PDA

View Full Version : The Stars In Our Fault (Wander Inn Mission)

Nettlekid
2015-10-07, 02:36 PM
It's early in the morning, the leaves dripping with dew from the condensed humidity, though that has done nothing to actually dry out the air. It's been a long trek getting here, beyond the outskirts of colonized land and into the pure wilderness. The undergrowth has been getting stronger for some time, and about a day ago your carriage had to turn back, leaving you to walk to the edge of the jungle proper on your own. Although the rich foliage is beautiful, it's not peaceful. The air is alive with humming and squawking of creature waking up, or those that haven't been asleep. You were advised about the threats of the jungle by the blacksmith, a grizzled and cynical Killoren with a patchwork of burns and scars running across his whole body and piercings of Cold Iron. He told you that there's nothing safe there, not to eat nor drink nor barely breathe, where the plants and animals alike try to eat you or just kill you for the fun of it. But most importantly, he warns, no one is to be trusted. The jungle is not devoid of sapient life, but those that live like beasts become beasts. They think in alien ways, and respect arbitrary strengths. You're fortunate if you can get the fallen star without meeting them, and if you do, don't make any deals with them. As for finding the fallen star, it shouldn't be hard once you're within the jungle, as smaller animals will become sparse in the area having been scared off while the larger beasts will explore to see this "newcomer" to their territory.

Archmage1
2015-10-07, 04:39 PM
Along the way, Elariel seems to perk up as it gets hotter, clearly enjoying the heat. She seems happy enough to discuss many things, but... not her last mission.

After the carriage turns back, she seems cheerful, clearly enjoying herself, and just as clearly admiring the surrounding plantlife, so different from what she had grown up in. As they walk, she seems alert, watchful. As the sun goes down, Elariel quickly sets up a camp, and then, morning comes.

She turns to Rilele as they awaken.
"We're going to need to be careful from here on in. Judging by the tracks, well... this is as far as most people go, and I doubt that is for no reason. Judging from what the blacksmith said... it gets dangerous from here on. I'll try to keep an eye out for dangers, hopefully, enough to give us the chance to get out of sight before being seen. Unfortunately, I don't think we can take the time take this journey fully cautiously, not if the blacksmith was right about food. I've only got three days worth."

So...
Taking 10 on things...
With the -5 penalty, Elariel has a 10 to keep an eye out for dangerous signs/tracks. A 12 for undead.
She has a perception of 19 as she walks along(Taking 10). She gets a +2 to detect undead.

Dondasch
2015-10-07, 06:00 PM
Rilele also flourishes in the heat, though the humidity makes her uncomfortable. She spends her time observing the surrounding jungle, her eyes continually being captured by new thing after new thing.

"If you'd like, I can turn us both invisible. I'll need to recast it every few minutes, so the going will be slightly slower, but it should be safer as well. If we are spotted, I can also try to hide us using my illusions." Rilele pauses for a moment to point at Elariel while chanting. "And I just cast a message spell on us, so we can talk in whispers."

Rilele has +0 to Perception, but she'll take 10 on it as well.

Archmage1
2015-10-07, 06:09 PM
Elariel smiles, and nods.
"That should make this trip much safer. An excellent idea! I'm not sure how well the message will work, but... I like your thinking. But... since we don't want to get separated... We're going to need to either tie ourselves together, which isn't a good plan if we are attacked, or hold hands. If we're spotted, trying to hide is good. If not, well... I think we can handle whatever we run into."

Dondasch
2015-10-07, 10:11 PM
"Holding hands should work well enough. The message is so we can communicate quietly, even if separated. I'll go ahead and cast the spells."
With that, Rilele begins casting, first on Elariel, then herself.

Rilele will, of course, take the time to recover the spell.

Archmage1
2015-10-08, 05:28 AM
Elariel shakes her head.
"Hold on, for a few moments, please? We're going to need an idea of which way to go, so... let me see if I can figure that out by climbing one of these trees, before we start journeying. Hopefully, I'll be able to see something from up there."

With that. Elariel picks a likely candidate, and sees about climbing it.

Well... taking 10 in know: nature(For a 23) to pick a tall type of tree, and taking 10 in acrobatics for a 21 to climb it, and have a look around.

Nettlekid
2015-10-08, 07:43 AM
Elariel starts climbing the tree. The bark is rough and thick but brittle, and keeps breaking away as she's climbing. She can keep climbing this way but risks the bark breaking higher up (and may become too stressed to Take 10), or she can try grabbing onto one of the vines coiled tightly around the tree to aid in the climb.

Archmage1
2015-10-08, 08:41 AM
Knowing the danger, and wanting to reduce the chances of a break, Elariel descends, and leaves most of her gear at the base of the tree, to lighten the load, taking only her clothing, before she re-ascends, being careful to not touch the vines, even with her gloved hands.

Nettlekid
2015-10-09, 09:44 AM
Elariel continues to climb, though the chipping bark starts to make it difficult. Indeed, she can get only about 3/4 of the way up the tree before it looks too dangerous to keep going. From her vantage point though she can see how the land slopes downward only slightly, but creating a valley where water collects explaining the high growth rates. There's also a spot where the treetops are sparse, and you suspect maybe a river cutting through the area there. You cannot see any overt signs of a meteorite, but you can see one particularly tall tree further in broken in the center, and there's an area where what looked like branches may actually be roots. You recall that there was an earthquake; that may be the area.

