PDA

View Full Version : Roy, Belkar/MoJ (Spoiler)

teratorn
2007-05-20, 08:35 PM
One thing coming out of this fight is what will happen to Belkar if AC is lost.

If I understood well the definition of a bag of holding keeping Roy's corpse there would not do, unless they put Belkar there with Roy. But then Belkar would suffocate in 10 minutes. So it seems Belkar is stuck with carrying Roy's corpse with him. Even without armor Roy is likely too heavy for him, same for V.

Maybe that can be Miko's task!

the mysterian
2007-05-20, 08:44 PM
um cant somebody else do it, like elan, he hasnt died yet or anything soooo

teratorn
2007-05-20, 08:49 PM
um cant somebody else do it, like elan, he hasnt died yet or anything soooo

Not likely, last time he tried to carry something he sprained his wrist (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0198.html).

He's a weakling, and it's not a good thing to burden your cleric or rogue with something heavy.

the mysterian
2007-05-20, 08:50 PM
what about hinjo? or get a horse, or drag him?

Demented
2007-05-20, 09:53 PM
Why, exactly, would it be impossible to hold Roy's corpse in a bag of holding, unless Belkar happens to be in there also? O.o

teratorn
2007-05-20, 10:03 PM
Why, exactly, would it be impossible to hold Roy's corpse in a bag of holding, unless Belkar happens to be in there also? O.o

The bag in itself is a bit of cloth, but according to the definiton «The bag of holding opens into a nondimensional space». As I see it, the inside of a bag of holding is a volume outside of this plane. Once inside the bag Roy would be out of this world and thus not within the distance limit imposed to Belkar.

Fawkes
2007-05-20, 10:04 PM
It may activate the Mark of Justice.

factotum
2007-05-21, 01:00 AM
The bag in itself is a bit of cloth, but according to the definiton «The bag of holding opens into a nondimensional space». As I see it, the inside of a bag of holding is a volume outside of this plane. Once inside the bag Roy would be out of this world and thus not within the distance limit imposed to Belkar.

I suppose it really depends on whether the distance to this extradimensional space is determined to be the ACTUAL distance involved (in which case, how the heck do you measure that? Multidimensional tape measures aren't common equipment :smallsmile: ), or the distance via the mouth of the Bag of Holding.

teratorn
2007-05-21, 01:19 AM
I suppose it really depends on whether the distance to this extradimensional space is determined to be the ACTUAL distance involved

My guess is that once inside the bag it's like the object had vanished from this world. Hence it is not at a given distance from other stuff simply because it is not in this world.

On the other hand, how much of Roy's corpse is needed for MoJ purposes? Maybe Belkar just needs to chop his head off? Hey Eye of Fear and Flame meet Roy!

In Belkar's the Shoeless God of War statues the sculptors will need to carve two heads at his hands.

Panda Lord
2007-05-21, 01:28 AM
I don't think they'd need a Bag of Holding to carry Roy's body. If Durkon couldn't do the job, then they could simply use some sort of levitation spell of V's (assuming he/she rests before they find Roy's body) . Although you bring up a good point with the whole Mark of Justice thing.

kpenguin
2007-05-21, 01:34 AM
It's already been said that none of the OOTS can carry him (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0038.html). I doubt that V has learned any telekinetic spells since then. How exactly would they be able to put him in a Bag of Holding if they can't pick him up?

teratorn
2007-05-21, 02:03 AM
It's already been said that none of the OOTS can carry him (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0038.html). I doubt that V has learned any telekinetic spells since then. How exactly would they be able to put him in a Bag of Holding if they can't pick him up?

That was with his armor. But you're right, all of them seem to be on the weak side. They can always put his armor and sheathed sword inside a bag and only deal with the body (even so I doubt they are strong enough). Hey, they may even carry him around "invisible".

factotum
2007-05-21, 05:01 AM
It's already been said that none of the OOTS can carry him (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0038.html). I doubt that V has learned any telekinetic spells since then.

I don't see why V couldn't have learned such spells. After all, the Giant implied that the characters way back at the beginning of the comic were around 6-9th level, whereas we know V has to be at least level 13 now to do what he did at the breach--that's at least 4 levels gained since the beginning of the strip. We also know he was learning new spells in Azure City's library because of the joke strip about it taking a whole day (and 7 spellbook pages) to scribe the single word that is Power Word: Blind.

monsterinshadow
2007-05-21, 07:09 AM
we already know that v possesses (that is possibly the greatest word ever!) the basic spell mage hand. which, may i remind you all, is technically a telekenetic spell.

Cade Shadow
2007-05-21, 05:42 PM
Perhaps they could keep the bag of holding open and only have Belkar's head stick out? His arms as well so that he can move himself. At battle time they could dump Roy's body out of the bag of holding and Belkar could fight.