PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Polite Rant, and Looking for Advice

Kesnit
2015-10-05, 08:57 PM
This is in part a rant, and in part a hope that someone can give me some advice that will help the situation.

Since there are so many people and some of the initials are the same, I am going to refer to people as the primary class they are playing.

DM – Obviously the DM. He has been running D&D games for over 20 years. This is good in that he is not a novice DM. This is bad in that he mixes up rules from different editions.
Bard – Bard 2/Cleric 3/SORC 2. At least I think that’s his class breakdown. I know he’s got 3 classes and is not building towards any PrC. The player is Monk’s father.
Crusader (Me) – Crusader 5/Barbarian 2. I built to do lockdown – reach weapon, tripping, stances that hold enemies, Combat Reflexes and Stand Still, etc.
Fighter – I’m not sure on his exact class, since he was only at game briefly yesterday and has been out for several weeks prior. He’s level 4.
Monk - Actually a Monk 6/Swordsage 1. I’ve only seen him play once, and only saw him use 1 maneuver. (One where you summon a fire elemental to flank with you.) He seems to know what he is doing.
Incarnate (Necro) – Currently an Incarnate 7/Homebrew PrC 1. (More on that below). She is going Necrocarnate, and was prepped to take her first level before the DM forced her to take the PrC or kill the character. In the interest of full disclosure, the player is my wife.
Paladin – The DM has a houserule that Paladins can be any alignment except Neutral but must match the alignment of their god. Said Paladin is LN (I think) and is dedicated to a god of Order. He’s been playing fairly consistently with this DM for a really long time. He’s pretty familiar with RAW as well, and will confront the DM when DM drops some new rule (or old rule that was lost somewhere and just came back) that contradicts RAW.
Warmage – Warmage 8/Expert 1. Only ever casts Magic Missile. Even has a wand of Magic Missile (bought at CL 8) so she does not have to burn her spell slots. (I’m not sure she tracks either spell slots or wand uses.) She is the DM’s wife.

As I said, the DM has been running D&D for 20 years. He is rather set in his ways on a lot of things and does not really want to learn unless forced to.
(1) PCs only gain XP if the player is at game, and if the PC actually participates in the encounter. This can lead to several problems. First, it can lead to party level disparities like the one above. Yes, he does give XP based on level, so the LVL 4 PC did get more XP than the rest of us (as should happen). However, it can lead to players sitting around doing nothing for long periods because their PC is not involved in whatever is happening. (In the first game I went to, 4 of the PCs got thrown into a lake. This led to some really childish hijynx, including Warmage having a bad encounter with a porpoise. I cannot say what happened after that because of forum rules. Since Necro and I were inside the carriage, we weren’t thrown in. That led to everyone else getting XP, and us twiddling our thumbs for almost an hour for nothing.
(2) Encounters are rolled on extensive, pre-made tables. No consideration is given to party make-up or environment. If we roll it, we face it. On those same lines, the DM is horrible at calculating CR, and encounters can really easy or impossible.
(3) PvP is allowed. Personally, I hate PvP in D&D. Sometimes things happen (like when my PC failed a Will save against confusion and rolled “attack nearest creature” as my action, when “nearest creature” was Fighter. (Fighter managed to grapple me and tie me up. I remained tied up for the next four hours in-game until the confusion wore off.) But PCs are encouraged to attack other PCs with no IC or OOC consequences. (The DM tried to tell me and Monk that we are “kill on sight” to each other because I’m CE and he’s LG. We both told him we aren’t stupid and refused.) However, Warmage has an intelligent bow that puts fairy fire on Necro at least once per game session in combat (to make her a target) because Necro is NE.
(4) Wealth by level does not exist and wealth is insane. The DM gives out massive gold if the party finds it. However, new PCs do not get nearly as much, even if the player was involved in finding the treasure with a previous PC. For example, Warmage has +10 equivalent armor. Paladin has a +7 equivalent bow. (Monk is VoP, but is planning to change characters to avoid the issue of Exalted with Evil PCs.) Bard put his gold into a portable pop-up tavern and a wagon pulled by animated stone horses with 2 extradiminsional spaces inside (for sleep and cooking) and 3 extradiminstional “foxholes” on the top that PCs can stand in. In contrast, I have a 22,000 in gear. My wife was playing when the party found the massive treasure, but was playing a VoP Favored Soul at the time (which died) and got the same 22,000 when she brought in Necro.
(6) Critical fumbles are in effect. Worse, Bard and Monk gave the DM a deck cards for critical hits and critical fumbles. The crit hits are seldom worthwhile, and the critical fumbles are devastating. Yesterday, Paladin rolled a crit fumble with his sword and bent it. Luckily, his primary weapon is his bow, so he’s not out too much. I know that if I break my weapon, I may as well walk out of the game because there is nothing I can effectively do without it. I have a 16 DEX so can shoot a bow, but don’t have a ranged weapon because any money I put in that means money I can’t put into doing what I am built to do.