Archmage1
2015-10-09, 09:50 AM
Elariel spends several minutes surveying the area, making sure she was familiar with the locations of the river, and the potential earthquake location, as well as the tall tree, broken in the middle, before she descends.
After she reaches the bottom, she shakes her hands, working out the kinks, and starts collecting her equipment, and getting back into her armor. While she gets dressed, she speaks with Rilele.
"It looks like there's a river that way."
(She points in the direction of the river)
"And then there's what looks like it could be the aftermath of an earthquake in that direction. I should be able to keep us on course for it, so we can investigate."
As she finishes speaking, she also puts the last bit of equipment back clearly prepared to adventure once more.

Dondasch
2015-10-09, 09:16 PM
"We should probably stay away from the river, because the water will attract creatures. If you're ready, let's head out for the earthquake area."

If we do move on, Rilele will cast invisibility as discussed.

Archmage1
2015-10-09, 09:52 PM
Elariel nods in agreement, and stands near Rilele, waiting for the invisibility, before holding hands, and guiding them towards their target, the possible earthquake.

Elariel can take 10 to not be lost :)

Nettlekid
2015-10-11, 10:45 PM
Thanks to the Invisibility, the Wanderers are able to evade the notice of the majority of the jungle fauna. Various toad creatures, a Shambling Mound, and even mammalian creatures which definitely sensed a presence but couldn't locate it are all evaded. Now the pair comes to the site where the tree above is broken, and there is a wide chasm in the earth. It looks like a cave, because the entrance isn't very steep, but the open maw recedes deep into the earth. The entrance is slick with moss, and it looks like balance and grip may be an issue. Several hundred feet away, a panther-like creature that seems to shimmer and jump from place to place leaps back and forth over the chasm, curious about the ravine.

So you know what? It's kind of hard to find good standalone jungle monsters. I was looking for like a poison toad or a quicksand ooze? Nope. There's a lot of like jungle ecology monsters, but not too much that works as a standalone.

Archmage1
2015-10-12, 01:15 PM
Surveying the maw, Elariel frowns(Not that anyone can see it), before she looks to the equally invisibly Rilele, and starts whispering.
"Rilele, do you think you can make it down safely? I'd prefer to avoid the attention of the displacer beast over there, but if you don't feel confident, I think I can burn a clear path down, but it'll attract a lot of attention, unless you've got some way to conceal a rolling ball of flame."

Dondasch
2015-10-13, 09:11 PM
"I should be able to. Even if not, I can use feather fall a couple times per day, so a fall won't hurt us. If you'd rather go with a ball of flame, I could probably create an illusion to cover the area."

Archmage1
2015-10-14, 05:02 AM
Elariel considers for a moment, before she nods, and, remembering invisibility, she whispers back.
"If we can just climb it, that would be best. Especially if we can be quiet while climbing. I'll find you at the bottom. I don't think holding hands on the way down is going to work. Wait a minute, before you come down, so we don't run into each other."
With that, Elariel lets go, and starts to descend, moving carefully.

[roll0] acrobatics
[roll1] stealth

Nettlekid
2015-10-14, 09:02 AM
Elariel draws no attention from the panther, nor anything else unnoticed. Descending into the rift, she manages to find grip on roots and moss about halfway, before the slick stone causes her to lose her grip and tumble further down.

Take 11 damage for sliding down 40 ft if you don't use Feather Fall. None if you do, of course.

Archmage1
2015-10-14, 09:22 AM
As she slips, Elariel curses under her breath, as she tries to control her fall, hoping to avoid serious injury.
I'm glad Rilele can't see this... after all my care, what do I do? Fall...

[roll0] acrobatics

After she reaches the bottom, she dusts herself off, healing herself if necessary, before she looks around, trying to see what she could see, further into the maw, while she waits for Rilele to descend.

Take 10 in perception, if possible, for a 19, otherwise [roll1] perception

Also, if healing is needed(So, if she doesn't roll a 30 on the acrobatics check)
[roll2] healing belt

Dondasch
2015-10-14, 09:56 AM
After a moment, Rilele descends. On her way down, she slips and falls. As she hurtles towards the ground, she wills herself to slow, and touches down gently.

Acrobatics: [roll0]
Stealth: [roll1] (being invisible grants a +20 bonus on Hide (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/hide.htm) checks when moving)
Using her feather fall SLA as a immediate action.

Archmage1
2015-10-14, 11:48 AM
Elariel listens carefully, and looks for signs of where Rilele might be standing, so she can find her companion once more.

Well... since Elariel isn't going to beat a 30 on a stealth check, hoping for tracking to find her current position(Judging by where footprints are, like gollum vs frodo, in lotr?

If I can, taking 10 for a 15 in survival, if not, [roll0] survival.
DC's here? (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#track)
(10 for soft ground, 15 for firm ground(Most normal outdoor surfaces), 20 for hard ground(bare rock, indoor floor)

Dondasch
2015-10-14, 11:55 AM
"You there? I've made it down safely."

Oops, forgot that we'd lose each other afterwards.

Archmage1
2015-10-14, 12:11 PM
Elariel whispers back, as she heads towards the whisper's source, moving carefully.
"No worries. Shall we continue?"

Nettlekid
2015-10-14, 05:17 PM
The ravine seems to have broken into subterranean caves, because there's a far greater expanse than you would have expected from just one earthquake. It's likely that the meteorite hit the ground and was subsequently drawn under. Ahead of you are three paths, one softly lit by glowing fungus, one whose stones are damp, and one from which a warm breeze blows.

