PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Bardic College (College of the Maestro)(WIP)(PEACH)

TopCheese
2015-10-06, 09:02 PM
Maestro suggestion by Pyon

Maestro: A bard that guides the battles to a favorable outcome by dictating the tempo and flow of allies and enemies.

Maestro Performance (3rd level): A creature needs only see you to benefit from your Bard class features. This does not apply to spellcasting.

Inspire Tempo (3rd level): You learn to subtly change the tempo of the battlefield. Whenever a creature moves you may, as a reaction, expend a Bardic Inspiration die to double or halve the speed of the creature. Creatures that have their speed increase don't provoke OA for moving.

Additionally you or any creature that has a Bardic Inspiration die from you may expend one to cast the spell Feather Fall.

Perfect Tempo (6th Level): You learn the spells Haste and Slow. Once per short rest you may cast either spell as a bonus action but only on other creatures. Whenever you cast Haste or Slow you may ignore the verbal component.

Maestro Supreme (14th level): Whenever you cast Slow, creatures do not gain the initial saving throw. They have disadvantage on the saving throw on their next turn. After that they may make saving throws at the end of their turn as normal.

Additionally ceatures under the affect of your Haste spell are immune to the effects of the lethargy and don't lose their actions the round after the spell is finished.

÷÷÷÷

Maestro Spells

The following spells are added to the bard spell list.

Fortissimo
Conjuration Cantrip
Casting Time: 1 Bonus Action
Range: Personal
Components: V
Duration: 1 Round

You cause the next spell you cast, before the start of your next turn, to become incredibly loud as instruments made of force surround and play where the magic is directed. The music can be heard clearly by creatures up to 500' away.

When you do this you may ignore the somatic components for a spell.

Conjure Musical Instruments
3rd level conjuration
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: 60'
Components: V S
Duration: Concentration or 1 hour

Presto
4th level Transmutation
Components: V S
Duration: Instantaneous

You target a creature, that creature's initiative becomes your initiative -1. If the creature has already acted this round they must wait until the next round in order to act.

An unwilling creature gains a Constitution save to negate the effects.

Special: You must have the Bardic College of the Maestro subclass to learn this spell.

Conjure Grand Maestro
9th Level Commutation
Components: V , S
Duration: Until the end of your next long rest

Special: You must have the Bardic College of the Maestro subclass to learn this spell.

jkat718
2015-10-06, 09:27 PM
This is...interesting. Not sure I'm qualified to respond in terms of balance, but it's very counter-based. Sounds like it'd be tons of fun to play! :smallsmile:

Pyon
2015-10-07, 03:16 AM
Not what I had in mind but still really cool! Love how it's based so much on speed and initiative.

TopCheese
2015-10-07, 05:35 AM
This is...interesting. Not sure I'm qualified to respond in terms of balance, but it's very counter-based. Sounds like it'd be tons of fun to play! :smallsmile:

Thanks! With how weirdly 5e is already balanced (especially the bard) I don't think this should break things all that much.

This subclass is about making others better for the most part but still has a way to debuff enemies and gives you incentive to use Slow over Haste, way to many people automatically choose haste cause it doesn't get saved against.

Not what I had in mind but still really cool! Love how it's based so much on speed and initiative.
Thanks!

Your original idea of flying instruments will come into play via conjuring spells. The Bard subclass isn't really meant to give such a huge class feature to the bard.

Wotc deigned some subclasses to be the meat of the class and others to be the potatoes.

Edit: Gave a name for the level 14 feature, I figured that if there was a Sorcerer Supreme and Scientist Supreme then a Maestro Supreme would be cool to have too.