From looking at the party make-up, you’d think my Crusader would be doing great. Monk and I are the only melee, and I’m built to run in and lockdown enemies. Yeah, not so much... Since the DM can’t calculate CR and much of the party has massive wealth, combat encounters seldom last longer than 2 rounds. If I take a round to get to the enemies (even charging), that means I’m only able to actually do my cheese one round per combat.

The one combat that I really thought I could shine in, the DM screwed me over. All the monsters were Huge (so not trippable), but that wasn’t the issue. Since the DM didn’t have Huge bases, he was using creatures with Large bases to represent them. Then he positioned the monsters too close to each other (base-to-base for Large monsters). I thought that’s really where the monsters were and positioned myself to lockdown two of them, while Monk took on the third. When one tried to move away from me, I started to take my AoO to stop the monster (Stand Still). That’s when the DM said the monster was actually 5 feet farther away, so out of my threat range. Had I known that, I could have taken a 5’ step on my turn to be able to actually lockdown both monsters. Since suddenly the monster was not where the DM put it, the monster could casually walk around me and still get to the wagon with the rest of the party. (60’ move speed). “OK,” I thought, “next round I can charge the one that got past me and keep him from attacking the wagon.” Then Bard webbed the wagon, the monster, and the party members on the wagon. (To the DM’s credit, that wasn’t his fault.) Since the monster was already at the wagon, Web did nothing to stop it from attacking. The web, however, did stop me from being able to charge. I could lockdown the other monster, but giving allies bonuses to hit Monster #1 didn’t do a lot of good when they were fighting Monster #2 at the wagon.

Yesterday I had another opportunity to shine, but could not take it. We were attacked by a group of 6 creatures that were tightly packed enough for me to lockdown 4. Why couldn’t I? Remember the confusion I mentioned? I was still under the effect and could not act at all. Even if I had rolled “Act normally” on the percentile chart, I could not attack since I was tied to Necro’s necrocarnum zombie and the party took my weapon to keep me from attacking them. (At least I did get XP from the encounter...)

As a Crusader, I have a decent CHA (17 and probably going to 18 at LVL 8.) I also have max ranks in Diplomacy and Intimidate. This sets me up to be a decent party face (or back up Bard in social situations). Except there is never any RP. Every encounter in the wild is combat or problem solving. RP can happen in cities, but that is almost always 1-on-1 (so makes all the other players sit around) and we seldom get to a city.

So now that I’ve set the scene, let’s get into my actual rant

Last night, I left for a few minutes to get dinner. While I was gone, the party got into a combat encounter. (Only Warmage, Paladin, and Necro were there.) I come back to combat and jump in. The battle is against a Huge spider (and the DM has torn a paper towel to mark the monster’s actual base size.) When I jumped in, the spider was against the wagon. The next round, however, it spun out some silk and began to fly away. (60 mph winds). I managed to catch it the first round, damaged it, and got hit in return. Then I failed my FORT save (needed a 6, rolled a 2) against the poison and took 5 temporary STR damage. Since I have a move speed of 20 and the spider is flying away at 60’/round, I knew I couldn’t keep up and so started walking back to the wagon. Necro had a bind that let her fly and one that let her spit acid, so went after the spider, using the wind to help her keep up. She got blown into the spider’s reach and failed her FORT save. She took 10 STR damage – and only had 8 STR. After doing some fast research, the DM determined that going to negative STR killed her. (I’ve since found where the rules say abilities cannot fall below zero, but did not have that at the time.) I admit, it’s possible she still would have died before anyone could save her, but we didn’t get to try.

The DM allows players to make a “god call” to avoid dying, and Necro failed hers. However, the DM had her meet with one of his homebrew (CE) gods. The god would allow her to return to life if she agreed to worship him. (Had she accepted that offer, the rest of this would not have happened. However, she asked for clarification and was told she had to take a level in a divine class.) She could not take Paladin since that would require her to become CE (and Incarnates must have a Neutral aspect to their alignment). Cleric would not do her any good with her build. Favored Soul would turn her into an NPC (for in-game reasons that are valid). She was about to refuse when the DM/god offered her a homebrew PrC called Evil Clown. Basically, the PrC is like the clown in the Saw movies – you do torture and play deadly pranks. She decided to take the class, even though it would mean putting off Necrocarnate for 1 more level.