What senses do you have? Darkvision, Low-Light, Tremorsense? What are you using to see right now?

Archmage1
2015-10-14, 06:39 PM
Looking down all three before she decides, Elariel spends a few moments considering her options.
Hm... light is nice, but... I don't think a meteor would have left it intact, so probably not that one. The damp stones... maybe if someone tried to fight the fire? But... no signs of civilization. Which leaves the warm one. Perhaps the meteor is rather... toasty?
She whispers to Rilele, her voice low and calm, as she shifts closer to the passage with the warm breeze.
"I think we'll have the most luck in the passage with the warm air... the others don't seem to have received a burning meteor."

Dondasch
2015-10-15, 01:26 PM
"That, or it leads outside, which would be useful to know." Rilele moves with Elariel, but keeps glancing back at the passage with the glowing fungus. "I'll need light though. I have a few sunrods in my pack, unless you have a better source."

Rilele has human vision.

Archmage1
2015-10-15, 01:40 PM
Elariel smiles.
"Light, I can do. Of course, it will attract attention to us. But... there isn't really a choice."
Elariel looks around, before she picks up a rock, and chants, before the rock lights on fire.
"This should do. Would you like one? It isn't hot."

Nettlekid
2015-11-03, 09:23 AM
Lit by the glowing stone, the pair proceeds through the path. Although it's not rough going, the warm breeze is becoming less of a breeze and more just stagnant, hot air, like an oven. It's not yet unmanageable, but it's becoming oppressive. As you walk the path, you note that despite the heat and lack of water there seem to be plants growing here. Namely, draped on either side are long black vines with black thorns, with a large bulb in the center of each. A single short stalk emerges from the center of this mass, ending in a large black flower that glows a faint red. A little further along you can see what looks in your flickering light like shiny obsidian lining the path.

Archmage1
2015-11-03, 09:29 AM
Elariel pauses, studying the plants in front of her, hoping that she would be able to identify them, from her previous studies, as well as trying to get a better look at the obsidian lining the path.

[roll0] know: nature
[roll1] perception

Nettlekid
2015-11-03, 09:41 AM
These plants are Lavabriers. They grow on the lower slopes of volcanoes, along active faultlines, or anywhere that pockets of magma are trapped near the surface of the world. They are nonsentient but capable of limited motion, and while it doesn't eat flesh or hunt it does lash out proactively to defend itself if something comes too close. Apart from those thorny vines, it can infrequently spit lava.

The obsidian on the other hand seems fairly normal, although you notice it looks a bit melty, as though it's not entirely solid. But there do seem to be solid shards within it, that slip around in the semi-solid pool slightly.

EDIT: Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1clmcNtccb93VKLUkklIosg8Wv7Dojja0fTje2-6XScA/edit?usp=sharing)

Archmage1
2015-11-03, 09:45 AM
Recognizing the plants, Elariel speaks softly to Rilele.
"Those plants are called Lavabriers, and they tend to grow near pockets of magma. If you get too close, they'll lash out at you, and they can, sometimes, spit lava. I think we're going to want to be quite careful from here on in, as there is magma nearby, which could mean that some of the rocks along our path could be very hot."
Her explanation finished, Elariel continues carefully along the path, keeping clear of the Lavabriers, and gently touching the obsidian, trying to find out why it seemed odd.

Dondasch
2015-11-04, 07:02 PM
"Well, the lavabriers look to be fairly entrenched, so they're probably not recent growth. That means that this area likely hasn't been shaken up too badly recently. Think we should try another passage?"

Archmage1
2015-11-04, 07:06 PM
Elariel shrugs.
"Maybe, but we haven't hit anything we can't handle by paying attention yet. Maybe this tunnel is venting the heat from the impact? It is quite pleasant."

Nettlekid
2015-11-05, 08:34 AM
The surface of the obsidian is delicate, almost like a film holding back molten tar. More importantly, it's scaling hot, hotter than it looks. Elariel takes 4 Fire damage (down to 0 from Fire Resistance.) More importantly though, the obsidian shudders and comes alive, beginning to roil and writhe. The slipping shards collect in the center, and then with the speed of a snake's neck lash out, stabbing out at Elariel's shoulder. It only narrowly strikes, as Elariel is taken by surprise. It's a significant hit, inflicting 12 piercing damage and 5 Fire damage (mitigated by Fire Resistance). The amorphous obsidian creature tries to hook into Elariel and grapple, but its spine slips out from the wound and Elariel is still free to move.

You guys win Initiative, so you can take your turns now. I remember from the Maid mission Dondasch pointing out that Energy Resistance works per-round, but I think I'm going to houserule it to work per-attack since that's how everyone's familiar with it. If you don't object to that.

Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1clmcNtccb93VKLUkklIosg8Wv7Dojja0fTje2-6XScA/edit?usp=sharing)

Archmage1
2015-11-05, 09:08 AM
Surprised by the sudden attack, Elariel is hit rather badly, before she darts back, trying to move to a spot out of the creature's immediate reach, before she tries shooting an arrow at it.
"Or I could be wrong! It seems to be rather toasty."
Elariel's voice seems to be stressed, and in pain, and her eyes seem to flash with light, seeking to dazzle the creature.

As I can't access google things while at work, I can't see the map, but Elariel's trying to take a 5 foot step back from the creature, staying away from the lavabriers, so she can shoot without getting hit by an aoo.

