast. This requires the mostly intact body - strictly enforced - and the original soul.
There are items available which trap the soul of whatever died with it in its possession. If the person with the trap died in a dramatically heroic or despicable way, the trap overloads and cannot trap the soul. These traps are required for certain major spells, or item creation - both of which can, along with Animate Dead, also be used on the recently slain without a trap.
Peasants die - traps aren't cheap. There are a lot of uncontrolled undead around in crypts, and please don't destroy them. There are lots of mildly enchanted items around - the creation of yet another Dagger +1 is secondary to the fact that the dagger is keeping grandma from being tortured and torn apart by imps. The king can be assassinated; the assassin just has to steal or destroy part of the body, or mess with the soul trap too. Heroes can die - "This is going to be epic.. They won't be able to raise me, I'm guessing.."

Surpriser
2015-10-06, 07:14 AM
A few thoughts:

How do you define "posession" of such a trap? Is the owner the one who carries it? What about me carrying a gnome in my backpack, whose familiar carries such a trap? What about two enemies grappling for the item, both dieing in the same fireball? Is it anyone who dies within 5ft of it? But then any assassin would just have to empty their bag of tricks over their target and throw in some alchemist's fire...

I would recommend having these traps be custom-made for their recipient, requiring part of their body in the creation process (like hair, blood,...)
For extra creepiness, the traps could be embedded within the target's body, like a jewel embedded in the forehead, with runes cut into the skin all around it. Of course, if the death is so violent, that the runes are destroyed, the trap won't activate.

If I understand correctly, both Animate Dead and item creation can trap the soul of a recently dead (how recently? Magic items can take days or weeks to build) into either a body or an object, freeing the soul (i.e. sending it to hell) if the undead/item is destroyed.
Is this a necessary part of item crafting? I.e. do I have to kill someone each time I want an upgrade to my gear? This would make for an ... interesting twist, with commoners having the option to sacrifice themselves for the guarantee of being bound in an item (and maybe some money for their family).

Is there any connection left between an item and the soul bound within it? Is a "+1 Grandma dagger" in any way different from a "+1 dagger" or a "+1 High-Priest-Of-Pelor dagger"?

JusticeZero
2015-10-06, 01:56 PM
How do you define "posession" of such a trap?
Well, I was thinking "on their person, length of time in contact breaks ties", but other ideas are interesting too. If the familiar carried it, the familiar is the one caught. Grappling for a trap will only get one. Yes, that makes assassination a bit easier, which is sort've the point.

Is this a necessary part of item crafting? I.e. do I have to kill someone each time I want an upgrade to my gear? This would make for an ... interesting twist, with commoners having the option to sacrifice themselves for the guarantee of being bound in an item (and maybe some money for their family).
Correct, and yes it is a necessary component. The soul is needed to begin the enchanting process, and the creation of the item cannot be put on hold after that point. You could get your masterwork sword, ritually prepare it, stand by the deathbed, put the sword on the dying and immediately start enchanting.
Minor items such as consumables can use animal souls. Most people aren't too worried about the afterlife of a chicken being interrupted by becoming a potion; they get to eat the chicken anyways.

Is there any connection left between an item and the soul bound within it? Is a "+1 Grandma dagger" in any way different from a "+1 dagger" or a "+1 High-Priest-Of-Pelor dagger"?
Yes, but normally it isn't noticable or important beyond being part of the item description. The item creation process typically preserves personality but not agency, and doesn't mean "all items are sentient".

Surpriser
2015-10-06, 04:18 PM
This looks like a really interesting idea!

Now, it seems to me that it would be very desirable for anyone to ensure that their soul is either stored within a magic item or one of these soul traps (which basically boil down to "self-crafting" magic items without any powers)
At the same time, destroying or discharging a magic item would doom the soul stored within to eternal pain. A natural consequence would be a ban on consumable/charged magic items (or at least their use), unless they were made using the souls of animals (or possibly slaves or other beings regarded as "sub-humans"?)
The destruction (disjunction, sundering) of a magic item would carry the same sort of taboo as Soul Trap or similar abilities in regular settings.

This would also apply to the undead, as you have already mentioned. This is a great opportunity for conflict if zombies et al. retain their murderous, brain-eating behaviour: Should we destroy these zombies in the crypt and damn the souls of our ancestors for all eternity or risk that they might break the seals one day and kill us all in our sleep?

I can see people (especially the elderly and poor) making contracts with mages similar to an inverted life insurance: "Should I die within the next 5 years, you guarantee to come within 24 hours and preserve my soul in an item of your choice. You can use this item as you wish under the following conditions: You must not bring the item in a situation where it is likely to be destroyed in any way. You must not sell or trade it to someone else for at least 50 years, with the only exception of my immediate family, who will retain the right to buy the item before any other parties."