PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Nasty low level guards (optimization)

Selion
2015-10-06, 04:58 AM
In order to balance action economy in the next encounter (APL 12, CR 16), i'm bringing in some low level fighters. They shouldn't be too complex characters (they are there only to bother the PCs), but they should pose a little threat, otherwise they will be simply ignored during the fight.
This is what i came up with, i'm quite satisfied, so im sharing this.

Elite queen guard (CR 3)
Human Fighter 4th (archetipe phalanx soldier)

PF 34 (4d10 + 12)

CA 22 (full plate +9, shield +2, dex +1)

TS Fort +6 Ref +3 Will + 1

Attacks: mwk bardiche +9 (1d10 + 5 19-20)

Str 16 Dex 14 Cos 14 int 10 sag 10 cha 10

Feats: weapon focus (bardiche), weapon specialization (bardiche), bodyguard, wall shield (teamwork), paired opportunist (teamwork), combat reflexes.

Gear: full plate, mwk bardiche, shield, a pair of first level potions

Strategy: these guys packed have a +4 shield bonus (shield wall), and can abuse from bodyguard, paired opportunist and combat reflexes, if someone try to charge at them, the 2 adjacent guards can use bodyguard to give the target +2 CA (total CA 28).
They have reach on their bardiches, so if someone move trough the threatned area of 2 guards, he suffers 2 attacks of opportunity with a bonus of +13 (+4 for paired opportunist)

Gandariel
2015-10-06, 05:15 AM
How do you use a polearm and a shield at the same time? Also why 5 hit die if they are level 4 and cr3 ?

Hamste
2015-10-06, 05:28 AM
How do you use a polearm and a shield at the same time? Also why 5 hit die if they are level 4 and cr3 ?
If I had to guess they were probably thinking Phalanx soldier not polearm master. Not sure about the 5 hit die but a creature with just 4 levels in a pc class are cr 3 in pathfinder.

Also may I suggest antagonize? Nothing says don't ignore me like antagonize.

Selion
2015-10-06, 05:37 AM
If I had to guess they were probably thinking Phalanx soldier not polearm master. Not sure about the 5 hit die but a creature with just 4 levels in a pc class are cr 3 in pathfinder.

Also may I suggest antagonize? Nothing says don't ignore me like antagonize.

They are 4 hit dies, i just wrote wrong... Yes, you are right, it is the phalanx soldier which has that ability, so they have not the +1 to attacks of opportunity, i'll edit the post.

TIPOT
2015-10-06, 05:58 AM
If you're willing to use 3.5 material you could use 4th level knights with high charisma and ability focus (test of mettle). Spam test of mettle until a pc fails a save. Then they're forced to target the knight first who can take combat expertise and various shield feats to turtle.

Selion
2015-10-06, 06:01 AM
If you're willing to use 3.5 material you could use 4th level knights with high charisma and ability focus (test of mettle). Spam test of mettle until a pc fails a save. Then they're forced to target the knight first who can take combat expertise and various shield feats to turtle.

It could be effective, but as a player i would be upset if the dm would force me a behaviour just because the enemy is taunting me.
Better let the players decide what to do.

Yahzi
2015-10-06, 06:05 AM
i'm bringing in some low level fighters.
Ballista. 3D6 touch attacks from 0th level soldiers, at a nice healthy range.

Why don't people use more ballista? IRL, if the Romans were facing super-heroes and monsters they would have had ballista all over the place.

That said I like your squad. Teamwork is how mortals beat heroes.

Selion
2015-10-06, 07:02 AM
IRL, if the Romans were facing super-heroes and monsters

They didnt teach me history the way they should have had :|

FocusWolf413
2015-10-06, 07:25 AM
History is boring? Let's just pretend it was different. Yayyyyy!!!

Joking aside, ballistas are a good idea. Take a look at the Commoner's Handbook. You also might want the Knights to throw barrels of acid at the party.

Segev
2015-10-06, 07:52 AM
Side note: the ToB and even 4e did the "taunt" type mechanics better: rather than compelling behavior, it instead rewards "desired" behavior and penalizes "undesired" behavior. Want to convince somebody to attack that knight first? He gives a significant penalty to hit anybody but him. Want to discourage attacking that person over there? Make doing so more dangerous.

Greenish
2015-10-06, 08:23 AM
Ballista. 3D6 touch attacks from 0th level soldiers, at a nice healthy range.Touch attacks? I can't find that on PFSRD.

SorenKnight
2015-10-07, 08:26 PM
Yahzi, could you show me how siege weapons can make touch attacks? Is it a feat? I know one of my players would be delighted to see that.