[roll0] Arrow(Piercing/Slashing)
[roll1] Damage
Add +4 to both if it can cast arcane spells.
Also casting flare (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/flare.htm), which is a DC 16 to dazzle the creature.

Additionally, if it hits, the creature counts as flanked for her allies.
20/33 HP
AC 23

Dondasch
2015-11-07, 09:39 AM
"Well, I've certainly had practice fighting fiery creatures. Living in a desert, they're rather common."

Standard action to use Dragonfire Inspiration.
Swift action to use the Badge of Valor.
Free action to cast launch bolt. If a [roll0] hits, she deals [roll1] piercing damage plus [roll2] cold damage.
Rolling for maneuvers:
[roll3]
[roll4]

Nettlekid
2015-11-08, 12:11 PM
The entity seems unaffected by the Daze attempt. Despite its large size, it seems to have a poor reach, and doesn't manage to strike when Elariel launches an arrow. Unfortunately, the arrow attack punctures the thin obsidian film, and instead of doing damage the arrow is consumed in flame as a molten stone core bursts out. Elariel is far enough that she is unharmed, but there remains a sticky pool cooling on the floor. Rilele's icy bolt however has a different reaction. The bolt is similarly destroyed, but the resulting gout of molten stone is frozen by the Inspiration, causing it to stiffen and crack into proper obsidian. The creature seems to have been damaged greatly by the cold, and shrinks away. It coils itself like a thick black snake, takes a half-spring into the air, and the rushes into the ground, burrowing through the earth and slipping between cracks in the hard stone.

Archmage1
2015-11-08, 12:17 PM
The rather battered Elariel, seeing the creature flee, lowers her bow, and touches her belt, causing a blue light to briefly surround her.

[roll0]

After the glow fades, she smiles back at Rilele.
"I think the cold worked, and worked well. I'm not sure how effective my arrow was. Can you keep that song going, while we continue on? With the frost, I think we'll be able to handle what we run into here."

Dondasch
2015-11-09, 10:11 AM
"Indeed I can, though it gets a bit hard on the throat after a while." Rilele begins muttering under her breath.

This is the song that never endsIt just goes on and on my friendsSome people started singing it not knowing what it wasAnd they'll continue singing it forever just because...

Archmage1
2015-11-09, 10:21 AM
Elariel smiles.
"But it'll be harder on any more attackers. For now, let's keep going. And keep on being careful."

With that, Elariel starts to continue down the passage, keeping alert, and looking for additional threats, her bow at the ready.

Elariel's taking 10 as she heads along, for a 19 in perception.

Nettlekid
2015-11-09, 02:19 PM
(Now, now, no one ever said you were out of initiative.)

Elariel uses her Belt of Healing, while Rilele maintains her freezing song. As Elariel takes a step forward, an obsidian skewer bursts out of the ground and spears through Elariel's foot, dealing 10 piercing damage. The creature begins to bubble out of the hole in the ground, keeping a strong grip on Elariel's leg and grappling.

The subterranean motion seems to be upsetting the Lavabriars, and one of them starts slinking closer to Rilele.

Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1clmcNtccb93VKLUkklIosg8Wv7Dojja0fTje2-6XScA/edit?usp=sharing)

Archmage1
2015-11-09, 02:33 PM
Caught by surprise, and feeling the creature's strength through her impaled foot, finding her movements much hampered(And losing the ability to make a decent swing with her quarterstaff), Elariel tries stabbing the creature with an arrow.

I'm assuming that Elariel's already failed the opposed grapple roll for this. If she hasn't failed that roll, this post doesn't work.

[roll0] attack(-8 to attack is quite harsh)
[roll1] damage
[roll2] Cold damage

I'm fairly sure Elariel's in quite a lot of trouble here, as this isn't the kind of fight she can handle.

Dondasch
2015-11-09, 02:53 PM
Rilele steps away from the approaching Lavabrier while casting a spell. As soon as her glaive finishes forming, she strikes at the obsidian creature. "Hang in there Elariel!"

Swift action to cast spectral weapon, creating a +1 glaive that makes touch attacks. The enemy gets a DC 17 Will save upon first being struck; if it succeeds, it takes only half damage from the weapon for this casting.
5ft step to K8, away from the Lavabrier
Standard action to initiate crusader's strike, attacking the ooze. If a [roll0] hits touch AC, Elariel heals [roll1] damage, and it takes [roll2] slashing damage plus [roll3] cold damage. This is subject to the aforementioned Will save for half damage.
Still maintaining Dragonfire Inspiration.
Roll for next maneuver: [roll4]

Not casting launch bolt this turn; I'm in melee, the ooze thing is grappling Elariel (so a ranged attack would have a chance of hitting her), and Rilele isn't certain if the Lavabrier can spit this far.

Nettlekid
2015-11-10, 10:42 AM
You had failed the opposed grapple, but you did still have the option of trying to break the grapple on your turn.

Also, although it's not a good situation, it's far better for you to be grappled by it than Rilele. That Fire resistance is going to help a lot.

Elariel's makeshift dagger is too flimsy from this angle to pierce the cooled obsidian skin, and the entity continues to bubble out of the ground. Rilele's phantom weapon strikes true, and the entity seems unable to understand that it's not fully real. However, the slice seems not to actually damage it, and instead splits the skin to spray molten innards over Rilele. Part of it freezes with her Inspiration, so she takes 5 points of fire damage and 4 points of piercing damage as either the molten spray or the shards burst out over her. The cold from the strike seems to have hurt the creature, even if the slash didn't.

