PDA

View Full Version : lich question?

Belzyk
2015-10-06, 11:09 AM
Couldn't a lich theoretically hide its phylactry in the far realm? They are Immune to ability ams energy drain. Wouldn't that stop them from going insane from exposure to the Far Realm? I mean besides they could just planeshift out of there.

TheCrowing1432
2015-10-06, 11:23 AM
Couldn't a lich theoretically hide its phylactry in the far realm? They are Immune to ability ams energy drain. Wouldn't that stop them from going insane from exposure to the Far Realm? I mean besides they could just planeshift out of there.

Liches need to inhabit the same plane as their phylactry to function.

Belzyk
2015-10-06, 11:26 AM
That's not in the MM o.O

TheCrowing1432
2015-10-06, 11:32 AM
Maybe its not to function, but to reform.

I know I read somewhere that liches need to be on the same plane of their phylactry to do something.

Belzyk
2015-10-06, 11:37 AM
The only thing I've read is Libris Mortis BS that says it can't have magical effects on it

ArendK
2015-10-06, 12:00 PM
I hate that they say phylacteries can't have enchantments of other kinds; I tormented the hell out of my players years ago when they were constantly using fireball/lightning bolt/etc. etc. on both the enemies and I used a Ring of Evasion as the phylactery...they were so pissed...

Melcar
2015-10-06, 12:36 PM
I hate that they say phylacteries can't have enchantments of other kinds; I tormented the hell out of my players years ago when they were constantly using fireball/lightning bolt/etc. etc. on both the enemies and I used a Ring of Evasion as the phylactery...they were so pissed...

Put the phylactery in an adamantine box, put that into globe of invunerability and put that into a prismatic sphere. Make sue everything is invisible, and put it on you own plane. Deep in the earth.

Svata
2015-10-06, 12:42 PM
Maybe its not to function, but to reform.

I know I read somewhere that liches need to be on the same plane of their phylactry to do something.

No, they just reform wherever their phylactery is. Which can be awkward if it's in certain areas.

OldTrees1
2015-10-06, 01:00 PM
Do not put your phylactery in Danger. The denizens of the Far Realms have an infinite number of rounds to destroy your Phylactery between each of your rounds.

Belzyk
2015-10-06, 01:03 PM
Do not put your phylactery in Danger. The denizens of the Far Realms have an infinite number of rounds to destroy your Phylactery between each of your rounds.

True I guess it would be safer releasing Pan with the stipulation it protect the little coin lol

Deophaun
2015-10-06, 01:30 PM
If it's in the Far Realm, creatures in the Far Realm can still find it and do things to it.

Instead, put it in a secret chest. Destroy the focus. Let the chest be lost. As long as you know plane shift, you're good.

Still paranoid? Put your phylactery in a box inside the secret chest. Permanancy an animate object spell on the box. Craft Contingent Spell greater plane shift on the box to bring it to a simple, empty, hidden chamber when the secret chest is breached in any way. The chamber has a skull watch to alert you when the box arrives. Reset.

And you can just get more ridiculous from there. You do it right, and there will be no way to even divine that your phylactery exists, let alone where it is, even if people accidentally find it.

noob
2015-10-06, 01:33 PM
In addition if you have like lord Voldemort the feat human heritage you can become lich multiple times and have multiple phylacteries.

Vrock_Summoner
2015-10-06, 01:42 PM
In addition if you have like lord Voldemort the feat human heritage you can become lich multiple times and have multiple phylacteries.
I suppose that's not the worst possible way to hike up your ECL so much you never gain another level.

Deophaun
2015-10-06, 01:47 PM

You're better off casting Aumvor’s fragmented phylactery instead.

noob
2015-10-06, 01:53 PM
I did not knew such an epic spell existed
also one other thing is that some times there is campaigns where it stops at level 20 because the GM does not wants to mess up with epic rules and in this case stacking lich transformation works(but it will probably be counted in your level base wealth but you stack int gains and that is really good).
Then I have seen tons of people banning epic spells.
Otherwise it is purely better.

OldTrees1
2015-10-06, 02:22 PM
I did not knew such an epic spell existed
also one other thing is that some times there is campaigns where it stops at level 20 because the GM does not wants to mess up with epic rules and in this case stacking lich transformation works(but it will probably be counted in your level base wealth but you stack int gains and that is really good).
Then I have seen tons of people banning epic spells.
Otherwise it is purely better.

Sounds like you mean Demilich (since Lich's ability to have a Phylactery is redundant) although if you are using a ECL 20 cap, then even the +8 LA of Lich*2 is too much.

Honest Tiefling
2015-10-06, 02:29 PM
I say, go ahead. Screw the rules, and keep those players on their feet. As long as you are consistent and give the players a heads up rules have changed (and they are okay with it) and the ability to figure things out, who really cares?

Through I think the biggest problem would be that of tone. A lich's mind is still just that of a dude, even if they are mechanically immune to ability drain/damage. The Far Realm in various incarnations is not a place to mess with and has driven even aberrations insane. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if there was a reference to a god going insane from that place. And yet some random dude just sorta wanders in and uses it as a bookshelf to store his things?

Deophaun
2015-10-06, 02:49 PM
Sounds like you mean Demilich (since Lich's ability to have a Phylactery is redundant) although if you are using a ECL 20 cap, then even the +8 LA of Lich*2 is too much.
You need to be a Wizard, Sorcerer, or Cleric of 21st level (not mere caster level) in order to craft the soul gems.

OldTrees1
2015-10-06, 02:51 PM
You need to be a Wizard, Sorcerer, or Cleric of 21st level (not mere caster level) in order to craft the soul gems.

Doh! Oh, right.

Belzyk
2015-10-06, 03:29 PM
I say, go ahead. Screw the rules, and keep those players on their feet. As long as you are consistent and give the players a heads up rules have changed (and they are okay with it) and the ability to figure things out, who really cares?

Through I think the biggest problem would be that of tone. A lich's mind is still just that of a dude, even if they are mechanically immune to ability drain/damage. The Far Realm in various incarnations is not a place to mess with and has driven even aberrations insane. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if there was a reference to a god going insane from that place. And yet some random dude just sorta wanders in and uses it as a bookshelf to store his things?

Well I mean kobold wizard lich....I mean Kobold ya know SCREW THE RULES!!!!

Svata
2015-10-06, 09:45 PM
Or you could just go dry lich.