PDA

View Full Version : Defenestrating Sphere

Tyger
2007-05-21, 08:03 AM
Does using this spell (once you've cast it) take a move action, or a move action and an attack action?

Based on a cursory reading it seems to say that you can just use your move actions, which would allow you to continue casting spells while directing this thing to attack... or am I reading that wrong?

Attilargh
2007-05-21, 08:31 AM
Wait, is this a spell for throwing stuff out of a window? Where can I find it?

henebry
2007-05-21, 08:40 AM
Wait, is this a spell for throwing stuff out of a window? Where can I find it?

It is in the Spell Compendium (of course) and I think it's also in Complete Arcane.

As for the OP's question, the wording seems unambiguous to me:

As a move action, you can make the sphere travel up to 30 ft. per round and strike a creature or object you indicate as a ranged touch attack.
Not to go grammatical on you, but "As a move action" functions as a sentence adverb: that is to say, it modifies the entire clause which follows. So "As a move action" you make the sphere both travel AND strike a creature or object. (I actually do teach a grammar class. Funny, eh?)

Gygaxphobia
2007-05-21, 09:03 AM
I would have preferred a Discombobulating Sphere

Tyger
2007-05-21, 09:46 AM
Not to go grammatical on you, but "As a move action" functions as a sentence adverb: that is to say, it modifies the entire clause which follows. So "As a move action" you make the sphere both travel AND strike a creature or object. (I actually do teach a grammar class. Funny, eh?)

That's how I look at that too, but the "with a ranged touch attack" part that follows could be read to mean that you use a move action to move the sphere, and then need to use a ranged touch attack (an attack action) so in other words, while this spell is active, you don't do jack other than hit stuff with it.

And yeah Attilargh, its a pretty nifty spell. And yes, it does throw people out windows. :smallbiggrin:

the_tick_rules
2007-05-21, 09:56 AM
what's this sphere do? the name is amusing.

Renx
2007-05-21, 09:57 AM
Lawl, defenstrating sphere. I like it. Divine/arcane ?

//Edit1: Ah, found it,
Defenestrating Sphere, Sorc/Wiz 4 from Complete Arcane.
<Evoc[air], VSM(100gp gray pearl), 1StdAct,Medium-range, 1rnd/lvl(D), SR applies>
– Creates a 2’ radius sphere of air that the caster can move 30’ as a Move Action. If the sphere succeeds on a ranged touched attack, the target takes 3d6 damage (no save) and is knocked Prone (FortNeg, creatures larger than Medium-size are immune). A creature knocked Prone is thrown 1d8 x 10’ into the air (a new Fortitude save to negate) and lands 1d6 hexes in a random direction, taking all the appropriate falling damage.

//Edit2: ...interesting spell. Very, very interesting. 1d8+10' into the air, meaning at max 90' (Does a *maximized* def sphere maximize this, too? Is this usable during the round it's cast? I should think so, as its cast time is 1 standard action. Answering the original question, the wording is a bit ambiguous on that, but as you can *move* it 30', and can hit *on a ranged touch attack*... well, up to the DM, I guess, but the implication is strong that you need to make an attack with it.

//Edit3: Ah, found the original descption (non-crystal-keep one), it states 'As a move action, you can make the sphere travel 30' and strike the creature or object you designate as a ranged attack'. The range damage is 1d6 per 10' fall, and 1d6 per 10' you were unable to hit, ie in a narrow corridor (say 10') and maximized, you'd get 8d6 damage for hitting the ceiling, then 1d6 damage for falling back... so think 9d6 damage always, assuming no automatic feather fall. 3d6 assured and potential 12d6 damage? Not at all shabby for a 4th level spell. Sadly, no increase so I'm betting this is good starter spell for anyone who hits 9th level.

Fax Celestis
2007-05-21, 10:41 AM
//Edit2: ...interesting spell. Very, very interesting. 1d8+10' into the air, meaning at max 90' (Does a *maximized* def sphere maximize this, too? Is this usable during the round it's cast? I should think so, as its cast time is 1 standard action. Answering the original question, the wording is a bit ambiguous on that, but as you can *move* it 30', and can hit *on a ranged touch attack*... well, up to the DM, I guess, but the implication is strong that you need to make an attack with it.
Yes and yes.

OzymandiasVolt
2007-05-21, 11:20 AM
The wording is crystal clear. You use a move action. That move action causes two things: movement and an attack. The attack happens if you move the sphere into someone. Not that complicated.