Like thick tar the creature envelops Elariel, completely covering her and scalding even her skin for 14 Fire damage (9 after Fire resistance). If nothing from within cools the creature, that molten body is going to roast her alive.

Archmage1
2015-11-10, 10:49 AM
Not particularly enjoying her rather toasty bath, and holding her breath, Elariel tries to escape, striking with her hands, hoping to force a way out.

Elariel's roll: [roll0]

Dondasch
2015-11-10, 03:17 PM
Rilele winces as the spray of rock and fire hits hits, but quickly casts a spell and retaliates with renewed fury, seeming to move much more gracefully than before.

5 points of the damage dealt goes into my Steely Resolve.
Swift action to cast heightened bladeweave, allowing me to choose one target per round that I have successfully attacked with a melee weapon. That target must make a DC 17 Will save or be dazed for one round.
Standard action to initiate leading the attack, attacking the ooze. If a [roll0] hits touch AC, Rilele's allies gain a +4 morale bonus on attack rolls against the ooze for 1 round, and it takes [roll1] slashing damage plus [roll2] cold damage. This is subject to the aforementioned Will save for half damage.
If the attack hits, Rilele will trigger heightened bladeweave against the ooze.
Still maintaining Dragonfire Inspiration.
The 5 points goes from Steely Resolve to my hp total.
Roll for next maneuver: [roll3]

Nettlekid
2015-11-10, 03:51 PM
Archmage, you didn't roll damage. And Dondasch, Bladeweave requires an additional attack roll. I rolled both of those things for you.

Elariel's feeble fist has a minimal effect on the interior of the creature, but still infused with the magic of Rilele's frigid song the icy aura bursts inward. The interior of the creature is so hot that it doesn't seem to take too much damage, but it cools the liquid magma enough that Elariel is similarly protected. She takes only 3 points of Fire damage, which her Fire Resistance brings down to 0. (I subtracted the Cold damage from the Fire damage.)

Rilele's phantom glaive strikes against the creature's exterior, and again the slashing edge fails to harm the creature, but it shrivels in the cold and the popping burst of chilling magma does 3 Fire and 3 Piercing damage. Rilele's Bladeweave makes contact and taps the creature, but either by virtue of powerful will or the lack of eyes to be transfixed or a mind to be entranced, it has no effect.

Now with Elariel safely within its body (though not sitting as nicely as it would hope,) it turns its attention to Rilele and lances her with two obsidian spears, dealing 17 damage. It grabs onto her, and begins drifting over hoping to engulf her as well.

Archmage1
2015-11-16, 01:38 PM
Sorry about the delay. I thought I'd already replied to this

Not having any other choice, in the narrow confines of what could well become her tomb, Elariel continues attacking, hoping to break through, struggling to maintain her calm.

Well... going for a really bad idea. Unenhanced Two weapon fighting.
[roll0] Unarmed Strike(Which is apparently a simple weapon, which Elariel does have proficiency)
[roll1] damage(Non-lethal)
[roll2] bonus cold damage
[roll3] Unarmed Strike(Which is apparently a simple weapon, which Elariel does have proficiency)
[roll4] damage(Non-lethal)
[roll5] bonus cold damage

Dondasch
2015-11-17, 01:10 PM
As the creature attacks her, Rilele activate her Deathguardian Bracers. She struggles to break free of its grip and move out of reach.

Immediate action upon the "popping burst of chilling magma": Using the Deathguardian Bracers, sacrificing Heightened Alibi to get DR 6/- until the start of her next turn (this action).
Side note: are the two obsidian spear separate attacks, and if so, how much damage did they do, since DR applies to each attack?
Standard action to try and break the grapple [roll0]
If the grapple is broken: move to K2
Maintaining Dragonfire Inspiration

Nettlekid
2015-11-17, 01:25 PM
I forget how much each did, but each was above 6, so you'll take 5 points total from the attack.

Elariel strikes at the monster from within. Her second attack does not strike meaningfully against the beast's interior, but her first certainly does. The aftereffects of Dragonfire Inspiration serve to chill the ooze's interior, but not enough. Elariel takes 9 Fire damage, reduced to 4 by her Fire Resistance.

Rilele does not manage to shake free of the obsidian spear, and the gurgling monster envelops her too, and she takes the same 9 Fire damage that Elariel took. Now unable to speak freely, she is unable to maintain Inspire Courage.

You have five rounds of Inspire Courage lingering. TWFing with Unarmed Strikes is probably the best idea. It's doing 4d6 Fire damage per round, so if you counteract that with the leftover Cold damage from Dragonfire Inspiration you won't actually take any, and any Cold damage you deal in excess of that will be coming out of its HP. But if you don't manage to freeze it solid in five rounds, it'll start roasting you again.

Archmage1
2015-11-17, 01:30 PM
Elariel continues striking with her hands, her feet, whatever she can move, trying to break out, and survive, no longer hearing Rilele's singing, which was rather worrisome.

Dual wielding unarmed combat(And eating the -4/-8)
[roll0]
[roll1] nonlethal damage
[roll2] cold damage

[roll3]
[roll4] nonlethal damage
[roll5] cold damage

For comparison(Not an actual roll)(For a single attack)
[roll6]
[roll7] nonlethal damage
[roll8] cold damage

Dondasch
2015-11-17, 03:12 PM
Now enveloped by the creature, Rilele begins thrashing, trying to use the remnants of her song's power to break free.

