PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Spells with Metamagic Master / Magical Lineage

Johanas
2015-10-06, 05:37 PM
Hello fellow Playgrounders. I put this up on the Paizo forums a few hours ago, but don't have any bites. Anyone have any suggestions?

So we have a game starting up soon, and I am putting together an arcanist with tons of metamagic. I'll be taking Additional Traits to grab Metamagic Master and Magical Lineage. I'll be starting with Outlander for the increase to caster level for 3 spells.

Little Information about the character:

He'll be a Half-Elf Brown-Fur Transmuter, and I'll be also focusing on raising my caster level for dispel purposes via the Counterspell Exploit. Since I won't be using Dispel Magic terribly often, I'm not 100% sure if I should make Dispel Magic or Greater Dispel Magic one or two of the spells I raise with Outlander.

So lots of counterspelling and ally buffing.

My question is in 3 parts:

What other spells to choose for Outlander? Any particular buff spells that jump out as benefitting more from an extra caster level? My initial thought is of course spells that have a duration counted in rounds.

Secondly, what spells should I work reduce the metamagic costs on with Metamagic Master and Magical Lineage? Please keep in mind I'm not thinking blasty spells or metamagic feats.

Lastly, what metamagic feats should I actually take, and what feats to acquire via metamagic rods? I'm liking the idea of the Extend Spell and Spell Tinkerer combination to ensure that my buffs last forever, but otherwise I'm drawing a blank.

Here is Metamagic Master: Choose a spell of 3rd level or below. When you use the chosen spell with a metamagic feat, it uses up a spell slot one level lower than it normally would.

And Magical Lineage: Pick one spell when you choose this trait. When you apply metamagic feats to this spell that add at least 1 level to the spell, treat its actual level as 1 lower for determining the spell's final adjusted level.

Lastly, Outlander: You gain a +1 trait bonus on Knowledge (arcana) checks, and Knowledge (arcana) is a class skill for you. If you cast arcane spells, pick three spells on your spell list. You are particularly adept at casting these spells, so they function at +1 caster level when you cast them, and their save DCs (if any) gain a +1 bonus.

I will taking Craft Wondrous Item to grab the Kimono too, not to worry there.

So, what input can you offer?

Psyren
2015-10-06, 06:05 PM
"What spells should I choose/reduce" is tough to get bites on because the question is so broad. There are a LOT of spells in PF and more with every splat. My suggestion is to start with a wizard or arcanist handbook, pick a short list of spells you like, and then have folks evaluate those - and very often, when they see that you like spell X, they might say "oh you should take Spell Y instead, it's like X but better."

For metamagic, as an Arcanist, Echoing Spell is a good idea because you have limited slots - plus as a Brown Fur you will be using a lot of "toolbox magic" that can be safely spammed in just about any combat, so you can get mileage out of your slots. Reach Spell is also good so that you can buff your allies without having to touch them.

Consider also getting a tough familiar or animal companion that you can buff up with your shifting magic. An Improved Familiar or Mauler archetype can be handy for this, or you can acquire an animal companion via one of several methods.

Johanas
2015-10-06, 06:35 PM
See, that's exactly what I needed to hear. I will look up a few spells and throw them up here! Thanks Psyren; Echoing Spell is a TERRIFIC idea.