PDA

View Full Version : Someone Flamed me in a PM!

RationalGoblin
2007-05-21, 09:09 AM
As it says in the title, Someone did flame me in a PM.

He was apparently a new member, and he double posted.
I calmly informed him of the rule against double-posting, not saying that he would get banned or anything like that, and he Pmed me.

In the Pm, he cursed at me, also saying that he was new, (which I knew before he told me.)

I then again, calmly informed him, this time in a pm, that it would be easier on him if he would have read the rules before he registered. I also said something to the effect of, "why are you getting angry, it won't help."

He then told me that he would stay angry and to leave him alone. I did.

Am I in the right for this?

EDIT: I also said something to the effect of, "please stop swearing at me."

Dr._Weird
2007-05-21, 09:18 AM
Did he try to bypass the filter?

RationalGoblin
2007-05-21, 09:26 AM
He never cursed OUTSIDE the PM, so if he tried, (and apparently succeded) cursing at me IN the PM, does that count?

Dr._Weird
2007-05-21, 09:35 AM
So wait, the filter isn't active inside PM-land? Interesting.

Just report him and move on.

Samiam303
2007-05-21, 09:51 AM
As long as you didn't violate any rules in your response, you're completely in the right. I'd just forward the PM(s) to a mod and be done with it.

Matthew
2007-05-21, 09:58 AM
Yep, you should inform a Moderator, as the same rules apply to PMs as do to posting.

RationalGoblin
2007-05-21, 10:06 AM
So, how do I report someone again? I've never done that on any forum, even when someone has flamed me.

How do you do it? Just send a PM to a Mod?

B-Man
2007-05-21, 10:07 AM
So wait, the filter isn't active inside PM-land? Interesting.
Nope, the filters are active inside PM. But there are lots of ways to bypass the filter.

Just report him and move on.
Yeah, just report him.

Renegade Paladin
2007-05-21, 10:32 AM
Are you hurt? Where's the blood and broken bones? Seriously, I'm not seeing anything to get worked up over.

Captain van der Decken
2007-05-21, 10:37 AM
The rules breakage. Even if you wouldn't mind it, some do.

Zephra
2007-05-21, 10:42 AM
click the little ! triangle button near his aviatar, and also forward the post to a mod.

Dr._Weird
2007-05-21, 10:43 AM
So, how do I report someone again? I've never done that on any forum, even when someone has flamed me.

How do you do it? Just send a PM to a Mod?

There should be some sort of button. I dunno, I never have to use it.

Vonriel
2007-05-21, 10:56 AM
I don't think there's a report button for PMs, at least, not one I could see. On a normal post, there's a triangle next to the online/offline indicator that you can use, but I think for a PM you just have to forward it to the proper mod. Maybe?

Tormsskull
2007-05-21, 11:00 AM
I'm interested to see the outcome of this. I know back on WotC's boards this exact thing happened to me but when I forwarded it I was told that there was no way for the mods to determine if the PM was authentic or if I had just made it up, so they could take no action. They said to just ignore him.

Emperor Tippy
2007-05-21, 11:05 AM
RawBear used to be the only 1 who could see PM's. But that was pre board switch and now I'm not sure.

RationalGoblin
2007-05-21, 11:44 AM
There's no triangle button in PMs..

So what now?

slapdash
2007-05-21, 11:47 AM
Forward it to a mod.

Roland St. Jude
2007-05-21, 12:48 PM
1. The board rules apply everywhere, including in PMs. So if someone violates a board rule in a PM, you are welcome to report it. We do not read people's PMs to enforce the rules, but if called upon in a specific instance, we will. (The power to do so is limited to Admins, however).

2. There is no "Report" feature for PMs; so to report a PM, you need to forward it to a moderator (preferably the board guru WampaX) with an explanation of what happened.

3. This is why we forbid vigilante moderation. If someone violates a board rule, please use the "Report Post" feature (the triangle with an exclamation point located near the username and avatar on every post). We would rather be the ones reminding folks of the rules to avoid this very type of conflict.