PDA

View Full Version : Question about Carts, Carriages, & Wagons

crimson77
2007-05-21, 10:27 AM
Here is the question:

How many squares does a cart, carriage, sled, and wagon take up?

Carriage
This four-wheeled vehicle can transport as many as four people within an enclosed cab, plus two drivers. In general, two horses (or other beasts of burden) draw it. A carriage comes with the harness needed to pull it.

Cart
This two-wheeled vehicle can be drawn by a single horse (or other beast of burden). It comes with a harness.

Sled
This is a wagon on runners for moving through snow and over ice. In general, two horses (or other beasts of burden) draw it. A sled comes with the harness needed to pull it.

Wagon
This is a four-wheeled, open vehicle for transporting heavy loads. In general, two horses (or other beasts of burden) draw it. A wagon comes with the harness needed to pull it.

I know that a horse takes up two five foot squares

Charity
2007-05-21, 10:40 AM
I go for cart and carriage as 6 and wagon as 8... but I fear there is no hard and fast rule, so whatever seems reasonable to you really.

On a sort of related note.
I have issues with carts and such multi passenger vehicles. In combat, the cart moves when the handler has their go, so that means some one can wait on the cart and then jump off the front to double move travelling twice as far as normal then fight for a round get back on the cart and carry on, due to the annoying way combat works... has anyone else considered needlessly complicating matters with an SFB impulse move chart or similar... though it would knacker initiative... Ok bad idea so, what do you guys do about moving carts and passengers?

Emperor Tippy
2007-05-21, 10:52 AM
I believe that the Arm's and Equipment Guide has the info.

goat
2007-05-21, 12:21 PM
I know that a horse takes up two five foot squares

There's an argument about that in another thread, I forget which.

Basically, what it came down to (as far as I recall) was that a horse only needs a five foot wide gap to move through, but a horse in combat situations takes up a 10x10 space as it moves around.

I'd say that the size of a cart, carriage or whatever is entirely dependant on the size you want it to be. A large coach pulled by 4 horses could probably take about 6 people inside, 4 outside. On the other hand, a small peddlers cart might only take up a five foot square and be pulled by his donkey.

Something pulled by trained elephants...

Accersitus
2007-05-21, 04:28 PM
My advice to you, is to stay away from all plans that depend on Carts, Carriages, or Wagons. In my experience, Carts, Carriages, & Wagons are one use only items since they get destroyed, stolen, lost, left behind........
In low power settings with limited resources, this can be a major money drain :smallannoyed:
I remember a vampire the masquerade campaign I played in, where we used 5 Carriages in 2 sessions because they were destroyed or left behind in hostile territory

goat
2007-05-21, 04:49 PM
My advice to you, is to stay away from all plans that depend on Carts, Carriages, or Wagons. In my experience, Carts, Carriages, & Wagons are one use only items since they get destroyed, stolen, lost, left behind........

A wagon's what, about 30GP? Some mules or donkeys to pull it are about 10GP each.

If you're rich enough to be annoyed about your travelling conditions, you're rich enough to buy carriages and horses without any problem.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-21, 04:56 PM
As Emperor Tippy said; the Arms & Equipment Guide have the answers.
In fact, it has a whole chapter dealing with vehicles of different kinds.

Carriage: 2x3 five-foot squares

Cart: 1x2 five-foot squares

Sled: 1x3 five-foot squares

Wagon: 2x3 five-foot squares

On a sort of related note.
I have issues with carts and such multi passenger vehicles. In combat, the cart moves when the handler has their go, so that means some one can wait on the cart and then jump off the front to double move travelling twice as far as normal then fight for a round get back on the cart and carry on, due to the annoying way combat works... has anyone else considered needlessly complicating matters with an SFB impulse move chart or similar... though it would knacker initiative... Ok bad idea so, what do you guys do about moving carts and passengers?

Have any vehicle movement actions count against movement/actions made by the driver or passenger as when riding a mount.

crimson77
2007-05-22, 10:42 AM
Thanks for your help, you have been very helpful. I made images to remind me for later.

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/5756/cartwagonsledwi4.png

KoDT69
2007-05-22, 05:12 PM
Well all of the above make great spare parts for an impromtu seige engine! :smallamused: