PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Unlimited Spells?

thecrimsondawn
2015-10-06, 04:15 AM
Think I found a nice combo in the works, however its 4am and I am going to need some sleep soon. I figure this has already been noticed before so I will ask just in case.

The metamagic Echoing Spell is a +3LA that lets you cast a prepared spell again. By its wording a caster such as a wizard would only be able to use it twice then its gone, but in the hands of a spontaneous caster who can decide what to use at the time of casting, one could decide to use this meta magic, and then ignore the "free" second casting of it just to cast the same spell again. Yes it would take full round actions unless you found a way around that, but the potential for a nice combo is there.

I also just noticed that some races give the Wizard a 1/4 reduction to a metamagics LA. If you toss every level into that that is a total of 5 metamagic levels you can negate. That has some serious gears turning in my head right now and this question is one of the results.

Is there a way to give/make the wizard cast spontaneously to make use of this exploit I think I may have found, or did I overlook a flaw with the Echoing Spell ruling ?

Kurald Galain
2015-10-06, 07:20 AM
The metamagic Echoing Spell is a +3LA that lets you cast a prepared spell again. By its wording a caster such as a wizard would only be able to use it twice then its gone, but in the hands of a spontaneous caster who can decide what to use at the time of casting, one could decide to use this meta magic, and then ignore the "free" second casting of it just to cast the same spell again. Yes it would take full round actions unless you found a way around that, but the potential for a nice combo is there.
That doesn't work, because the feat says "No effect that allows you to reprepare or recast a spell can affect the echoed spell."

I also just noticed that some races give the Wizard a 1/4 reduction to a metamagics LA.
Which race is that?

Aldrakan
2015-10-06, 08:28 AM
That doesn't work, because the feat says "No effect that allows you to reprepare or recast a spell can affect the echoed spell."

Also even if that wasn't there, it wouldn't say anything about the first spell, just the second. So the first spell would operate as normal and expend a slot, leaving behind a free "echo". It doesn't say it's not expended until you cast it a second time, which if I understand correctly is how this trick is intended to work.

thecrimsondawn
2015-10-06, 12:55 PM
Also even if that wasn't there, it wouldn't say anything about the first spell, just the second. So the first spell would operate as normal and expend a slot, leaving behind a free "echo". It doesn't say it's not expended until you cast it a second time, which if I understand correctly is how this trick is intended to work.

I like this view of it. It makes a lot of sense when you think about it that way.
Ahh well, im glad its not exploitable like that. I dont want to have to give up pathfinder like I did 3.5 because of crazy broken tricks, but at the same time it is my nature to find them :3