Arbitrarity
2007-05-21, 11:59 AM
Sphere does the touch attack, not you.

Seffbasilisk
2007-05-21, 12:19 PM
As said before, the sphere does the touch attack. So you move action to move it in, standard action to do something else (drink a potion of invisibility perhaps? or fly so you don't get bullrushed into it?)

Komarov
2007-05-21, 01:05 PM
This spell's name is very misleading...there have to be windows involved. The word "defenestration" comes from the German "fenster", for "window". They did add the falling damage in there, though, so it makes a little sense...

A vaguely-related article for the masses:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defenestrations_of_Prague

Fax Celestis
2007-05-21, 01:09 PM
The spell does specify: "if there is a window within range of the spell, the target is thrown towards it instead of straight up."

Komarov
2007-05-21, 01:11 PM
The spell does specify: "if there is a window within range of the spell, the target is thrown towards it instead of straight up."
True, true. I still think it'd be better, if, say "a window to another dimension opens, and you throw the target through it", eh?

:smallwink:

Tyger
2007-05-21, 01:13 PM
This spell's name is very misleading...there have to be windows involved. The word "defenestration" comes from the German "fenster", for "window". They did add the falling damage in there, though, so it makes a little sense...

A vaguely-related article for the masses:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defenestrations_of_Prague

They included the window factor in... if there is a window nearby, the enemy is automatically tossed towards it. :smallsmile:

And yes, glad to see that others are thinking the way that I was. My DM is known to randomly put limits on things that aren't necessarily the intent but are within the RAW. At least now I have my counter arguments ready when he does so with this spell.

FYI Renx, posting that stuff from Crystal Keep is a good way (as I understand the forum rules) to get this locked and deleted. Please don't post non-OGL stuff, regardless of where you get it.

Komarov
2007-05-21, 02:47 PM
edit: would taking actions while 'flying' slow you down? I can just imagine someone hovering in air, decending 5' a round, because they're full attacking the air...
I'm pretty certain trying to figure this out would make my head explode, but...I'll get back to you on that (please, someone beat me to it).

Dark_Wind
2007-05-21, 04:53 PM
would taking actions while 'flying' slow you down? I can just imagine someone hovering in air, decending 5' a round, because they're full attacking the air...

Depends on maneuverability. If you have good/perfect maneuverablity (ie. you can hover), then you can take all the actions you like and not lose altitude. Anything less, and you have to maintain a minimum rate of movement in any given round or you fall (what this minimum movemement distance is varies).

Aquillion
2007-05-21, 07:43 PM
Hmm, you could render someone quite helpless with this--they'd spend so much time moving around (rising/falling) that they wouldn't have time left in the round for anything else, kinda like that gag where someone jumps, and doesn't finish their move until the next round because they've used all their movement.Sure... if it succeeds on a ranged touch attack and they fail two saves, every round. And assuming they're no larger than medium, in which case the spell won't work at all beyond the 3d6 damage.

SpiderBrigade
2007-05-21, 08:00 PM
Not to go into pedantic mode, but defenestration actually owes its root to the Latin fenestra, from which the German word Fenster also descends.

F.H. Zebedee
2007-05-21, 08:41 PM
What happens if they're in a room with multiple windows? It select a random one?

Also, what if you hit somebody who's halfway through a window?

I just feel like being a nuisance.

Renx
2007-05-22, 02:44 AM
What happens if they're in a room with multiple windows? It select a random one?

You're split into exactly <multiple>, same-sized parts that fly towards their respective windows, of course.

Also, what if you hit somebody who's halfway through a window?

1. You fall towards the window
2. You fall back, jigsawing
3. Paradox.
4. ????
5. Profit.

Aquillion
2007-05-22, 11:24 AM
What if you're having a flying battle outside of a tower, near a window? Would a defenestrating sphere throw people into the building?

What if I stick a sphere of annihilation in a window?

What if I have my Unseen Servant carry around a lightweight window made of wood or wires? What if it's a board with teleportation circle to some horrible place on it, and a window painted in the middle?

Latronis
2007-05-22, 11:39 AM
What if there's a beholder who believes eyes are the windows to the soul?

Dark_Wind
2007-05-22, 03:28 PM
What if there's a beholder who believes eyes are the windows to the soul?

He implodes.