PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder A familiar question: Aberrant and stacking

Xuldarinar
2015-10-06, 10:11 PM
I just noticed, poking around, a potential interaction I wanted to ask about:

A sorcerer, bloodrager, or anyone else who gains a bloodline can exchange the 1st level ability of their bloodline (given it is one of a list) for acquiring a familiar, as shown here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/familiar#TOC-Bloodline-Familiars). This familiar also gains an additional ability.

Provided they took the aberrant bloodline, the feat Aberrant Tumor (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/aberrant-tumor) becomes an option.

First off: Is this rule legal?
Second: Would this mean your familiar would advance at a rate of twice your character level?

Now to add on:
Lets say you decide to take sorcerer as your secondary class (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/character-advancement#TOC-Variant-Multiclassing). Then you decide you want to be a Witch or a Wizard, or pretty much any other class that provides a familiar. Are we then at times three?

With all the information previously mentioned to be considered, if one took Eldritch Heritage (in something other than aberrant), could that ability be swiped for a bloodline familiar, advancing at Character level -2?

Kurald Galain
2015-10-06, 11:08 PM
First off: Is this rule legal?
Sure.

Second: Would this mean your familiar would advance at a rate of twice your character level?
No, it would mean you get two familiars.

Xuldarinar
2015-10-06, 11:51 PM
Sure.

No, it would mean you get two familiars.

I would agree at the drop of a hat, but given:

A familiar is an animal chosen by a spellcaster to aid him in his study of magic. It retains the appearance, Hit Dice, base attack bonus, base save bonuses, skills, and feats of the normal animal it once was, but is now a magical beast for the purpose of effects that depend on its type. Only a normal, unmodified animal may become a familiar. An animal companion cannot also function as a familiar.

A familiar grants special abilities to its master, as given on the table below. These special abilities apply only when the master and familiar are within 1 mile of each other.

Levels of different classes that are entitled to familiars stack for the purpose of determining any familiar abilities that depend on the master's level.

If a familiar is dismissed, lost or dies, it can be replaced 1 week later through a specialized ritual that costs 200 gp per wizard level. The ritual takes 8 hours to complete.

It really becomes a question of whether it would stack up to character level, or if the stacking would exceed character level. Not that I'd oppose the multiple familiar route. Just.. I think RaW nixes that.

Psyren
2015-10-07, 09:47 AM
From your own bold quote - you don't have "levels in different classes." VMC just gives you another class feature that scales with your character level. The consensus around VMC familiars is that you get a second one, until the devs clarify otherwise.