PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help me make a sniper/marksman!

Sparx MacGyver
2015-10-06, 02:30 AM
Recently I was invited to play in a Pathfinder game by one of my favorite GM's. I jjumped at the oppertunity, but then realized I have no idea what I'm doing. I haven't made a PF character in years. Last time it was a gun toting Rogue using the Scout archetype. So I'm asking for you're help in how ot make a kickass sniper/marksman.

Pretty much anything goes so long as it's Paizo, with DSP thrown in, anything else is likely a no but i can always ask. Guns are allowed, and I've been given a nifty custom rifle. .50 Hunting Rifle at 2d12 dmg.

My scores, not yet applied to any stat, are 18, 18, 16, 14, 14, 12. I'm starting at level 8, but knowing this GM I'll be at level 12 in no time. She gives out EXP like there's no tomorrow.

So what say you, Playgrounders? What kind of build do you suggest?

Azoth
2015-10-06, 02:44 AM
If you can squeeze it in Psicrystal Affinity, Psicrystal Containment, and the feat that let's you regain Psionic focus as a move action are always nice. This way you can keep your focus for abilities that require it, and expend your crystal's focus to power psionic feats/class abilities that require you to expend your focus.

Geddy2112
2015-10-06, 09:49 AM
If you played a rogue scout, and you want a bit more oomph to be a kickass sniper/marksman, consider the slayer(rogue/ranger). Particularly,this slayer archetype (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/slayer/archetypes/paizo---slayer-archetypes/sniper). The main sell being that you can apply sneak attack damage+level at any range. There are also gunslingers (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/gunslinger/archetypes/paizo---gunslinger-archetypes/musket-master) and rangers (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger/archetypes/paizo---ranger-archetypes/trophy-hunter) that fit your bill. It depends; what do you want to do besides 360noscope scrubs?

Your stat's are outright incredible, and with your GM throwing exp around I don't think you are getting bamf stats because they are going to kill you left and right. Which is good for you, because you will be a martial(although a good one) at high levels, so casters will still outshine you. You can dump strength- you only need enough to carry your gun and armor, the rest goes in le bag of holding. You will be proficient with martial weapons, so you can have a sword or something as a backup. Dex is probably your most important stat, along with wisdom for will saves(and grit or spells if you go ranger/gunslinger). Charisma is also a dump, albeit less than strength if you plan to use social skills, or have wild empathy from being a ranger. Con is never a bad thing, but all the classes have good fort saves and hit dice, and you won't be frontline. Intelligence depends entirely on how many skill ranks you want-I like having lots of skill points, but some people dump this.

Before racial mods, I would shoot for
Str12
Dex18
Con14
Int16
Wis18
Cha14

Any race with a boost to dex is a good choice.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-10-06, 10:05 AM
If the PoW: E playtest is on the table you could do a lot worse than a Gunsmoke Mystic or a Desperado Warlord.

TheIronGolem
2015-10-06, 10:56 AM
Hawkguard Warden would serve you well. Also, consider a three-level dip in Musket Master to help your action economy.

Sparx MacGyver
2015-10-06, 03:23 PM
If you played a rogue scout, and you want a bit more oomph to be a kickass sniper/marksman, consider the slayer(rogue/ranger). Particularly,this slayer archetype (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/slayer/archetypes/paizo---slayer-archetypes/sniper). The main sell being that you can apply sneak attack damage+level at any range. There are also gunslingers (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/gunslinger/archetypes/paizo---gunslinger-archetypes/musket-master) and rangers (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger/archetypes/paizo---ranger-archetypes/trophy-hunter) that fit your bill. It depends; what do you want to do besides 360noscope scrubs?
I liked the Rogue/Scout combo becasue at level 8 you got Skirmisher, which lets you apply sneak attack damage if you move more than 10 ft before attacking. Narrows it down to one shot a turn using it, but getting at least an extra 4d6 damage is just nice. Though rereading it, it appears we may have been using it wrong as it doesn';t say anythign about using it at any range.

Your stat's are outright incredible, and with your GM throwing exp around I don't think you are getting bamf stats because they are going to kill you left and right. Which is good for you, because you will be a martial(although a good one) at high levels, so casters will still outshine you. You can dump strength- you only need enough to carry your gun and armor, the rest goes in le bag of holding. You will be proficient with martial weapons, so you can have a sword or something as a backup. Dex is probably your most important stat, along with wisdom for will saves(and grit or spells if you go ranger/gunslinger). Charisma is also a dump, albeit less than strength if you plan to use social skills, or have wild empathy from being a ranger. Con is never a bad thing, but all the classes have good fort saves and hit dice, and you won't be frontline. Intelligence depends entirely on how many skill ranks you want-I like having lots of skill points, but some people dump this.

Before racial mods, I would shoot for
Str12
Dex18
Con14
Int16
Wis18
Cha14

Any race with a boost to dex is a good choice.
Yeah, I usually have good luck rolling my stats. Fortunatly, i rolled them in front of the GM. If going for a dex boost, Halfling, Elf or Half-elf would probably be good. So would just about all the DSP races. Looks like just about all of them have either a +2 to dex or a +2 that can go to any stat. Overall I plan on being a skill monkey, the party face, and maybe healer. Or, as best I can to be those things. My understanding is the party is all combat - 2 fighters that tank, a spellcaster that is heavy on fire, and then me. My primary goal is ranged attacks and skills, with the other two being secondary to help make up for what the party lacks.

If the PoW: E playtest is on the table you could do a lot worse than a Gunsmoke Mystic or a Desperado Warlord.
I'm not sure. I'll have to ask. I know DSP is on the table but I don't think playtests are.

Hawkguard Warden would serve you well. Also, consider a three-level dip in Musket Master to help your action economy.
Hawkguard looks like it could be interesting. I like the Archer training bit.

If you can squeeze it in Psicrystal Affinity, Psicrystal Containment, and the feat that let's you regain Psionic focus as a move action are always nice. This way you can keep your focus for abilities that require it, and expend your crystal's focus to power psionic feats/class abilities that require you to expend your focus.
I'll keep this in mind. If I go with a Psionic character it looks like it would be helpful.

Sparx MacGyver
2015-10-07, 02:18 PM
OK, so the GM decided to take away the rifle. Which changes my plan a little. Instead of sniping, maybe go pistols.

I'm kinda Leaning towards Soulbolt/Rogue, I enjoyed the soulknife so this looks like a fun way to go. But I could go Gunslinger/Marksman, maybe add some Rogue for skills..

The playtests are off the table, so can't do much there.

Arc_knight25
2015-10-08, 08:13 AM
Ranger Archetype that fits your theme would be Trophy Hunter.

Gives you an advanced form of tracking for Animals and Magical beasts. Get to use Grit and Deeds like a gunslinger and get touch AC on favoured enemies.

This all replaces Hunters Bond, Combat style and Wild Empathy.