The remaining party members went through 1 more encounter without her, then she reappeared. That’s when we called game for the night. And the drama began.

Warmage was upset because she does not like clowns OOC. She’s rather upset that the DM offered the class in the first place. When we got home, my wife e-mailed her to say that if Warmage was really that upset, she would let the Necro die and bring in a new PC. Warmage wrote back with a long list of issues, dealing with both my and my wife’s PCs. (1) We’re both Evil, and she doesn’t like how the party is slipping to all Neutral and Evil. (The Warmage is True Neutral.) She actually wrote “don’t be surprised if someone or my bow kills you.” (2) She thinks my PC is totally ineffective and does nothing to help the party. This from the person who casts Magic Missile every round... (3) She gets frustrated with me complaining when my PC is useless. (Granted, I do. I like to play a very tactical game, and get frustrated when the other players do their own thing and don’t work together.) (4) She was annoyed that my wife and I asked her to please stop making rape and penis jokes. (They have been going on for 2 sessions, and have gotten very old.)

By the time my wife was done reading me the e-mail, I wanted to reach through the phone and throttle Warmage.

I know someone (probably multiple someones) is going to say “no game is better than bad game.” To be honest, this is very true. I, personally, have no problem with walking away. (I've walked away from this game before, about a year and a half ago.) Part of me does not want to because it feels like doing that would let DM and Warmage win, but I know that feeling is petty. My wife, on the other hand, does not really want to leave. Warmage has been her friend for over a decade. (Warmage also officiated our wedding...) This is one of only two games that my wife plays in, and the other (which I run) is having issues as well due to a certain player. (That bad player is not one of the players listed above.) Other than gaming, she has no real-life social outlet, and does not want to lose what little she has. Also, due to our schedules, the two games are the only times my wife and I really get to do things together. And while I’ve considered more than once dropping out of the game, there are fun things that happen and it gives me a chance to actually play. On the other hand, it’s very clear that I want a different style of game than the DM or other players.

So, yeah... Help..? :smalleek:

atemu1234
2015-10-05, 10:39 PM
Can you sell stuff to buy stuff? Because otherwise melees are, coloquially speaking, totally ****ed.

Yahzi
2015-10-06, 05:49 AM
So, yeah... Help..? :smalleek:
That is all kinds of messed up. Thing is, it's not entirely one-sided.

As I said, the DM has been running D&D for 20 years. He is rather set in his ways on a lot of things and does not really want to learn unless forced to.
Um. If I had a player who wanted to learn me some DMing, I would have one less player.

If you want to teach a person something about DMing, you do it by example. Offer to run a game on alternate sessions. You can also talk to your DM about game issues, like what you think is fun and all. But going in with an attitude of educating a 20-year veteran is not likely to end well - even if you are right. (This is a generally true statement about life, not just D&D games.)

(1) PCs only gain XP if the player is at game, and if the PC actually participates in the encounter.
I personally detest the standard rules for dispensing XP, but this is not a bad rule.

Since Necro and I were inside the carriage, we weren’t thrown in. That led to everyone else getting XP, and us twiddling our thumbs for almost an hour for nothing.
This is insane on many levels. I don't know why an encounter with a porpoise is worth XP, I don't know why your characters didn't join the party, and I don't know why the DM thinks an accidental dunking is entertaining or worth playing out given your character's levels.

(2) Encounters are rolled on extensive, pre-made tables. No consideration is given to party make-up or environment.
Again, not a bad rule - assuming your party has some control over what encounters they choose to face; i.e. dangerous areas are clearly marked, or alternatives such as retreat or diplomacy are available.

(3) PvP is allowed.
Still not a bad rule - until you get to the part about no IC consequences. Attacking anything should have IC consequences. Forcing players to justify their absurd alignment alliances is perfectly valid; randomly murdering each other should also need to be justified. In my world PVP is not a problem, because the world is so dangerous the PCs need each other. Parties that do not need each other do not make sense, and consequently their party dynamics do not make sense, which leads to the absurdities you describe.

(4) Wealth by level does not exist and wealth is insane.
OK, this is objectively a bad rule. I don't used WBL, but handing out huge chunks of wealth means there are no real accomplishments. (Especially combined with XP for playing with porpoises.)