TWF with unarmed strikes against the ooze.
Attack 1: [roll0] to hit, [roll1] nonlethal bludgeoning damage and [roll2] cold damage.
Attack 2: [roll3] to hit, [roll4] nonlethal bludgeoning damage and [roll5] cold damage.
If either attack hits, Rilele will trigger heightened bladeweave against the ooze. (DC 17 Will save vs dazed for one round.)
Final maneuver is recovered.

Nettlekid
2015-11-17, 03:22 PM
The creature tries to stoke itself, digesting. Only Elariel's second strike imparts any substantial force, and you continue to feel the magma thicken. It still scalds you though, dealing 5 points of Fire damage to both of you (none to Elariel after resistance.)

Four rounds remain before the ice runs out.

Archmage1
2015-11-17, 04:17 PM
Still trapped, Elariel continues to strike at the creature, hoping desperately to break free.

[roll0] Attack
[roll1] damage
[roll2] Icy Goodness

[roll3] Attack(Should be -2, not +2, so really a 7)
[roll4] damage
[roll5] Icy Goodness

Dondasch
2015-11-17, 05:22 PM
Rilele continues to struggle.

Initiating vanguard strike against the ooze. If it hits, Elariel gains a +4 bonus on attack rolls for one round
Attack: [roll0] to hit, [roll1] nonlethal bludgeoning damage and [roll2] cold damage.
If the attack hits, Rilele will trigger heightened bladeweave against the ooze. (DC 17 Will save vs dazed for one round.)
Final maneuver is recovered.

Nettlekid
2015-11-17, 09:32 PM
Rilele delivers a decisive blow, the bitter ice spreading from her determined fist and nullifying the monster's heat. An imprint of her knuckles remains on the interior surface of the obsidian skin. Like a bullseye, Elariel targets the mark and doubles down on hitting the vulnerable, hardened spot. Her strike bursts through, and like a softboiled egg yolk the warm obsidian bursts, pushing the pair through the break and onto the cavern floor. The ooze, critically injured and cooled but not entirely dead, slowly begins dropping down the hole it had burst out of.

Archmage1
2015-11-17, 09:35 PM
Seeing the Ooze trying to flee, Elariel shakes her head.
"Oh, no, I don't think so."
With that, she pulls out her longbow, and smashes it into the creature.

[roll0] attack(With quarterstaff)
[roll1] bludgeoning damage
[roll2] more cold damage

Nettlekid
2015-11-17, 09:37 PM
The peculiar magma monster isn't in much state to dodge. Elariel's bow splinters its glassy shards, and the entire creature becomes hard, like a shattered globe. It no longer moves.

Archmage1
2015-11-17, 09:41 PM
After checking that the lavabriers are still at a reasonable distance, Elariel heads over to Rilele, trying to determine if she was all right. Elariel herself is rather singed, and seems to have lost a decent amount of blood through a stab wound.
"Rilele? How badly hurt are you?"

[roll0]
Elariel's at 10/33 hp currently.

Dondasch
2015-11-17, 10:53 PM
"Pretty badly." Rilele injuries are mainly burns, with minor wounds from the sprays of shards. Her bracers had prevented the worst of the lances, at least.

Rilele's at 8/39 hp. The Deathguardian Bracers and crusader's strike will give her some durability though.

Archmage1
2015-11-18, 06:20 AM
Elariel frowns.
"I'm not much better, myself, and my belt only has one charge left for the day. I think it makes more sense to use it on you, but then you'll probably need to lead, or else we need to find somewhere safe to rest for a while."

Nettlekid
2015-11-18, 08:41 AM
The Lavabriers don't seem disturbed by you standing around, and so return to dormancy against the walls of the cavern. For now, everything is still.

Dondasch
2015-11-18, 07:07 PM
"That's a good idea. My bracers would help me survive anyway, so it's likely best to have me in front of you as much as possible."

Archmage1
2015-11-18, 07:21 PM
Elariel nods, and reaches to her belt, to touch it. When she does, a slight blue glow forms around her hand, which she then touches Rilele with. The healing energy flows to Rilele, healing her.

[roll0] Heals!

Afterwards, she steps back, and looks into Rilele's eyes.
"To continue, or not to continue? I think we can continue, because there probably won't be another creature like this... it wouldn't have shared its territory."

Dondasch
2015-11-20, 08:38 AM
"Yes, let's go on for now. There isn't really a good place to rest anyway."

Archmage1
2015-11-20, 08:41 AM
Elariel nods, as she bandages her injuries. After she finishes, she speaks up once more.
"Lead the way."

Nettlekid
2015-11-20, 09:29 AM
Proceeding cautiously through the warm underground tunnels, the pair reaches a point where the ground slopes up and they come closer to the surface. The underground heat diminishes, and the stones become damp. You're less in a tunnel now than a cave, and it seems like a weaker arm of the river was diverted through this path. A short ways ahead, you see a shaft of light breaking down from the roof of the cave. After a moment of observation you realize that the triangular break in the cave's ceiling and the trough in the water is exactly what you'd see if something crashed through the roof at high speed and a sharp angle.

You spend some time carefully searching through the water, sifting the silt and trying to figure out the trajectory of the meteorite from the cave's ceiling break. After an hour or two of searching you do come across a patch of muddy earth that's been baked together, a small crater with a pocket in the center. There's no mistaking it, this is where the meteorite landed, or at least was carried following the earthquake. However, the stone itself is nowhere to be seen.

