PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Ghost Hauntings

DireSickFish
2015-10-06, 12:14 PM
I'm going to have a classic haunted mansion for the party to investigate in one of my upcoming games. I want there to be a good back story to the ghost(s) haunting it and for the players to be able to get rid of it by solving its unfinished business. I'm drawing a blank on what would keep a soul bound to this mortal coil and how you could solve it years after the fact.

The area is heavily forested and the town is small 1,300 people rural farming community. There is only one other mansion in the town and that's owned by the Mayor so they'd have a lot of money from somewhere.

Any ghost ideas to help a struggling DM out?

Daishain
2015-10-06, 12:55 PM
Most strong emotional attachments are going to involve fellow mortals, expiring when they do. Tough to get vengeance on someone who died of old age a few centuries ago. The next largest category would be a sense of duty.

Given the context, how's this? The family was responsible for the guardianship of a powerful artifact, one that could cause much harm in the wrong hands. The last heir died prior to passing on this burden, and in the absence of a suitable replacement, continues to guard the item and the place within which it is stored. Players have the opportunity to prove themselves as worthy caretakers.

manny2510
2015-10-06, 03:59 PM
You tried to kill your twin brother to get his land. You bought purple worm poison intended for him but in an accident you cut your hand clutching it, killing you instantly. Out of spite you kill the inhabitants for what you may never own yourself.