However, new PCs do not get nearly as much, even if the player was involved in finding the treasure with a previous PC.
Nothing wrong with that. Players should be rewarded for surviving (since that seems to be the only real goal in this game). If wealth really is that insane, that will cease to matter pretty quickly.

Giving players super-powered weapons and armor almost makes sense: without it they will probably die to those random high-level encounters. However, wagons with extra-dimensional space is just showing off. Any game that is about the bling rather than the role-playing is going to be a less fun game after a while.

(6) Critical fumbles are in effect.
And now we are into the territory of the truly bad. There is only one way to deal with this: try and convince the DM that magic is inherently mystical, ineffable, and unstable, and therefore you would love to see his creativity in coming up with critical successes and failures for each spell. That will solve the problem pretty dang quick.

combat encounters seldom last longer than 2 rounds.
I suspect this is a feature of all high-level games. That said, we are noticing a theme here: no actual danger to the party, no actual sense of accomplishment.

You know what adventure I remember the most? I have lots, from both playing and DMing, but the one I remember the most was a one-on-one game (GURPS, if it matters). The player was simply trying to cross the continent to get to somewhere else (I can't even remember why). We spent weeks on that, with desperate adventures along the way (he was low level). When he finally made it, the sense of accomplishment for both of us was really intense. That's what RPGs are about; that's what makes them fun and engaging.

That’s when the DM said the monster was actually 5 feet farther away, so out of my threat range. Had I known that,
And we're done. A DM that does not allow a player to correct a mistake made because of bad DM-supplied information is a jerk. Full stop. You have a jerk DM. Everything else are merely symptoms.

Yesterday I had another opportunity to shine,
I find that a really odd comment. Are you there to show off your tactical mastery to the other players? Because I don't think you will ultimately find that satisfying, your DM won't let you, and the other players (based on your description) either won't care or won't even notice.

Except there is never any RP.
Well that explains why you focus on the game mechanics. You are not playing a D&D game; you are participating in a group power fantasy. Sounds... icky to me.

we seldom get to a city.
I don't even... what? Are the rails that iron-clad that your characters can't even decide where they go?

I admit, it’s possible she still would have died before anyone could save her, but we didn’t get to try.
Flying alone after a giant spider, just for the thrill of a kill? You guys must be bored out of your skulls.

She was about to refuse when the DM/god offered her a homebrew PrC called Evil Clown.
I think this tells you the nature of the game you are playing. I personally detest clownish games, but whatever.

Warmage was upset because she does not like clowns OOC.
Now let's be fair: that is a perfectly sensible position. :smallbiggrin:

She’s rather upset that the DM offered the class in the first place.
Why isn't she telling the DM this? Didn't you say she's his wife?

OOC drama...
You described this as your wife's primary social outlet... but these people do not like her. You need to find a new social outlet for both of you. You describe Warmage as your wife's friend; I do not think that word means what you seem to think it means.

Also, you need to stop tying your role-playing prowess to your character's combat performance. Why would you do that? Stop doing that. Get down on the battle mat and try to see the world from your character's eyes. That's what makes an engaging experience. Of course,in the game you are playing now, that will never be possible.

Since you probably won't lose these people's phone numbers (thus forcing yourself to reach out and meet new people), the only real advice I can offer you is to offer to run your own game.

Make it small and low-level; keep the encounters easy and straight-forward; but create a reason for the characters to be together and to be there in the first place. One of my better games was when I told the players they all had to be part of the same noble family (with an NPC as the head of the family). I got two sons, a niece, and the family wizard (bound by oath to serve). The social bonds kept them together; their different goals created intrigue and rivalry. That game was ostensibly about finding a magic sword to slay a dragon that threatened the kingdom, but it spent most of its time dealing with the two son's striving to claim the right of succession, the niece trying to get a permanent position in the nobility (including husband-hunting), and the wizard's apprentice having an affair with the head of the family for nefarious reasons; all while they tried to keep their estate running, dealing with bandits and vikings and tournaments. (The magic sword was actually in the 2nd son's scabbard the whole time; they just hadn't put the clues together yet).

Anyway, my point was - nobody remembers a single combat from that game. But the time a knight showed up wearing another noble's armor, only to be revealed as the head of the family longing for one last battle - that they remember. If you can run a game like that, you might succeed in teaching the other DM something useful. Also, you will find it much easier to tolerate his foibles when you only have to do it every other session (and when you know he is trying to tolerate yours).

