PDA

View Full Version : best lizardlike race

Gambitspades
2015-10-06, 04:46 AM
So i'm building a lizard monk ish character.
and so far i am probably goin for the Dragonkin race (draconomicon)
but if you know a better one let me know

Heads up : We have 2 Free level adjust (so LA+2 counts as LA+0) so you can combine with templates and stuff
its an evil campaign

Agahnim
2015-10-06, 04:51 AM
Even without Dragonwrought cheese, kobolds are a favorite. But they are weaker than most PHB races, so unless you can redeem your free LA as other benefits (such as class levels), you're going to be weaker than the others. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Sian
2015-10-06, 05:53 AM
I'd probably start with Poisondusk Lizardfolk (MM3) and add your favorite +1LA template

Gambitspades
2015-10-06, 06:23 AM
https://cdn.weasyl.com/static/media/48/11/99/481199903b5a3a5635144a00cefdeeec1233951532742a6887 9f13a40fc6b154.jpg
this is the idea

Belzyk
2015-10-06, 06:55 AM
Like above poster said. Tgat one lizard race. With templates. (BS getting the Saint template as a corrupted version) with some corrupted version of VoP makes them stupid epic

Selion
2015-10-06, 07:13 AM
Even without Dragonwrought cheese, kobolds are a favorite. But they are weaker than most PHB races, so unless you can redeem your free LA as other benefits (such as class levels), you're going to be weaker than the others. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I love kobolds! A kobold monk following "the way of the dragon" (dragon style feats), filled with high ideals, would be really funny.

Fouredged Sword
2015-10-06, 07:21 AM
What is Monkish? I really like the lizardfolk race. Add in a really good template like Feral or maybe dark if you want to be sneaky. The bonus to str and con help with mad and the penalty to int doesn't really hurt a wis focused class. Feral will turn those racial HD into alright mosterus humanoid HD (so full bab). The big natural armor bonus and natural weapons make a lack of equipment hurt less.

Greenish
2015-10-06, 08:01 AM
7 RHD pretty much murder Dragonkin, even if Monstrous Humanoid is full BAB.

Do you specifically want Large size or native Flight, or just lizardy guy?

A dragonborn (RotD) half-ogre (RoD) would be Large, +2 LA, generally draconic in appearance, and suitable for lactose-intolerants and people who distrust Dragon Magazine.

Essence_of_War
2015-10-06, 08:03 AM
So i'm building a lizard monk ish character.
and so far i am probably goin for the Dragonkin race (draconomicon)
but if you know a better one let me know

Heads up : We have 2 Free level adjust (so LA+2 counts as LA+0) so you can combine with templates and stuff
its an evil campaign

So you get free LA+2 and you're starting at 7th level or higher? (Implied by the racial hit dice of Dragonkin from Draconomicon)

Dragonkin are a fine chasis, but you don't get a lot of useful class features from them. Regular Lizardfolk + an LA+1 template (Draconic? Mineral Warrior?) seems like it would be a more effective choice. You still have a 2 RHD, but it's not 7 RHD, so you'll actually have some class features.

Darrin
2015-10-06, 09:13 AM
Kinda partial to Neraphim, but technically they're outsiders rather than reptilian. I've also got a soft spot for Muckdwellers (Stoneblessed + Mountain Rage).

Solaris
2015-10-06, 09:21 AM
I'd probably start with Poisondusk Lizardfolk (MM3) and add your favorite +1LA template

I kinda like the half-minotaur or half-ogre templates from Dragon for this one.

Grim Portent
2015-10-06, 09:23 AM
Feral (LA+1) Half-Ogre (LA+1) Web-Enhanced-Kobold perhaps?

Medium size, lots of natural attacks, fast healing, moves quickly, no RHD to put up with, decent physical stats, the dragonblood subtype if your interested in draconic feats.

Rebel7284
2015-10-06, 10:09 AM
Half Minotaur Half Ogre Kobold is a large creature with slight build which can be nice for fitting in dungeons. :)

Putting Chameleon Creature on any humanoid grants the reptilian subtype for +1 LA and a cool tongue attack.

Val666
2015-10-06, 10:17 AM
Poisondusk Lizardfolk (MM3) + Feral or Draconic should do well. Since you are going monkish, remember to grab the Beast Strike feat so you can add your claw damage to your unarmed strikes.

Andezzar
2015-10-06, 01:19 PM
Kinda partial to Neraphim, but technically they're outsiders rather than reptilian.Aren't they toadlike and not lizardlike?

The Viscount
2015-10-06, 01:36 PM
They're offshoots of the slaadi which are kind of toadlike, but have somewhat reptilian characteristics depending on the art. They do skew more towards the wide mouth and no tail.