PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Can Artificer Infusions be put into magic items?

Anomander
2015-10-07, 03:18 PM
As an Artificer, could I make a Wand of Weapon Augmentation (as an example)? Could a person with the necessary UMD skill levels use the wand as well?

Infusions aren't exactly "spells" and wands hold "spells". That might rule out the wands if I understand that properly.

How about making a custom magic item that casts Weapon Augmentation 1/day?

I could see a few ways of ruling that:

DM declares no-can-do to avoid shenanigans/headaches.
Sure, but it's a specific version of Weapon Augmentation - it only grants Flaming (as an example).
Sure, and the user specifies the type of Weapon Augmentation.

Thoughts from all you experts out there? I've tried Google and stuff, but nothing seems to be coming up.

phlidwsn
2015-10-07, 04:04 PM
You want Minor Schema from Magic of Eberron. Roughly speaking they're scrolls usable 1/day containing explicitly either a spell or infusion 6th or under. Created by the Etch Schema feat. See MoE pg 122 for the rules, and pg 47 for the Etch Schema feat.

Anomander
2015-10-07, 04:08 PM
Aha! They're even Spell Completion items, so an Artificer can use his Metamagic Spell Completion ability with them. Whew.

Nice knowledge there!

Deophaun
2015-10-07, 04:09 PM
They [Infusions] function just like spells and follow all the rules for spells.

Yes. You can make a wand of them if you want.

Forrestfire
2015-10-07, 04:11 PM
Yes and no. As noted, Minor Schemas from Magic of Eberron work for it. In the Eberron Campaign Setting's original printing, artificer infusions were noted to work with both item creation and metamagic feats. It was later errata'd to be just metamagic feats; thus, the RAI seems clear that they aren't meant to, and that Minor Schemas are the only way. However, the infusions entry says they work like spells, so that errata doesn't actually do anything. Ask your DM about that, probably.

In any case, Weapon Augmentation itself can't be put into a Minor Schema. Schemas can't be made of any infusion that has an expensive material component or focus, or has an exp cost. Your best bet would be a Minor Schema of Concurrent Infusions (12,800gp for a minimum CL one), which bypasses that cost and lets you infuse Personal Weapon Augmentation into something.

Aharon
2015-10-07, 04:48 PM
Yes and no. As noted, Minor Schemas from Magic of Eberron work for it. In the Eberron Campaign Setting's original printing, artificer infusions were noted to work with both item creation and metamagic feats. It was later errata'd to be just metamagic feats; thus, the RAI seems clear that they aren't meant to, and that Minor Schemas are the only way. However, the infusions entry says they work like spells, so that errata doesn't actually do anything. Ask your DM about that, probably.

In any case, Weapon Augmentation itself can't be put into a Minor Schema. Schemas can't be made of any infusion that has an expensive material component or focus, or has an exp cost. Your best bet would be a Minor Schema of Concurrent Infusions (12,800gp for a minimum CL one), which bypasses that cost and lets you infuse Personal Weapon Augmentation into something.

If you get this RAW discussion with your DM, he may respond pointing out other strange RAW interactions in crafting (see this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?427019-Actually-Useable-Artificer/page2)).

Anomander
2015-10-08, 09:05 AM

Wow, once again the Playground amazes me! All these answers were great insights.

They function just like spells and follow all the rules for spells.

Yeah, technically RAW says they can be used with Item Creation feats, but I think that in the erratta they were trying to say no they don't, but just failed to do so properly. I won't try to get wands of Infusions.

I love the idea of Schemas of Concurrent Infusions being used to generate Personal Weapon Augmentation and Lesser Armor Augmentations. That's pretty straightforward.