PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Ravenloft Halloween Game: Help!

Ninjadeadbeard
2015-10-07, 11:18 PM
This right here (https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/2fxgh3/i6_ravenloft_converted_to_5e_in_time_for_halloween/) is a sweet conversion of the original Ravenloft Adventure for 5E. I love it and want to run it for my party on the 31st.

But. I'm concerned. I only have 3 players and no one wanted to play healer. The module states that:

This module is designed for a party of six characters (PCs) of the 5th level of experience. A balance of character classes is helpful since the PCs will face a wide variety of problems. Each character class will certainly have its moment to shine. At least one of the PCs must be a fighter with a longsword.

So if I have 3 PCs (Goo Warlock, Champ Fighter, Magical Girl (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19857327&postcount=1)) ...do I need to up their level? How can I run this without screwing up?

Fighting_Ferret
2015-10-08, 08:10 AM
Well you have 3 options:

1) Over level your PCs and hand out overpowered loot, however, due to bounded accuracy, this is perhaps the worst way to do this.
2) give your group some NPCs to fill out the party.
3)Straight up nerf the module to make it more accessible to your 3 players. This means lowering monsters CR and the amount of them, as well as reducing the lethality of traps. This module isn't meant for the PCs to get the chance to rest in the castle... they would have to leave the castle in order to do so safely. Any vampire that gets off a successful bite attack lowers the PCs current and maximum health by 3d10. A good roll could outright kill a lower HD character and cripple a high HD one.

If they are comfortable running 2 characters, I'd let everyone run 2, with a focus on rounding the party out a bit. Don't worry about the fighter with the longsword, as weapon focus and specialty isn't a thing anymore, but they will still want someone who can use longswords, as there is a really nice weapon of that type that can greatly assist the PCs in their fight against the undead count.

endur
2015-10-08, 12:32 PM
Well you have 3 options:

1) Over level your PCs and hand out overpowered loot, however, due to bounded accuracy, this is perhaps the worst way to do this.
2) give your group some NPCs to fill out the party.
3)Straight up nerf the module to make it more accessible to your 3 players. This means lowering monsters CR and the amount of them, as well as reducing the lethality of traps. This module isn't meant for the PCs to get the chance to rest in the castle... they would have to leave the castle in order to do so safely. Any vampire that gets off a successful bite attack lowers the PCs current and maximum health by 3d10. A good roll could outright kill a lower HD character and cripple a high HD one.

If they are comfortable running 2 characters, I'd let everyone run 2, with a focus on rounding the party out a bit. Don't worry about the fighter with the longsword, as weapon focus and specialty isn't a thing anymore, but they will still want someone who can use longswords, as there is a really nice weapon of that type that can greatly assist the PCs in their fight against the undead count.

I highly recommend #3. Reducing monster Cr and the amount of them, and the lethality of traps.

If you aren't comfortable with #3, I would then choose option #1.

I would choose option #2, additional NPCs or having players run 2 PCs each only as a last resort. #2 has the greatest risk of reducing fun. #3 and #1 just have issues of scaling.

With regards to the lack of healer, the way you scale will impact it. But you could just rely upon the party's healing, or you could give them some healing magical items (potions, wands, etc.).