PDA

View Full Version : If you decide to multiclass, at what level is it best to do so?

BladeWing81
2015-10-07, 08:43 AM
I've been pondering the idea of my character for the out of the abyss adventure and been tempted to try multiclassing, (never done it before) so what's the best level to start that on? how many levels do you multiclass before returning to the original one?

bid
2015-10-07, 08:51 AM
Immediately to start with the right save proficiencies (and armor).
At level 6 to get extra attack first (or 3rd spells).
Anytime for RP reasons.

PoeticDwarf
2015-10-07, 09:47 AM
I've been pondering the idea of my character for the out of the abyss adventure and been tempted to try multiclassing, (never done it before) so what's the best level to start that on? how many levels do you multiclass before returning to the original one?

If you are a martial except monk/rogue go level 6, for monk is level 7/8 better. Rogue can do it any moment.

For bards, level 7 valor and 6 lore. For most spellcaster except moondruids, also level 6. Moondruids can better go level 7.

Warlock can already go level 2.

DivisibleByZero
2015-10-07, 10:02 AM
There is no correct or incorrect answer to this question.
We can't even begin to answer without more information, such as which classes you are planning on multiclassing, what level you start, how long you expect the campaign to last, whether you're more concerned with a fluff multi or optimizing as much as possible, etc.

Personally, I prefer to multi for fluff reasons, which almost always means doing it early, if not immediately, even if that's less optimal.

CNagy
2015-10-07, 10:10 AM
Don't get too caught up on the exact timing; these forums like to jigger with builds until they are optimized but the game doesn't actually require it. One thing I would say to keep in mind if you want to multiclass is to first figure out what role you're going to play in the party and try to cement your skills in that role before multiclassing too far. Keep in mind also that the first 3 levels are kind of a freebie, so don't hesitate to start as a Fighter with Roguish skill choices (for example) even if you are going to end up being the party Rogue. For anything more specific than this, we'd need details.

DemonSlayer6
2015-10-07, 12:17 PM
Hahaha...No.

One of the things to 5e is that it is pretty balanced between the classes to the point of having few "dump levels" where you don't gain anything. Thus every level that you forsake in your main class to multiclass prevents you from getting a specific class ability sooner.

That said, it's usually better to multiclass early on and to not take a deeper dip than necessary. If you want to take anywhere from a 3-level to 6-level dip you want your multiclassing absolutely finished by the time you hit Character Level 10 or 11. And so you can get the most of it, you would almost assuredly prefer to be finished multiclassing before Character Level 9.

Edgerunner
2015-10-07, 12:50 PM
Don't get too caught up on the exact timing; these forums like to jigger with builds until they are optimized but the game doesn't actually require it. One thing I would say to keep in mind if you want to multiclass is to first figure out what role you're going to play in the party and try to cement your skills in that role before multiclassing too far. Keep in mind also that the first 3 levels are kind of a freebie, so don't hesitate to start as a Fighter with Roguish skill choices (for example) even if you are going to end up being the party Rogue. For anything more specific than this, we'd need details.

This is exactly how I feel about it.
My goal is Fighter7 /Rogue 13 for my Spy background character.
Nope it just isn't optimal but it works great for what I want the character to be able to do.

Hahaha...No.

That said, it's usually better to multiclass early on and to not take a deeper dip than necessary. If you want to take anywhere from a 3-level to 6-level dip you want your multiclassing absolutely finished by the time you hit Character Level 10 or 11. And so you can get the most of it, you would almost assuredly prefer to be finished multiclassing before Character Level 9.

This doesn't always work.
Not saying it's Wrong....
Sometimes it's best to get the basics of what you want the character to do via multiclassing early... but then do some tweaks to it down the line.
IE: get the Action Surge from Fighter right off the bat, then go to your other class and get the skills you want before going back to fighter to get the next three lvls for the Extra Attack.

Coidzor
2015-10-07, 02:23 PM
Depends on the individual build, mostly.

BladeWing81
2015-10-07, 04:25 PM
There is no correct or incorrect answer to this question.
We can't even begin to answer without more information, such as which classes you are planning on multiclassing, what level you start, how long you expect the campaign to last, whether you're more concerned with a fluff multi or optimizing as much as possible, etc.

Personally, I prefer to multi for fluff reasons, which almost always means doing it early, if not immediately, even if that's less optimal.

I'm gonna go for Shadow Monk and I'm thinking of multiclassing a little Rogue in there for the whole of "out of the abyss" which is 1-5 lvls, maybe up to level 3 to get assassin archetype if that helps.

EDIT: I'm thinking of maybe one of two options, Either dip 3 rogue levels after level 5 Monk or 2 (Maybe 3) rogue levels after level 11 Monk.
Not gaining Ki points after each levels is brutal which make the Idea of multiclassing a dicey Idea to begin with but adding a little rogue to the mix will help a lot because I can get expertise in stealth and perseption, disengage without using Ki points and If I choose the third level I can get the assassin archetype gaining assassinate, 2d6 for sneak attack and proeficiency with poisoners kit.