Archmage1
2015-11-20, 09:56 AM
Excited by the hints discovered, then saddened by the absence of the meteor, Elariel looks around, hoping to spot some hints of who or what removed it.

Trying to use tracking.
[roll0] Survival.
She receives a +4 bonus if the creature can cast arcane spells/invocations, or a +2 if it is undead.

Nettlekid
2015-11-20, 11:51 AM
Faintly in the dried mud on the bank of this river case, Elariel can see the traces of small tracks. They're flat-bottomed, with three pointy toes. They're wide, but light, suggesting small bodies with large feet. There are many tracks, scattered around aimlessly, but they seem to congregate in a line heading further into the verdant foliage.

Archmage1
2015-11-20, 11:57 AM
Elariel points out the tracks to Rilele.
"Looks like someone beat us to it. And they seem to be heading that way, further into the jungle. At a guess, they saw it, and came. After they looked for a while, they found it."

Hoping to see if Elariel can identify the creatures responsible?
[roll0] Nature
[roll1] arcana
[roll2] local
[roll3] dungeoneering

And... also, keeping an eye out for more?
[roll4] perception

Archmage1
2015-11-21, 12:05 PM
"It seems like they were some sort of bipedal tiny reptile, but... I don't think we're going to learn anything more just waiting here. I think it's time to follow along once more, invisibly."

Dondasch
2015-11-23, 08:38 AM
"That sounds like a good idea."

Archmage1
2015-11-23, 08:49 AM
Elariel nods.
"When you're ready."
After Rilele recasts invisibility, Elariel holds Rilele's hand, as she follows the tracks, keeping alert for signs of an ambush.

Nettlekid
2015-11-23, 09:20 AM
It would take an expert tracker to follow one set of prints through the underbrush, but thankfully for the Wanderers there seem to have been at least a dozen of these little things scampering around. Or fewer, going back over their own tracks. In any case, the pair invisibly makes their way deeper into the heart of the forest. They find the main body of the river whose branch had been diverted into the cave, and the trees thin as the water grows stiller, turning from river into marsh. The land is depressed, so that the water which flows in is made to stagnate, and thus a wide valley has formed in this area. But it is not flat marsh. Raised on rickety sticks is an entire tiny town, lifted out of the marsh on stilts. There are straw huts on the marsh itself, but then wooden boxes raised above it. The most notable structure is a tower about the size of a normal house in the center of the town, decorated with paint and plants. There are grooves dug into the swampy mud where clearer water flows, and you can see that the small fish from the river are also being directed into some of these grooves. The inhabitants of this little town are scampering all over: Muckdwellers. There are at least a hundred of the little lizards, and even from the distance you're at you can hear the humming and clicking and growling of their communication.

Archmage1
2015-11-23, 09:42 AM
Elariel pauses as she sees the scene, being sure to keep quiet, while she thinks, and looks.

[roll0] Know: Local
[roll1] know: Nature
Seeking to know more about muckdwellers.

And... having a look, and keeping hidden.
[roll2] perception
[roll3] Stealth

Archmage1
2015-11-23, 09:55 AM
Considering the sight before her, Elariel frowns(Not that anyone can see it.). She then whispers to Rilele.
"Well... looks like they got it first. They're not that intelligent, but they're also rather bad tempered. We can probably sneak in and take it, but... getting caught would be bad. And I'm not at all certain that those structures can take our weight."

Dondasch
2015-11-24, 02:50 PM
Rilele also stops to look around. "If we do sneak in, should we do it together, or just me?"

Archmage1
2015-11-24, 02:54 PM
Elariel continues whispering.
"Either we should both go, or I should go alone. I weigh less than you, and I think I'm a little better at moving unseen than you are. But... there is little cover, and moving through water quietly... is by no means an easy thing. I believe I could do it, but... I could be wrong."

Dondasch
2015-11-24, 03:08 PM
"It should be both of us then. Unless you think you can get in and out in less than five minutes, when the invisibility wears off."

Archmage1
2015-11-24, 03:13 PM
Elariel shakes her head, then remembers the invisibility, as she whispers back.
"Can you recast it silently? I don't think casting in the village is a good idea."

Dondasch
2015-11-25, 08:26 PM
"Not silently, but I know how to make my casting sound like something else."

Archmage1
2015-11-26, 03:05 AM
"It makes sense, I suppose, for you to go. If you do get caught, I think my spells are more likely to be able to blast a way out for you than yours are for me, and if you're caught, you can probably survive longer as well."
Elariel whispers, although she seems almost sad about it.

Archmage1
2015-11-26, 02:28 PM
Then, Elariel shakes her head, and whispers.
"Rather than being idiots, and rushing in, why don't we circle around the village, and see what we can see? Maybe we'll spot something helpful."

With that, knowing that caution is never a bad idea, Elariel, still holding Rilele's hand, starts a circuit around the village, looking around, seeing what she could see.

[roll0] Nature
[roll1] perception
[roll2] survival
[roll3] stealth
I think these would be the main ones, but if I've missed something, I'd be happy to roll it.

Nettlekid
2015-11-26, 02:41 PM
Under the cover of invisibility, the pair is able to get pretty close to the edge of the village and remain undetected, stealthily stepping on grasses to hide footprints. The Muckdwellers are a lively bunch, running back and forth constantly and jabbering at each other. Their economy seems fish-based, and their social status depends on their economic status. Occasionally you see shifts of power as one Muckdweller spits at another and steals the latter's fish, only to hastily gobble them up. In fact this process is cyclical, because every few minutes a handful of Muckdwellers come from the upstream rivulets trailing a woven grass net of fish. The Muckdwellers descend upon the delivery, and the aristocracy of the next hour is determined anew.

