PDA

View Full Version : Spider-man 3[SPOILERS]

Zakama
2007-05-20, 11:00 PM
I just saw spiderman today, it wasn't bad. I hate how they killed Harry off right when he was getting cool though. What did you guys think of it?

ShadowHunter
2007-05-20, 11:09 PM
I know it's the common thing you hear said, but it dissapointed me compared to the previous 2(and just to mention it, the second dissapointed me compared to the first)I mean, I still LIKED it, but comparatively speaking

I liked Harry's actor a lot more, even when he was playing mean Harry, though

Commander Hayes
2007-05-20, 11:15 PM
I haven't seen it. Didn't really like the first two (okay, I was little when I saw the first movie, wasn't even out of grade school, but still), so I probably won't try to see this one.

Ichneumon
2007-05-20, 11:30 PM
The second movie was better, the best of the three. Although Venom is my favorite spiderman villain, I think it all went to fast in the third movie. The changes from evil to good were to fast. Good guys turn evil and bad guys turn good and all way to fast.

Harry losing his memmory was cheap...

Now, it wasn't a bad movie, only 1&2 were better. I still hope Venom will return in 4 and hope 4 will be as good as 2.

Ceska
2007-05-21, 12:43 AM
Shouldn't this be in the media discussion subforum, considering there's already a thread for it there? Linky. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42910)

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-21, 07:45 AM
The second movie was better, the best of the three. Although Venom is my favorite spiderman villain, I think it all went to fast in the third movie. The changes from evil to good were to fast. Good guys turn evil and bad guys turn good and all way to fast.
Yeah. The movies primary (only?) problem is that it tried to cover too much ground. The whole thing was really compressed.

Of course, I went into the film knowing they were trying to fit a film in where Spider-man has to fight:
Harry Osborn/New Goblin
Sandman
Venom
His own inner demons
That's four major conflicts right there. As such, I expected that flaw. Though, they really pulled it off a lot better than I thought they would. All the same, for all his popularity, Venom did get shafted on screen time.

Harry losing his memmory was cheap...
Unfortunately, that's par for the course when dealing with Goblins. Both Norman and Harry had incidences of amnesia a metric crapload of times in the comics. Maybe it's something in the Goblin Serum?

I still hope Venom will return in 4 and hope 4 will be as good as 2.
I think even Venom is gonna have to trouble coming back from being blown to bits. Especially since Eddie went with the symbiote.

However, I did see some speculation that, since the symbiote sample Pete gave to Dr. Connors remains unaccounted for, there is room for Carnage to appear. The big film challenge there is that any story line with Carnage will need to be at least ten times darker than what we've seen in the franchise so far. And that'll pose a big problem since the movies have kept younger audiences in mind so far. It would be near impossible to make such a drastic switch and keep the audience coming.

Don Beegles
2007-05-21, 02:19 PM
I think the problem I had with it was that I went to the theatre dieing to see Hot Fuzz, so when the only frickin' person who cards at my theatre was on duty, I was forced to see it instead.

I mean, it wasn't a bad movie. I loved how all of the villains were played, it was pretty funny (Though that wasn't really a good thing), and I think Tobey Maguire did what he could with what the director gave him.

I just thought that it was too cheesy and comicbooky. When I say that to people they always contest, "But Don, it's based on a comic book." I know, and if it were the first one, I wouldn't mind. The trouble is that the first two were not at all as corny as this one. I thought emo hair and the Saturday Night Fever bit were hilarious, but I also thought that they shouldn't have been. They should have done more with that internal conflict than relegate it to getting laughs.

It seemed sort of full of itself as well. I think the problem is even covered in the movie. Everyone loves Spiderman, so he can do what he wants, right? Noone will believe that he could turn evil. That could be a comment on the movies: Everyone loved the first ones, so we can do what we want with the third right?

And the science was just even more rediculous than the other two. If I were doing an elaborate particle physics experiment, and there was an unexplained anomaly before we did, I'd damn well explain it. Besides, I thought 'particle physics' referred to subatomic particles, not huge piles of sand. Oh, and I can accept that getting bombarded with sand might mess with your DNA, maybe causing some phosphate-sugar-sand complex, or something, but why would that let you fly? &c &c &c.

I mean, I think it was worth seeing, but Hot Fuzz would have been better, and I'm not getting it on DVD.

Oh, and why was the reporter British?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-21, 07:18 PM
Oh, and I can accept that getting bombarded with sand might mess with your DNA, maybe causing some phosphate-sugar-sand complex, or something, but why would that let you fly?
I believe the concept is that the Sandman was letting his particles be carried away by the wind. i.e. It wasn't self-powered flight.

valis
2007-05-21, 10:39 PM
I saw Spiderman 3 yesterday and it's... okay. It's not Bat-nipples bad or Richard Pryor flying with Superman bad. The truth is that characters like MJ and Peter are doing and saying things that are out of character. Also people are pissed that there isn't enough Venom in the movie and they're right there isn't. Topher Grace is okay as the cocky Eddie Brock but Eddie isn't devolped correctly. He's supposed to be insane and obsessed on killing Spiderman. Not enough Gewn Stacy either her character never gets developed. The only characters that stay ture to the audience are Aunt May, J.J.J., and the land Lord that's always asking for rent. The worst parts are the dance sequences. They are vomit inducing. I could feel my gag refelx being triggered. The best parts are the action sequences Sam Rami doesn't half-ass the action.

