PDA

View Full Version : DM Help XP For losing?

Captain Kablam
2015-10-06, 11:16 PM
Hey. In the campaign I'm running I have tournament, it's nonlethal and there is PVP. So I was wondering if there were already set rules or rubrics based on how to reward experience in a loss. To help them lick their wounds a little so to speak. If it doesn't exist, what are some of the ways you decided to allot XP in scenarios where they lose but don't die? With as many DMs who like the throw in the BBEG early to beat on the heroes who get a Deus Ex Machina escape, I doubt such a rubric doesn't exist.

Astral Avenger
2015-10-06, 11:18 PM
I would probably go 1/4 to 1/2 the xp they would have got for winning depending on how long the fight lasted. If they got steamrolled in the first round then go low, but if it is an epic, crowd pleasing brawl that lasts 5 minutes go more. Then again, i haven't played in a long time, so this might be a dated reply.

ryu
2015-10-07, 12:46 AM
I would probably go 1/4 to 1/2 the xp they would have got for winning depending on how long the fight lasted. If they got steamrolled in the first round then go low, but if it is an epic, crowd pleasing brawl that lasts 5 minutes go more. Then again, i haven't played in a long time, so this might be a dated reply.

It's also good to point out that five minutes is an incredibly long time in a D&D fight. Like to put that in perspective that's fifty full rounds. I literally can't remember the last time a single combat has lasted that long for me if ever.

Captain Kablam
2015-10-07, 01:07 AM
It's also good to point out that five minutes is an incredibly long time in a D&D fight. Like to put that in perspective that's fifty full rounds. I literally can't remember the last time a single combat has lasted that long for me if ever.

I can :smallbiggrin:

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/es.pokemon/images/9/95/EP004_Metapod_2.png/revision/20090913144651

Mystral
2015-10-07, 01:49 AM
Hey. In the campaign I'm running I have tournament, it's nonlethal and there is PVP. So I was wondering if there were already set rules or rubrics based on how to reward experience in a loss. To help them lick their wounds a little so to speak. If it doesn't exist, what are some of the ways you decided to allot XP in scenarios where they lose but don't die? With as many DMs who like the throw in the BBEG early to beat on the heroes who get a Deus Ex Machina escape, I doubt such a rubric doesn't exist.

You get XP for overcoming a challenge. Losing is the opposite of overcoming. So, no XP for the loss itself.

Perhaps give them a small amount of XP for role playing, if you're so inclined.

Crake
2015-10-07, 02:51 AM
You get XP for overcoming a challenge. Losing is the opposite of overcoming. So, no XP for the loss itself.

Perhaps give them a small amount of XP for role playing, if you're so inclined.

That depends on what the challenge is. If the challenge is winning, then yes, but if the challenge is, for example, surviving, then losing still counts.

ryu
2015-10-07, 03:11 AM

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/es.pokemon/images/9/95/EP004_Metapod_2.png/revision/20090913144651

Only because they wasted so much time talking instead of picking up the hardened metapods and using them as bludgeons. How do you think people are supposed to train metapods caught in the wild that only know harden?

Ninjaxenomorph
2015-10-07, 07:55 AM
I would grant the loser some XP. I tend to grant XP for losing in my campaigns, particularly when I have planned on the PCs losing. They get XP for surviving and being good sports.

Hamste
2015-10-07, 08:10 AM

I once had a tank character that focused entirely on ac fight a similar tank character while the rest of the party was fighting another group of adventurers. That is basically what happened. We were hitting only on 20's and doing minimal damage (I usually use antagonize to force people to attack me but the fight went on pretty long). It ultimately ended with the enemy party running away leaving the tank behind and the rest of the party chasing them down. They managed to chase down the enemies, finish them and return all while the tank fight was still going on. While still not 50 rounds I get the feeling it was a good 10-20 of us whacking at each other before the party came in and the enemy tank surrendered.

Fouredged Sword
2015-10-07, 08:54 AM
Generally if there is no threat of death the EXP reward is reduced. I would give your PC's full reward for any round they participate in, but a loss means getting removed from the rankings and the end of that little plot line.

Chronos
2015-10-07, 08:59 AM
If it's a nonlethal tournament, then you probably shouldn't even award much XP for winning. Experience only comes with risk, or everyone would spend all their time in nonlethal sparring matches and rocket up to 20 in a couple of weeks. If you want a reward for winning a tournament, make it something in-game, like a cash prize or getting to marry the princess or whatever. Of course, if you go this route, there would probably be additional lesser prizes to compete for as well (1st through nth place overall, first place in any individual category, etc.).

Nibbens
2015-10-07, 09:21 AM

This is a really touchy subject for quite a few. However, I fall on the "If the players survive a challenge, then they receive XP equal to the challenge they survived."

For example - if your PCs see a tarrasque and they are level 4 and they run - you wouldn't give them XP equal to the tarrasque, but instead give them the XP depending on how hard it was to get away from the tarrasque. That was the real challenge. Maybe there was a chase scene with the tarrasque charging through a forest while they hide like ants. You never intended them to fight the big T. Instead, they get XP according to the scenario of running/hiding/avoiding the denizens of the forest/fast paced decision-making and roleplay during this scene.

Also, Roleplay scenarios often provide XP as if PCs killed a monster with a CR equal to their APL. So, you could run the thing according to a RP scenario - because nothing is lethal, and it's a challenge based story development (I assume - as most tournaments aren't just there for no reason)

Which also brings up a good point - make sure to use the tourney to advance the story in some way. That way your PCs get XP as well as feel like they are making progress instead of just sitting idle.

AceOfFools
2015-10-07, 10:13 AM
Let me put this in perspective: your playing this game to have fun. You should go with the most fun option.

If your group is really competitive, put in rewards only for winning.

If your group is more concerned with game balance, and fairness, give balanced rewards.

My group doesn't even track xp, we just wait for the GM to say "you level now" Because we can do with less math and trust the GM to keep us on a reasonable aproximation of WBL (and compensate for his errors).

Rijan_Sai
2015-10-07, 10:17 AM

I see your Pokemon, and raise you one DBZ:
http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/23400000/ssj-goku-dbz-rampage-23437470-580-377.jpg
:smallbiggrin:

That said, Goku is something like the embodiment of "learning from losing." Provided he survives ...actually, ANY loss is an opportunity to learn, train and come back stronger!

^That said, I agree that probably up to half EXP is good for the loss, provided the event advances the story.