PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Spellsword Homebrew Class

McNinja
2015-10-07, 08:15 PM
Here's my take on the Spellsword class - hopefully it's not too OP!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_HIzXL8ft2TSzZ4ZVBQTmNJYkk/view?usp=sharing

JNAProductions
2015-10-08, 03:22 AM
Just kinda glancing over it, but I notice something-you have more Ki than a Monk of the same level early on. That seems unfair.

McNinja
2015-10-08, 05:12 AM
Just kinda glancing over it, but I notice something-you have more Ki than a Monk of the same level early on. That seems unfair.I don't know about unfair... because of their spells, anything less could be severely limiting, compared to the Monk. And while the Spellsword does have more ki than the monk until level 4, the spellsword has 50% less ki than a monk at level 15.

The spellswork has Arcane Strike, one arcantum, and 3 ki at 2nd level. Not a whole lot to spend your ki on at that level, whereas the monk gets a ton of utility and the possiblity of 3 attacks in a turn. At level 3, the spellsword has 4 ki, Arcane strike, still 1 arcantum, and now they have a couple additional spells and Ki features, putting a lot more decision-making into how you're going to use your ki.

Submortimer
2015-10-08, 08:27 AM
Neat idea, taking the monk chassis and applying it to an arcane warrior type class.

In execution, this thing is horribly OP, pretty much entirely based on the Arcantums. Something like what you suggest should be about as powerful as a Warlock Invocation, and several of them are VASTLY more powerful, to the point that people would be dumb not to take them.

McNinja
2015-10-08, 08:51 AM
Neat idea, taking the monk chassis and applying it to an arcane warrior type class.

In execution, this thing is horribly OP, pretty much entirely based on the Arcantums. Something like what you suggest should be about as powerful as a Warlock Invocation, and several of them are VASTLY more powerful, to the point that people would be dumb not to take them.
How so? I can definitely see thousand blades and perhaps battle magic as OP. We're there others you think are more powerful than they should be? I could raise the ki cost for thousand blades by 2 and the level requirement for battle magic by 3.

Submortimer
2015-10-08, 11:56 AM
Thousand blades and Battle magic are the least of your issues

- arcane archer stacks far too well with Archery for getting sharpshooter bonus damage.
- Greater infusion is laughably OP. Magic weapons that grant +1 or more to hit and damage are highly rare in this version for a reason.
- cantrip infusion should not do bonus damage based on number of dice. The ONLY thing that does that is the Warlock's Agonizing Blast, and then only for one specific cantrip.
- Arcane resistance: first ability, way too strong at the level you get it. Second ability: Hell. No.

I appreciate the intent, but you cherry picked a bunch of abilities from other classes, and gave them access to 9th level spells to boot.

McNinja
2015-10-09, 07:33 PM
Thousand blades and Battle magic are the least of your issues

- arcane archer stacks far too well with Archery for getting sharpshooter bonus damage.
- Greater infusion is laughably OP. Magic weapons that grant +1 or more to hit and damage are highly rare in this version for a reason.
- cantrip infusion should not do bonus damage based on number of dice. The ONLY thing that does that is the Warlock's Agonizing Blast, and then only for one specific cantrip.
- Arcane resistance: first ability, way too strong at the level you get it. Second ability: Hell. No.

I appreciate the intent, but you cherry picked a bunch of abilities from other classes, and gave them access to 9th level spells to boot.I was going to update the doc with some changed based on your comments, but I have a few other ideas to make the class more unique and less cherry-picky, so I need to do some reworking of the class.

Thanks for the feedback!