FocusWolf413
2015-10-06, 06:50 AM
Jerk DMs are never fun. Problem is, they're usually the most stubborn. It also sounds like they don't appreciate you.

Do yourself a favor and find some people who do. Don't throw yourself into this. You're not going to get much out of it. Find a new game.

Seto
2015-10-06, 07:03 AM
I, personally, have no problem with walking away. (I've walked away from this game before, about a year and a half ago.) Part of me does not want to because it feels like doing that would let DM and Warmage win, but I know that feeling is petty. My wife, on the other hand, does not really want to leave. Warmage has been her friend for over a decade. (Warmage also officiated our wedding...) This is one of only two games that my wife plays in, and the other (which I run) is having issues as well due to a certain player. (That bad player is not one of the players listed above.) Other than gaming, she has no real-life social outlet, and does not want to lose what little she has. Also, due to our schedules, the two games are the only times my wife and I really get to do things together.

Given your schedules, the most important thing here is probably to find a solution that lets you retain/improve quality time spent with your wife. My advice is : drop out of the game. Then if Warmage really is a friend to your wife, they'll be able to talk it out more freely. Plus, it frees up some time for you and your wife to regularly do something together (movie night ? going out to eat ? Paintball ? whatever) that both of you actually enjoy. That leaves two times a week where you do something together : the other game (bonus points if you can deal with the problem player) and a time for just the two of you. If you really miss having two games at once, you can always try and find another.

Kesnit
2015-10-06, 06:33 PM
Can you sell stuff to buy stuff? Because otherwise melees are, coloquially speaking, totally ****ed.

No, because I have no treasure to sell. I have 500 gold left after buying my gear. The party had treasure, but Necro had it in her bag of holding when she went after the spider. If she keeps that character, we'll get the treasure back. If she makes a new one, the treasure will be lost with the Necro.

If you want to teach a person something about DMing, you do it by example.

First, the DM won't play in anyone else's game. Second, when I said he doesn't want to learn anything new, I mean "new" 3.5 books and rules that have changed. For example...

1) It was quite a discussion to get him to let me use ToB for my primary class. He had never read the book and had no interest in reading it. He had no idea how the mechanics worked and did not want to learn. (And, to his credit, last time someone tried to play a class out of that book, they really screwed it up. I wasn't involved at the time and don't know what happened, but I've been told it was bad. I also get the impression the problem was not with a ToB class, but some PrC he had from another book, but the DM blamed it on ToB.)

2) He thought damage with slashing and piercing weapons automatically did 1 bleed damage/round until healed. I told him that is a weapon enhancement and does not happen with weapons without it. He didn't believe me, which led to a period where I looked up the weapon enhancement and showed it to him (and he still didn't believe me), and he went through the PHB trying to prove that those weapons do cause extra bleed. (What makes it worse is that I use a slashing weapon, but never added "extra bleed damage" because I knew it didn't exist.)

But going in with an attitude of educating a 20-year veteran is not likely to end well - even if you are right.

I don't set out to educate him. He has a ton of houserules (more than I put in the OP), and seldom tells players what they are until they come up in-game. (Most of his players have played with him long enough to know them.) So when something unexpected comes up, I ask because I'm never sure whether it's a houserule or he's wrong on RAW. When his erroneous rulings hurt (and can kill) PCs, I make a point of asking. (As an aside, had the extra bleed damage been right, it would have killed my PC. While my PC was confused, I got hit by Fighter's slashing weapon. The only PC at game who had any healing ability (the Heal skill), Warmage, refused to heal me, so I would have bled out before the confusion wore off 4 in-game hours later.)

This is insane on many levels. I don't know why an encounter with a porpoise is worth XP,

It wasn't 1 porpoise; it was several. And they were trying to "play with" (read - attack) the PCs. The encounter was to escape from the lake. (Please don't ask me why no one swam to the edge and climbed out. I have no idea.)

I don't know why your characters didn't join the party,

We weren't given the option. Since we didn't go in, we had no need to have to get out.

Again, not a bad rule - assuming your party has some control over what encounters they choose to face; i.e. dangerous areas are clearly marked, or alternatives such as retreat or diplomacy are available.

Yes and no. He has a world-map (hex-grid) where every grid is 1 hour travel time. Every grid, we have to roll for (1) wind speed, (2) wind direction, (3) weather (i.e. rain, fog, clear), and (4) encounter. Once we see the encounter, there is usually the option to bypass. (Some have to be faced.) But if we bypass, there's no XP.