In the end Spiderman can recover from this movie. Just close your eyes pretend like this movie never happened and wait for the 4th movie. Let's all hope that Bryce Dallas Howard comes back and they have Carnage kill many many people.

Two out of four stars.

ZeroNumerous
2007-05-21, 11:14 PM
I think even Venom is gonna have to trouble coming back from being blown to bits. Especially since Eddie went with the symbiote.

Eddie might be a goner, but symbiotes literally do not die. Ever. At all. You're better off trying to kill Superman in a way that actually develops his character.

Lerch
2007-05-21, 11:17 PM
THe bit of symboite could lead to Dr Conners becoming the Lizard (as he is in the comic) or lead to Kasady becoming Carnage...who knows...

Don Beegles
2007-05-22, 01:46 PM
@Shhalahr: Oh, I guess that makes some sense. Of course, how would he control it? Wouldn't he be blown apart? Why is there always a wind in exactly the right direction? That really doesn't work either. I think the Sandman should just not have flown, though I guess I should take that up with Stan the Man, not with the director, eh?

@Lerch: It could be both. Just cut the thing in half and you've got two bits of symbiote to go wild.

Kodoz
2007-05-22, 01:53 PM
Well, the problem with speculating about the fourth movie is that this was the last one, at least for a long time. Kirsten Dunst, Tobey Maguire, and Sam Raimi have all refused to continue with the Spider-man franchise.

Rob Knotts
2007-05-22, 02:00 PM
THe bit of symboite could lead to Dr Conners becoming the Lizard (as he is in the comic) or lead to Kasady becoming Carnage...who knows...In Japanese Godzilla movies from the 90s, some of the most dangerous new monsters were created using "G-Cells" from the big guy himself. Godzilla movies are supposed to be goofy, that's part of thier charm, but I'd rather not see Spiderman movies go that way.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-22, 09:36 PM
@Shhalahr: Oh, I guess that makes some sense. Of course, how would he control it? Wouldn't he be blown apart? Why is there always a wind in exactly the right direction? That really doesn't work either.
Whatever it is that holds him together and allows him to control semi-separated particles to begin with can allow him to shift onto a particular current, I think. It's largely a variation of whatever he did to "trickle" down into the subway as a stream of sand earlier in the movie. Near as I figure, anyway.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend trying to analyze it any further. It's shaky enough as it is. :smallwink:

Well, the problem with speculating about the fourth movie is that this was the last one, at least for a long time. Kirsten Dunst, Tobey Maguire, and Sam Raimi have all refused to continue with the Spider-man franchise.
According to IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0948470/), Spider-man 4 is already scheduled for a 2009 release with Sam Raimi in talks to direct.

Logos7
2007-05-22, 09:48 PM
If it's got Rammi and Campbell I'm IN

I really think that 4 will be the Reptile or whatever his name is + exciting new villian/ effect ( wouldn't mind the whole mystic thing with madame web and stuff being brought in would help return it to that whole, Im just a youngn guy who doesn't know whats going on etc)

That said I'd love for the reign of webs crossover or whatever it was called. I want to see CEMENT

Logos

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-22, 10:23 PM
Oh, according to Wikipedia, Sony has said it plans to do three more Spider-man movies. So that should actually give us room to speculate about Spider-man 5 and Spider-man 6 as well as Spider-man 4. (Superhero Hype (http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=5536) confirms this.)

Also, the Lizard does appear to be Stan Lee's first choice for a villain in number 4.

kpenguin
2007-05-23, 12:07 AM
Are the video games considered canon? Because a lot of classic Spidey villians appear in there, which eliminates them from any sequels.

Crazy Owl
2007-05-23, 01:44 AM
Are the video games considered canon? Because a lot of classic Spidey villians appear in there, which eliminates them from any sequels.

Probably not.

Wolfprint
2007-05-23, 03:00 AM
I like Spider-man, and I liked the movies (all three of them), but I was quite unhappy about how Spidey was all angsty and unfunny in the movies. The comic book Spidey is always throwing quips like missiles, but the movie Spidey hardly says anything. Yes, we know he's a nice guy, but putting on the mask is supposed to release his wilder inner subconscious.

That said however, Spider-man 3 was still funnier than the first two, but not as good. I think the second episode was the best, because it was the best portrayal of Doctor Octopus ever (Alfred Molina is the bomb).

Mewtarthio
2007-05-23, 11:36 AM

As I recall, the first video game ends with Mary Jane having already figured out Spiderman's identity. So, I'm thinking 'no'.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-29, 11:36 AM
I like Spider-man, and I liked the movies (all three of them), but I was quite unhappy about how Spidey was all angsty and unfunny in the movies. The comic book Spidey is always throwing quips like missiles, but the movie Spidey hardly says anything. Yes, we know he's a nice guy, but putting on the mask is supposed to release his wilder inner subconscious.
The whole angsty personal conflict was the whole point. The main theme. He was rapidly bcoming someone (something) radically different from who (what) he was and should be. It was a battle for self periodically interrupted by action-battles with the bad guys.

And comic book Spidey has gone through many personal conflicts that have turned off the joke-maker in his brain in the past. Indeed, that happens on a semi-regular basis.

Kyrian
2007-06-01, 12:21 AM
The only real problem I had with the movie was I'd called the ending. When the trailers FIRST came out.