The buildings rising out of the marsh seem not to be where the Muckdwellers live, as you can see muddy grass nests beneath them where the creatures presumably sleep. The vantage point from below and far outside is such that you can't really see into the buildings, but based on whatever a Muckdweller carries as it goes in and out (stone tools, or armfuls of herbs, or excess fish) you can guess that these are industry buildings where whatever they craft goes.

As from afar, the large painted building in the center of the town is by far the most notable, and is the only one which actually reaches the ground. Frequently you see Muckdwellers with bone necklaces walk into this large building with grass bowls full of fish and some fruits, and they always emerge with the bowls emptied.

Archmage1
2015-11-26, 02:49 PM
Observing this behaviour, Elariel thinks.
Interesting. Resources means power here, it would seem, and fish are wealth, so but they don't work together, and squabble all the time? But that would leave the priests? who seem to be making offerings? And the offerings are being taken, and no one is taking anything out. I'd guess that the starmetal was offered to whatever is contained inside.
After she finishes, she whispers to Rilele.
"Hm. It looks like fish are their wealth, but there's some sort of temple? I think, in the center. The dwellers seem to be making offerings there, and nothing comes out. If we get a large amount of fish, that might distract them least allowing us passage, but breaking into the temple might be more difficult. Or maybe less. If we can duplicate those necklaces, maybe we can make it appear as if we are making an offering? And get in, and then... something? I think that something lives in there, something that has them under it;s control. And, of course, it will have what we're looking for."

Nettlekid
2015-11-26, 03:04 PM
I mean, the gist of what I described is that all they do is squabble over food constantly. The socioeconomic status part was a little tongue-in-cheek. The "offerings" part is pertinent though. What the astute might notice is that there is no smoke coming from the center building, so there's no fire that they're offering to the gods to, or anything of that nature.

Dondasch
2015-11-28, 12:08 AM
"The main problem with any plan involving diplomacy or disguise is that we are, in fact, not muckdwellers, and I am uncertain how they would react to a human and an elf showing up unexpectedly."

Archmage1
2015-11-28, 12:11 AM
Elariel nods, but she keeps whispering.
"You could disguise yourself as one of them, admittedly, a giant one. But perhaps a distraction is more in order. Perhaps a large amount of fish? Distract most of them, before we try sneaking to that central building? Or we could try to ignite the forest; That might get some attention, letting you sneak in, from the other side. Considering how wet this place is, any fires I make shouldn't spread too much."

Dondasch
2015-11-30, 02:59 PM
"I don't know where we would get the fish, but a distraction may be a good idea. I'm not sure about starting a fire; do you think there would be any other jungle dwellers that would get angry?"

Archmage1
2015-11-30, 03:03 PM
Elariel shrugs, as she whispers back.
"I don't think it's likely that there is much else living in the environment immediately around the village, so I'm unlikely to run into anything too surprising by starting a fire. I'll be careful to set it so that any animals will be able to escape, and it's unlikely to burn for long, given the wet environment, but it should make a good show."
Assuming, of course, that I can get it going in the first place. This is not a good place for a fire.

Dondasch
2015-12-03, 11:10 PM
"I suppose we should do that then. Still, it's a shame to have to destroy part of this place."

Archmage1
2015-12-04, 08:17 AM
Elariel nods, and whispers.
"All right, I'll move over to the far side, to give you the best chance of sneaking through the distracted muckdwellers. You should be able to tell when to start."

So... sneaking over to the far side, and using flaming sphere to start some fires, while leaving ways for the animals and such in the trees to escape the blaze. Big, flashy fires.

[roll0] Stealth
[roll1] Nature(To know how to set the fires?)
[roll2] Survival?

Nettlekid
2015-12-04, 11:12 AM
Are you starting fires in the trees at the edge of the marsh, or are you sending a fireball into the little town? If the trees at the edge catch, it's unlikely the fire will spread across the wet ground by the swamp grasses alone, and reach the town.

Archmage1
2015-12-04, 11:27 AM
The goal is to light the trees on fire, create an impressive show.

Nettlekid
2015-12-04, 11:47 AM
Elariel's fire catches, igniting sap and spreading through to the top of the tree. An excited chatter from the village suggests that the Muckdwellers have noticed it. The flame burns for a few minutes and then the base of the tree weakens enough that the whole thing comes down, crashing in a muddy splash into the swamp and spreading some flame to the neighboring bushes. The Muckdwellers have all run up at this point, and they spread out to focus on the bushes. They run to the edge of the clearing, do an impressively acrobatic belly-slide/somersault to scoop up swamp water into their gullets, and then start peppering the smoldering foliage with squirts of water from their bellies. When empty, then rush back to drink more. They seem to be aware that the fallen tree won't spread considerably into the swamp, but they're putting a lot of attention into the bushes. About half of the whole village has now been drawn to this edge of the swamp.

Archmage1
2015-12-04, 11:48 AM
Moving carefully, and quietly, Elariel continues to try to keep the muckdwellers occupied, lighting new fires as needed, trying to keep it appearing that the fires are spreading naturally, and allowing the wildlife time to escape.

Nettlekid
2015-12-21, 07:31 PM
Subsumed into An Entertaining Fellow (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?472083-An-Entertaining-Fellow-%28Wander-Inn-Mission%29)