Still not a bad rule - until you get to the part about no IC consequences. Attacking anything should have IC consequences.

To clarify, the IC consequences are what other PCs do about it. Some players will stop PvP if it happens. Some won't.

OK, this is objectively a bad rule. I don't used WBL, but handing out huge chunks of wealth means there are no real accomplishments. (Especially combined with XP for playing with porpoises.)

I'm not so upset with the wealth. I'm more annoyed with the disparity in wealth. I'm a lot less effective than most of the other PCs because I don't have 1 million+ gold to drop on stuff - and as melee, I need stuff. (Winged Boots would be so useful...)

Giving players super-powered weapons and armor almost makes sense: without it they will probably die to those random high-level encounters.

Not really. Most of the encounters are relatively close to the party's CR based on party level. (Some our far outside.) But when wealth far exceeds level, even level-appropriate becomes a joke.

And now we are into the territory of the truly bad. There is only one way to deal with this: try and convince the DM that magic is inherently mystical, ineffable, and unstable, and therefore you would love to see his creativity in coming up with critical successes and failures for each spell. That will solve the problem pretty dang quick.

He used his own table for years. It wasn't any better than the cards.

That said, we are noticing a theme here: no actual danger to the party, no actual sense of accomplishment.

I hadn't thought about it that way, but you are right. There is no real sense of accomplishment because everything is too easy. I'm playing a lockdown Crusader because I like playing a tactical game. It isn't as much fun when everything comes down to "we shoot it with massive damage until it dies."

And we're done. A DM that does not allow a player to correct a mistake made because of bad DM-supplied information is a jerk.

That was my reaction. I even tried to retcon by telling him that if I'd known where the monster was, I would have taken the 5' step. He shut me down and said retcons aren't allowed. I tried to argue that the only reason I didn't take the step on my turn was because according to the mat I didn't need to, but he said that didn't matter.

I find that a really odd comment. Are you there to show off your tactical mastery to the other players?

No. What I meant is that I feel like a Fighter without bonus feats. (Though even the feats I have aren't doing me any good.) I can't do anything because the rest of the party steamrolls everything (since I only get 1 round/combat).

I don't even... what? Are the rails that iron-clad that your characters can't even decide where they go?

No, but it takes forever to get anywhere.

Flying alone after a giant spider, just for the thrill of a kill? You guys must be bored out of your skulls.

We were told there would be treasure. And she thought she could fly out of its range.

Why isn't she telling the DM this? Didn't you say she's his wife?

She did say she and the DM would "have a talk" on their way home. What came of that, I have no idea.

You described this as your wife's primary social outlet... but these people do not like her. You need to find a new social outlet for both of you. You describe Warmage as your wife's friend; I do not think that word means what you seem to think it means.

My wife and I talked this morning, and she is starting to feel the same way.

Also, you need to stop tying your role-playing prowess to your character's combat performance. Why would you do that? Stop doing that. Get down on the battle mat and try to see the world from your character's eyes. That's what makes an engaging experience. Of course,in the game you are playing now, that will never be possible.

In other games, I have no problem separating RP from combat ability. I have been playing in a nWoD game with another group of friends for several years. That system is a lot more conducive to RP, and combat (unless the party looks for it) is rare.

Given your schedules, the most important thing here is probably to find a solution that lets you retain/improve quality time spent with your wife. My advice is : drop out of the game. Then if Warmage really is a friend to your wife, they'll be able to talk it out more freely. Plus, it frees up some time for you and your wife to regularly do something together (movie night ? going out to eat ? Paintball ? whatever) that both of you actually enjoy.

We both really do like gaming, and want to be able to game together. We're going to look for another game on Sundays, though I know it will be difficult. Our local gaming store (where we play now) has fallen out of favor in the past few years with the RP groups, and is now mostly miniture wargaming and collectable card games. But it never hurts to try.

(bonus points if you can deal with the problem player)

We'd both love to get rid of him, but that isn't really possible at the moment.

TheIronGolem
2015-10-06, 07:17 PM
I personally detest the standard rules for dispensing XP, but this is not a bad rule.

It is when some of the players are prevented from participating, like with the OP and his wife in the lake encounter. They were effectively punished for having the nerve not to fall into a lake.

Also, this rule tends to make non-participation worse. If you don't get XP because you had to cancel or have trouble speaking up, then you don't gain power along with the rest of the party. This makes you less able to participate in future encounters, so you get less XP, and so on.

If someone can't or won't participate in the game, you either need to find out what's causing their reluctance and address it if possible, or drop the player.