PDA

View Full Version : Grasping at Shadows: Questions on the Occult and Related Subjects

Thunderfist12
2015-10-06, 03:52 PM
Don't judge me.

But I was wondering if anyone knows of other major occult books to read besides the Key of Solomon, the Clavicula, or Grimorium Verum, because I want to know more on demonology.

Before you ask, I AM NOT A SATANIST. I simply wish to know more about these spirits. The subject is fascinating, to say the least.

Eldan
2015-10-06, 07:39 PM
The Pseudomonarchia Daemonum, I guess, though I have no idea if translations exist. Probably do. Three Books Concerning Occult Philosophy, by Agrippa. The Book of Abramelin, probably, though I don't know it, except from summaries.

If you want to go to the very, very ancient roots, The Book of Enoch, the whole Hermetica, especially the Emerald Tablets, the Chaldaen Oracles, The Book of Thoth, Book of Coming Forth by Day...

Really, there's tons.

Edit: and the Sefer Yetzirah.

Thunderfist12
2015-10-06, 07:57 PM
Thnks, man; I've been looking for books on this stuff for, like, forever.

Eldan
2015-10-06, 08:01 PM
Oh, and for something a bit more modern and understandable, the Dictionnaire Infernal, which is from the 19th century, draws from the pseudomonarchia and the Key and is nicely illustrated.

MrZJunior
2015-10-07, 05:21 AM
Have you tried The Grimoire of Pope Honorius or The Sworn Book of Honorius?

The Roman philosopher Porphyry might have some things in his extended works which might interest you. I know he has guides to pagan rituals, but I have also heard references to his discussion of demons.

Thunderfist12
2015-10-07, 09:11 AM
Awesome, more books. Keep 'em coming.

Greenish
2015-10-08, 06:42 AM
Before you ask, I AM NOT A SATANIST.Asking someone about their religious views would be against forum rules anyway.

Malleus Maleficarum goes into some detail about devils and their influence. Probably not the most pleasant read though.

GolemsVoice
2015-10-08, 07:14 AM
You could also try the more modern stuff, like Alistair Crowley's works. Maybe Blavatsky?

Thunderfist12
2015-10-08, 10:36 PM
Cool. I didn't think I'd get very many responses to this. :smallbiggrin: I'll look into those.

Telonius
2015-10-09, 08:10 AM
Are you interested in just the primary works, or scholarly works about them as well? Depending on what part of "the occult" you're looking at, some comparative mythology works might be helpful. Art History can be good as well, if you're looking at (for instance) iconography, or how the "traditional" Tarot deck came about. If you're more interested in the old alchemical writings, if you can find an annotated collection of Paracelsus that's a good primary. If you're looking into demonology specifically, most of those primary sources are religious texts; you can probably get a good idea of where to look from Wikipedia.

I suppose it goes without saying that there is a lot written about the subject that's either complete nonsense or completely modern inventions, even if you take the primary sources at face value.