PDA

View Full Version : Gods and other extraplanar beings

dyslexicfaser
2007-05-20, 08:51 PM
For the 'standard mythos' of DnD. I can't find a list of these guys on the WotC website, does anyone have a link, a list itself, or a particular sourcebook that would be useful?

Everyman
2007-05-20, 08:56 PM
If you're having trouble finding information on the standard pantheon, it's because that is the intellectual property of WotC and therefore not part of OGL. However, there are a few sources available. Obviously, we have the PHB entries, but there are also great write-ups in Complete Divine and Deities and Demigods (including other pantheons there).

I haven't read Complete Champion yet (Complete Div. 2.0), but I would assume there would be material there as well.

dyslexicfaser
2007-05-20, 09:26 PM
I almost hate to ask, but, PHB?

Hamster_Ninja
2007-05-20, 09:30 PM
Players Handbook, and its in Chapter 6 page 106-108

Khantalas
2007-05-20, 09:31 PM
Player's Handbook? The most basic D&D book? Other than anything you might get out of the Starters' Kit, or whatever it is called, but still...

dyslexicfaser
2007-05-20, 09:49 PM
I have a players handbook I got a few years ago, but page 106-108 is the start of Chapter 7, on magic.

EDIT: You know, I think the problem is the players handbook I have. It looks like it's actually a 2ed handbook :smallfrown:

Everyman
2007-05-21, 12:17 AM
Well, that makes a world of difference.:smallwink:

So, are you playing 2.0, 3.0, or 3.5? It is kind of important to know, so we can suggest materials that fit your system.

The Deities and Demigods book could potentially work for all those different systems (though the write-ups for deity stats and effects would need to be altered).

Jack Mann
2007-05-21, 12:29 AM
Actually, there's a perfectly good and legal way to find the whole pantheon, including those gods not found in the Player's Handbook. Go to Wizards' Living Greyhawk (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=lg/welcome) site and download the list of Greyhawk deities.

dyslexicfaser
2007-05-21, 02:16 AM
Tarkahn: The game I'm looking to join is 3.5, so I'm converting over. I have to say: feats look fun.

And thanks Jack Mann et al for the help!

EDIT: Oh, I was wondering if Forgotten Realms gods made the list, or just Greyhawk, because I remember some of those from novels. Lolth, Tempus, etc. etc.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-05-21, 02:32 AM
The "generic" D&D pantheon is the same as Greyhawk's. Forgotten Realms is entirely different, and somewhat more complicated. However, there are a few deities, notably the "racial" deities like Corellon Larethian, Yondalla, and Lolth, that also appear in Forgotten Realms (and other settings), as heads of their respective racial pantheons in the case of my examples.

kpenguin
2007-05-21, 02:36 AM
There area some minor differences between the Greyhawk and Generic pantheons. Greyhawk Heironeous, for example, has battleaxe as his favored weapon. Generic Heironeous has longsword. Greyhawk St. Cuthbert is Lawful Good with Lawful Neutral tendencies. Generic St. Cuthbert is straight out Lawful Neutral.

the_tick_rules
2007-05-21, 10:03 AM
deities and demigods goes into the D&D pantheon in detail, as well as the egyptian, greek, viking, and a few others.

Matthew
2007-05-31, 01:43 PM
There area some minor differences between the Greyhawk and Generic pantheons. Greyhawk Heironeous, for example, has battleaxe as his favored weapon. Generic Heironeous has longsword. Greyhawk St. Cuthbert is Lawful Good with Lawful Neutral tendencies. Generic St. Cuthbert is straight out Lawful Neutral.
Interesting. I never noticed that before.

bosssmiley
2007-05-31, 02:28 PM

All Newcastle bows before your superior D&D pedantry kpenguin. :smallwink:

In response to the OP: Wikipedia knows all (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_deities_of_Dungeons_&_Dragons), or at least offers a good starting point of names to Google for.

(link above is article giving list of D&Deities by divine status + worshipping race, also has links to pages discussing the Greyhawk, FR + Dragonlance pantheons)

Matthew
2007-05-31, 03:20 PM
It's pretty interesting stuff, that, as Living Greyhawk seems to have taken on board the 3.x changes, so that Saint Cuthbert now appears to have two Alignments and clergy of Heironeous can choose between Battle Axe and Long Sword. I wonder whether these were intentional changes or errors. I rather suspect that, given their incorporation, they were errors that have been retrofitted. So, is Saint Cuthbert Lawful Good or Lawful neutral? Has his Alignment changed or has he got a quasi Alignment? All very interesting to a pedant like me!

CASTLEMIKE
2007-06-01, 09:36 PM
It's pretty interesting stuff, that, as Living Greyhawk seems to have taken on board the 3.x changes, so that Saint Cuthbert now appears to have two Alignments and clergy of Heironeous can choose between Battle Axe and Long Sword. I wonder whether these were intentional changes or errors. I rather suspect that, given their incorporation, they were errors that have been retrofitted. So, is Saint Cuthbert Lawful Good or Lawful neutral? Has his Alignment changed or has he got a quasi Alignment? All very interesting to a pedant like me!

He is LN but favors Good over Evil.

brian c
2007-06-01, 10:46 PM

Which is to say, as a cleric he would turn undead instead of rebuking and he would cast heal spells instead of inflicts.

puppyavenger
2007-06-02, 01:29 PM
Why is Io intermediate?

Captain van der Decken
2007-06-02, 02:00 PM
Io? The head of the dragon pantheon, right? He's Greater.

kpenguin
2007-06-02, 03:48 PM

Generic St. Cuthbert is Lawful Neutral and, although it never states it in the PHB handbook explicitly, he has Lawful Good tendencies. Greyhawk St. Cuthbert is Lawful Good (Lawful Neutral), which means he is Lawful Good, but has many worshipers that are Lawful Neutral and tends towardsn lawul neutrality. Also, his clerics can only be Lawful Good or Lawful Neutral. No Neutral Good clerics for him!

Also, a big difference between Generic D&D deities and Greyhawk deities is that the Greyhawk deities will have additional domains beyond those listed in the PHB. I don't just mean domains from new sourcebooks. I mean domains that are from the PHB, but are not attributed that deity in the same book. Moradin, for instance, has Earth, Protection, Law, and Good domains in core. Greyhawk Moradin also has Fire, Strength, and War domains. Both versions have Creation domain if you have Complete Divine.

Matthew
2007-06-02, 03:54 PM
Actually, he has quite an interesting listing in the Living Greyhawk Deities Document. The Greyhawk versions have additional information over the Core versions, but no longer exclude any material.