PDA

View Full Version : D&D online play

oxybe
2015-10-06, 04:35 PM
So I haven't been able to play with my group for months now, since I started my new job and work evenings during our normal play days. I spoke with our shift manager and unfortunately I can't get that day off. Ah well. Better to have no D&D then no housing, right?

I do get Sundays off regularly though and saturdays almost as much so I went to the FLGS the last few weekends and... empty. It was either the owner's son or wife manning the register being bored during the day or the owner doing busywork at night.

So Sundays locally is a bust. Saturdays was mostly Magic the Gathering day and I wouldn't want to grab a table from them. I know the owner of the store well enough and the MtG guys are pretty big spenders, while D&D people tend to buy a few cans of pop each and that's it. In a venue like this i'd rather he get his high-paying customers.

There's one "looking for players" sign up but it's been there since time immemorial.

So I tried finding online games to play on skype or something using roll 20 / fantasy grounds, but either they're on days I can't guarantee my presence regularly (any weekday) or seem to be far more serious then the more casual atmosphere I'm looking for, or there is no information on the campaign at all, just a title, and while i'm looking for casual, that's a bit too casual.

Anyone else have problems trying to find a group to play online with? I'm also not interested in play by posts, as I tried them once or twice and found the slow pacing to be a personal turn-off.

Sacrieur
2015-10-07, 09:38 PM
Roll20 is supposed to have groups.

I always thought Sundays were the most common choice because most people tend to have an open schedule then.

slaydemons
2015-10-08, 11:08 PM
Well I myself have had troubles finding online groups mostly because I don't do well with people I don't know. I have only once went out of my way to find a group I knew no one in, and the game way a mostly bust, I only made friends with two of them out of a group of seven. I might have to look into getting into another group myself since my current gaming group seems to be out of commission for now. if you need a buddy to try and find a group with I don't mind helping. this is like the first time in a while that my Saturday and Sundays are not completely free, but I can find ways to get online if need be.

Gray Mage
2015-10-09, 11:22 AM
I've seen people try to find a group here in the forum to play in roll20/skype/somesuch. Maybe try that out, start a thread looking for people (sorry if you've already tried that)?

oxybe
2015-10-09, 11:41 AM
The three pathfinder games on roll20 for sundays are either a Swordart Online based one, of which I know SaO is an anime about people stuck in a game but little else, one has 22 players and I have no want for a game that big. the third only expects to play once, maybe twice per month which I would prefer a more regular game. Of the 5th ed ones I would be interested in, they either have a boatload of applicants already or are in languages I don't speak, like portugese or homestuck.

I don't think I'm too fussy, but I'm about to give up on trying to find a game to play, period.

oxybe
2015-10-09, 11:46 AM
I've seen people try to find a group here in the forum to play in roll20/skype/somesuch. Maybe try that out, start a thread looking for people (sorry if you've already tried that)?

haven't asked on here, but the games I saw were posts for PBP ones so I figured online play wasn't active here

Sacrieur
2015-10-09, 12:02 PM
It's weird to think that DMs are in demand instead of the other way around.

Gray Mage
2015-10-09, 12:06 PM
haven't asked on here, but the games I saw were posts for PBP ones so I figured online play wasn't active here

It's more uncommon (not a surprise considering that people from all over the world are here), but they pop from time to time and I myself played on roll20 in a group found here, before college got my free time and I had to drop out. Still, if you're in the US (or similar time zone) as most people here (an assumption, but I think a correct one), you might find a group of like minded fellows.

Heck, if I had saturdays free I'd be up for playing with you.

Good luck if you open a thread looking for people.

Deaxsa
2015-10-09, 02:51 PM
If you post as a DM with that intent, you should see people join pretty quick. That's if you're willing and able to DM of course. Actually, I'd only worry about the 'willing' bit, people will sit through games that aren't great and beginner DMs happily (it's a social setting too, remember), and you'll get to practice DMing, which is great for better understand ing how the game works, how people play, how to build characters, how to act to help the DM (as a player), and many other things.

Gnoman
2015-10-10, 02:42 PM
I've tried recruiting a Maptool group here before a few times, didn't work out so well.

oxybe
2015-10-10, 04:06 PM
I've probably been playing D&D longer then some of the younger people on the boards have been alive, having started in the later years of 2nd ed's run.

I would run, but to be honest, I'd much rather play. I ran a few games in the past and the organizational skills needed to herd the metaphorical cats called player characters and NPCs were just not up my alley.

I might write up a post in the looking for games section.