PDA

View Full Version : Optimization What to do about all these undead and evil outsiders?!

Ganonphile
2015-10-07, 04:03 PM
I'm playing an 11th level Inquisitor, and the campaign I'm in is Pathfinder (with limited influences by 3.5 and associated splatbooks, by group approval) based. The campaign is shaping up to be dealing heavily with undead and evil outsiders. Here is my problem. When looking for items (non-weapon based) that deal with evil outsiders and the undead, I ran into an interesting problem: The items I found are for paladins and clerics!

So, your mission, if you'd like to help, is help me gather items that I can use to help put down those nasty undead and evil outsiders, as an inquisitor. Now, the rules for this:

I already have Holy and the appropriate Banes.
I am using a Greatsword and a Buckler (and have a silver and a cold-iron greatsword).
I have a source of flight, and a source of 20% concealment (non-illusionary. Found it in a loot pile!)
I have a Gravewatch Pendant (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/m-p/pendant-gravewatch).
I have a resistance item, natural armor item, and deflection item.
I have a fiendslayer weapon crystal and a undead slayer weapon crystal.
Assume money is relatively no object. If it costs more than 200,000 gold to have this item, or is an intelligent item or an artifact, it won't work.
For the purpose of this optimization, 3.5 Magic Items are allowed, but if its from the Magic Item Compendium, assume its probably going to be twice as expensive.

Awesome Suggestions:

Ghost Shroud, courtesy Dread_Head
Sun Blade, courtesy Nifft
Wraith's Woe Set, courtesy gorfnab
Sacred Item spell, courtesy Anthrowhale

Thank you for your help.

Geddy2112
2015-10-07, 04:35 PM
It honestly seems like you are set. The only thing more would be the ability to channel positive energy. Pick up a few scrolls of heal for powerful undead, and banishment for outsiders. Pro evil is a must know spell.

The spectral shroud gives you constant see invisibility for a pretty good price. I also like the inquisitors bastion vambraces for the wrist slot.

FocusWolf413
2015-10-07, 04:42 PM
You seem to be pretty solid. What do you think is lacking?

Kelb_Panthera
2015-10-07, 05:01 PM
Do you have a way to strike against incorporeals beside spells? If not, there are a few special materials and special substances available; stable ectoplasm, that blue wood from BoED, the ghost touch property, etc.

Dread_Head
2015-10-07, 05:07 PM
Do you have a way to strike against incorporeals beside spells? If not, there are a few special materials and special substances available; stable ectoplasm, that blue wood from BoED, the ghost touch property, etc.

Get a Ghost Shroud (MIC) its pretty cheap so even doubled it is entirely reasonable and it grants the ghost touch property to any weapon you wield. I don't leave home without it on any martial character past level 8 or 9.

Nifft
2015-10-07, 05:08 PM
Overall your gear looks pretty good.

Can you deal with Incorporeal monsters?

Can you deal with ability damage & level drain?

Can you stop a teleporting fiend from teleporting away?

Daylight (or another high-level [Light] effect) can be useful against some fiends & some undead. Maybe pick up a Sunblade as your backup weapon?

gorfnab
2015-10-07, 05:48 PM
How about a Shirt of Wraith Stalking (MIC)?

Anthrowhale
2015-10-07, 08:08 PM
'Sacred Item', despite the name, is a spell in complete champion which does 10d4 positive energy damage to undead, evil outsiders, and evil shapechangers. The permanent-until-discharged duration makes it an excellent off-time buff which a party cleric/paladin can provide on your items if you have access to one. An archer with Maximized Empowered Sacred Item arrows and a Serren wood bow can make range touch attacks do reliable significant damage to long range.

Ganonphile
2015-10-08, 12:11 AM
So many good responses, alright!

I also like the inquisitors bastion vambraces for the wrist slot.

I've always considered the Inquisitor's Bastion Vambraces (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/r-z/vambraces-inquisitor-s-bastion), but they've always confused me. According to the miscellaneous modifiers section (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Combat-Maneuver-Defense) for the rules on calculating your CMD, you already add any sacred bonuses to your AC to your CMD. And since, to the best of my knowledge, sacred bonuses don't stack, so this just becomes a bonus to cast spells defensively, right?

Though I'm totally noting that Spectral Shroud. Its nifty.

Overall your gear looks pretty good.

Can you deal with Incorporeal monsters?

Can you deal with ability damage & level drain?

Can you stop a teleporting fiend from teleporting away?

Daylight (or another high-level [Light] effect) can be useful against some fiends & some undead. Maybe pick up a Sunblade as your backup weapon?

And from the top (since this covers most of the questions):

The lesser truedeath crystal (I noted it as an undead slayer crystal, I'll fix that) let's me strike at incorporeal undead, so that's solved.
Level drain and negative energy is going to be handled by making an item of Death Ward. As for ability damage and drain... that's a tough one. The only way around that one is Heal and the Restorations. There isn't a way to gain a resistance to it (well, there is, but I didn't make an Oracle or a Sorcerer or someone who gets immunity to it :smallsmile: ).
Teleporting fiends are handled by the Greater Fiendslayer crystal. Anything hit by that is locked down for a round.
Now... that Sunblade would be an awesome addition! Let me add that to my list...

The Shirt of Wraith Stalking is an interesting set item that I'll look into. In fact, the entire set is very nice.

As for why I'm looking at more options, most of my gear is pretty much 'Numbers for the sake of numbers'. I'm hoping to be able to do more nifty, flavorful things when fighting these types of creatures.

Svata
2015-10-08, 12:16 AM
Portable hole full of holy water?

Kelb_Panthera
2015-10-08, 03:07 AM
There are incorporeal outsiders. You should probably get a more generally applicable way to hit incorporeal foes, at least IMO.

Dread_Head
2015-10-08, 05:05 AM
Orb of Mental Renewal / Rod of Bodily Restoration from the Magic Item Compendium heal ability damage daily for a pretty cheap price.

Psyren
2015-10-08, 10:56 AM
I've always considered the Inquisitor's Bastion Vambraces (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/r-z/vambraces-inquisitor-s-bastion), but they've always confused me. According to the miscellaneous modifiers section (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Combat-Maneuver-Defense) for the rules on calculating your CMD, you already add any sacred bonuses to your AC to your CMD. And since, to the best of my knowledge, sacred bonuses don't stack, so this just becomes a bonus to cast spells defensively, right?

Agreed, this item makes little sense - sacred AC bonuses already get added to CMD.

I suggest getting a Bane Baldric (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/baldric-bane) for an extra 5 rounds (read: an extra combat) of Bane per day.